Tubeless on a holy rim rimstrip question- Mtbr.com
    Bedwards Of The West

Tubeless on a holy rim rimstrip question

I drilled out my Darryls and I'm taping and converting to tubeless... using a colored duct tape for a 'rimstrip' and then using transparent duct tape for the tubeless conversion.

Are you guys that are doing this or something similar running a surly rim strip (or similar) in there at some point also, just for strength? or is it no big deal to dump the surly rimstrip? I'm not crazy about the potential of poking a hole through my rimstrip/tape. Is that a common occurance?

Basically I've got like 4 or 5 layers of duct tape over those holes...am I gonna poke a hole through one of those with a stick and feel stupid? did one without using the surly rimstrip that I have, and now I'm questioning that decision...

Fairly easy to add the rimstrip and another layer of tape at this point, I haven't put any sealant in at this point. But if it's a non-issue, lighter is better...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

All fat, all the time.
    Don't bother.

If you have something that is going through 4 layers of duct tape, a rubber rim strip will not help.

3 years on rd's and I never had a puncture through one of the rim holes.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That's what I want to hear, thanks. I just have no experience there, and was stoked to drill out my rims (which I did)...but then as I was putting it together I realized I've never heard anyone talk about getting a flat/puncture because of something jabbing into one of those holes... It seems like it might be an easy thing to do...or not... it just never crossed my mind. So it's not a common thing? Is it a concern at all? I guess it would take just the right angle with just the right stick or something...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just have two pieces of duct tape sticky sides together. Then a split tube.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    split tube, especially if you ride lots of mud and water. i did tape first and after a couple months the adhesive broke down and i had leaks around all the rim holes. switched to split tube, no issues in over a year.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ How much tape and what kind?

I've used gorilla tape on all my "normal" bikes for several years with no issues. I used the Scotch Transparent duct tape for the fat bike conversion. I don't do a ton of mud or water, but I can see how water sneaking into the rim holes could start to break down the adhesive on the tape from the bottom, if it snuck in between the colored 'rim strip' tape and the rim itself.