Tubless + Vanhelgas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Tubless + Vanhelgas

I am trying to find some people who have ridden these tires tubeless. I currently have these installed on my Foes Mutz, and was wondering what PSI you are running on dry hard pack trails?

My LBS suggested 10psi, but I feel like that is to low. I have tried 8psi, and there was just way to much bob when riding.

I asked another LBS that was open yesterday when I went in to get the Bontrager Charge TLR. They had no idea, as they never have dealt with that setup tubeless. All their Fatties are tubed.

J

since 4/10/2009
    why don't you just ride them at the pressure that works best for you after a little experimentation, rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing? Too squishy? Boost the pressure a bit. Too much like a basketball? Drop it a bit.

Keep in mind that with a fatbike, the suspension has an extra job to do - counteract the bounce of the tires. Read the Bucksaw threads and the Bluto threads if you have not already to see how people are tuning suspension to accommodate fat tires. I run my rebound a bit faster for it on my Bucksaw. I also run my tire pressure at about 8.5-9psi, and I weigh 175 or so. YMMV. A little bit goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    why don't you just ride them at the pressure that works best for you after a little experimentation, rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing? Too squishy? Boost the pressure a bit. Too much like a basketball? Drop it a bit.

Keep in mind that with a fatbike, the suspension has an extra job to do - counteract the bounce of the tires. Read the Bucksaw threads and the Bluto threads if you have not already to see how people are tuning suspension to accommodate fat tires. I run my rebound a bit faster for it on my Bucksaw. I also run my tire pressure at about 8.5-9psi, and I weigh 175 or so. YMMV. A little bit goes a long way.
    I have my suspension decently dialed in, I think. I was mainly curious to see what some others have ridden with higher PSI with out maybe breaking the beads, or rolling the tire. I am on the heavy side I think for 10PSI, so you are correct, i need to up the PSI and see how it does.

Main concern, I just don't want to over inflate and have a blow out on the trial.

Thanks

J

bigger than you.
    with FS fatties, it's been suggested that higher pressures are better, with 12 psi as a starting point. i run 12-14 R-F and weigh in on the low end of the super-clyde range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    with FS fatties, it's been suggested that higher pressures are better, with 12 psi as a starting point. i run 12-14 R-F and weigh in on the low end of the super-clyde range.
    That is a good starting point, thank you. Tomorrow is going to be a full day of testing I think. I have class today so I am unable to doing any testings.

J

since 4/10/2009
    Max pressure on most fat tires and rims is 30psi. I have run mind at about 20psi on pavement with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Max pressure on most fat tires and rims is 30psi. I have run mind at about 20psi on pavement with no issues.
    What PSI have you run on hard pack dirt single track?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonSauce View Post
    What PSI have you run on hard pack dirt single track?
    Usually 8-9psi.

I am on different rubber. Husker Du on 65's.

mtbr member
    I have a Vanhelga on the front and run it 7-8 psi on hard stuff and 3-4 psi on soft snow & slush.

aka bOb
    With Bluto in the front I run usually 12-14 psi, I'm 180 pounds.

edit: That's summer hardpack psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Usually 8-9psi.

I am on different rubber. Husker Du on 65's.
    Ahh. Makes sense. I am considering a summer tire setup. Still looking around to see what people are running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunyak View Post
    I have a Vanhelga on the front and run it 7-8 psi on hard stuff and 3-4 psi on soft snow & slush.
    How much do you weigh by chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    With Bluto in the front I run usually 12-14 psi, I'm 180 pounds.

edit: That's summer hardpack psi.
    That's what I am going to try tomorrow. I think that might give me that extra stiffness I am looking for, so to speak.

J

FK v11 typed with fat finger love

since 4/10/2009
    On fat tires, 1psi can make a huge diff. Might I suggest a more gradual increase in pressure?

bigger than you.
    On fat tires, 1psi can make a huge diff. Might I suggest a more gradual increase in pressure?
    he might be better starting at that pressure, then lowering it gradually to find his sweet spot. on the trails, it's easier to let air out than put it back in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunyak View Post
    I weigh 165.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    he might be better starting at that pressure, then lowering it gradually to find his sweet spot. on the trails, it's easier to let air out than put it back in.
    I added, according to my Bontager Charge TLR pump gauge, 16 PSI F-B. If indeed that is accurate, I like that PSI. I rode about 11 miles today from rooty, rocky, sandy, and hard pack trails. I allowed my suspension to do that work it's supposed to. I felt if it was to much, I could have just let some out as I was rolling.

On a side note, I am 225 riding weight with all my gear. It just felt like to much bob with 10 PSI.

J