Thudbuster LT or ST ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Thudbuster LT or ST ?

I have decided to get a Thudbuster to take some of the jarring to my back and rear with my hard tail FatBike

I weight about 200 lbs. I don't need a lot of bounce, just enough to absorb some shocks when I hit something on the trail.

Any reccomendation on weather to go with the Thudbuster LT or ST?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Get the LT. You can always get stiffer rubber thingies.

I have one, don't use it anymore, but bought a stiffer one (I think it came with two mediums), and it was great for taking the edge off. It started creaking though. I took it apart and regreased it, but never put it back on, as the snow came last fall, and didn't need it then. No idea if it still creaks.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

WNC Native
    Personally I'd go with the ST if I were buying another one. I've owned both and liked the ST way better. It still takes the shock out without any negative side effects. The LT felt like I was riding while sitting on a diving board and I had the stiffest elastomers on it.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Harmonius Wrench
    Neither.....

Thudbuster LT or ST ?-pc140002.jpg

Cirrus Cycles Body Float. Is not affected by temperature since it uses customizable coil springs and is tuneable to a very fine degree. Not to mention that it works in a vertical plane versus a more horizontal plane for the Cane Creek ThudBuster, which doesn't mess with your cockpit length while riding, which I find is a negative. I hardly notice the Body Float's movement.......until I ride a rigid post again. Then I miss the Body Float.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I use this. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got the LT and really like it. Personally I would go with the LT off road. As was said you can set it up for your weight and adjust the preload.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Neither.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC140002.jpg 
Views:	1181 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	1038540

Cirrus Cycles Body Float. Is not affected by temperature since it uses customizable coil springs and is tuneable to a very fine degree. Not to mention that it works in a vertical plane versus a more horizontal plane for the Cane Creek ThudBuster, which doesn't mess with your cockpit length while riding, which I find is a negative. I hardly notice the Body Float's movement.......until I ride a rigid post again. Then I miss the Body Float.
    Totally agree. I own the ST and rode the LT for 3 weeks and returned it. Even after trying ever combination of their elastomers and adjusting preload the LT has no control in rebound and always felt like I was riding on a bouncy tire. Plus the amount the LT moves your seat rearward on compression is horrible.

Friend told me about BodyFloat and its the best option by far. Doesn't mess with your bike fit, adjustable by just tightening a bolt, and much much more comfortable than a Thudbuster. My only complaint is the cost and I wish it had more travel. On really aggressive stuff my preferred "neutral" setting will bottom out and I have to adjust it on the trails. No biggie though.

Worth the money over a Thudbuster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I use this. Awesome.

I love mine! Just enough movement to be useful, but not too much to change the cockpit size....

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by LosPollos View Post
    Totally agree. I own the ST and rode the LT for 3 weeks and returned it. Even after trying ever combination of their elastomers and adjusting preload the LT has no control in rebound and always felt like I was riding on a bouncy tire. Plus the amount the LT moves your seat rearward on compression is horrible.

Friend told me about BodyFloat and its the best option by far. Doesn't mess with your bike fit, adjustable by just tightening a bolt, and much much more comfortable than a Thudbuster. My only complaint is the cost and I wish it had more travel. On really aggressive stuff my preferred "neutral" setting will bottom out and I have to adjust it on the trails. No biggie though.

Worth the money over a Thudbuster.
    I think that for riding on snow under 15mph or so, it is a brilliant option. There are places where I think that it doesn't work, but on a fat bike in most conditions where I am going to ride, it is a great component.

After Winter I will remove it and put it on my gravel bike where in that application it is perfect.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I agree, Bodyfloat is perfect for fatbike. Can't wait until they produce one with a dropper.

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    LT works fine for me on two bikes. No complaints, and I am 220. When Bodyfloat gets a bit more reasonably priced, I'm in for one of those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    BodyFloat was my first choice but doesn't work with my bike (30.9), thus I just ordered a thudbuster... worth a try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thudbuster was put on today, first ride with it tomorrow... I really would like to drop it down a tiny bit more but I can't seem to get it to drop to the 11 mark.
    I'm so fricking short :-(

mtbr member
    I love my thudbuster. I swap it between my bikes and will not go without it again. It really makes the ride better and I swear faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just a quick note for you guys that have a LT. I'm weighing in at a whopping 134 lbs and have adjusted to extra soft. I tried medium/soft, soft/soft, soft/extra soft and now down to ex soft/ex soft. Like it much better, but I ride light in the saddle and don't bottom out.
    Last edited by Bumpyride; 05-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Both the LT and ST can be adjusted by interchanging the rubbers and when I bought mine they came with a verity pack. I am 215 lbs. and have 2 STs (one on a standard street bike and one on my fatty). Both bikes are motorized so I prefer to have the controlled cushioning bounce they give me. One thing I advise is to be sure you have the added height they give. The ST is quite a bit higher then the LT. So consider the minimum rise both units give you. Or you my find yourself on your tiptoes. Bob

EDIT: I caution buying the extra cushioning rubbers from EBay unless they are indicated as true OEM parts. I bought some light and medium replacements and they were ALL exactly the same (Hard as steel) and unusable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4itfatty View Post
    Both the LT and ST can be adjusted by interchanging the rubbers and when I bought mine they came with a verity pack. I am 215 lbs. and have 2 STs (one on a standard street bike and one on my fatty). Both bikes are motorized so I prefer to have the controlled cushioning bounce they give me. One thing I advise is to be sure you have the added height they give. The ST is quite a bit higher then the LT. So consider the minimum rise both units give you. Or you my find yourself on your tiptoes. Bob

EDIT: I caution buying the extra cushioning rubbers from EBay unless they are indicated as true OEM parts. I bought some light and medium replacements and they were ALL exactly the same (Hard as steel) and unusable.
    Bought mine from Amazon. Definitely OEM
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I have liked Thudbuster ST a lot. I had the same in my ex-fatbike and bought the same to current one too. Work just I like, smoothens the ride being not bumpy or bouncy. I think LT would cause too much movement under normal pedaling and the offset is noticeable long (maybe too long) when bottoming out. But I've never test one, so just guessing...
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have 4 USE suspension seatpost of various generations. The latest generation, the Vybe is fantastic. I still have my original one from 1992 as well.

MBR Vybe Review | Ultimate USE

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2823
Size:  12.4 KB
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    One of my main complaints (aside from trolls) is when people offer opinions with no basis other than what they think. The 2nd best answer you can hear is, "I don't know". Not trying to pick on anyone, we just need to know true experiences.

I have 2 LT Thudbusters. They're in no way bouncy unless you initiate the bounce yourself. Smooth out your pedal strokes, get your seat to the proper height, learn when to un-weight your posterior and you will not have a bounce problem.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The first ST I bought was on Amozon from a bike shop that (I guess) wanted to dump them and got a new one for less then $100. The second one I bought from Craigs List used for $40. Bob

mtbr member
    That body float looks real nice, but ouch that price! Im thinking that may be my ticket for when i hit the wall. I used the Thud Buster Lt and didn't like the feeling of its rearward arc.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/