Tight spinning crank on a newish Pugs, okay to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tight spinning crank on a newish Pugs, okay to ride?

I need to take my nearly 2 month old Pugs in for it's belated first checkup, but it is so dang fun that I keep putting it off(they'll have it for a week).

I have ridden it pretty extensively in dirt single track, mud, sand, and water during that time. After each ride, I hose it off and wipe it dry and lube the drivetrain & chain and hubs. Today I was going thru the drivetrain and my crank is super tight. I haven't had this issue before, but the crank will rotate backwards and forwards but if you let go of the pedals, it immediately stops. I can feel the resistance in the BB as a constant "braking force"(best I can describe) but there is no creaking or clunking or roughness. It almost feels like there is something inside it(or maybe got wrapped around it) and stuck where I can't see it. I lubed and spun, but to no avail.

I should take it in before I ride it, huh? I was hoping to get one more Saturday single track ride before I took it in. Any ideas what it might be before I haul it into the shop?

nvphatty
    is this the first you've noticed the tightness?? i'd suggest waiting until after the checkup regardless but it should not be so snug/tight. perhaps a spacer need removal or something.

local trails rider
    Is it the same with the chain off the chainrings?

It could be a stalk of grass stuck somewhere, or it could be something that will cause damage. I'd want to know which.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I bet the bearings on the bottom bracket are corroded/grease dry, maybe the seals are not that great and they let water/mud pass.

mtbr member
    Yes, with the chain off, it spins the same, tightly. And no, it did not do that before.

I tried looking and didn't see anything visually concerning. Nothing broken or loose, no grass sticking out or anything. I think I could remove the chain rings myself and once again see if I can see anything obvious, but BB territory is new for me and I wouldn't know what is normal and what isn't as far as a BB goes. So unless it is grass or something, I wouldn't know how to fix it anyways. I'll just take it in, I keep trying to getting just 1 more ride and here it is almost a whole month later from "just 1 more ride". I think this is my que that I rode that last ride already.

Thanks!

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did this dance several times throughout the Spring with my Necro. Either the cranks would bind as you described or the spinny cap would fall off and the cranks would go all loose. Lots of snow riding and pedal mashing. Eventually the shop guys got all the bolts adjusted to a stable condition, maybe it was something with getting spacers correct too.

(About the same time I upgraded to a Fatback Ti so now the Necro is out to pasture as an overbuilt urban cruiser and secret forest marauder. Knard fitment will determine who gets the holiday cheer.)

undercover brother
    I'd take it in before you ride it again. I just got my new pug about 2 weeks ago and was having issues with my headset coming loose (starnut was actually moving causing the looseness). I dropped it off during lunch break and will be picking it up after work (lucky that I have an awesome LBS.

If it's just that the BB needs adjusted or regreased, I would expect the bike back in decent time, maybe a day or two if they aren't busy. A week seems ridiculous, unless there is damage or special parts are needed.

Geordie biker
    sounds like the BB bearings are dry!

only 100 miles on it, my moonlander was like this.....fine, then one day took it out and it never felt right, quite spin on crank and it barely moved.

strip down and the bearings were bone dry, cue new hope BB cups and its been fine since.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'd take it in sooner rather then later, that being said, a week is a long time (maybe find a LBS with a shorter wait time).
    Long term: start collecting tools, routine maintenence is just that! Nothing better then sitting around with a cold one pulling parts off your bike......... well, maybe sex and riding.
    Get a Park tool crank arm puller, big ass Harley shop tool ( Crescent wrench), Phil grease (temp dependent), dental tool.
    Assuming it's a stock Howitzer BB, the bearing is a cartridge bearing. Use the parktool website for the initial procedure to get down to the bearing by removing the crank arms. With the dental tool (thinking scaler???) pull the cover off the bearing cartridge (takes a little bit and you damage the "seal" some) clean as best as you can, then squirt grease in there, probably alot.
    First time I pulled the cover off there was Brown stuff in there, don't think that was grease so not worried about breaking open a "sealed" bearing.
    At least you know your equipment better and are more self sufficient.
    No LBS within 300 miles so have to do it on my own.
    Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by BradA57; 09-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Like others said it sounds like the bearings. I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. I'd also start collecting tools to completely tear down your Pugs. It's not that hard. Taking good notes and pictures is a good way for a beginner to remember how to put it back together. Like Brad said adding grease to the bearings isn't that hard.

You'll develop a deeper connection with your Pugs and be self reliant if you have the ability to work on it yourself. You can also keep your Pugs tweaked to a higher level of performance than any LBS could

mtbr member
    You must become ONE with your fatbike!

Members who have read this thread: 0