Using a 24" DH Tire for a Kid's Fatbike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Using a 24" DH Tire for a Kid's Fatbike

I am running out of options, and just found a couple 24x2.5" DH tires that I think would fit on my daughters bike. But the tires (Kenda Nevegal DH and Maxxis High Roller) are dual ply, and I'm wondering that at even low PSI, if the tires will deform / spread with only a 50 pound girl on. And if it did, what would the ride quality be like? Really harsh and not quick to conform to the ground.

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Specialized also just released some 20 and 24" 'plus' bikes, I believe with a 2.8" tire. I don't know if the tires are available aftermarket yet though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wrote Specialized and haven't heard back from them. But have the bikes even been released, as even on their website they don't have a price on them. I think the 24+ would be too big for my daughter's frame, but the 20+ would be perfect for my sons.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I am running out of options, and just found a couple 24x2.5" DH tires that I think would fit on my daughters bike. But the tires (Kenda Nevegal DH and Maxxis High Roller) are dual ply, and I'm wondering that at even low PSI, if the tires will deform / spread with only a 50 pound girl on. And if it did, what would the ride quality be like? Really harsh and not quick to conform to the ground.

Thanks - BS
    I actually rode four ply three inch tires for some time, and found them to be great, especially if you actually needed that much grip. I can't imagine a two ply HR wouldn't be just great at the right pressure, but you may want more float?

mtbr member
    How wide are the rims that you are running? Put some 47mm trials rims on there should spread any 2.0+ tire out really well (at 50lbs you don't have to worry about pinch flats as much).

Also schwalbe bmx tires might work as well. Little people can run way lower pressures...
    Table Top, 57-507, Black-Skin, Wire | Schwalbe North America - tabletop
    Crazy Bob, 60-507, Black, Wire | Schwalbe North America - crazy bob
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    She has 24" Stans Crest rims which are 24.4mm wide with 24x2.1" Schwalbe Racing Rons. I like the idea of using a wider rim, do you have any pics of what a 2.0+ tire would look like on a wide rim like that?

mtbr member
    I've got the 47mm rims on my daughters fatty. - I can snap some pictures later if you need. But the tires are 4" so not really apples to apples but I really like the rims I got from NW trials, they laced up nice and you can put colored ribbons in there (very important for little girls you know).
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I saw those rims at NWTrails too, and definitely a good deal for the rims. Still a little leery to put such a small tire on a wide rim.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for max size rim width for a given sized tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, I have put a 4" tire on a 100mm rim, so 2.5" tire on 47mm should be about the same ratio, I'd say it's worth trying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My son has been riding 24x2.4 Fat Alberts on 47mm NWTrials rims for 2.5years with tubes. Currently about 70lbs, probably mid 50's back at the start.

Only one picture available to share, but essentially the sidewalls are pretty much straight up and parallel with the outer face of the rim. The tread is squared off at the shoulder knobs and flat across the tread. I never measure the pressures but he gets plenty of sidewall flex, just like I would on my true fat bike. They are loose on the rim yet never rolled a bead off but can tell that the tire is slipping along the rim because the valve stem is tilting. Tubed is probably key here.

Looks kind of weird but he loves it. I'd go bigger if the frame fit them, but no.

Using a 24" DH Tire for a Kid's Fatbike-img_1033.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The Fat Alberts mentioned above weren't available when I was dabbling in this.
    I rode a high roller for a while in '00, and it was too stiff for 180 pound me on snow. I think your theory is sound, but when I tried this with my oldest, I could not find a suitable tire to make it work. If I could afford it, I would get a on-one or mini-sotta for my youngest, but realistically, she is going to just wait another year and get her brother's XS mukluk.
    Right now, my 8 year old is getting towed on either a modified Burley Piccolo or a sled, and her 12 year old brother is on the Mukluk.
    The 8 year old can ride the Mukluk, but still lacks horsepower to move it through snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another Picture
    Using a 24" DH Tire for a Kid's Fatbike-dsc_0086.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks to all for all the info. I think I am going to try and do bme107's 47mm rim and Fat Alberts. I would really like to get this to work, as I could make her 20# hardtail a 22# fat bike with already good parts and tranmission.

bme, is there anyway you can tell me what the width of the tire at its great point is? So I can make sure this will work.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll try to remember to measure at home. If I had to guess I'd say it's only a few mm wider than the rim on each side, something like 55-60mm.
    BTW, we accomplished this by using a 26er frame. Stuffing it in a 24" frame may not work.

