Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump

...Oh yes you can!

I finally caved in a bought a floor pump (no compressor at home)
    anyone else try one of these for setting the bead on a tubeless fat tire?

Most reviews give it pretty decent marks, would be handy to have in the truck at the trail-head too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsyIM08vVIw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump-flash_charger.png  

2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nope. On my Jackalope rims and Surly MOBD a regular floor pump does the trick. In fact, my tiny, little, old Silca track pump works just fine!

I have thought about the Bontrager pump to use on some less friendly fat rims but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

mtbr member
    Ya, my ultimate goal is a set of Wampa carbon wheels,
    instead of swapping tires on Two bikes every Fall/Spring.

(Winter Gnarwhal/Summer Barbegazi) Both Farley's on MuleFut wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump-wampa.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have been using one for a while. I got it because I was living in an apt and could use a compressor. Works awesome

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was unable to get a Bud seated on a Nextie rim with a Bontrager Flash Charger, but the old non-tubeless ready Bud/Lou are notorious for being loose fitting. Using a tube to seat the beads first, then breaking one seal, inserting sealant and re-inflating works, though. I'm wondering if the new tubeless-ready version of Bud/Lou can be seated with a Flash Charger??

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    My new tubeless Bud sealed with one shot from my compressor. Barely a Psi or 2 but the beads sealed. Afterward it took about 20-25psi to fully seat. This was dry, working the beads into place with my hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    ...Oh yes you can!

I finally caved in a bought a floor pump (no compressor at home)
    anyone else try one of these for setting the bead on a tubeless fat tire?

Not on a fat tire but seated a couple of plus tires the other day with one, works really nice.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are all kinds of challenges with mounting tubeless tires and few overall solutions. This will help, but it won’t solve all issues. Having a plethora of methods and strategies is what wins in the end IMO. That takes experience or picking up on everyone’s tips. You can get lucky and not have to go to extreme lengths.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

turtles make me hot
    I have that pump. Works awesome.
    I like turtles

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Ya, my ultimate goal is a set of Wampa carbon wheels,
    instead of swapping tires on Two bikes every Fall/Spring.

(Winter Gnarwhal/Summer Barbegazi) Both Farley's on MuleFut wheels

With any of the Bontrager Jackalope or Wampa rims, using a tubeless ready tire, you can literally set them up tubeless using the tiniest mini pump. No need for a compressor or the Flash Charger.

I have one of the Flash Charger's. I use it maybe twice a year on super stubborn combo's where the tolerances on rim and tire are far enough out that it's just not happening with a floor pump. It's a neat trick to have access to.

mtbr member
    I'm currently on MuleFut wheels, already setup tubeless on both Trek's (His and Her Farley 7's) The older style on my 18' Farley...cake to tape/seal.
    The new MuleFut V2's on my 20' Farley took more effort due to the larger cutouts resulted in a lot more stretch at the rim strip. Royal PITA!
    Tires are Bontrager Studded Gnarwhals for Winter and Barbegazis for Summer (27.5 x4.5's)

But now that the hard part is done, it's just a matter of getting a good bead seat when swapping Winter/Summer tires twice a year on two bikes.
    Ideally a second set of wheels for each bike (His and Hers) would be preferred, and 27.5" Wampa's are on my radar for my Summer/Barbegazi setup.
    Perfect opportunity to get upgraded Swiss DT350 hubs too, from what I've heard Bontragers are weak. But not in the budget right to get both bikes setup for another year.

For those that run two sets of wheels, Do you buy additional brake rotors too, or just swap over?
    Not sure if I would need any special tools to swap over the cassettes from one wheel set to the next.

Both bikes are SRAM NX,
    The 2018 is an 11 speed 11-42
    2020 is 12 speed 11-50 (rapid drive 108 hub)

Even with running two dedicated sets of wheels, doesn't the sealant still need to be changed out at least once a year?
    The Stan's NoTube label says to change it out every 2-7 months depending on use/climate. So still need to break and reset the bead

Sorry for all the n00b questions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump-park-bench-lean.jpg  

Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump-barbs-gnars_1.jpg  

Tubeless Setup with a Floor Pump-mulefut.png  

turtles make me hot
    Yeah, I have brake rotors and cassettes on all of my wheelsets. Makes changing over a five minute operation.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Referring to seating the new Surly Bud w/o an air compressor: Interesting! So, as I wear out my last "old" Bud, there may be hope for a new one. Thanks for posting up your results.