Unsure which to get...Surly, Salsa, 3.7", 4.7", Ti, ChroMoly, etc???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Unsure which to get...Surly, Salsa, 3.7", 4.7", Ti, ChroMoly, etc???

I have a road and mountain bike, but VERY new with fat bikes. I'm considering of picking one up. I put a partial payment on a Surly Necromancer, which should be in by Nov. 1. I was also looking at the Moonlander and the Salsa Mukluk 2 and might consider them as well, but I have some pros/cons with each...

SURLY NECROMANCER
    Pro:
    - Should be available Dec 1
    Con:
    - Rims DO NOT have holes

SURLY MOONLANDER
    Pro:
    - About $500 more than Necromancer.
    - Rims have holes
    - Should be available Dec 14
    - 4.7" Tires???
    Con:
    - Will it look odd with 29ers?
    - With 29er, will there be an issue with the gears, since the front will be so far out?
    - 4.7" Tires??? Availability of tires, wheelsets, etc.?

SALSA MUKLUK 2
    Pro:
    - Rims have holes
    - Like the red accents
    - 7005 Aluminum tubing, better than the Surly 4130 CroMoly Steel, regarding corrosion resistance.
    Con:
    - Out of stock and no info on availability.
    - Price?

SALSA MUKLUK Ti
    Pro:
    - Ti frame, better than 7005 Aluminum tubing, or Surly 4130 CroMoly Steel, regarding corrosion resistance.
    Con:
    - No info on availability.
    - PRICE!!!

I live in Illinois and plan to ride the bike in the trails during the winter. I also plan to ride it in local farm lands in the winter. This requires a short bike ride on neighborhood streets full of road salts, which is why I prefer a bike the will not rust or rust as easy. I'm also planning to do the http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/far...-a-740599.html, so I was hoping to have a bike soon to train on. I do have a mountain bike, that I can put studs on, but it won't be the same ride.

The LBS (Johnny Rockets) in Chicago carry both Salsa and Surley and they are offering a 20% discount on new bike orders, 25% if it was stock. I'm sort of leaning towards the Necromancer, since I should have it in my possession by next weekend. I may consider a driving some distance if I can pick up a Mukluk 2 around a 16", but all depends on the price. I saw that ADA Bikes (Michigan) had it available online, but unsure if it is really in stock.

So does anyone else have any pros/cons on each that you can add that may help me decide?
    Last edited by ecub; 11-27-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Give North Central Cycling a try. Those guys stock quite a few fatties.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    I bought a Muk 2 the middle of October and have been loving it. I can't say one bad thing about it. I would add weight to your pro category. The aluminum (and ti) are obviously lighter than the Surly bikes. Don't know if this is a selling point for you or not (it wasn't for me) but it is a bonus.

mtbr member
    I like how you spelled out the challenge of your decision. I have had a pugs for the last three winters and have ridden all year in Minnesota since the late 80's on road and mountain bikes made of steel, carbon and aluminum. Good news is no bad decisions for you to pic from. The longer I ride the more I worry about my parts in salt than my frames. If the Moonlander rides as well as early reviews seem to suggest I think it will be the first in a new standard for flotation bikes. Moonlander is what I would chose.

Fatback
    You won't be able to run a set of 29ers on the Moonlander. With 28mm of offset, there is just no way to gain that back on a normal width rim, so if 29ers are a must, go with a standard Pugs, and even then, offest designs are not so great for 29ers.
    I have been riding the BFL's a bit and when it's really soft, they are great. However, conditions vary considerably and you just may not need that much float. Here in Anchorage, we don't need it for 99% of the riding most people will do. Unnecessary float comes at a rolling resistance penalty. Different regions have different conditions, so decide what works for you.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks. North Central Cycling has 2 Mukluk 2's coming on Monday, so I'll have to call if one of them is in my size. It's a little over an hour drive to Dekalb for me, so it won't be that bad, but will matter on how much.

My only other concern about the Moonlander are the 4.7 size tires. Since it's rather new, I'm not sure how fast it will catch on. 3.7 size tires have been out for awhile and there are various options on wheelsets and tires to choose from.

I'm concerned about longevity of the frame, which was another reason I was looking at the frame material.

Switching over to 29ers probably isn't a decision maker. I do have a 26er for xc. I just thought being able to change to 29ers would be like having another bike, but it's not a deal breaker.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I'm concerned about longevity of the frame, which was another reason I was looking at the frame material.
    A steel frame will last a decade with minimal care in a fat bike...if you actually look after it you can keep a steel framed fat bike forever.