Other misc info:
    Shimano Deore front hub, rim, straight gage spokes, nipples= 995g (total wheel)
    SRAM 506 rear hub, ","," = 1275g (total wheel)
    24x2.4 Fat Albert Pace Star 62-507 = 721g and 759g
    24x47mm NWTrials Neon rim = 533g and 525g

mtbr member
    24x3" tires were a thing for awhile in DH during the early-mid 2000's. It was to make a stronger rear wheel. Sometimes you can still find them old stock and gently used. They don't have the volume as our 3" Knards and such these days. They might fit?

You can also find 24x2.5 Maxxis Holy Rollers which are high volume but probably not good in snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Spesh made a big hit pro tire in 24x3 and it was one of the best snow tires of 2001, but I tried to find some in about 2010 and could not. They had supple sidewalls which made them suck for downhill, but good for snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Thanks to all for all the info. I think I am going to try and do bme107's 47mm rim and Fat Alberts. I would really like to get this to work, as I could make her 20# hardtail a 22# fat bike with already good parts and tranmission.

bme, is there anyway you can tell me what the width of the tire at its great point is? So I can make sure this will work.

Thanks again - BS
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I'll try to remember to measure at home. If I had to guess I'd say it's only a few mm wider than the rim on each side, something like 55-60mm.
    60mm on the nose to the widest point on casing, which is about 3/4" down from the tallest point on the tread.
    56-58mm to the widest point on the tread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks BME

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    60mm on the nose to the widest point on casing, which is about 3/4" down from the tallest point on the tread.
    56-58mm to the widest point on the tread.
    I think that will be too much for her 24" frame, but I did guy a pair of fat Alberts. If anyone is looking for a pair, it is $80 a piece on amazon, but I got two shipped from Germany for $94.

Thanks again - BS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi guys, have the same dilemma here...convinced the extra volume would make it a smoother ride
    Tried the specialized 2.8 tire but didn't fit...would have been a blast, especially at $25.

So BS, where have you found the Fat Albert finally ? Pretty hard to find locally.

The High Roller seems really heavy for the kid.

What about using a regular rim with the Fat Al ?

Thanks guy,

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Special order through your shop or https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...res/fat_albert

It works fine with a regular rim (18-24mm).

Could you weigh the Specialized 24x2.8 for me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sure I'll try to wheight that for you tonight.

(For my personal knowledge What would be the advantage of larger rims ?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Djee View Post
    Hi guys, have the same dilemma here...convinced the extra volume would make it a smoother ride
    Tried the specialized 2.8 tire but didn't fit...would have been a blast, especially at $25.

So BS, where have you found the Fat Albert finally ? Pretty hard to find locally.

The High Roller seems really heavy for the kid.

What about using a regular rim with the Fat Al ?

Thanks guy,
    The Fat Alberts helped quite a bit on snow, but she was happy to get back to her normal Rocket Rons when the snow was gone. We ran them super low pressure (5ish psi) tubeless and they had much better traction and float, but still not as much as my Bud/Lous even though I weigh 4x what she does. I got them at bike-components.de, for around $90 shipped. Last year I got a bunch of Schwalbe tires on Cyber Monday as they had a 40% (I believe) discount code, so maybe look there if you can wait.

And a wider rim allows for a wider contact patch, especially at lower pressures. I just ran the Alberts on her normal Stan's Crest rims, and they were still decent. But a wider tire would definitely do better with a wider rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    So the Specialized big roller sport 24x2.8 tire weight 880 gr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks BS for the comments...so not as good for the dirt ?