Thinking of moving up to the next size Mukluk- Mtbr.com
    get down!

Thinking of moving up to the next size Mukluk

Hola dudes, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've been working hard all summer on a parasail boat. Got a little bit of ride time on the beaches on my 2011 Mukluk. It's a size large with a 120mm stem and a whole lot of seatpost sticking out.

I'm thinking of going to an XL with a 100mm stem which will give me close to the same reach that I have now except I won't be out over the front axle as much.

I'm a lanky 6'2" and have yet to get the Mukluk onto a trail so I'm a bit worried about the wheelbase differences of the XL vs. the L though I'm sure I'd adapt to either.

Has anyone made the switch? Or have any advice.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Hola dudes, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've been working hard all summer on a parasail boat. Got a little bit of ride time on the beaches on my 2011 Mukluk. It's a size large with a 120mm stem and a whole lot of seatpost sticking out.

I'm thinking of going to an XL with a 100mm stem which will give me close to the same reach that I have now except I won't be out over the front axle as much.

I'm a lanky 6'2" and have yet to get the Mukluk onto a trail so I'm a bit worried about the wheelbase differences of the XL vs. the L though I'm sure I'd adapt to either.

Has anyone made the switch? Or have any advice.
    ....crickets....

Maybe post a picture of your bike as it currently sits, fit to you. Or better yet, with you on it. Then maybe someone can tell you if it looks odd for some reason.

I probably won't have any advice (other than that I'm NON-lanky, slightly LESS than 6'-2", and my Large fits me perfect), but I am checking out your thread because I'm having difficulty deciding between frame sizes for my 'tweener wife. Kind of curious if people are happier with the smaller or larger size when they could fit either. A few other threads discuss this, but there is no clear concensus yet, as far as I can tell. Maybe they lean toward preferring the smaller?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd vote for smaller if someone is between sizes.. These are big bikes to start with and there's no need to horse around extra bike.

mtbr member

Similar

I'm kind of along the same line. I'm looking to get Mukluk. At 6'1" I have always run XL frames on regular non-fat 29ers. Looking at the sizing chart on the Mukluk it puts me right in the middle range for a large Mukluk. I run a 100 mm stem and 31-1/2 to top of seat to center of crank. I did a re- tul bike fit which kept me at the same numbers and just moved bar and seat positions. It makes me wonder if the Mukluk frames are slightly larger than my past Gary Fisher or Specialized Epic frames. I am interested to here what others have to say about your Mukluk sizing question!
    bike = freedom!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 6'2" and i bought the XL Mukluk frame. I run it with a 100mm stem and Ragley Carniege bar.
    I'm not sure I have the correct size. The problem is the standover height. When riding trails in difficult sections the top tube is too close to my private parts.
    I have not tried a Large Mukluk but I think it would have been a better match for me.

get down!
    ^Nalman can you post a picture?

Here is a picture of my setup. I took the picture today after a quick 15 mile ride on the beach and down Ocean BLVD. I would probably lower the stem a bit for trail riding and maybe bump the seatpost up a bit, though I'm not sure how much would actually be in the frame after I did that.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm in the same situation--I'm a skinny 6'2". When trying the Mukluk out tonight, on dry gradd/rocks/pavement, I had the seatpost maxed on the large and the reach was not an issue. However, I'm a little worried about horsing the XL bike around in the winter. In general I like the reach, just not sure on a snow bike that I want to use for trails too...