Thanksgiving trip out West!- Mtbr.com
    hispanic mechanic

Thanksgiving trip out West!

My wife and I drove out from San Antonio to go to Thanksgiving in Riggins, Idaho. I had to take the Pugsley, since it is my newest bike, and there was an outside chance I'd get to ride in the snow. Well, the snow riding didn't materialize, but we did get to ride in s couple of cool places.
    We were supposed to start the riding portion of our trip in Gallup, but due to a later start (work...) we had to scrap that particular ride in order to get to Boise on time.
    Luckily, Boise has some really good riding. We were staying in Eagle, Id., home of the Idaho Velopark, which was a fun ride, albeit completely overwhelmed by the power of the fat bike.
    On Wednesday, we drove up to Riggins for Thanksgiving. Beautiful place right on the Salmon River, and formica on the Idaho forum here pointed me towards the Rapid River Trail. Spectacular scenery, and a few miles up, the fatness came in handy on some really loose talus.
    On our way home, we decided that it wouldn't be right to have passed through Moab twice without even a ride. We went to the Sandy Road area, and I rode Slickrock trail. My wife wasn't feeling up to it (we were both getting over a cold, and her equilibrium was off) so she went off to poke around. The Endos worked great on slickrock! great time, unfortunately I didn't get any shots out there.
    When I was done, I decided to ride out in the direction that she went, and was told by a Jeeper that she was out on a Jeep trail called Fins and Things. We found each other and rode for about another hour, and did remember to get some shots. The Pugsley ruled the loose sand!
    All in all, a great trip. Wish we had been able to take more time to ride.
    Pics:
    1) Idaho Velopark
    2) Start of the Rapid River Trail
    3) More of the RRT
    4) My face after Slickrock Trail
    5) Fins and Things
    6) A good day in Moab

Los
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0014.jpg  

Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0020.jpg  

Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0023.jpg  

Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0042.jpg  

Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0047.jpg  

Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0052.jpg  

Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Self-defeatist
    Awesome pics, but I need to know...did you huck it?

The second pic's my favourite, BTW.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi all ! Very nice....looks like a great time .

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    Awesome pics, but I need to know...did you huck it?

The second pic's my favourite, BTW.
    Noooooo. Nope. Not a chance.
    I already donated a kidney to the sport of downhilling (along with a broken sternum, 3 ribs, lacerated liver and spleen,) and I think my wife would kill me if I tried and drops like that. Well built trails, though, and if I were younger and still had my kidney mulligan, I would love to have run those dh trails!
    That second pic was after a seriously steep 1/4 mile climb, and it wasn't only the pitch that took my breath...

@ibis26- Thanks! we had a ball!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Los,

Couple quick questions:

1. what kind of bars and thumb shifters you running?

2. how'd the pugs do in moab on the slickrock? I was up there a month or so ago and kicking myself that I didn't bring mine.

3. what kind of psi were you running?

Thanks!

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by AZkick-n40
    Los,

Couple quick questions:

1. what kind of bars and thumb shifters you running?

2. how'd the pugs do in moab on the slickrock? I was up there a month or so ago and kicking myself that I didn't bring mine.

3. what kind of psi were you running?

Thanks!
    1) they're Titec H-bars with Paul Thumbies and Shimano bar-end shifters- I like them a lot. I have the Jones Ti H-bar on my Wily, but it has a longer top tube... and the Jones bars are crazy expensive now!

2) The fatness was great on slickrock. Stuck like glue, and floated right through the deep sand on both Slickrock and Fins 'n' Things.

3) I used about 10 psi that day, but probably would air down to like 8 if I could do it again. I wasn't sure if lower psi would cause squirminess on the off camber rock, but in retrospect I think it would have been fine.

Next time we go, I'm definitely bringing the Pugs again!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Lighten up.
    Second pic is my favorite, too...love the purple light of heaven shining down on your Fat Purpleness.