Given how fast things are changing in fat bikes a decade is a long time...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Geordie biker
    Forget about 29er wheels, buy a fat bike based around its current wheels and enjoy it.

If its your first, then consider a pugsley or mukluk, forget the exotic ones incase you end up spending 3 times as much on a bike that could do the same thing for less.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    The Pugsley and Mukluk 3 are readily available. Not too keen on the colors and prefer the black color in the next models up. So based on everyone's input, which I appreciate, I'm down to either the Mukluk 2 or Necromancer. I guess depending on the price, availability, and location on the Mukluk 2, I know I will have the Necromancer, hopefully, by this weekend.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Black pugs would get my vote

but i am a bit biased on Surlys

Sounds like you need to test ride both,
    maybe a shop or some folk on here near you could help out?

whatever you end up buying you will not regret it
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I already test rode the white Pugsley. They let me ride it in a trail behind the shop and I was surprised how well it handled, which is one of the reasons I got sold on a fat bike.

BTW CoastKid71, love your vids!
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Steel will eventually rust, but honestly I have never seen a modern MTB bike frame rust through. A $7 can of Amsoil HDMP will treat 10 frames, or 1 frame for 100 years, so rust isn't a factor unless you routinely ride in salt water. I think you should pick your bike on how it rides, what the component specs are and then the frame material, in that order. My perception was the Pugsley and the Mukluk rode differently, which was more due to the geometry than the materials.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Agreed--the two bikes have different feel--mostly due to the geometry, as the giant rubber takes a lot of the al/steel feel away. The Mukluk is probably a better design for, and the Pug is more like a fat mountain bike. That's based purely on my opinion. Keep in mind that they both are great bikes, both good at snow, both good at trails, etc...

I have a Muk2 on layaway, but I'm considering a white Pugs, partly for the money. The Black Pugs has a nicer wheelset and crank, but I think the MUK2 is the way to go when you get to that price point.

Smash Mode: ON
    The ada bike shop is a straight up opperation. I just bought my muk2 from them a week ago and they had a xs, a med, and a xl sitting there ready to go. They also expected to have another medium coming in. Call them though, don't order anything online.

While I was looking I also noticed that a shop just west of chitown had some in stock, I forget the name. Salsa has a dealer locator on their site, let your fingers do some walking...

Oh, and if you can't tell, here is one more vote for the muk2.

mtbr member
    Mukluk 2's in stock in all sizes at Hucknroll.com for $1889. They have minor cosmetic flaws in ano but who cares.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How does the geometry of the Salsa and Surly offerings compare? I know the answer is for me to go ride them and see for myself...

But, I had a Surly Cross Check I tried to like for years. I hated the handling with all 2 brazillion handlebar setups I tried. Finally came to my senses and made someone a deal on the frame.

edit:
    A note about steel. My commuter is about to turn 13, its steel and has lived the miserable life only a commuter is subjected to. Its easily my favorite bike, no rust. It does have fenders which helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Cosmetic flaws?
    Looks like on the downtube where it says Salsa. They list it on the description. Looks very minor.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Mukluk 2's in stock in all sizes at Hucknroll.com for $1889. They have minor cosmetic flaws in ano but who cares.
    Cosmetic flaws?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A blemish in the decal. Like someone put a strip of tape on it before it was dry and pulled it off. It left a slight orange peel appearance.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I placed an order for the Mukluk 2 on Huck & Roll. I was chatting with the rep to see if they had my size in stock, which she confirmed they did, so I decided to place the order right then and there. So hopefully, I'll have the bike by this weekend.
    Last edited by ecub; 11-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I took delivery on my Black Ops on Friday! Very glad I ordered it. Sweet looking ride, with some upgrades from the normal Pug. You won't be disappointed....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    I took delivery on my Black Ops on Friday! Very glad I ordered it. Sweet looking ride, with some upgrades from the normal Pug. You won't be disappointed....
    Can't wait for mine. Quick question. Can you tell me what kind of shifters your black pug came with, thumb (old school) or trigger (shimano style).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A steel frame will last a decade with minimal care in a fat bike...if you actually look after it you can keep a steel framed fat bike forever.

Given how fast things are changing in fat bikes a decade is a long time...
    Do you seal your frames or not? Can't decide if I should.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrew View Post
    Can't wait for mine. Quick question. Can you tell me what kind of shifters your black pug came with, thumb (old school) or trigger (shimano style).
    The Black Ops came with THUMB (old school) SHIFTERS. The white Pug comes with trigger shifters.

