Tubeless setup and recommended pressures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Tubeless setup and recommended pressures

I haven't seen this issue addressed here: if you're running tubeless, are the "recommended pressure" ratings no long valid? I believe the recommended pressures on any tire refer to tubed setups and not necessarily tubeless, is this the case?

For example, I currently have a tubeless setup with Vee Bulldozers on Mulefut 80sl rims. These tires have a recommended pressure range of 8-20 PSI. Can I go up to 20 PSI (not that I'd want to) given the tubeless setup or should I keep it to a lower level? I'm currently running 11 PSI in both tires given the lack of snow so this is a purely theoretical question for me.

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    I haven't seen this specific question addressed before. I don't have any expertise in this area but since it's the internet I'll take a shot.

No need to ever run max pressure in a fat tire except to seat a bead. 15 psi is pretty high and would be for packed dirt or asphalt for me.

One reason people go tubeless is to run very low PSI and not get pinch flats. 8 PSI in the snow is too high, I've never heard of a tire with a minimum but I would not want one.

I've not tried running ultra low pressures yet.

My range of air pressure so far is about 5 on the low end and 15 on the high end. So the question of air pressure min/max tube vs tubeless is irrelevant to me.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Run what works for you and your conditions? High enough not to break the bead or wallow in crazy auto steer. Low enough not to bounce over everything and get awesome traction.

mtbr member
    He's not asking what PSI to run, he's asking if tubeless changes the manufacturers min/max rating.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but the manufacturer's pressure markings are pretty much irrelevant for standard fatbiking by standard humans regardless of tube presence. There are hundreds of threads on "what pressure to use when......" Use what works and don't get bogged down in the technicalities. If you are pushing the limits of the sport where this may be of consequence, chances are you understand the choices you're making with your gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The max and min are there because they don't want to be liable when you over inflate and blow the tire off the rim, or when you under inflate and roll it off, causing you to eat poo-poo.

mtbr member
    As others have said, the pressure numbers on the side of tires are completely meaningless. They have nothing to do with tire performance and everything to do with lawsuits. Most don't list a range either, just a maximum. You should only be close to that when trying to seat the beads. There are lots of variables that come into play to determine what tire pressure you should run, and they will change for every ride, especially in snow. Tubeless is one of the factors and allows you to safely run lower pressure than with tubes.

11 psi sounds high to me, even on dirt. I run my 3" plus tires around there. On my 4" tires, anything over about 8 psi feels too bouncy. I run about 6 psi on dirt and 4ish on snow. 4" tires, 200lb rider+gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tubeless setup and recommended pressures-1.jpg

Tubeless setup and recommended pressures

~ I burped the bead enough to flat the rear. Should I keep trying fat bike hill climbs and trails tricks tubeless or should I add orange seal to a tube. I could not imagine running tubeless @ 5-10 psi. After fixing the rear I then burped the front playing in the yard ~ had just inflated rear and confirmed front at 15 psi.

Fresh purchase ~ First ride. Spesh Fuse 27.5x3 / Tubeless / orange seal / 15 PSI / Hill Climb / side hill / 40+ 200 Lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whitfield96 View Post
    ~ I burped the bead enough to flat the rear. Should I keep trying fat bike hill climbs and trails tricks tubeless or should I add orange seal to a tube. I could not imagine running tubeless @ 5-10 psi. After fixing the rear I then burped the front playing in the yard ~ had just inflated rear and confirmed front at 15 psi.
    This is likely highly dependent on how tight your bead / rim interface is. The Vee / Mulefut is (notoriously) tight. I've been running ~8 PSI without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    This is likely highly dependent on how tight your bead / rim interface is. The Vee / Mulefut is (notoriously) tight. I've been running ~8 PSI without issue.
    Pfft, I run tubeless at 3 psi routinely without an issue on the Mulefuts and D5's. Never a peep out of them as far as burping or issues.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Pfft, I run tubeless at 3 psi routinely without an issue on the Mulefuts and D5's. Never a peep out of them as far as burping or issues.
    Same. I've had them even lower. It's a great combo.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Oh yeah? Well my dad can beat up your dad.

Ambassador of Chub
    Speaking of tire pressures (yet again), I'm bummed the 'Spin' thread got deleted. It had real potential.

"The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fresh powder in Central VA and a 40 pack of 12 oz CO2 cartridges.

Let the low psi testing begin. Seriously hoping against hope that the combination of WTB Scraper i45 wheelset and 6 Fattie ground control tires are not a deal breaker.