mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Tubeless sealant in cold weather

I've spent a bit of time searching for a similar thread, or at least one with answers, so ...

We don't get properly cold weather here in the UK, -16C tends to be as cold as it gets and that's only in a few locations, -8C is probably a realistic temperature.

We're heading to Arctic Finland in a couple of weeks where it's currently -23C and was wondering how tubeless sealants performed at these temperatures.

Is one make of sealant better than the others? Is it worth adding glycol to the mix to lower the freezing point?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For me, Orange Seal Sub-Zero has been flawless in temps down to -10F(-23C). I don't have any experience riding in temps colder than that...

This place needs an enema
    Generally, if your sealant has been recharged recently and your tires hold air consistently now, there's no real need to do anything.

If it's that cold you're not super likely to find thorns, etc...

I'd just be sure to bring bikes inside a heated ____ every night, so that if you do pick up something sharp, the sealant can thaw out and do it's job before it freezes again the next day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Ta. Generally there aren't thorns but there are cut saplings about the size of your finger but these tend not to be "on trail". I'll make sure to top sealant up before we head out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why would there not be thorns?
    Does the cold scare them away?

I've had issues with sealant in the cold before. Usually when you are closer to 0*F. Also when you are below freezing point if there is a bunch of mud on the tires then things also have a hard time 'drying' fast enough to actually seal.

Cold rubber might have something to do with it as well as its harder. I'm not sure just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Why would there not be thorns?
    Does the cold scare them away?
    Cold, no. More like the latitude -- he said he's going to arctic Finland. I'm not aware of any thorns up there. But I could certainly be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_w View Post
    Ta. Generally there aren't thorns but there are cut saplings about the size of your finger but these tend not to be "on trail". I'll make sure to top sealant up before we head out.

And sealant is generally not going to seal a puncture of that size without copious help from plugs, etc...

Recharging before you go is good. If you plan to swap tires, do it as many rides before leaving as you can, so that the sealant can start to "meld" the beads to the rim with each ride. The colder it is, the more important this step becomes.

mtbr member
    I've ran stans below minus 30C many times and even at -40C.just rode on Friday in -36C with no issues. Just plain old stans, I've ran the race sealant in these temps without issues too. I'd carry a dynaplug or similar tool incase you pick something up that requires a repair. Never rely on just sealant far from home.

As mentioned dont switch tires the day before the ride

Good luck

turtles make me hot
    Not sure how helpful this is but last week it was four degrees here. I had a bottle of Stans and a bottle of Truckerco out in my unheated garage. I expected to find both of them frozen but neither one was. I was pretty surprised.
    I like turtles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd just be sure to bring bikes inside a heated _Tauntaun_ every night, so that if you do pick up something sharp, the sealant can thaw out and do it's job before it freezes again the next day.
    Fixed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Fixed.

Thx for amending my oversight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I did wonder what the underlines were hiding

Thorns? Yes, a long way north (further north than McGrath, AK for example) and I don't recall seeing any even in summer photos of the area.

I've no plans to change tyres - I've only the one pair that's usable anyway. Unless there's some serious mechanical, nothing will get changed on the bike from now just to make sure everything is bedded in.

@Saskrider - yes I've a plug kit to take with me.