Truing a Rolling Darryl on a Mukluk 2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Truing a Rolling Darryl on a Mukluk 2?

Ever since I got my Mukluk 2 a month or so back I'd noticed that the rear wheel seems to have a slight wobble in it. The front is just fine, but the rear is just a little off. As determined by pluking and listening for tone the rear also isn't completely even tension-wise, but none of the spokes are loose.

There's about 1mm of wobble, as measured by putting a cable tie around the chainstay and pivoting it in towards the rim and watching for rub.

Before I attempt to correct this, I was just curious if any of you have any experience with or advice on truing a fat bike rim. Or, is this something you'd even bother with? I figured there wouldn't be much movement possible since the rim is so rigid on its own, but as this has a little wobble there's obviously something going on.

(Also, yes, I do have tire wobble as well, but that's just how it is with large tires it seems.)

Harmonius Wrench
    You can try truing it. The RD does respond well to truing, but the rims are not "precision instruments" from the get go. You may be chasing your tail if the rim extrusion is off a hair.

I have built a few of these up and my take is that due to the quality of extrusion I wouldn't expect a perfect run out, and the rims do vary from one to another a bit.

Someone that's built more RD's than I can correct me if I am off here.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

All fat, all the time.
    Similar situation here, front is darn near perfect, rear not so much. But I have banged mine on rocks and roots allot.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about only 1mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Similar situation here, front is darn near perfect, rear not so much. But I have banged mine on rocks and roots allot.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about only 1mm.
    I've clomped over my fair deal of things, but I don't think I've hit the rim yet. (I erred on the side of over-inflating for the test single track rides I did after building it up.)

I've got less than 100 miles on the bike right now, and I did notice the slight wobble before even building it up. I'm probably going to do just as you and not worry about it for now, but keep an eye on it anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    You can try truing it. The RD does respond well to truing, but the rims are not "precision instruments" from the get go. You may be chasing your tail if the rim extrusion is off a hair.

I have built a few of these up and my take is that due to the quality of extrusion I wouldn't expect a perfect run out, and the rims do vary from one to another a bit.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. And, so long as the wheel is strong 1mm is not going to be felt in any way; especially with the tire having much more variance than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    tbh,1mm on a disc wheel isn't a mahoosive amount,specially on a fat rim,I've just built up a set of 80mm wheels for my fatty,and was happy with +/- 1mm.
    you certainly won't feel it,as has been said,the tyre run out is probably more

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    ...I have built a few of these up and my take is that due to the quality of extrusion I wouldn't expect a perfect run out, and the rims do vary from one to another a bit....
    QBP's rims and tires have very poor quality, the fat tires and rims cost as much as a good motorcycle equivalents but what we're getting sucks. There's no way motorcycle tires and motorcycle rims could be this bad a still be ridden.

I spent a few hours messing with a $120 Larry trying to get it to seat true, I finally realized it has a big kick. I have a Large Marge with a big kick at the weld, I paid $260 plus sales tax for very poor quality products.

One would think you'd stand up for your audience, the consumer. It's as if you have received all sorts of compensation from QBP and they have become your real audience.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    One would think you'd stand up for your audience, the consumer. It's as if you have received all sorts of compensation from QBP and they have become your real audience.

Mind explaining just what you are trying to say with this line?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com