mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Upgrading gears on a Malus

Got a Malus in 2017 and been riding around trails on it. The kicker is I pull my youngest son and his bike behind me with it. That adds at least 40+ lbs. So as you can imagine it is pretty easy to run out of gears going up hills on trails. So, as I haven't really done much with bikes before and don't drop a lot of coin in them I am new at upgrading anything on them.

So, I was looking at adding the SHIMANO MF-TZ31 and adding the Shimano Altus FC M311 6/7/8 Speed Bike Crankset 175mm 42/32/22T w/ChainGuard. I know the megarange will fit after reading some of the Dolo thread. But, will the M311 fit? Can I use the stock chain? Not worried to much about being in 34 back and 42 front at the same time, but I would like to be able to use the 34 back and 22 front without it rubbing. I will also need to buy the parts to get the current gears off.

As for changing gears on the front I figured I would just use the 32 and manually switch it to 22 when the trails got to rough for me. Don't see myself using the 42 much. But, nice to have it I guess. Maybe after a year or so and when I don't have to pull him behind me I will look at adding a shiftier for the front.

I am fine with everything else on the Malus so I figure this upgrade is pretty cheap and worth it to me. Plus any lighter weight parts wouldn't really put a dent in our combined weight. Right now when I ride it without him it feels light as a feather. Nothing like a free 40 lb weight reduction upgrade, LOL.

mtbr member
    As long as the bottom bracket is square taper the M311 should fit. The chain should work. A crank arm removal tool is available from Amazon for about $5.

Good luck and enjoy