MaxTheCyclist.com

The Ultimate Challenge... 45NRTH tires on Marge Lite rims!

I consider myself pretty well-read when it comes to ghetto tubeless. I've done all my searches, watched an hour or two of youtube videos, followed threads...

I'm afraid to even attempt tubeless on my Marge Lites with the 45NRTH tires because, no matter what I do, I just can't get the bead to set with tubes!

I've soaked my rims in soapy water and windex, and (on a different attempt, with dry rims) plastered them with baby powder, and I can't get a good seal all the way around with an air compressor. I am kind of thinking they can't be seated!

I can get them 90% of the way on and it's good enough that the "hops" in the tread are only mildly infuriating.

So, anyone have any tips I might not've tried, and anyone get this particular tire and rim combo working tubeless?
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

turtles make me hot
    I put a layer of 1/4" thick pink window sill insulating foam between the rim strip and the split tube. Done it with Hudus and Marge Lites quite a few times. Works fine. The foam weighs nothing.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Getting it to the bead isn't the problem. Unfortunately, the problem is actually getting the bead to set once the tire is completely inflated, even up to ~30PSI.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

turtles make me hot
    Huh... I hadn't noticed a problem. If I do another set any time soon, I'll take note and let you know how I make out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...rk-895718.html
    See above, best method for running tubeless on marge lites (or other 65mm rims) if you can find any clownshoe rim strips - they were pretty scarce a few months ago, haven't looked since.
    Try soapier water (not being a dick - seriously), and enough to make it look like a car wash mishap. I take it from your post that you're not getting the bead to seat due to the bead being crazy tight - that its not popping into the bead seat? If so, try to set with soapy water and tubes, if it won't go, leave it on inflated for a while and give the bead a chance to stretch a little, soap up again, and work it on. FYI - I destroyed a new tire trying to force it onto some crazy a$$ tight borealis 65 mm rims - roasted the bead so bad it won't even work with tubes now.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Which 45nrth tires? Do you have any pictures of the problem area?

Usually HuDu's are too loose, going on and coming off too easily. Dillingers, Van H, Escalators and Beists I don't recall reading being problematic.

Are the beads too tight (diameter) that they won't slip out into place? You may have to leave them inflated for a few days with tubes to stretch it out.