Tire TPI What is the difference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tire TPI What is the difference?

Aside from a price difference what is the actual difference and which one to use?
    Looking at black floyds there is a 120 tpi and a 27 tpi do they have different uses?

mtbr member
    It's like the thread count on a set of sheets or a dress shirt. The more threads per inch (TPI) the more supple.... at least this is my understanding of it.

On a personal note, unless you're going for the lightest weight bike out there, I don't personally see a benefit of the higher TPI casings.... I can't justify it for my budget. I run tubes, so maybe if you're into light weight and tubless set up the extra $ isn't a big deal. Try one of each and see if you notice the difference. Could be a fun experiment.

Nemophilist
    Threads Per Inch;

The threading does the majority of the work in the tire. The rubber holds it together and gives it form. Very similar to fiber reinforced composites.

Lower TPI = less threads per inch, larger heavier threads, more rubber to compensate for less threads. Heavier, more rugged, less expensive to produce, less compliant.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Many years ago there was an experiment conducted on different tyres to compare rolling resistance. One of the common factors shared by the tyres with the lowest rolling resistance was a high TPI count.

I don't have access to my library at the moment, but I think the test may have been conducted by Dunlop for the Moulton cycle company in the 1960s. I'm also fairly certain a more recent similar result was obtained by an IHPVA test.

If I recall correctly, one interesting result was that for a given common carcass construction with the same TPI, the fatter tyre rolled better than the skinny tyre WHEN the tyre pressure was the same.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Members who have read this thread: 0