Tightening up Mukluk cockpit...- Mtbr.com
    Tigard, Oregon

Tightening up Mukluk cockpit...

I have a19" Mukluk and even though I'm 6' I wish I would have gotten the smaller frame. I've gone from a 110mm stem to a 60, went to Surly Open bars and even switched the offset seat-post facing backward to see if that helped... Still too stretched out.

I was going to try and find a shorter stem and bars with more sweep to try and shorten it up even more... Any advice?

Thanks for any help!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

mtbr member
    Don't get another shorter stem personally I think something is wrong here. You've taken 55 mm (between the stem and flipping the post) out of the cockpit length. Take out another 10mm and you'll have a similar cockpit measurement to a small. If you really think it's that bad I'd suggest trying to find a medium frame however at 6' 34 inseam I think you'll find you don't have enough seatpost on a medium.

Have you ridden the bike like this yet? I think if you trying going up anything even remotely steep you'll be off the bike.

Do you have another (mountain) bike? If so I would try taking measurements from that bike and transferring them, give or take a little.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Don't get another shorter stem personally I think something is wrong here. You've taken 55 mm (between the stem and flipping the post) out of the cockpit length. Take out another 10mm and you'll have a similar cockpit measurement to a small. If you really think it's that bad I'd suggest trying to find a medium frame however at 6' 34 inseam I think you'll find you don't have enough seatpost on a medium.

Have you ridden the bike like this yet? I think if you trying going up anything even remotely steep you'll be off the bike.

Do you have another (mountain) bike? If so I would try taking measurements from that bike and transferring them, give or take a little.
    I agree, something may be wrong. I'm the same size (6'0"), and on a Mukluk 2 19". I have less than an inch left to the safe line left on the seat post. I have not spent a lot of time on this bike yet, but it's close to what it should be, stock. The only difference here is I ride a lot of road bike, and feel good in a more forward/longer cockpit position.

Ride it a few days first to see how you feel.

get down!
    Yeah, that sounds a bit crazy.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Tigard, Oregon
    I come from a background of motocross and desert racing on motorcycles so perhaps that's why I'm a bit uncomfortable leaned over and stretched out? I'll keep riding as it is and see how it goes... Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Turn the seatpost around and put the 110 stem back on it. It's your bike but you're not doing yourself any favors by riding it with the post backwards and 60mm stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clayman29 View Post
    I come from a background of motocross and desert racing on motorcycles so perhaps that's why I'm a bit uncomfortable leaned over and stretched out? I'll keep riding as it is and see how it goes... Thanks all!
    That's a better attitude! And note that I too ride motos, a KTM950 and DR650, but they don't run on "people power". A little lean is OK.

It's a good thing you didn't buy a tri-bike. You're dam near are in a going to sleep position, leaning forward on them.

Good luck.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Turn the seatpost around and put the 110 stem back on it. It's your bike but you're not doing yourself any favors by riding it with the post backwards and 60mm stem.
    The seat post was just a test to see if it changed the feel much, it didn't. It's already back to normal, and I like the shorter stem. Still seems odd but I'll figure it out...

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterry46 View Post
    That's a better attitude! And note that I too ride motos, a KTM950 and DR650, but they don't run on "people power". A little lean is OK.

It's a good thing you didn't buy a tri-bike. You're dam near are in a going to sleep position, leaning forward on them.

Good luck.
    Thanks, it's appreciated! I'm sure I'll get used to the lean factor, it's kind of like going from two to four stroke bikes, just takes some adapting!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by clayman29 View Post
    The seat post was just a test to see if it changed the feel much, it didn't. It's already back to normal, and I like the shorter stem. Still seems odd but I'll figure it out...
    A few thoughts. Prior to this, you didn't own, or ride MTB's? If yes, that would explain a lot, and help us help you.

Fitting 101. Get that seatpost turned back around so it's rearward biased. Raise the seat and pedal around with your heels on the pedals, keep raising till your knees lock out straight. This, when you use the ball of your foot as you should, will give you a slight bend to the knee, which is what you want. Later, if you want to drop it, go ahead, but leave it there for now.

With a friend, ride the bike around for a minute, get settled into the saddle as you would like, balls of your feet on the pedals. Stop where you can hold yourself up, and leave your feet/pedals/cranks flat, so, 3 and 9 oclock. Have your buddy drop a plumb bob off the front of your forward facing legs knee cap. What you are looking for, is for the string to bisect the pedals axle. Move the saddle for or aft in the clamps, and repeat the procedure till you get there.

Note, you may discover that you need a non layback seat post, (saddle all the ay forward,still needs to go more). All based on personal body dimensions.

Once that's good you are correctly positioned over the pedals to give good power, and keep your knees happy. Too far out from this position, and knee pain is pretty common if you ride for a while. This position is sacred, treat it as such.

With that set, then you play with stem length and rise to fit personal preferences. And as many have said, sitting bolt upright is not what you're looking for, some lean is normal, and helps position your body weight better to give proper handling on the trail.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com