Used vs New entry-level Fat Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Used vs New entry-level Fat Bike

Hi all - pondering options for a first foray into fatbikes. I'm still perusing the local channels for a used Salsa or Surly-type, but funds are pretty limited, so I'm also exploring the Framed options.

The outlet has new Minnesota 1.2s for $549. I'm between S and M sizes, so this gives me the option of going for a small, should I desire.

Also found someone selling a Minnesota 3.0 with 2 extra sets of wheels for the same price. It's used, but supposedly in great condition (of course). This involves a 3 hour extravaganza each way, including a ferry ride, but the thought of a Swiss-army knife bike is somewhat appealing. How useful are extra wheelsets anyhow?

Curious what y'all's thoughts are regarding new lower tier vs used slightly higher tier (+ the additional 29er wheelsets)? The main differences I can see between the 2 are the drivetrains (1 x 10 SRAM X5 vs 2 x 10 X7), Brakes (BB5 vs BB7) and weight (3.0 is listed at 3 lbs less).

mtbr member
    My opinion: the X7 2x10 and BB7 brakes are highly desirable over the alternative. I find myself riding fat in a variety conditions. The two-by chainrings really help. And I've had both bb5 and bb7 and find the bb7 are much easier to tune.

I'm on the fence about weight.

Fat tires are expensive and getting good ones is important. Do you know the tires?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm a small and I couldn't find any smalls for sale. If you do, good luck.

Fat bikes use a bunch of expensive and unique components that make them more expensive. If what you want is a plus bike, it's probably more cost effective to just buy one.

mtbr member
    Two "extra" sets of wheels? If that means 3 sets total, that is awesome. I have 3 sets, 2 fat and one 29+. Having 2 sets means you can get a set of studded tires and just leave them mounted and then have another set for summer.

A new bike is only new until you take that first ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I think the fat tires are the standard Framed 26x4 Tires - so nothing special there - itíll get me going though.

Yes, 2 extra sets of wheels / tires - both sets are 29Ē - 1 currently set up with MTB & 1 with Hybrid Tires.

Good point about new not being new for long...the 3.0 also has a 190mm rear hub as opposed to 175 (?) on the 1.2. Kinda leaning towards the 3.0. Only drawback is the size - if I negotiate a deal & have the guy meet me at the ferry dock (over an hour drive for him) Iím gonna feel obligated to buy it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Honestly, these bikes are both so similar in spec that it doesn't really matter. Both drivetrains are very low end and not going to be much different. Both will require significant upgrading if you ride frequently, as the parts wear out and break.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I have read the x7 is a noticeable step up from x5 and the same for BB7 over BB5, but I get they are still the entry-level offerings from SRAM and Avid. The one advantage of going into it at ~$600 vs ~$1000 is I'll have some money left over to upgrade & get some necessary gear for colder riding.

I thought of another potential advantage of the extra wheelsets - I currently have a roof top bike rack that uses rear tire and fork. While not ideal, I'm guessing I could mount a "standard" rear tire & get a 150mm fork up and continue to use that rack - that could save me a bundle (at least until I'm sick of overhead pressing that thing to get it up there). Since the rear hub is QR, I presume it's not difficult to swap rear wheels?

mtbr member
    x7 is not bad. My 2015 Mukluk came with that.

Where you might run into issues with Framed is the rear hub.

Size is important. The wrong size is not a deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    x7 is not bad. My 2015 Mukluk came with that.

Where you might run into issues with Framed is the rear hub.

Size is important. The wrong size is not a deal.
    Ah - good info regarding the rear hub. I read up a bit on the Quanta hub bearing issues. A bit scary for sure. I don't really want to get a bike then have to do a bunch of bearing replacements, etc. on it (though I suppose ONE of the 3 wheelsets would be at least rideable). I wonder how prevalent those issues were / are?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    I have read the x7 is a noticeable step up from x5 and the same for BB7 over BB5, but I get they are still the entry-level offerings from SRAM and Avid. The one advantage of going into it at ~$600 vs ~$1000 is I'll have some money left over to upgrade & get some necessary gear for colder riding.

I thought of another potential advantage of the extra wheelsets - I currently have a roof top bike rack that uses rear tire and fork. While not ideal, I'm guessing I could mount a "standard" rear tire & get a 150mm fork up and continue to use that rack - that could save me a bundle (at least until I'm sick of overhead pressing that thing to get it up there). Since the rear hub is QR, I presume it's not difficult to swap rear wheels?
    If I didn't know better, I'd think I was reading a post from 2013. There is no such thing as X5 or X7 anymore, mechanical brakes on any kind of mountain bike are really not a thing, and any bike with any kind of quick release skewer is obsolete. Standards have changed a lot, and fat bikes have settled on 150mm front and either 177 or 197 rear through axles.

If you are going to buy a bike with obsolete standards, just keep in mind that it is going to be MUCH more difficult and expensive to find replacement parts, if they are available at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    If I didn't know better, I'd think I was reading a post from 2013. There is no such thing as X5 or X7 anymore, mechanical brakes on any kind of mountain bike are really not a thing, and any bike with any kind of quick release skewer is obsolete. Standards have changed a lot, and fat bikes have settled on 150mm front and either 177 or 197 rear through axles.

If you are going to buy a bike with obsolete standards, just keep in mind that it is going to be MUCH more difficult and expensive to find replacement parts, if they are available at all.
    Thanks - save for the rear hub, I presume youíre referring to components in a mid or higher-grade build, because I still see a lot of 2019 entry-level builds with X5, X7, and BBs.

The point about the rear hub spacing & QR is a good one though, and food for thought. Seems the only place to get a new 190mm QR rear wheel currently is Framed (and their supplies seem to be quite limited).

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    So I have a deal in place with the seller to grab that 3.0 + the 2 fatty slim wheelsets. A bit of a ride (+ a ferry) to get there, but we settled on too good of a deal to pass up. I was a bit concerned about the ability to find a replacement 190mm QR hub / wheel, but I figure if there's an issue with the fat wheel I (a) have other wheels I can ride until I figure out something and (b) I have 2 spare 190mm QR hubs from the other wheels I may be able to use to build up a new wheel (I think). I'm pretty stoked - can't wait to try this sucker out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    If I didn't know better, I'd think I was reading a post from 2013. There is no such thing as X5 or X7 anymore, mechanical brakes on any kind of mountain bike are really not a thing, and any bike with any kind of quick release skewer is obsolete.

I don't know about that. My fatty has mechanical brakes (TRP Sypkes, can't recommend them enough) and is 135mm/170mm QR hubs. Bikesmiths has a full wheelset available in those spacings.

No matter what the dingle berries in the bike product world would have you believe, your bike doesn't magically become useless because someone thought adding 2mm to an axle width was the "new standard".