I THINK it has the Moonlander fork too. It looks wider than the white Pug fork. It also has the mounts for (2) salsa anything cages(or water bottle cages) on the fork legs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
    The Black Ops came with THUMB (old school) SHIFTERS. The white Pug comes with trigger shifters.

I THINK it has the Moonlander fork too. It looks wider than the white Pug fork. It also has the mounts for (2) salsa anything cages(or water bottle cages) on the fork legs.
    Thanks! Do you like the thumb shifters?

I like the additional mounts. More stuff to hang when needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome! I placed an order for the Mukluk 2 on Huck & Roll. I was chatting with the rep to see if they had my size in stock, which she confirmed they did, so I decided to place the order right then and there. So hopefully, I'll have the bike by this weekend.
    When I ordered mine from there last week, there were three XL's listed and now there are none. I tried to buy from my LBS, but they could not get me an XL until the next model year comes out. Good call on pulling the trigger, the Mukluk 2's are going fast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    well...i was disappointed to see them at first. My hatred was based on my OLD "mountain bike" I had in grade school from Walmart. It had 'thumb shifters' and they sucked. I was glad to see the new ones are WAY better, and were very easy to get used to. Plus they 'click' so you know they are in gear. I now like them after a short time. Probably easier to use(than triggers) in Winter too, if riding with bulky gloves on.

I was pleased to see the braze-on's on the fork as well. Nice touch.

Geordie biker
    Enjoy the new bike
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrew View Post
    Do you seal your frames or not? Can't decide if I should.
    Nope - for the first 3yrs of saltwater beach life, desert trail riding, canadian winters and burning man corrosive playa dust adventures I did nothing in the way of protection including not washing the salt off the frame...

I just sprayed the interior of the frame with rustproofing and will try and stay up on washing anything gnarly off it and respraying the rustproofing inside the tubes once a year.

These aren't delicate frames so you don't have to baby them. I guess what it comes down to is how much salt your bike is exposed to? Snow/rain isn't going to get too out of hand, but road salt/saltwater will do some damage if you give it enough exposure time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Congrats....enjoy the new FATTY!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode the bikes tonight--Both Muks and Both Pugs, in both L and XL. Lots of bikes at Freewheel in MN. Of course, they are running low on certain bikes. I liked the Black Pug, as it has the upgraded wheels, the nicer crank, and the microshift thumb shifters. But for the money, I would go for the Muk2, which is a very nice rig for $2000, even less if you like your bike coming in a box. If I was looking at the Muk3 for 50 dollars less than the white Pug it would come down to personal preference. I thought the high front-end of the Mukluk would scare me off, but I liked it. But it's all about preference. I was fortunate to ride all the bikes in person before making my decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    I rode the bikes tonight--Both Muks and Both Pugs, in both L and XL. Lots of bikes at Freewheel in MN. Of course, they are running low on certain bikes. I liked the Black Pug, as it has the upgraded wheels, the nicer crank, and the microshift thumb shifters. But for the money, I would go for the Muk2, which is a very nice rig for $2000, even less if you like your bike coming in a box. If I was looking at the Muk3 for 50 dollars less than the white Pug it would come down to personal preference. I thought the high front-end of the Mukluk would scare me off, but I liked it. But it's all about preference. I was fortunate to ride all the bikes in person before making my decision.
    What did you find regarding size? I ride a 22" hardtail Kona, fits perfectly.

What did you notice about the differences in geometry? I mostly hated the Surly cross check handling.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    What did you find regarding size? I ride a 22" hardtail Kona, fits perfectly.

What did you notice about the differences in geometry? I mostly hated the Surly cross check handling.
    Sizing: I am 6'2" and I was deciding between the XL mukluk and the L mukluk. The XL just felt a little too big for me. It is a big rig--I felt I was right at the bottom end of sizing for that one. The standover was OK, but if you are planning to ride in the snow--and step into some deep snow, beware. I was at the top end of the L muk. I decided to go with the smaller (L) bike with the seat post maxed. I might get a (longer) Thomson post. I don't have a problem with having my saddle a bit higher than the bars.

The Muk feels a bit more spread out, and the steering might be slower. The Pug L 20" would have been pretty nice for me. Both were pretty fun, the Muk just suited me a bit more--my guess is that riders with a MTB background might like the Pug more, as it will seem familiar. I spend a lot of time on a Long Haul Trucker, and the Muk felt pretty comfy to me....