Do you have a close up shot of your bars/shifters, etc? I'd love to take a look—I have the same parts set aside for my Pugs (Paul's, Shimano bar end shifters, Titec H-Bar—like you, I've got one Jones, the Loop, and it's all I can afford right now).

hispanic mechanic
    @mangoman, I'll take a shot of the bar set up tomorrow. I've been really pleased with both the bar and shifters, so if there's any set up info you need, I would be more than happy to share!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

hispanic mechanic
    duplicate
    Last edited by sslos; 12-05-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

hispanic mechanic
    duplicate
    Last edited by sslos; 12-05-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Lighten up.
    Thanks, Los.

mtbr member
    Great stuff! I had the pleasure of taking a PUG for a short spin in the snow today...... I understand more now than ever how great they are!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not very knowledgeable about fat bikes so this question is probably obvious to a lot of you.... How the hell do you pedal that??
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd245246
    I'm not very knowledgeable about fat bikes so this question is probably obvious to a lot of you.... How the hell do you pedal that??
    Generally, I put one foot on each pedal, push down on the forward part of the rotation, and pull slightly on the back!
    Seriously though, fat bikes aren't nearly as hard to pedal as you might think. If you have the chance, give one a try. Sure, the wheels take a fair amount more energy to get started, but it's not that hard.

@funrover- Are you on ExPo with the same handle? I thought an ExPo guy would love the Pugs!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    the entire british nation bar about 10 folk ask ajd245246`s question..,you answerd it pretty well! , but it dose get tiring people asking,looked a good trip you did,thanks for sharing..
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Generally, I put one foot on each pedal, push down on the forward part of the rotation, and pull slightly on the back!
    Seriously though, fat bikes aren't nearly as hard to pedal as you might think. If you have the chance, give one a try. Sure, the wheels take a fair amount more energy to get started, but it's not that hard.

@funrover- Are you on ExPo with the same handle? I thought an ExPo guy would love the Pugs!

Los
    I must admit they look very fun to ride around, especially in the pictures posted above, deffinitely a fun buddy ride.
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd245246
    I must admit they look very fun to ride around, especially in the pictures posted above, deffinitely a fun buddy ride.
    Yeah, not the right choice for going fast in most conditions, but a blast to ride. The ability to go places most bikes can't is great!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    Second pic is my favorite, too...love the purple light of heaven shining down on your Fat Purpleness.

Do you have a close up shot of your bars/shifters, etc? I'd love to take a lookóI have the same parts set aside for my Pugs (Paul's, Shimano bar end shifters, Titec H-Barólike you, I've got one Jones, the Loop, and it's all I can afford right now).
    Here's a bar shot. Titec H-Bar, Paul's Thumbies, Dura-ace 8-speed rear bar end shifter, Dura-ace front downtube shifter (dunno what happened to the bar end one,) Avid FR-4 brake levers.
    Hope this helps!

Los
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thanksgiving trip out West!-imag0076.jpg  

Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Lighten up.
    Perfect. That helps a bunch. Thanks!

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    Perfect. That helps a bunch. Thanks!
    Any time. I just wish I would have taken more time to center the bar in the pic. You can't tell with the angle, but all the cables cross on the center line. Since I took the time to cut the housing exactly the same length, you'd think I'd take more time with the photo

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    So this is where you've been hiding.... first you go spinny on me, now you've got shifty bits.... next thing you know you're going to go corporate and buy a Merc and have your tat's laserd off!

Miss you dood, come up for the New Years ride if you can... Say hey to Fern for me

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    So this is where you've been hiding.... first you go spinny on me, now you've got shifty bits.... next thing you know you're going to go corporate and buy a Merc and have your tat's laserd off!

Miss you dood, come up for the New Years ride if you can... Say hey to Fern for me
    Well, the tatts aren't coming off anytime soon, but I do own a Mercedes... Granted, it's a 1983 300D that's sitting in San Diego with a bad transmission, but my name's on the title!
    Love to join the ride. Flat Rock?

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Well, the tatts aren't coming off anytime soon, but I do own a Mercedes... Granted, it's a 1983 300D that's sitting in San Diego with a bad transmission, but my name's on the title!
    Love to join the ride. Flat Rock?

Los
    Dood, get that tranny working... is it a wagon or sedan? Love me some bio-deez merc wagon!

I think the "mojo" ride is @ Madrone up this way, but now that I think about it Jimmy will have the Ranch open.... hmmm decisions. I'm not nearly in shape enough fix FRR, guess I better get a spinny option together soon

Members who have read this thread: 0