mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Thinking about a 2nd wheelset for studded tires, is this a reasonable plan?

I've been out of the fatbiking loop for a couple years. I have a 2013 907 with bud/lou on clownshoes. Last winter I didn't get out much partially because my local trails were pretty icy, and I don't have studded tires (also partially because I'm very adept at finding excuses not to ride, and icy trails seems like a perfectly valid one).

Someone local to me is selling two Lou tires. Are these relatively easy to add studs to? Any suggestions to go about doing this?

I'm trying to cost out a 2nd wheel set with studded tires, rather than switching tires (tubeless with the fattystrippers, which I'm apprehenisve about trying to not ruin switching tires). And these used and inexpensive Lou's came up so I thought I'd figure out if they are an option to start this process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been happy with my B&L on CS's with 150 GST-1000 Grip Studs divvied up between the two tires.
    I've run this wheelset for two winters as a second wheel set for when winters get icy.
    I've done a fair amount of road and bare pavement/dirt riding without losing any studs.

This place needs an enema
    Lou is not a great tire to stud. It is possible to do, but the knob shape just isn't ideal.

I have deep/soft snow wheels and then ice wheels with studded tires, that I swap as the need arises. No need to fiddle with tubeless stuff other than on initial setup. I keep rotors on both wheelsets and then just swap the cassette to keep the drivetrain meshing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just found out the used tires are a little more than I would want to spend for used tires. but I appreciate the comments.

mtbr member
    I've got a 177mm rear and 150mm front salsa/Holy Daryll wheelset Id sell ya for cheap. They are barely used.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextall View Post
    I've been out of the fatbiking loop for a couple years. I have a 2013 907 with bud/lou on clownshoes. Last winter I didn't get out much partially because my local trails were pretty icy, and I don't have studded tires (also partially because I'm very adept at finding excuses not to ride, and icy trails seems like a perfectly valid one).

Someone local to me is selling two Lou tires. Are these relatively easy to add studs to? Any suggestions to go about doing this?

I'm trying to cost out a 2nd wheel set with studded tires, rather than switching tires (tubeless with the fattystrippers, which I'm apprehenisve about trying to not ruin switching tires). And these used and inexpensive Lou's came up so I thought I'd figure out if they are an option to start this process.
    I installed gripstuds into a Lou three winters ago and they are still working fine. I didnít have any pull out and didnít find it hard to install them. I prefer to have big tires that are studded and just ride, ready for any trail condition than have two sets of wheels.