Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...

Hey....any of you use those tubeless repair kits? I am talking about those ones like these guys make: Tubeless Tire Repair Kit - Genuine Innovations

It seems that the only problem with going tubeless is getting a bad puncture, one big enough that your sealant won't plug it. It involves inserting a rope-like patch into the hole, much like what has been used in autos for years. You can get those tubeless patch kits but they require taking off the tire. These would allow you to repair from the outside.

So have any of you tried these?

OSRL

mtbr member
    Just carry a tube with you on rides. Repair the tire when you get home.

Yes that involves taking one bead if the tire off to insert a tube
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-21-2015 at 05:59 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Stand-up philosopher
    I've got one of those kits but have never used it. I also carry a tube that I've never used. I always assume that a tube would pop unless you thoroughly cleaned out the inside of the tire... Mine are usually full of thorns.

--
    Stephen
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think I'd be more inclined to use the mushroom style plugs on a bicycle tire... Something like this:

Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires - Stop & Go International Inc Store

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post

OSRL

Yes. I carry them and have used them more than once. They get you back to riding very fast with no messing around. Depending on the location of the hole they can be left permanently or they need to be removed and the tire patched from the inside.

I've stacked up to 3 of them to plug bigger holes.

I don't ride tubeless without these in my pack.

You can pull them out and reuse them as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    I think I'd be more inclined to use the mushroom style plugs on a bicycle tire... Something like this:

Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires - Stop & Go International Inc Store
    This has a lot to it....not as simple as the rope ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Just carry a tube with you on rides. Repair the tire when you get home.

Yes that involves taking one bead if the tire off to insert a tube
    Yes...sure, a tube works except I was looking for a quicker way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Yes. I carry them and have used them more than once. They get you back to riding very fast with no messing around......
    That's what I was looking for...thanks for the post.
    It is just not feasible to break a tire down, pull and replace a tube. Maybe in the field when you have plenty of time. But as a commuter I want to be up and running as fast as I can. I have pushed the bike home too many times.

mtbr member
    That's what I was looking for...thanks for the post.
    It is just not feasible to break a tire down, pull and replace a tube. Maybe in the field when you have plenty of time. But as a commuter I want to be up and running as fast as I can. I have pushed the bike home too many times.
    I've used 3 of these in that hole shown above riding down rough techy BC trails atfull speed on a 6" travel bike with no issues.

Other than DH racing I don't have a tougher way to test their performance.

You literally pop one in the hole and pump the tire up then keep riding. Nobody likes to wait around getting cold while you fix a flat.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Glad to hear that these plugs work in bike tires. I was afraid that bike tire casings might be too thin.
    I'v always carried a plug kit in my motor vehicles. After the first time I had to use it, I was sold on 'em. I had a front tire slowly go flat while driving on a logging mainline to a fishing spot. I jacked the front of my truck up, and discovered a roofing nail in the tire. I dug out my plugging kit, followed the instructions (extract nail, ream hole, insert plug), and used my old Zefal hp bicycle pump (which was coincidentally along for the ride) to re-inflate the tire. A couple hundred or so strokes later, i was back to going fishing.
    Of course, I didn't have to remove the wheel, and I was done in 20 minutes, much of that pumping air.
    The plug held until I had to buy new tires a couple of years later.

mtbr member
    Bought this a few weeks ago. Can't say I've used it yet.

Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Micro Pro - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

Carrying a tube is no fun. The whole kit is the size of a CO2 and super light.

A little pricy but made in USA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What is the plug in the pic, vikb? Can you post a link where I could purchase some? I am not familiar with that type. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post
    Bought this a few weeks ago. Can't say I've used it yet.

Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Micro Pro - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

Carrying a tube is no fun. The whole kit is the size of a CO2 and super light.

A little pricy but made in USA.
    That looks like it is nicely made...and small. Small always seems to command a higher price. Thanks for the post.

