For those of you who went from Large Marge to a wider rim...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

For those of you who went from Large Marge to a wider rim...

Would you say that it was worth it? If so, what rim did you upgrade to and what advantages did you notice after the upgrade?

I'm thinking about switching to a single wall setup and maybe going tubeless because I'm having problems with water getting in the wheel and tire and staying there until I fully deflate and squeeze it out. With the large marge double wall construction, water enters through the spoke holes. I've been going on creek and river rides lately.

Since I'm changing to a single wall setup, I thought I might as well consider going wider. I have no problem going 1x9 to get around chain clearance issues (this is for a stock pugsey).
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 12-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    80mm>65mm>50mm>46mm on a unicycle. Each step up in size was noticeable in the tire getting more stable and being able to ride lower pressures reducing the bounce.

I don't think I am ever going back while using a Larry. Some day I will probably be riding 100mm and a BFL or BFN if one ever gets made.

No, that's not phonetic
    It's worth it if you need the flotation and it's not worth it if you don't. If you mainly ride dirt and just like big bouncy tires, then a 100mm singlewall would be dumb. Something narrower will hold up better. If you ride punchy snow trails or fluffy sand, then it is a great upgrade.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have folks been having durability issues with the wider single walled rims? I'm trying to narrow my selection down to Surly (Marge Lite, Darryl, Clown Shoe). I suppose the Marge lite and the Clown Shoe haven't been out long enough for a good answer to that question. What about the Darryl?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Have folks been having durability issues with the wider single walled rims? I'm trying to narrow my selection down to Surly (Marge Lite, Darryl, Clown Shoe). I suppose the Marge lite and the Clown Shoe haven't been out long enough for a good answer to that question. What about the Darryl?
    You could throw the Uma 90's on that list if you are thinking tubeless. Oh wait you have a Pugs don't you? If you do disregard that unless you don't mind drilling spoke holes. Not touching the durability question.

aka bOb
    Wait a minute are you starting to like your Fat bike and you want to do some upgrades!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ Well, it certainly kick ass for riding on sand and through creeks and rivers. I'm hoping my Nate will be here this Thursday for the snow...

Anyway, drilling spoke holes is too much trouble, so I'd rather stick to surly hoops for the 17.5mm offset. Why no elaboration on durability?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Why no elaboration on durability?
    Check it out

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/rol...ly-751061.html