Things don't have to be so black and white, there are other colors too.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Things don't have to be so black and white, there are other colors too.

Picked up this bike from a guy who bought the wrong size and unloaded it dirt cheap. Came with 2 sets of wheels too. I'm swapping out a bunch of parts on it. Going to run 2x9 Sram X9 shifters/derailleurs and will put some Guide RSC brakes on it. I swapped the cassette to a Sram pg-980.
    I ordered a set of green Floaters for one wheelset and need to figure out something for the other wheelset. I had some new Race Face Turbine stuff I was going to use for another build, but I just threw them on this for now. I need to swap out the pedals, and throw on some ESI extra chunky grips.
    I was planning on building up an On One Fatty, but this seems to do the trick for now. I like the frame a lot. It is pretty big. I'm 6' feet tall with a 32 inseam and I just barely have top tube clearance. A medium might have been better. I will ride it this winter and keep my eyes open for new bikes that I may like more, and swap the parts over to that. I am impressed with the frame though, looks sharp in person and the welds look strong and clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    I love it ... or hate it.
    I'm not sure, but nice work on your part.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

since 4/10/2009
    those colored floater tires come in pretty awful options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    those colored floater tires come in pretty awful options.
    Awfully good, right?

Ever since the late 80's I have always wanted a dayglo mountain bike. I've just never been able to have one. All of my bikes have been black or gray. Not anymore!
    It's so bright I hope it scares off any wildlife that might want to attack me in the deep woods of Maine.

mtbr member
    Just do what moves ya and forget what others diss. Not my cup of tea to have your ride, but then again I am sure some crap I do would make you shake your head... like my style of clothes, my daily driver, music tastes etc

I march to the beat of a different Tuba Player... LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The bottle cage matches nothing. I find that to be a distraction. My eyes are drawn right to it. Inexcusable. -2 stars for clashing.

I can see the playgrounds clearing as we speak. "Come on, Jimmy, time to leave!"

I think you did a great job shaking it up. Guess if we ever meet I'll know who you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Picked up this bike from a guy who bought the wrong size and unloaded it dirt cheap...

I ordered a set of green Floaters for one wheelset and need to figure out something for the other wheelset....
    You will be known as the man who can't lose his bike in a whiteout.

Edit: should have added I like it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like it! :-)
    Nice job with the colored tyres and the rim strips. Bottle cage matches the tires and I like them together. Bright is fun!

mtbr member
    it's all about personal tast. I think it tastes good!

nvphatty
    simply marvelous!! black isn't a color anyway so yer good to goooooooooooooo!!

aka bOb
    I like it.....errrr now

mtbr member
    Alright, glad to see most folks here are happy to see a little brightness on some fatness. Thanks for the comments.

I look forward to riding it once it's all assembled. Snow season is approaching fast, there is a huge snow mobile trail network (right down the street from my house) that fat bikes have access to in the Bethel, ME area. Hopefully some of the xc ski centers will get on board too.

since 4/10/2009
    I just can't get on with colored tires (or colored grips or colored saddles). These parts should be black or mostly black.

don't get me wrong. I like loud colors. my fatty build is a great indicator of that. But colored rubber? no thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I love it!!
    Bianchi had single speed that went by "B.O.S.S" (Bright Orange Single Speed) in the late nineties that was same color scheme-- with Ritchey green skinwall tires. it was worth drooling over. It needs Green Oury grips!!

mtbr member

Things don't have to be so black and white, there are other colors too.

Oompah
    Loompah
    Doompahdeedoo...

mtbr member
    Flashback - I've just remembered I used to have an orange bike (Surly Instigator) with green tyres (Michelins).

Thankfully I cannot find a photo. Mainly because the Michelins tyres had as much grip as a grease block on ice, so they got taken off as soon as I realised that the gravitational force had not increased and it was actually the tyres fault that the bike kept lying down for a rest.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

banned
    Sep 2008
    nice TR title

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The looks only a mother could love!!

P.S. I think something is wrong with your shifter setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A couple of tattoos, goatee, and some piercings would make that bike completely invisible in today's society.

Every time I see that color of green, I'm reminded of those horrid marshmallow peanut treats I hated ever so much as a kid.

Cheers,
    appalachian kamper

Elitest thrill junkie
    FTW, but but you must be an idiot like 99% of us that have bought fat bikes!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Flashback - I've just remembered I used to have an orange bike (Surly Instigator) with green tyres (Michelins).

Thankfully I cannot find a photo. Mainly because the Michelins tyres had as much grip as a grease block on ice, so they got taken off as soon as I realised that the gravitational force had not increased and it was actually the tyres fault that the bike kept lying down for a rest.
    Not to divert a cool thread, but I had some of those green sidewall Michelins and they worked OK when it was 100% bone dry. The second there as any moisture in the air or on trails they became racing slicks of doom. I really liked the colors (and want some on-one colored floaters) but all the colored rubber tires in my past have let me down.

I like colored grips and saddles too - even if the grips don't stay pretty very long.

mtbr member
    Well I finished building it up. Had the shop install some XT disc brakes. Took it out for it's maiden voyage. It was pretty fun! This is what I ended up with for now:

Motobecane FB4 Orange:

Shimano XT brakes 180 front/160 rear
    Race Face 35mm stem handlebar
    Ergon GS1 grips
    Spur Cycle bell- to scare Bears,mountain lions,moose, noobs
    Garmin 500 mount
    Light
    Race Face Seatpost
    Specialized Avatar Gel saddle. My favorite.
    White quick realease clamp, white headset spacers
    Niner Yawyd stem cap with Angry Orchard bottle cap
    Neon Green water bottle cage
    AEST magnesium platform pedals
    Rear flashing light so I don't get run over on the snowmobile trails
    On One Floaters- Green
    Specialized 2.5 - 3.0 tubes
    100mm front rim
    80mm rear rim

I decided to keep the current drivetrain. It shifted great and rode smoothly. I dropped it to a 2x9 with Race Face bash. I will eventually upgrade it to 1x10 with One Up 42 cog. I will also likely build a new wheelset up.