unsubstantiated Rumor of the Day- Foundry carbon fat bike- Mtbr.com
    Human Test Subject

unsubstantiated Rumor of the Day- Foundry carbon fat bike

Per their Facebook (can't link, I'm on my phone) they have "dreams" about a carbon fat bike. Will it happen? Maybe we need a petition going. This thing would make me seriously happy in the pants.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Crazy cool!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If my memory serves me right, I think I heard that same rumor last fall.

=========
    Why haven't more bike companies jumped into the fa-bike market? Kona, Redline, Haro?
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

Human Test Subject
    Another Q brand would do this before a major brand I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    Why haven't more bike companies jumped into the fa-bike market? Kona, Redline, Haro?
    The big, boring companies are too serious to produce a clown bike. Also, they'd be forced to buy parts (tires, rims, etc.) from QBP, with whom they compete on one or more levels.

Kona seems like the kind of company that might do it. I'm sure if the sales numbers were there, they'd all jump in.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The big, boring companies are too serious to produce a clown bike. Also, they'd be forced to buy parts (tires, rims, etc.) from QBP, with whom they compete on one or more levels.

The only part they'd *really* need to get from QBP would be tires, as Surly and 45nrth are really the only players in the tire game. Sure, there's the spider and skull tires, and the VeeRubber vaporware tire[stupid heavy at that]. IMO, the thing that needs to happen before other companies make one is another tire company needs to jump in. Then you'll see some one else make a complete bike. Trek has been rumored to have a prototype. they have the tire making capabilities, and the large dealer network to make it all pay off. I'd count on them before anyone else.

But then they totally fell in for the stupid 69er gimmick, so they might be a tad gun shy when it comes to stepping into the oddities markets.

Kona's far enough north, they should. Hell Rocky Mtn, Norco and Devinci are all Canadian. They should too!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    The only part they'd *really* need to get from QBP would be tires, as Surly and 45nrth are really the only players in the tire game. Sure, there's the spider and skull tires, and the VeeRubber vaporware tire[stupid heavy at that]. IMO, the thing that needs to happen before other companies make one is another tire company needs to jump in. Then you'll see some one else make a complete bike. Trek has been rumored to have a prototype. they have the tire making capabilities, and the large dealer network to make it all pay off. I'd count on them before anyone else.

But then they totally fell in for the stupid 69er gimmick, so they might be a tad gun shy when it comes to stepping into the oddities markets.

Kona's far enough north, they should. Hell Rocky Mtn, Norco and Devinci are all Canadian. They should too!
    All true, man.

I'm kinda over hoping that the big guys get into fatbikes. In the last year or so, there's been so much innovation going on without them that I have more than enough choices.
    All these choices are making me go broke!

Self-defeatist
    I'm pretty surprised that Kona hasn't made some move. Sure they're big, but they're not huge, and they usually don't shy away from niche bikes.
    I'm covered in beer.

Living the thug life.
    I heard they are coming out with a hardtail and dually carbon fat frames and rims. They will have clearance for their new carbon 7.9" tires and be compatible with belt drive, igh, rohloff, and coaster brake. The coolest feature is their use of S&S couplers that can combine two frames to make a fat tandem.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [QUOTE=Logantri;9720926... The coolest feature is their use of S&S couplers that can combine two frames to make a fat tandem.[/QUOTE]

I know this is tongue in cheek, but that would be awesome

All fat, all the time.
    Yes, carbon full suspension. I want one.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    these bikes are new & niche?

beat ya too it NV
    errrr play nice.

Dirt Huffer
    UGH! Not even worth logging into facebook to read that garbage.

mtbr member
    The On One Crawler tyre is now available, so that's not a show-stopper.

Members who have read this thread: 0