Rippin da fAt
    Dynaplug looks quite useful, tho' there's a price tag on it.
    It's simplicity seems worthy. Thanks for the link Stump!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey....any of you use those tubeless repair kits? I am talking about those ones like these guys make: Tubeless Tire Repair Kit - Genuine Innovations

It seems that the only problem with going tubeless is getting a bad puncture, one big enough that your sealant won't plug it. It involves inserting a rope-like patch into the hole, much like what has been used in autos for years. You can get those tubeless patch kits but they require taking off the tire. These would allow you to repair from the outside.

OSRL
    I've used these and it worked really well. I pulled a piece of glass out and put one of the plugs in and the Stan's sealed up the rest.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I got a hole in 45 North Vanhelga that the Orange Seal wouldn't stop, so I used a car tire plug. I'll let you know if it doesn't last.

Interestingly, I read that people use pieces of t-shirt to achieve the same thing (in the comments)

Plugging a Tire by bundokbiker, on Flickr
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I got a hole in 45 North Vanhelga that the Orange Seal wouldn't stop, so I used a car tire plug. I'll let you know if it doesn't last.

Interestingly, I read that people use pieces of t-shirt to achieve the same thing (in the comments)

Plugging a Tire by bundokbiker, on Flickr
    I've heard of multiple people using old tubes cut to look like rubber bands... So little rings.

--
    Stephen
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

frl
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Me and my friend, had to plug my front tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTq7O...e_gdata_player

mtbr member
    There is the Sahmurai Sword, which looks really cool as it stores in your bars....

Sahmurai Sword plugs holes in tubeless bike tires – with worms

I just can't find them for sale anywhere....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a plug kit but haven't used it. That being said I have shoved more than one apple thorn into the tire and even used a rose thorn to stop a leak. For the record all the thorns and are still holding air.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I hope I can add some value by adding my two cents!
    If you are lucky there are two circumstances where you don't actually have to fix anything:
    Air Burps-This typically happens when you are running tubeless tires with low pressure and run over an obstacle that momentarily stresses the bead enough to let a bit of air out of the tire. You can often tell this by the appearance of a bit of tire sealant on the sidewall without any indication of air that is continuing to leak. In this case, just use a tire pump to add air and off you go. In these cases it might be worth adding a bit more air to prevent a re-occurrence.
    Slow leaks-You have developed a small, "pinhole" leak. In this case you can stop periodically (hopefully not too frequently) to pump your tire back up and continue riding. In this case you can get by with a good tire pump.
    If the hole is too large for the tubeless tire repair kit or you simply don't want to deal with any of the options above, you can always install a tube for the ride back, which is why you should always carry a spare tube even if you are running tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Tire Plug kit works

I used this just a couple days ago. It was at home as the tire went flat on my drive home. I took the tire off to access the damage and to see if i could put a patch on the inside. Being the hole so close to the bead i ended up using a plug. Worked great. Took it out for short road ride and so far so good. tire has held pressure over night. Cleaned old sealant out and resealed too. This is on a 27.5 Plus tire
    If you need to clean the dried sealant see my post here for simple tip on how to.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...l#post13311184
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...-img_20170825_174048.jpg  

Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...-img_20170825_180745887.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just used this kit to plug a hole from a stick in my tyre that was too big for the Stans to seal. I used 2 rope plugs and then trimmed them, getting some use at last from the leatherman that I always carry.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...-stick-tyre.jpg  

Tire plugs for tubeless bicycle tires...-tubeless-repair.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It's all been said. Yes they work and are a great way to get moving again quickly. I always carry them. Just plug and forget them, they never seem to leak. I have some that have done hundreds of kms

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hey there,
    I'm pioneering a new tire insert that will work with both tubes and tubeless and that solves bottoming out on the rim as well as pinch and pin prick flats.
    You would all be of huge help if you could complete this super quick survey for me in order for me to conquer the war against flats and dinged rims.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/muzzworks

Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Trialsin cured my clydesdale ways.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...