Tubeless Big Fat Larry's on Clownshoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tubeless Big Fat Larry's on Clownshoes?

I know some guy's have gone tubeless on narrower rims but has any one gone tubeless with BFL's on Clownshoe's?
    Mine are on their way and I did not order tubes.

Gcappy

mtbr member
    This person mentions they have and would suspect a few others too:
    Thick Bikes

Another great video:Fatbike Tubeless - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tubless

Well gcappy after reading what you wrote I gave them ago ( they are BFL and 100mm clown shoes on my moonlander) I did replace the tubes about a month ago and did the gaff tape wrap around the rims and replaced the tyres. So this arvo I let the front tyre down and the bead was stuck nicely on the rim so I popped the bead off one side and removed the tube and put in a tubeless valve ( presta with a removable core ) put in 5 cups of stans sealer popped the bead back on took out the valve core placed rope around the outside of the tyre and tightened the rope to push the bead back to the rim hooked up the compressor and the bead sealed straight away put the valve core back in and sloshed the sealant around ( it came out in a few spots) topped up to 9lbs and done, took 15 mins.So I did the rear and went for a ride, I went up our lookout to a loose limestone rocky with tree roots ( my other bike is a ibis mojo 26er and she scrambles and slides and looses traction and you have to pick agood line to dodge 3-5 ins rocks and it's a tight single track) Any way the moony went up there faster than my mojo never spun the wheels ( this is a 15% climbed) she just rolled over every thing the only suspension she's got is a thudbuster seat post. The tyres bounced of roots and rocks and 8 hrs later the tyres are still holding the same pressure. So thank you for asking the question and inspiring to get off my but and give it ago. Cheers Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patatak View Post
    Well gcappy after reading what you wrote I gave them ago ( they are BFL and 100mm clown shoes on my moonlander) I did replace the tubes about a month ago and did the gaff tape wrap around the rims and replaced the tyres. So this arvo I let the front tyre down and the bead was stuck nicely on the rim so I popped the bead off one side and removed the tube and put in a tubeless valve ( presta with a removable core ) put in 5 cups of stans sealer popped the bead back on took out the valve core placed rope around the outside of the tyre and tightened the rope to push the bead back to the rim hooked up the compressor and the bead sealed straight away put the valve core back in and sloshed the sealant around ( it came out in a few spots) topped up to 9lbs and done, took 15 mins.So I did the rear and went for a ride, I went up our lookout to a loose limestone rocky with tree roots ( my other bike is a ibis mojo 26er and she scrambles and slides and looses traction and you have to pick agood line to dodge 3-5 ins rocks and it's a tight single track) Any way the moony went up there faster than my mojo never spun the wheels ( this is a 15% climbed) she just rolled over every thing the only suspension she's got is a thudbuster seat post. The tyres bounced of roots and rocks and 8 hrs later the tyres are still holding the same pressure. So thank you for asking the question and inspiring to get off my but and give it ago. Cheers Pat
    Wow, thanks Pat. Very inspiring. I cant wait to get my box of parts. I will also have a surprise on the bike that I can't divulge at this time. I am going to chronicle the entire build including pictures. I am still praying that the Clownshoed BFL's don't scrape the frame.

Please let us know how the tires go from here with pressure loss and or burping.

Gcappy

Bite Me.
    Is running tubeless a significant improvement over just using light weight tubes? Seems like a real hassle to set up and maintain and no real advantage weight-wise when you factor in the rim tape and all the sealant - just curious.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    Is running tubeless a significant improvement over just using light weight tubes? Seems like a real hassle to set up and maintain and no real advantage weight-wise when you factor in the rim tape and all the sealant - just curious.
    I can't really comment yet on a fat tubeless tire I can only surmise and listen to the others that have already done it.

I do have experience going tubeless with my 29er and the difference is night and day. Besides running 18 psi in the rear tire which provides superior grip/traction, I never get stopped by punctures. I have had several punctures where I can hear air escaping and they seal almost instantly. I just keep on riding with no loss of pressure. I have also had punctures that I did not detect until inspecting the tire when cleaning.

As far as difficulty setting them up, granted the fat tires are a bit more work but I think the benefits far out way the time and effort it takes to do it.

I am even going tubeless on my road bike.

Gcappy

Bite Me.
    I'm tubeless on my 29er and love it, but figured it was too much of a pain on the fat bike since the pressures are already so low even with tubes. A lightweight tube with a removable valve core sounds ideal with Stan's. Whatever works for ya.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    It's not for weight savings, it is to reduce flats.

Human Test Subject
    How's tubeless been treating you, Pat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi, Just an update on the tubeless bfl's and clown shoes, they did lose pressure over a week so I blew them back up to 10 psi and sloshed the sealent around again and they are holding up fine, so went for a ride to the beach and dropped the pressure to 5psi and 6 psi on rear and did 15 km on the beach and a few tracks did a heap of jumps off banks and hard swerving and bouncing over rocks and they held up well. going tubeless saved about 850gm between both tyres that's with adding tape and sealant to the tyres, and that's rotating weight which reduces the centrifical force on the wheels, on the single track at speed she just flicks around the corners like a normal mountain bike, the best weight saving you can have is in the tyres and rims, 1kilo saved here I reckon is equal to about 3 kilos in the frame, I was suprised at the difference so go for it! cheers Pat

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My BFL clownshoe combo was blowing the seams of my tubes, including the Surly Toobs (maybe I got a bad batch) I am trying tubeless hoping for more reliability. I have some doubts about what happens when I get to 4psi.

mtbr member
    Hi, Just an update on the tubeless bfl's and clown shoes, they did lose pressure over a week so I blew them back up to 10 psi and sloshed the sealent around again and they are holding up fine, so went for a ride to the beach and dropped the pressure to 5psi and 6 psi on rear and did 15 km on the beach and a few tracks did a heap of jumps off banks and hard swerving and bouncing over rocks and they held up well. going tubeless saved about 850gm between both tyres that's with adding tape and sealant to the tyres, and that's rotating weight which reduces the centrifical force on the wheels, on the single track at speed she just flicks around the corners like a normal mountain bike, the best weight saving you can have is in the tyres and rims, 1kilo saved here I reckon is equal to about 3 kilos in the frame, I was suprised at the difference so go for it! cheers Pat
    Thanks for the update Pat. I have finished my build and will be going tubeless as soon as I get a couple of hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No worries gcappy, checked out your build on the post, looks bloody awesome, well done, should be proud, Cheers Pat

mtbr member
    No worries gcappy, checked out your build on the post, looks bloody awesome, well done, should be proud, Cheers Pat
    Thanks Pat. Am working a bunch this week so time is short. Need to do some tweaking before I head to NC. Will be racing the Superfly 29 er and trail riding the fatty at the National white water center in Charlotte Oct 8-14.

Members who have read this thread: 1