Tuffy liner on a 4" Kendra Juggernaut tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Tuffy liner on a 4" Kendra Juggernaut tire

SinceI installed Tuffyliners an my electric fat tire bike (3.5” XL liners on a 4” Kendra tire) Inoticed a wobble or unbalance on the tire while riding. Inspecting the tire I noticeda slight bulge on the side, so I reinstalled the liner taking pains to center itas best as I could. Now the bulge is gone but the wobble, while less, is stillhere. The unbalance is more or less noticeable depending on speed. Atcertain speeds the wobble seems to resonate with the shock absorbers and makesit very noticeable. I think that the liner moves inside the tire because ofthe low tire pressure (only 15 lbs.) and the unbalance changes depending on howthe liner moves. Someone in a forum saidthat he always applies rubber cement to the liner on the side that goes againstthe tire so that it would stay in place during installation and during riding. Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Norđwegr
    I have never heard of this product, it's essentially a strip that you apply inside of your tire to prevent flats?

I don't see how this has any upper hand on just going tubeless with sealant.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    I use the Mr Tuffy liners on my Fatboy and have not experienced at all what you're reporting here. My tires are the Ground Control 4.6's. After fitting the liner inside the tire and pumping up the tube a bit, I did make it a point to ensure the liner was centered over the tube as best as possible before fitting the rim. Seems I do more asphalt riding these days then trail; so my tire pressure runs from 15 to 18 psi; top speeds noted at a shade over 25 mph on a particular downhill run.....

They certainly work for me, running on roadways with shoulders containing all kinds of junk. And they certainly paid for themselves on the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath, where for one particular 4 week stretch last spring, Pre-Mr Tuffy's, I was picking up multiple thorns holing the tire and tube. Of course, there are limits! Nice side benefit: no gunk to deal with. To each, their own, as they say.............

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Tire strips are the devils spawn. Cause more flats and headaches than they prevent.

Tubeless, Slime tubes, castration without anesthetic, all are preferable...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sweet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

sluice box
    TommySea has Fat Bike rims that are balanced with the cutouts so you don't get any wobble. Send him a PM.
    ptarmigan hardcore

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    He, or maybe just talk to Kendra about it?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Flip the bike upsidedown and spin the tire while watching against a light colored backdrop.

Can you see that the mounted tire is perfectly round?

Or is a small section sucked in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Since I initially posted this, I realized the problem has nothing to do with the liner. It has to do with seating the bead around the rim. Juts like vid1900 said, a small section of the tire was sucked in on both sides. After many tries using silicon lube on the bead, one side finally popped in at 50 psi. The other side still doesn't bead all the way around, but it's close. Do I dare go to 60 psi? The side wall says 30 psi max. I thought of wearing earplugs and using some barrier between the tire and me, just in case it blows out.