Personally, the components are a mix. IMO, the white pug felt like a nicer build than the muk3--the mediocre levers and bb5 brakes stood out, and the MUK2 felt much nicer than the Black pug. I guess the prices fit that too.

after riding them all, lifting them, fondling, etc, the Muk2 seemed underpriced. Yep--I'm almost sure the MUK2 will cost more next year for the same build. No doubt you can spec better fatbikes, but for the money, the black Salsa is pretty darn nice. The only thing that bugged was the crappy levers, but I'll give them some time since they are included. Maybe I'll put on some Ergon grips. The Bend2 bar is awesome. The seat is nice. Etc...

mtbr member
    Stoked for you and your new bike. Glad it worked out. It would have been my pick for sure.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks. I am 6'2 also, but usually ride a size up from the charts (I'm really just a 6' guy with chicken legs). I hope to test drive the various offerings before plopping down that kind of money.

Mechainc
    Ada bike shop in Michigan has a medium mukluk 2 on there floor today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not sure you will get it before this weekend. I placed my order for a Mukluk 2, L on November 20th. They told me the bikes were in stock... and would ship asap. Have not heard from them or the shipping company since I placed the order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I drove 6 hours each way to get a Mukluk2 from Freewheel Bike in MPLS 2weeks ago. It's my first fat bike and I love it! I chose it over the Necromancer mostly because of the build. (and it's 5 lbs lighter than my buddy's Pugs).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Post deleted. Issue resolved directly.
    Last edited by lawfarm; 11-30-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Integrity.

mtbr member
    Wrong post...
    Last edited by ecub; 11-29-2011 at 11:55 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    2) As a sales person, you heard me tell you my story on how I found your shop through the forums and that I've been researching the web regarding Surly & Salsa, so you should have concluded that I'm savy enough to research the web on finding deals.
    Lawfarm doesn't work at that shop in dekalb, so your off base to start with.

I think you have every right to buy where ever you want, but as an individual outside of the situation i think it's pretty silly to order a bike online, then go into a shop the next day and confirm. I try to support places that support me, with help, knowledge, and local trail advocacy. Most online places don't support CAMBR, and i assume you ride the CAMBR trails. The theory of finding the lowest price somewhere else has led us all to shopping at walmart and eating fast food every day, at our own expense.

In any event, welcome to the club, these bikes are super fun.
    Last edited by BigFatLarry; 11-29-2011 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatLarry View Post
    Lawfarm doesn't work at that shop in dekalb, so your off base to start with.
    My apologies there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatLarry View Post

I think you have every right to buy where ever you want, but as an individual outside of the situation i think it's pretty silly to order a bike online, then go into a shop the next day and confirm. I try to support places that support me, with help, knowledge, and local trail advocacy. Most online places don't support CAMBR, and i assume you ride the CAMBR trails. The theory of finding the lowest price somewhere else has led us all to shopping at walmart and eating fast food every day, at our own expense.

In any event, welcome to the club, these bikes are super fun.

If you like, I can PM you the local LBS of the shop where I bought my Madone 4.7, Madone 6.7, & 8.5 DS. They all know me by name there. There's an Eddie that works there, but if you ask about an Ed with the Madone 6.7 & Top Fuel, they all know who it is. If Bontrager, Huck & Roll, & Jenson USA, are considered Walmart of bike accessories, please direct me to the correct places, since I'm still new at purchasing bike accessories online.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

aka bOb
    Uh...... if you guys haven't noticed there are a lot of bikes or frames here on the fat forums that are purchased online. Do I need to name them?

Edit: Disclaimer 2 of my 3 fat frames where purchased online.
    Last edited by bdundee; 11-29-2011 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Last edited by lawfarm; 11-30-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Integrity.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Duplicate post deleted. Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Last edited by lawfarm; 11-29-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Name:  rodney-king.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  8.1 KB"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...Itís just not right. Itís not right. Itís not, itís not going to change anything."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Last edited by lawfarm; 11-30-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Integrity

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Last edited by lawfarm; 11-30-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Integrity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Lawfarm, I'm just glad the guy got holes in his rims. No holes here.Unsure which to get...Surly, Salsa, 3.7", 4.7", Ti, ChroMoly, etc???-photo-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd consider trading you my holey rims for your holy s&#! frame.

