Uma 70 rear and rolling darryl front? Problem?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Uma 70 rear and rolling darryl front? Problem?

would it be too odd to have a wider rim in the front than the back? I have a Uma 70 that should be here Friday. If it wouldn't ride much different I could get my bike built a little sooner since built darryls are available.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    would it be too odd to have a wider rim in the front than the back? I have a Uma 70 that should be here Friday. If it wouldn't ride much different I could get my bike built a little sooner since built darryls are available.
    Actually, it makes good sense. The front will float and crush snow, the back will propel you and get a bit better of a bite. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Actually, it makes good sense. The front will float and crush snow, the back will propel you and get a bit better of a bite. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    For me, it only makes sense if the rear tire (read: BFL, Bud or Lou) has any clearance issues with chainstays or drivetrain when put on the same rim as a front one. Then a narrower rear rim is a trade-off for a wider tire. Done this with BFL and GFS on 2009 Pugsley (no place for 100mm rim )
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    My comment only holds true for snow riding. May differ in the summer,

Wizard of the Trail
    Well, it sounds like its more about what he has available, not so much tire clearance. If he has to, he can do a 80 front and 70 rear. I used to run my XC rigs with the fatter tire in the front. Not to mention 10mm (or is it 12mm) is not a whole lot different.

mtbr member
    To be honest it is a money thing, or an I'm anxious to get riding. I hadn't thought about riding BFL's on the bike till Icebiker mentioned it. I am building a 2010 Fatback Alu. I'll have to do a little research and see if I can find out if i can fit it in the rear on 70's without removing rings on the rear cassette. I picked up a Nate and was planning on picking up a HuDu for the back but BFL's would be nice since winter is coming quick around here. (currently 30 deg f. out)

mtbr member
    I can find a pre-built Drilled Rolling Darryl for around $230.00 plus shipping, or I can wait and have speedway build me a front Uma 70 to match but it will cost around $410.00.

Wizard of the Trail
    I have been running RDs for almost a year over all types of terrain. They work well, but are heavier than the UMA. That said, it comes down to what you want to spend.

Members who have read this thread: 0