mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New question here. Tires that Fit Pugs Rear

Quick question I want to ask people on what tires they know will clear the rear frame of a Pugsley frame? Have Nate 4.0" on 65mm Marge Lite rims now but looking to upgrade to Edna's if they fit or something similar.

Also curious to see what is the largest size tire people have fit on their pugs without rubbing. I know all Brands and sizes are not the same.

Thanks

This place needs an enema
    If overall size is the most important thing, BFL fits on your 65mm rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If overall size is the most important thing, BFL fits on your 65mm rim.
    Okay yes I was curious to find out what other tires and sizes people have used on a Pugsley with out issues. I am told the Edna's will work with up to an 80mm rim on them and they are 4.3" tires so I am sure there are some others that work around this size too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ednas certainly work on a 65mm on a Pugs.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm curious if it makes much difference to go wider a few mm from 120tpi 3.8 Knard in R, with 3.8 Larry F, on 65 mm rims, for the surfaces I ride (That's what I'm rolling on now). I ride the beaches, trails, doubletrack, gravel and paved roads here on the WA coast, and this tire combo seems to work for me. Pretty much an all-round combo, although maybe not the best. Its what I have, on my old school Pugs.
    Often, when riding the beach during the Summer, I have to get off and push a couple hundred feet uphill thru the really dry, fluffy soft sand high up on the beach, usually when I'm headed back up off from riding on the lower beach, where the sand is firmer or packed. If I charge the same soft upper beach sand on the way down to the waters edge, I can often spin my way through it. Uphill on the soft stuff almost always has me off and pushing.
    I have three sets of fat tires, and they aren't wearing out fast enough to make me feel that I actually NEED any more.
    I don't ride snow, since it rarely snows here on the beach.
    If I live long enough to wear out at least one of my tire sets, then I might try some new ones, so I read about 'em here, just for giggles.

mtbr member
    29x2.3 purgatory/butcher tires fit

Had a spare set of hoops, so the Pugs now has another set of shoes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires that Fit Pugs Rear-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    I'm curious if it makes much difference to go wider a few mm from 120tpi 3.8 Knard in R, with 3.8 Larry F, on 65 mm rims, for the surfaces I ride (That's what I'm rolling on now). I ride the beaches, trails, doubletrack, gravel and paved roads here on the WA coast, and this tire combo seems to work for me. Pretty much an all-round combo, although maybe not the best. Its what I have, on my old school Pugs.
    Often, when riding the beach during the Summer, I have to get off and push a couple hundred feet uphill thru the really dry, fluffy soft sand high up on the beach, usually when I'm headed back up off from riding on the lower beach, where the sand is firmer or packed. If I charge the same soft upper beach sand on the way down to the waters edge, I can often spin my way through it. Uphill on the soft stuff almost always has me off and pushing.
    I have three sets of fat tires, and they aren't wearing out fast enough to make me feel that I actually NEED any more.
    I don't ride snow, since it rarely snows here on the beach.
    If I live long enough to wear out at least one of my tire sets, then I might try some new ones, so I read about 'em here, just for giggles.
    I personally wouldn't bother. Soft sugary sand going uphill--you'd be struggling on Snowshoe XXL's. Maybe you'd be able to ride it, but it'll be a ton of effort. I'd rather just get off and walk. Nothing wrong with that. I've got Van Helga up front and Nate rear. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Okay I am thinking I am going to go with an Edna for sure on the front on a Marge Lite 65mm rim and then if the Edna does not fit in the back maybe a VanHelga. Any thoughts?

I might try to set them both up tubeless using the Fatty Stripper technique.

My hope is to get the best possible setup for all year riding with the understanding I will be trying to avoid riding in deep snow but rather groomed trails in the winter as much as possible.

I have a 2014 Pugsley with a 2x9 setup. The only other thing I was wondering is if I go 1x10 or 1x11 would that give me more space in the back to fit an edna?

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnzieBoy View Post
    if the Edna does not fit in the back...
    Mike has already confirmed a BFL will fit, thats a '4.8' tyre... so Edna will be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I asked Surly HQ and Edna is officially NOT approved for the rear of the old Pugs frame. But I'm sure you can squeeze it in.

turtles make me hot
    BFL is a relatively smooth tire and it does fit on a Marge Lite. Surly calls it a 4.7. It's relatively small. I have have not yet seen an Edna in person but it's a lot knobbier than a B F Larry. I bet it doesn't fit in the older bikes. Would be nice if it did.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Okay I am thinking I am going to go with an Edna for sure on the front on a Marge Lite 65mm rim and then if the Edna does not fit in the back maybe a VanHelga. Any thoughts?

I might try to set them both up tubeless using the Fatty Stripper technique.

My hope is to get the best possible setup for all year riding with the understanding I will be trying to avoid riding in deep snow but rather groomed trails in the winter as much as possible.

I have a 2014 Pugsley with a 2x9 setup. The only other thing I was wondering is if I go 1x10 or 1x11 would that give me more space in the back to fit an edna?
    Hello. Curious to see if you were able to fit anything larger than the 3.8 Nate's on your 2014 Pug MLs?

I recently inquired Surly via email and calling regarding Edna's fitting and got the same response: ďThe 2014 Pugsley does not have enough room in the rear end of the bike to clear the 4.3" tire with proper shedding clearance. The current "refresh" of the pug was given a wider rear end to accommodate these tires.Ē

I recently got a used 2014 Pugs... all stock except changed to 1x10. according to Surly rep, this should not make a difference - its the frame that limits the tire size. I'm not too knowledgeable with bike tech, etc.... I read that some reply "it shouldn't be a problem" but haven't seen a reply saying that they've done it and have no problems, etc. Hopefully you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LouP74 View Post
    Hello. Curious to see if you were able to fit anything larger than the 3.8 Nate's on your 2014 Pug MLs?

I recently inquired Surly via email and calling regarding Edna's fitting and got the same response: ďThe 2014 Pugsley does not have enough room in the rear end of the bike to clear the 4.3" tire with proper shedding clearance. The current "refresh" of the pug was given a wider rear end to accommodate these tires.Ē

I recently got a used 2014 Pugs... all stock except changed to 1x10. according to Surly rep, this should not make a difference - its the frame that limits the tire size. I'm not too knowledgeable with bike tech, etc.... I read that some reply "it shouldn't be a problem" but haven't seen a reply saying that they've done it and have no problems, etc. Hopefully you can.

Hi there,

Yes I have not tried yet but I am torn between playing it safe and getting 2 Van Helga tires at 120TPI or doing Ednas or both with an Edna on front.

I think what i might do is get an Edna and then try it on the rear to see how it fits. It sounds like it fits but is tight and the mud and snow can then bind up in between the frame and tire.

It is hard as it seems like the Edna would be the perfect tire as a compromise between width and traction for an all around tire for all seasons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hi there,

Yes I have not tried yet but I am torn between playing it safe and getting 2 Van Helga tires at 120TPI or doing Ednas or both with an Edna on front.

I think what i might do is get an Edna and then try it on the rear to see how it fits. It sounds like it fits but is tight and the mud and snow can then bind up in between the frame and tire.

It is hard as it seems like the Edna would be the perfect tire as a compromise between width and traction for an all around tire for all seasons.
    Iím hoping the Ednaís work. I agree that they seem like the perfect size. Please post if edna or anything else works. Iíll wait for it. Just by eyeballing it looks like it should fit (3.8 to 4.3 is only half an inch). Nateís are probably fine for my riding (I doubt Iíll do much riding in snow) - but if you have a bike, its impossible to leave it be... always something to upgrade! Lol. If I try anything ill do the same. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Edna on rear - enough clearance?

So i bought 1 Edna. Figured if it didn't fit in rear, i could keep it up front and leave the nate in the back.

Up front, no problem with clearance at all.

In the back, it's tightest area is at right chain stay. (due to the tread/knob). I measured about 4mm clearance. On the left there's maybe 2mm additional clearance. This is at 10psi (with tubes).

Initially I put the tire on the rim (Marge lite) and inflated to 30psi to ensure proper seating. I installed the tire and saw about 1mm clearance - the hairs of the tire were touching the right chain stay. i did decrease psi to 20, then 15, then 10 and got more clearance as i decreased psi.

What do you think? is that enough clearance? i rode around the street for 5 min and seemed fine. i have yet to take it to the trails. if good, i'll purchase another edna. if not, up front it goes.

Sorry about the picture orientation. One is with the 1mm clearance (30mpsi), one is 4mm (10psi). and the further pic of the 4mm clearance. Hope this helps.
    Tires that Fit Pugs Rear-fullsizeoutput_21be.jpgTires that Fit Pugs Rear-fullsizeoutput_21bf.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires that Fit Pugs Rear-img_0844.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nope, I wouldn't do it. Unless you're sticking to paved roads. But thanks for trying and posting - I was wondering myself!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I agree with Christian. It fits but just barely and I think it may rub from time to time if you corner hard at low preasure (maybe not but it is really close).

Thanks for checking that as I was just about to try the same thing. I am thinking I might go with an Edna up front and then the 45 North Vanhelga in the rear. I have buddies who like the Vanhelga and it would be a little bit of an upgrade over a Nate plus it is tubeless ready.

If only there was like 3-4mm more clearance on the stays then I think the Enda would work great. I guess you could always just ride it in the back on a few trails and see how it does. Then you can swap to the front if it does still rub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Now I am kinda curious to know if a jumbo jim 4.4 would fit in the rear. I cannot find the overall tire dimensions for this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Iím not sure about jumbo Jimís. Knobs donít seem to be as large as EdnaÖ but each tire may not be truly the size itís advertised to be. I donít know peeps (with JJ 4.4Ē) well enough locally to swap tires just to see if it fits. Post hereís if it works or doesnít work... Iím in the same boat.

For me... Iím not sure if VH on the rear would be worth the upgrade from a Nate unless I actually needed to buy a new tire. But... Iím a noobie so my 2 cents may be worth nothing..lol.

I will keep the Edna on the rear and do some riding and decide from there whether or not to keep it there... I donít do any crazy riding here in NJ... but will see... if any issues with tire rubbing frame Iíll swap out. Might be a few days before Iím able to get out to ride but I will post what happens. The pictures I took make it look closer than it really is but 4mm is 4mm.

Good luck... Iíll check back in soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hi Lou,

Yes my Nate's are the originals from the bike and are just about done. They still work but want to upgrade for this winter with something new and hopefully more snow. Since you said you have closer to 4mm clearance with the tire deflated to around what I would normally say is riding PSI (8-15psi for trails) I think you should just go for it and ride it to see if rubs. I would try turning hard a few times at speed to incase it may rub in that case. If it does not rub I may just go and get one myself too. I think if it fits it would be the best all around tire available now for a bike like the Pugs which does not have the newer fat bike models wide clearances.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Edna's Fit on rear of a 2014 Pugs

Tires that Fit Pugs Rear-ednapugsley.jpg

Hello... meant to post earlier here... Just an update.

I did take the bike on the trails - took hard turns and rooty descents. No tire rub on the frame at all. (I may not ride as hard as most peeps). Looks like Ednas work on the rear (at psi of 5-15 on ML rims). If anyone goes bigger, please update! thanks and good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hi Lou, just curious if you find the Edna's really make a difference over the Nate's that you can tell.

About to order new tires for my Pugsley also expoloring the 4.4" Jumbo Jims but not sure if they would fit. I know there is a trade off on them for traction but they save a good bit of weight and alot of people ride them here in the Michigan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hi Lou, just curious if you find the Edna's really make a difference over the Nate's that you can tell.

About to order new tires for my Pugsley also expoloring the 4.4" Jumbo Jims but not sure if they would fit. I know there is a trade off on them for traction but they save a good bit of weight and alot of people ride them here in the Michigan.
    Hey BurnzieBoy... I probably not experienced enough to adequately describe differences between the 2. Overall I do like the Edna's - i feel like there is more float, traction is as good as Nate's. Keep in mind that i switched from the Nate's to Edna's after about 4-5 rides... then Edna's went tubeless after 2-3 rides... so couple variables at play there. Maybe its all in my head (since i spent the $$ for it) that it seems to roll better on flatter surfaces (packed dirt, gravel, pavement)? Only other i can compare is to a 5" tubeless Jumbo Jim on a Kona that i rode - and it seems that Edna's are in between Nate and 5" JJ as far as float. I would imagine that 4.4" JJ will be similar to Edna's but with less traction. Regarding weight... i haven't measured each component on a scale.. but my current setup is noticeably lighter than when i got it stock (32# vs 35# estimated). i don't know if i would notice a couple hundred gram difference - but if weight reduction is at the tires/wheels, that's where it would be most beneficial. Anyways... Hope things work out with whatever you decide. keep updating! thanks.