Tough summer wheel suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Tough summer wheel suggestions

Can anyone suggest a tough fat bike wheelset that will do well on hard surfaces such as rocks and roots?

I ride a foes mutz with bontager jackalope rims laced to a dt350 front and hope fatsno rear hub, both 26". Front tire is a maxxis minion 4.8 and the rear is a 4.0 minion, I run both tubeless.

I've been denting the living shit out of my rear rim this summer and I was hoping to find something that's a little tougher overall. Planning to keep the bontager wheels for my winter set and I'd love a second summer set that I could beat on. I weigh 235ish and I'm hard on wheels. Would prefer to stay with an alloy rim.

I was looking at the hed bad wheelset when I read in another thread that they don't do well in the summer. Now I'm thinking a narrower rim would suit summer conditions a little better compared to the 80mm jackalopes/heds...

I'm not totally opposed to a 27.5 wheelset.

Any suggestions are welcome.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darwink1 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a tough fat bike wheelset that will do well on hard surfaces such as rocks and roots?

I ride a foes mutz with bontager jackalope rims laced to a dt350 front and hope fatsno rear hub, both 26". Front tire is a maxxis minion 4.8 and the rear is a 4.0 minion, I run both tubeless.

I've been denting the living shit out of my rear rim this summer and I was hoping to find something that's a little tougher overall. Planning to keep the bontager wheels for my winter set and I'd love a second summer set that I could beat on. I weigh 235ish and I'm hard on wheels. Would prefer to stay with an alloy rim.

I was looking at the hed bad wheelset when I read in another thread that they don't do well in the summer. Now I'm thinking a narrower rim would suit summer conditions a little better compared to the 80mm jackalopes/heds...

I'm not totally opposed to a 27.5 wheelset.

Any suggestions are welcome.

D
    What air pressures you running? I'm impressed your denting rims at only 235lbs.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Been experimenting with pressures lately and I believe I had roughly 16.5 in the front and 17.5psi in the rear last ride. Part of my problem I think is the 4" tire/80mm rim out back.

One nice thing about the bontager rims is they're quite malleable and I was able to hammer it back into shape on the trail using a rock and a stick. Wish I would have snapped a picture because it was a really nice dent lol.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darwink1 View Post
    Been experimenting with pressures lately and I believe I had roughly 16.5 in the front and 17.5psi in the rear last ride. Part of my problem I think is the 4" tire/80mm rim out back.

One nice thing about the bontager rims is they're quite malleable and I was able to hammer it back into shape on the trail using a rock and a stick. Wish I would have snapped a picture because it was a really nice dent lol.

D
    Lol that's impressive work, are you running the 4.0 because you can't fit wider? That's lots of pressure though, have you tried going down to 10psi? Maybe that'll let the tire take the hit more than the rim.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Still a decent amount of room to run a bigger tire, I ride a Foes Mutz frame. 4.0 is the biggest tire that fits in the rack at the hill, I run that on the rear so I only have to swap the front from the 4.8 to a 4.0. Makes life a little easier.

When I go super low with the pressure the bike feels too sluggish for my taste and tends to fold a little too much in the corners. Just doesn't feel right.

I'm thinking a narrower rim would get protected by the sidewall a little better.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Last year I was running 27.5x3.8 tires on 80mms and had one too many dings. This year, I found my 3 season set-up with 27.5x 3.8 on Arc 45s. They work great for me! I'm 225# and have never been easy on gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post
    Last year I was running 27.5x3.8 tires on 80mms and had one too many dings. This year, I found my 3 season set-up with 27.5x 3.8 on Arc 45s. They work great for me! I'm 225# and have never been easy on gear.
    I heard good things about the raceface arc rims, I was looking at a set of 27.5s to build but now I'm thinking about going straight to 29s and running 3" tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had that same thought last year. Built-up the BFat ad the 29+. Rode the 29+ and BFat all season. Always felt like I was missing the "perfect" mix. Mikesee then built me up the 45 Arcs and now I never ride the 29+. The BFat checks all the boxes. Fast, stable and it feels more nimble.

The 29+ are now on my lady's fat bike. The 80mm are for the 4.5 winter set-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post
    I had that same thought last year. Built-up the BFat ad the 29+. Rode the 29+ and BFat all season. Always felt like I was missing the "perfect" mix. Mikesee then built me up the 45 Arcs and now I never ride the 29+. The BFat checks all the boxes. Fast, stable and it feels more nimble.

The 29+ are now on my lady's fat bike. The 80mm are for the 4.5 winter set-up.
    So you prefer the 27.5 over the 29s? Can I ask why specifically you decided to stay with 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    27. w 3.8 on 45s measure out at 3.5". Gives me more of a fat bike feel vs a plus. More traction, more give on a hard tail, and more stable. Mildly shorter making the bike feel not quite as long as the 29+. I ride lot soft loose, steep, backcountry game trails. I like traction.
    If I was racing I would run 29+. If I am looking for fun I always choose BFats. Plus, it crushes your friend's spirits when they can't shake you on a "Fat Bike".

This is a good read on BFat with lots of discussion in the second half about "Bfat Minus":
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/27...ot-979984.html