Tubeless Set Up For Holy Rolling Darryl's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Tubeless Set Up For Holy Rolling Darryl's

I have been running Dillinger 4's with downhill mountain bike tubes on my 9:zero:7 since I bought the bike in 2013. I'm tired of getting flats this time of the year before there is decent snow cover so I'm looking at a tubeless set up option for the outdated Holy Rolling Darryl rims. I have read about using foam to build up the rim valley, ghetto split tube, fatty strippers, etc. My 5 year old D4's (not even sure if they would be tubeless ready) are fairly stretched out so seating them will not be fun. I may replace them with Vanheglas but in the meantime I would appreciate suggestions on what others have had success with. Any help would be nice!

Ride On!

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Iíve had really good luck with the sill foam and split tube setup. Bud and Lou popped right on with a blast from my compressor. They have stayed seated even at very low PSI while slogging through deep snow, and during more aggressive riding on dirt at higher PSI. This is on HRDs and a 9:Zero:7 bought in 2013; same bike and wheels as yours.

Works great, but I do run a true tubeless wheelset and tires for racing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have been running fatty stripper with my rolling darryls with Vanhelgas and now Wazias. I run down under 1 psi quite a bit. I wont run anything else. I just put a tube in to set the beads, undo one side, pull the tube out, and finish seating the other bead. Works great. I have been using this setup for 3 years now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Split tube was probably the easiest method I ever used on those rims.
    2 layers of gorilla tape also worked but sealant gets in and makes a mess eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just used the stock rim strip and a split tube. I did not find the need for any sill foam, but maybe with certain brands it will help.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Use a tube to seat the beads. Break the bead on one side and remove tube. Place wheel with seated bead facing up and shake tire up and down when filling with air. Itís what worked best for me. I also used fattystrippers.

mtbr member
    Split tube for me too on these rims. It was likely the easiet conversion Iíve ever done. It literally took minutes. I did use an air compressor though - popped on quick.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Split tube for me too on these rims. It was likely the easiet conversion Iíve ever done. It literally took minutes. I did use an air compressor though - popped on quick.
    Yes, easiest is split tube. Just take out the tubes that are in there now and split it down the middle. Should have enough coverage. Iíve used 2.7Ē tubes before.

No need for foam or tape. Just leave the stock rim strips on there and tube on top. Spray with some soapy water, mount the tires and blast of air. Mineís held for years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sounds like most people did not require sill foam for split tube, which makes setup really easy. I did not need the extra foam layer when I set up a pair of HuDus, but it really helped to mount Bud and Lou. Could have just been my tires, however, as they were both super loose on the rim.

turtles make me hot
    Split tube and sill foam. Works awesome.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sounds like split tube is the easy way to go. IIRC, 24" Q tubes are the choice as they have removable valve cores. I have a air compressor so I'll try it without the foam sill seal and see how it goes. Otherwise, still need to look at sealant modifications for cold weather. I'm currently using Stan's on my FS MB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Un-holy RD, with manual holes and several bead dings added by previous owner. He ran them with tubes. I tapped out the dents and dings then split tube with sill foam and air compressor. Minion 4.8 holding for 2 years. My rim couldn't be more ghetto going into the process and it's working just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not to be contrary but I've got the same rims and been happy with sill foam and cling wrap. Only problem-whenever I unseat the tires I have to put down another layer of foam and rewrap the wrap. Doesn't cost much and has worked well for me!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    Sounds like split tube is the easy way to go. IIRC, 24" Q tubes are the choice as they have removable valve cores. I have a air compressor so I'll try it without the foam sill seal and see how it goes. Otherwise, still need to look at sealant modifications for cold weather. I'm currently using Stan's on my FS MB.
    If youíve got a stubborn tire, just take a cam strap and wrap it all the way around the tire and tighten down slightly. You just want the beads to spread out a little. It should air right up. I have a big roll of foam but have never needed it.

I donít know how cold it gets there. Where Iím at, maybe -10F coldest. I just use Stans. Of course, during the winter, Iíve not had any punctures (knock wood).

All fat, all the time.
    ^^
    The strap technique works well!