Naaaaaaah.

mtbr member
    If you want to buy something online go for it. There are lots of speciality items a LBS won't stock, but ordering a bike online and then going to a LBS to test ride their product and quiz their sales staff just to confirm the order you made online to save $$$ - that's lame...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Lawfarm flagged I don't know what his issue is. He saw me for a good 10-15 minutes at the LBS, but he doesn't not know that I've been talking to the same salesperson the past few days and already knows my situation. I'm new with fat bikes and I visited the LBS because I thought the person I talked to on the phone was rather pleasant, knowledgeable, and willing to work with me. The store is a good hour and 15 minutes away. The LBS where I first test rode the Pugsley was only about 20 minutes away from my house. I knew of another LBS that had the Mukluk, which I could test ride. North Central Cyclery had both, which gave me a chance to see and try both at the same time. Since the sales person was rather pleasant to talk to, I figured I would drive there to see both bikes. After the test rides, I had more questions. They gave me the pros/cons between the bikes. For what I wanted, the Mukluk 2 was for sure the right choice.

Sure I already put a deposit down on a Necromancer. I'm sure if you search my posts, I stated that I did. But then I was still undecided if that was the right choice, which is why I created this post. I've read the replies and concluded that the Mukluk would be a better fit, and after finding out I can order it online, I decided to do so. Remember, I had not ridden it yet. I've only test ridden the white Pugsley. I realize spending that much on a bike without test riding it would not be a great decision. I knew of another shop that had the Mukluk2, which I had planned on visiting. Since North Central Cyclery had both, this was my chance to see and try them side by side. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has gone into an LBS and test rode a bike and did not purchase it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that asks questions to the sales staff regarding, which bike would be a better fit for me. I'm sure I can get that information else where from other LBSs. There were no trade secrets revealed during our conversation. I also tested his knowledge, from what I've learned on this forum. After all, I want to make sure he's not just giving me an BS.

I was actually considering of going all the way to Wisconsin or Michigan on other LBSs, which I knew also have both bikes and which I could get real deals on. I did like dealing with the sales person at North Central Cyclery and, although the distance was far, it wasn't too far. It's unfortuante, that due to Lawfarm's reaction, I will REFUSE to deal with them I also have a nephew who goes to school at NIU and rides a bike and several of his very close friends also rides bikes and are also interested in buying fat bikes. They all have visited North Central Cyclery and after hearing this commotion, has told me that he and his friends will no longer go there and will buy their fat bikes else where. I've already left a message at the LBS and told them of my dissatisfaction.
    Last edited by ecub; 11-30-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Frt Range, CO
    This is why they hate us in Wisconsin, I'm betting he's a bitter Cub fan

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I made a number of posts yesterday about an interpersonal incident I had with another MTBR member. I don't work for any bike shop, although I am an enthusiastic supporter of LBS. I would hate myself if my interaction with another bike rider reflected poorly on a LBS. To avoid even that possibility, I've deleted my posts in this thread. And now that it is perfectly clear that I'm not a LBS employee, I am hopeful that Ecub will do the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's unfortuante, that due to Lawfarm's reaction, I will REFUSE to deal with them I also have a nephew who goes to school at NIU and rides a bike and several of his very close friends also rides bikes and are also interested in buying fat bikes. They all have visited North Central Cyclery and after hearing this commotion, has told me that he and his friends will no longer go there and will buy their fat bikes else where. I've already left a message at the LBS and told them of my dissatisfaction.
    Wow.
    The only reason I have purchased online was due to the local shop would not be getting any Mukluk 2's until Spring.
    I only wish I had a North Central Cyclery in my backyard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    NCC is a great shop based on my recent interaction with them and so good that they are the shop I just bought my black pug from. The guys that helped me out last Saturday night were super friendly and supportive of my decision. I started looking at the Muks, but in the end decided on the pug because I'm fond of steel. They let me test ride several bikes and didn't push me one way or the other. I can't say that I've gotten this same friendly service at othe LBSs. They even went out of their way to make a special call to their rep at Surly to see if they could still get the black pug in my size (16").

Even though these guys are an hour away from my house, I am sure I will be making several trips back to the shop even after I pick up my pug.

FYI, the Muks are really awesome but in the end the pug sold me on the material and the feel of the ride.

mtbr member

North Central Cyclery Ė Bikes, Parts, Repair, Bicycle Shop

I had a look at their website and it looks like a great store with lots of FATBIKE love... I wish I had a store like that in my city. I'd buy all my fat gear there.

I can't complain too badly - we have 2 LBS here that at least know what a Pugsley is even if they don't stock 'em or the accessories...

