Tire Selection help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Tire Selection help

I have a salsa muk that came stock with dillinger 5s that i studded for the winter. I want to take those off now and put something else on for mud season/the rest of the year.
    They will be used early spring, after it rains, and sometimes for the heck of it on rocky rooty muddy new england single track.
    The salsa comes with my other brother darryl rims, I think they are 80 mm wide. Right now I'm not looking to put a suspension fork on, so I think staying with a 5 inch tire would be best.
    I might use it in sand at the beach once in awhile and mabe a little urban use as well, but both of these uses are secondary to single track.

Any recommendations? I was thinking bud/lou or knards. or a knard out back with something else up front. or mabe minions front and rear?

Thank you for any and all input
    -Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    I have a salsa muk that came stock with dillinger 5s that i studded for the winter. I want to take those off now and put something else on for mud season/the rest of the year.
    They will be used early spring, after it rains, and sometimes for the heck of it on rocky rooty muddy new england single track.
    The salsa comes with my other brother darryl rims, I think they are 80 mm wide. Right now I'm not looking to put a suspension fork on, so I think staying with a 5 inch tire would be best.
    I might use it in sand at the beach once in awhile and mabe a little urban use as well, but both of these uses are secondary to single track.

Any recommendations? I was thinking bud/lou or knards. or a knard out back with something else up front. or mabe minions front and rear?

Thank you for any and all input
    -Dave
    For warm weather (I use studded Bud/Lou in the winter) I'm running Bud up front and Knard out back on 100 mm Clownshoes on a mix of rocky/roots Pennsylvania singletrack, smooth clay flowtrail, and pavement.

The combo seems to work fine - definitely less noisy than the Ground Controls I ran last year and the Knard is sure faster on dry trail than the Lou.

I try to avoid riding in mud- too much of a PITA but I'm guessing the Knard would not be a good mud tire (looks like it'd pack up and spin out climbing) and as for the Bud, I don't know that big tread would make for a decent sand tire on the beach.

I have read others say that Knard self-steers as a front tire; that Lou is not a sand tire; and that Minions are good on dry dirt so there's all that FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    For warm weather (I use studded Bud/Lou in the winter) I'm running Bud up front and Knard out back on 100 mm Clownshoes on a mix of rocky/roots Pennsylvania singletrack, smooth clay flowtrail, and pavement.

The combo seems to work fine - definitely less noisy than the Ground Controls I ran last year and the Knard is sure faster on dry trail than the Lou.

I try to avoid riding in mud- too much of a PITA but I'm guessing the Knard would not be a good mud tire (looks like it'd pack up and spin out climbing) and as for the Bud, I don't know that big tread would make for a decent sand tire on the beach.

I have read others say that Knard self-steers as a front tire; that Lou is not a sand tire; and that Minions are good on dry dirt so there's all that FWIW.
    Cool, Thanks. After a little deliberation, I think I might just get another set of 120 tpi D5's. they work pretty good and seem to be an all arounder

turtles make me hot
    Have a look at Bontrager Barbegazis. My brother has them on Darryls on his Fatback. Kind of a jack of all trades like you're looking for.
    I also run Knard and Bud on my bike when there's no snow. Great combo.
    Is this a later Muk that is what used to be the Blackboro? If it's the earlier bike I don't know that a 4.8 Knard will fit. If it's the later one, should be no problem.
    I like turtles

banned
    I've tried the Barbegazi front and rear and can say that I like the tire in the back but not as much in the front - on dirt and hilly singletrack at least. I like my tires to have a nice bite at the edges and the Barbegazis have the same rectangular blocks on their sides as down the middle. They seem similar to the Knard in that regard.

I'm currently running FBF Minions front and rear, and do like the combo for the dirt and hilly singletrack that I've been riding with them. The tires grip for days and have decently low rolling resistance. How they compare to D5s or Bud front and rear, I don't know but would be interested in finding out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Have a look at Bontrager Barbegazis. My brother has them on Darryls on his Fatback. Kind of a jack of all trades like you're looking for.
    I also run Knard and Bud on my bike when there's no snow. Great combo.
    Is this a later Muk that is what used to be the Blackboro? If it's the earlier bike I don't know that a 4.8 Knard will fit. If it's the later one, should be no problem.
    Cool, I'll check out the bontragers , yeah it's a 2017' muk, so good clearance

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    I've tried the Barbegazi front and rear and can say that I like the tire in the back but not as much in the front - on dirt and hilly singletrack at least. I like my tires to have a nice bite at the edges and the Barbegazis have the same rectangular blocks on their sides as down the middle. They seem similar to the Knard in that regard.

I'm currently running FBF Minions front and rear, and do like the combo for the dirt and hilly singletrack that I've been riding with them. The tires grip for days and have decently low rolling resistance. How they compare to D5s or Bud front and rear, I don't know but would be interested in finding out!
    The minions look like they would. Be decent in mud too, hmmmm so many choices