mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)

New here, but am a 20 year experienced mechanic and a former professional racer in road and track.

Got an interesting question because the internet goes back and forth on this issue and Trek won't give me a straight answer.

I have a sweet new 19.5" Farley 9.6 in Green. Will it fit the Manitou Mastodon Pro EXT 100mm? Specifically, I am concerned about fork crown knob adjusts hitting the downtube.

I have heard that cane creek makes extended crown races in a 3mm and 6mm. If necessary, which one will fit better?

Thank you all for your time and answers.

Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    If it is an issue when I get it, I will post some pictures. I found this possible solution as well:
    https://www.mtbtools.com/product/ext...ork-clearance/

Still wonder if anyone has an answer, as I would order this part before the fork arrives if clearance is an issue.

mtbr member
    A quick search for Farley in the Manitou Mastodon thread resulted in this answer (thread #67):

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ma...l#post13255214

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)-ddddd.jpg

mtbr member
    Ive heard the ex needs the 3mm spacer... not much help with the HT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thank you for the assistance. Sometimes, though I tried, I can't find an obvious already posted answer. My concern will remain for now, as I have the carbon frame in a 19.5" and the aluminum Farley 5 may be slightly different (based on frame size and downtube spacing). Again, thank you for a wonderful response.

mtbr member
    I have a carbon 9.8 and had to put a small spacer, maybe 3mm under the crown race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I have a carbon 9.8 and had to put a small spacer, maybe 3mm under the crown race.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Had the same problem with a Mastodon Comp in a size small Wozo. Cane Creek 6mm crown race took care of it with plenty of room.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    ^^^ This...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    A quick search for Farley in the Manitou Mastodon thread resulted in this answer (thread #67):

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ma...l#post13255214

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddddd.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1233678
    strange, later in that same thread (Post #592), akacoke says the Pro Ext 120 hits the downtube on his 17.5 inch Farley 7.

he later says it barely clears with the 3 mm spacer.

I am about to buy a Pro 120 STD for my 19.5 inch Farley 9.6.

I want to know if it will clear the downtube without a spacer.

I know it won't clear my 27.5 x 4.5 winter setup without moving spacers, but it will clear the 27.5 x 3.8 and 29x3 summer setups.

I'm also considering just getting a Pike 120 or Fox 34 with boost spacing and getting a new hub for my front summer wheel. I would lose the ability to run the 3.8's on stock wheels though if i go that route.

what size frame and which exact fork to you have?
    Last edited by Swerny; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:13 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Hi,

I have a 2016 Farley 7 19.5 frame (large) with 120mm mastodon pro std and it doesn’t hit the top tube, if you would like a picture I will post. Great fork ugly though and hasn’t failed me in the cold like my Bluto would. Also 27.5 tires with 4.5 width fit no problem without going ext version I can post a pic of that too I have studded Gnarwhals on at the moment.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here's a couple old pictures I found with and without the spacer, my spacer is about 5.5mm, this is 17.5 inch Farley 9.6 with a Pro 120 STD fork.

This isn't rocket science, pick up a new headset and do a test fit…

You can also test fit your tire size without mounting the fork, let all the air out of the fork, then compress the fork with the wheel and tire combination in question, see if it bottoms out on the fork crown.

Studded 4.5 Gnarwhals bottomed out on my fork crown, had to install a internal bottom out spacer on both side…

Plus you'll need a 180mm front rotor if you haven't upgraded yet.

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)-img_5832a.jpg

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)-img_5948a.jpg

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)-img_5942a.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    Here's a couple old pictures I found with and without the spacer, my spacer is about 5.5mm, this is 17.5 inch Farley 9.6 with a Pro 120 STD fork.

You can also test fit your tire size without mounting the fork, let all the air out of the fork, then compress the fork with the wheel and tire combination in question, see if it bottoms out on the fork crown.

Studded 4.5 Gnarwhals bottomed out on my fork crown, had to install a internal bottom out spacer on both side…

Name:	IMG_5832a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	1234133

Name:	IMG_5948a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	1234135

Name:	IMG_5942a.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1234134
    Ive seen some domed knob pics too, looks like it would clear no spacer filed down for sure.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post

Name:	IMG_5832a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	1234133

Name:	IMG_5948a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	1234135

Name:	IMG_5942a.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1234134
    Just received my fork, and after trying it on my 19.5" Farley 9.6 2019, I can confirm that these pictures are accurate to my frame as well. Spacer ordered (5mm) and we will see. Thank you everyone for the help!

Side note, I went with MTB tools dot com, which has a custom (from 5-25mm of your choice) crown race cup. 25 with shipping. Were there less expensive items? I didn't want extra wiggle down there, so I figured one CNC piece was the best bet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Ive seen some domed knob pics too, looks like it would clear no spacer filed down for sure.

That picture is a little deceiving, check this one out… it definitely hit, yes you could file it down and use a black sharpie on it, or buy a $25 spacer… a worn headset or loose headset, and one crash good by frame, maybe a aluminum frame, roll the dice.

Trek Farley 9.6/ Mastodon Pro (Crown adjust knobs vs. downtube clearance)-img_5830b.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner.989 View Post
    Hi,

I have a 2016 Farley 7 19.5 frame (large) with 120mm mastodon pro std and it doesn’t hit the top tube, if you would like a picture I will post. Great fork ugly though and hasn’t failed me in the cold like my Bluto would. Also 27.5 tires with 4.5 width fit no problem without going ext version I can post a pic of that too I have studded Gnarwhals on at the moment.

Cheers
    I'd like to see the pics. Thanks
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc