mtbr member since 1996

Tires for areas with snow/ice/mud 10F to 40F temps

I have a new Fat Bike on the way (Trek Farley 7). Living in Upstate NY we have a mix of conditions:
    • 12" snow one day
    • 40F and rain the next
    • 0F or lower temps at night
    • rocky/rooty trails with plenty of leaves

These conditions present challenges for tire selection. One day a 4.8" is best to float over the fresh snow. This melts and gets packed down until there is a layer of ice. More snow can cover that ice and now you may want a studded 4" tire to dig own and bite into the ice below.

What would you recommend for these various conditions? One tire/wheel. Swapping wheels or tires isn't an option at this time.

I have 4" Terrene Wazia light now. Can stud them. I have not ridden them yet (bike is still with Fed Ex).
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I also live in Upstate, NY(Lake George/Queensbury Region) and in my opinion, studded tires are an absolute must. For snow days I run Surly Bud and Lou. However, most of the time I am using studded 27.5 x 4.5 Bontrager Gnarwhals. These tires provide great traction and float for all but the deepest days. I have multiple wheel sets so I don't have to swap tires mid season. Perhaps think about the new Terrene Johnny 5 which should provide the best of both worlds!

All fat, all the time.
    Studded something for sure 4.8's

mtbr member
    Is this a "new" Farley 7 that already has Bontrager 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals? (27.5 80mm Mulefut wheels)
    if so, just install some Bontrager Carbide studs (218 per tire) for ~$100 and you're good to go.

...That's what I did, awesome Winter setup for my Farley 7 in Canada

I even ordered a second set of Gnar's to use for the non-Winter months (un-studded)
    when they went on sale for 20% off Black Friday (but I may trade them for Barbegazi's for a Summer set)

Studded Gnarwhal review here: https://fat-bike.com/2017/01/bontrag...-studded-tire/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Studded and as wide as you can go IME. This helps immensely over the roots, where your big tire will grip for any and everything it is worth. You can run the bigger tire at lower PSI, which enhances grip and comfort significantly in those harder conditions. Then when it does snow, you have the right tire to air down and use.

In real wet snow/slush, you'll struggle with anything, again, wider is best, but just like sugar/granular snow, there's nothing to bite against and those conditions can be crap for any tire.

The only way I'd recommend something closer to 4" is if one was going to be riding consistently on only hard-packed wide paths. I'd chose it for a few more races, just to have a light tire, but that isn't as many as you'd think and for pretty much all riding, I'd go for a 4.5-4.8" real-width tire.

Again, clawing at the roots, wider and more aggressive is better IME. Hard conditions, wider gives more cush and allows for lower PSI. Soft conditions, wider has more traction and float.

I'm loving the new J5s, it's obviously not the only tire in this class, but it's the kind of design where you go out and ride it and care much less about the conditions, because you know you are going to be prepared for them. I've been rocking the super-icy stuff here that few people are daring to ride just because they grip so well. Now we finally got some snow (just got back from 3+ hours) and they grip turns like velcro. I'd strongly suggest looking at the Wrathchild too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Also from CNY and haven't tried studs yet, happy so far with Bud/Lou at low PSI.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Is this a "new" Farley 7 that already has Bontrager 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals?
    No, 26Ē wheels. I am debating a set of 27.5, but really just need to ride what I have and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hard to really argue with Bud/Lou for this. What better fat bike tires are there? I have seen some claim that there are lighter/faster tires for summer use, but in terms of traction, I'm pretty confident Bud/Lou or even Bud/Bud are unbeatable!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Hard to really argue with Bud/Lou for this.
    For ice? The OP was pretty specific about a layer of ice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Curious why swapping tires isn't an option? I can swap a set of 26" fat tires (tubed) in 10-15 minutes without tools.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If it was me I'd stud the Wazias you already have and see how it goes. Lots of people are riding 4" tires with out seeing any major downsides. If you find you need more tire in the future go for it. Maybe the ultimate tire will be released next year
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    For ice? The OP was pretty specific about a layer of ice.
    Studs are a must for this no matter what tire is chosen.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by sns1294 View Post
    Curious why swapping tires isn't an option? I can swap a set of 26" fat tires (tubed) in 10-15 minutes without tools.
    They are tubeless and I want to keep them that way.

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I also live in Upstate, NY(Lake George/Queensbury Region) and in my opinion, studded tires are an absolute must. For snow days I run Surly Bud and Lou. However, most of the time I am using studded 27.5 x 4.5 Bontrager Gnarwhals. These tires provide great traction and float for all but the deepest days. I have multiple wheel sets so I don't have to swap tires mid season. Perhaps think about the new Terrene Johnny 5 which should provide the best of both worlds!
    A set of 27.5 may be in my future. Looking at a set off a 2019 Farley. Not sure about the Barbegazi tires. Seems like they are not great for winter here. I may go with 4.5Ē Gnarwalls and studs and use the 26Ē for a fat bike build for the Mrs.

mtbr member
    You should be sure about the Barbegazis. They are not the right tire for the riding you describe.

From what you describe I would go with something with studs. I agree with sryanak, stud the Wazias and ride them. You will not get the $ out of them to sell them and get something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live in Northern Vermont with similar conditions of course. This year I switched to 45N Wrathchilds and so far Iím loving the tires. Iíve owned Nates, Bud/Lou, Dillinger 5 and a few others but these Wrathchilds are the best all-arounds Iíve found to date. They roll better than Bud/Louís IMO but have as aggressive a bite. Far more aggressive than the D5ís and a much better Stud pattern for ice while rolling resistance wasnít too much of a sacrifice-less than I wouldíve guessed. Finally flotation is pretty great.