mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Tubeless snow riding with no sealant?

Winter is here and I notice the tubeless Gnarwhal 27.5 tires on my Farley 7 are still holding air after sitting all summer. The front is nearly flat but if pumped up to 4 psi they would easily last a week.

I drained the sealant in the spring. And since most of my riding is in temps from -5 to -35 I know the sealant freezes. Can I just run without?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Use subzero sealant. It probably sucks to install a tube in a flat tire at -35F.

I brew my own and would just change the water-glycol ratio to a lower freezing point.

Why did you drain the sealant? Are you not riding in summer?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Can I just run without?

It does freeze but if you bring your bike inside between rides the sealant can thaw and then slosh around at the start of the next ride to seal any pinholes or places where the bead has broken loose on your last low pressure ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Use subzero sealant. It probably sucks to install a tube in a flat tire at -35F.

I brew my own and would just change the water-glycol ratio to a lower freezing point.

Why did you drain the sealant? Are you not riding in summer?
    I ride road, gravel and cross until the snow is back. Summer is short here though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It does freeze but if you bring your bike inside between rides the sealant can thaw and then slosh around at the start of the next ride to seal any pinholes or places where the bead has broken loose on your last low pressure ride.
    I bring it inside after every ride. So yes the sealant will be thawed at the beginning of the next ride. I guess I will just add the same 4 ounces as last year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just stop maintaining sealant levels, dried out and tire has a (somewhat) uniform orangeseal remnant coating. I carry a small sealant squeeze bottle close to body heat and use it if needed.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have a bottle of Bontrager that says -5F,
    and a bottle of Stans that says -20F.
    cederic

2017 Salsa Beargrease
    2012 Fuji Absolute 3.0 Road Bike
    Giant Roam X-Road - Sold it
    Giant CycloCross - Sold it

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Winter is here and I notice the tubeless Gnarwhal 27.5 tires on my Farley 7 are still holding air after sitting all summer. The front is nearly flat but if pumped up to 4 psi they would easily last a week.

I drained the sealant in the spring. And since most of my riding is in temps from -5 to -35 I know the sealant freezes. Can I just run without?
    If your riding is mostly on snow (which I assume, judging by the quoted temperature range), I would just ride w/o sealant. Very little chance of getting a traditional (thorn/rock/stick) type of flat when riding on snow.
    I am so very unimpressed by sealants ability to seal anything bigger than a nano sized pinhole, so I use as little as possible, just enough to make the tires fairly airtight.
    That means no sealant in my Jumbo Jims and no more than 30ml (1oz) in my 5.6's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    From my own experience, it seems as if Stan's sealant has changed over the last year or two. It'll hardly seal a pinhole now. I have switched to Orange Seal and it works great! Almost too good sometimes because it clogs my Stan's Injector that I use to apply the sealant to the tires. Also, OS has a lower temperature version that seems more appropriate for Fat Bikes ridden in cold temps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    It probably sucks to install a tube in a flat tire at -35F.
    Who does this and why would you?

It would suck to have any kind of bike problem at that temperature. All the more reason not to ride in those kind of conditions.

I use Orange Seal Sub Zero which is allegedly good down to -20F. But that doesn't mean I will ride in those temps.

I usually stop riding once it dips below 10 degrees.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    it seems as if Stan's sealant has changed over the last year or two. It'll hardly seal a pinhole now. I have switched to Orange Seal and it works great!
    Used Stan's on my summer tires and noticed the same, it works but barely.

Also use OS, Subzero is the one I use during the winter and will continue to use year round when my Stan's runs out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    If your riding is mostly on snow (which I assume, judging by the quoted temperature range), I would just ride w/o sealant. Very little chance of getting a traditional (thorn/rock/stick) type of flat when riding on snow.
    I am so very unimpressed by sealants ability to seal anything bigger than a nano sized pinhole, so I use as little as possible, just enough to make the tires fairly airtight.
    Might be if you are not using enough sealant you dont have enough particales in the liquid (can't see them in most sealants) to actually seal a real puncture. Agree Sealant is not full proof but it doesnt work if it is not used correctly eithier. Might be slightly overkill but I run 5-6oz in my 4.3 Fat Tires. 4+oz in 29er tires (anywhere from 2.25 to 3.0).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Might be if you are not using enough sealant you dont have enough particales in the liquid (can't see them in most sealants) to actually seal a real puncture.
    Yep, I don't expect them to seal punctures properly with the minimal amounts that I use (only enough to make them fairly airtight).
    Still, with plenty of sealant, it hardly seals anything, and that is even with some tricks that I learned from my good friend, Stan, himself (we were the pretty much the first brand to use Notubes rims OEM, back in 2005).
    Sealant is awesome for making tires airtight, it works for the ''screwdriver test'', but for my use, out in the field, it won't seal the (occasional) flat, so I rely on tire plugs rather than filling the tires with goo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post

I usually stop riding once it dips below 10 degrees.
    That would limit ride time too much where I live.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    One week of riding with no sealant. The Gnarwhals don't seem to be losing any pressure (or any more than they did with sealant). I think I will just keep riding without sealant until the deeper snow is here and see what happens at 3psi.