I'm always impressed when a LBS spends the $$ to bring in a wide selection of niche bikes and lets folks test ride them... That's not an inexpensive proposition and it's a situation that can get abused, but shops that really care know you need to see and ride a bike to really
    "get it" and make an informed decision.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    ok, I've cooled off

My visit last night help me better decide, which bike to go with. The good selling point for me, regarding the Pugsley is that the front/rear wheels can be switched, so I can carry another spare rear wheel in the front. But I thought that I've never experience that issue, nor have I ever seen or read of it happening. The good selling point about the Mukluk is that you can run BFLs on both front/rear, though you will get tire/rub issues. The best way to remedy that is to remove the largest cog on the rear wheel and I believe add some spacers and limit the shifter, so you don't use that cog. I do know that I will be switching tires around, so having that ability would benefit me more. The Pugs can also use BFL's on both front/rear, but I understand, there is very little clearance. The Mukluks have allot more clearance. I've actually seen the bike with BFL's on both front/rear with Rolling Darryl's at their shop and I can attest, there is plenty of clearance.

I did test ride both the Mukluk 2 and Pugsley and they both felt the same to me. I've read a review on another site and the person stated the same thing. Unfortuantely, the tires were inflated for the street and there weren't really any off-road areas I could have ridden on, except for a few backyards, curbs, and open fields. I did feel the weight of the bike as I pedaled in the harder gears.

I didn't say NCC wasn't a great shop. My recent exeperience was great and the salesperson seemed knowledgeable and was very helpful. It's just now with all the words exchanged and knowing that I may see that person again, makes me not want to even visit the place.
    Last edited by ecub; 11-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

aka bOb
    ok, I've cooled off

The best way to remedy that is to remove the largest cog
    You remove the small cog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You remove the small cog

Thanks. So I guess that wasn't really that much of a secret.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ed, I think you're gonna be very happy for a long time with your Muk2.

mtbr member
    ok, I've cooled off
    The good selling point about the Mukluk is that you can run BFLs on both front/rear, though you will get tire/rub issues. The best way to remedy that is to remove the largest cog on the rear wheel and I believe add some spacers and limit the shifter, so you don't use that cog. I do know that I will be switching tires around, so having that ability would benefit me more. The Pugs can also use BFL's on both front/rear, but I understand, there is very little clearance. The Mukluks have allot more clearance. I've actually seen the bike with BFL's on both front/rear with Rolling Darryl's at their shop and I can attest, there is plenty of clearance.
    I've got Rolling Darryls and BFLs on my Pug with plenty of room -** I am using a Mr Whirly with MWOD rings

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yeah, I do research on my bikes. I drive back and forth to different shops. When I bought my road bike (Trek Madone 4.7), I was too much in a rush. If I only waited a few weeks, I could have gotten the bike I would have preferred Trek (Madone 6.7). So now I own 2 road bikes. Fortunately, my friend offered to buy my 4.7. I then decided to get an mtb and looked at the Trek 6700, the shop where I bought my Madone's from didn't have it. I called around and found another LBS. I test road it and liked it and decided to get it. Unfortunately, the test was at paved streets, so once I took it out on the trails, I lost interest, and wanted something better. After further researching, a Top Fuel 9.9 would have been more fun. Fortunately, the shop allowed me to return the 6700 for the Top Fuel. I then wanted a commuter bike. I didn't want to use high end bikes to commute for risk of it being stolen. So I looked around and got the Trek 8.5 DS (Hybrid). I never got a chance to test ride it and just bought it after researching. It was ok, but something was missing.

I was out riding the trails one time and happened to park my bike at a parking lot. I noticed that I parked at an LBS with a Pugsley hanging right at the window. I was intrigued. The shop was closed, so after coming back from my ride, I went in. I spoke to the sales rep and he allowed me to test ride it. There was a trail behind the shop and I was surprised how well it handled. I fell in love. This was where my interest in the fat bike came into play. I have a friend who has a young child that wants me to ride with her and her sister on their bike. I wanted to attach a trailer to a bike and I didn't want to do it on expensive carbon bikes, which is another reason I got the commuter bike (Trek 8.5 DS). Now having the ability to switch to 29ers in the summer, I can attach the trailer to it, so I no longer will need the Trek 8.5 DS.

So thanks everyone for their help.

BTW, NCC owner called and left a message apologizing for his buddies words. I commend him for the call and would still like to deal with him, but only under the terms I left in the call the other night. Geeez, I'm 47, I was in the US Marines. There's allot of crap going on in the world Lawfarm is worried about a bike that I want with MY money?
    Last edited by ecub; 11-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2