Terrene Johnny 5- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Terrene Johnny 5

Terrene has a new 5Ē studded tire. <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fter renetires%2Fposts%2F1043610675803521&width=500" width="500" height="707" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Not sure how to get the link to work, but they have some info on their Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    legit 5 inch tire with stud pockets.... going to need a new bike with a little more clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Very excited for these, should work great on my Big Fat Dummy.

Anchorage, AK
    " Aggressive, 320 studs, a true 125mm (5") width, and of course, tubeless and folding." "~1700g"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-t4.jpg  

Terrene Johnny 5-t3.jpg  

Terrene Johnny 5-t5.jpg  

Terrene Johnny 5-t2.jpg  

Terrene Johnny 5-t1.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This looks close to the tire many of us have wanted for several winters - what the Wrathchild should have been, a studded tubeless successor to Bud/Lou. I'd still like a studded 2XL-size tire, but at 4.9 inches this looks close to that size without the weight penalty of VEE's thick casing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    These look like a great match for the new ICT. I've been consistently impressed by Terrene's quality.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    This looks close to the tire many of us have wanted for several winters - what the Wrathchild should have been, a studded tubeless successor to Bud/Lou. I'd still like a studded 2XL-size tire, but at 4.9 inches this looks close to that size without the weight penalty of VEE's thick casing.
    My thoughts exactly. The Wrathchilds perform exceptionally well. But everytime I stare at my bike I wonder "why aren't they a nice big full size tire like Bud & Lou?". The new Johnny 5 looks very tempting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    These look like a great match for the new ICT. I've been consistently impressed by Terrene's quality.
    Itíll fit on the current ICT as well, which already fits the 2XL tire. The new ICT is interesting though, even more clearance than the old one with ďplenty of room for a 5.1 inch tireĒ despite shorter stays. Hmmmmm, wonder if Surly has something up their sleeves!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Does anyone know how tall/deep the lugs are? Is the rubber the same as the other Terrene fat bike tires?

Anchorage, AK
    Does Vee make Terrene tires? Also, how is the rolling resistance on other Terrene tires?
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I like the looks of the tread pattern and that it comes with stud pockets. Iíd love to see a side by side photo of this tire and a 2XL both mounted on identical 100mm wheels at the same pressure. The 2XLs are too heavy and too stiff but are the biggest things available and are what I run in the winter. If these are the same or bigger Iíd probably buy them but because they say 5Ē and arenít labeled as 5Ē+ Iím guessing they are smaller than the 2XL?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Johnny 5 Is Alive!

Sorry Couldnít Help Myself

mtbr member

Terrene Johnny 5

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    I like the looks of the tread pattern and that it comes with stud pockets. Iíd love to see a side by side photo of this tire and a 2XL both mounted on identical 100mm wheels at the same pressure. The 2XLs are too heavy and too stiff but are the biggest things available and are what I run in the winter. If these are the same or bigger Iíd probably buy them but because they say 5Ē and arenít labeled as 5Ē+ Iím guessing they are smaller than the 2XL?
    They say a true 5Ē on instagram. Also says 26x5.0 on the side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Does Vee make Terrene tires? Also, how is the rolling resistance on other Terrene tires?
    WTB makes the Terrene tire line.

I dove in with the CakeEater, and had lackluster results. I will let someone else take the hit on the Johnny 5, and if it gets a good review, maybe I will try them myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    No. It's a startup company owned by 2 guys not associated with WTB.

A friend of mine used the cake eaters this past winter. Can't say I was impressed because his tires kept washing out all the time.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post

A friend of mine used the cake eaters this past winter. Can't say I was impressed because his tires kept washing out all the time.
    I can't imagine two guys in a garage making their own tire molds and compounds. There is some contract tire manufacturer doing the actual tire making and it's not the two guys who started the company.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After listening to their last podcast, I sent a note to Fat-Bike.com's "Fatcamp" guys asking if they plan to test/review and Johnny 5. "Gomez" (the owner of the site?) replied that a test of the Johnny 5 by Ken Blakey-Shell is already "...in the works." I imagine that we may not hear/see the review for at least a couple of months (would be nice to find out how it performs in the snow), but Ken is a pretty smart and detail-oriented guy, so I'm sure we'll be getting a lot of new and interesting information about the tire. I asked that they try to include a comparison to the Vee Shoeshoe 2XL in the review, which he's already reported on. We can only hope!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I completely understand not wanting to be the first early adopter of a pricey new product. But I'm not sure how the Cake Eater is relevant to the discussion. Low profile vs. big knobby. I've had multiple tires with different tread patterns from various companies. Vastly different experiences. A Knard is not a Bud; a Dillinger is not a Wrathchild; and a Mammoth sure ain't a Minion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'd love to early adopt them, as one of the folks perpetually whining about the need for such a tire. It would be nice to get hands on them sooner than later, as cold as July has been in thinking October might be a snowy one.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post
    I completely understand not wanting to be the first early adopter of a pricey new product. But I'm not sure how the Cake Eater is relevant to the discussion.
    why is it relevant? Because i jumped on the tires when they first came out. the bead retention was sh!t. anything under 13psi would constantly burp from the sidewalls. tried on 3 different sets of rims. installed hodags, fbf, fbr, & gnarwhals on same rims, tires good to less than 2 psi. after multiple attempts, lackluster response from the company. emailed the president, he didn't care either. after getting frustrated, i sent the tires packing. i am done with the company, UNLESS someone else tries a new product and raves about it. then maybe, i will plunk down my $. /rant

fyi: local terrene rep told me WTB makes the tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Terrene Wazias have been great. Mounted and dismounted a few times, no issues with tubeless, never washing out (with proper pressure). I'd gladly try other Terrene tires...but these Wazias just won't die. If had a bike that could clear these Johnny 5s, I'd have ordered them already.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Can they be ordered yet? These are going to be great! The studded version will be perfect for riding on lakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    why is it relevant? Because i jumped on the tires when they first came out. the bead retention was sh!t. anything under 13psi would constantly burp from the sidewalls. tried on 3 different sets of rims. installed hodags, fbf, fbr, & gnarwhals on same rims, tires good to less than 2 psi. after multiple attempts, lackluster response from the company. emailed the president, he didn't care either. after getting frustrated, i sent the tires packing. i am done with the company, UNLESS someone else tries a new product and raves about it. then maybe, i will plunk down my $. /rant

Well fair enough! I had wrongly assumed your issue was as per the other poster: tires washing out or similar tread/performance related issues. Bead retention and customer service are a whole other kettle of fish.

mtbr member

I would be interested in hearing more about other Cake Eaters' bead retention (or Terrene tyres' bead retention in general) as my 4.6" Wazias (light) were tightest fit ever (on mulefut rims). I've dismounted them twice and it has been a real chore. Maybe you had a faulty pair?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Great news, and I heard the rumors for a while, so happy to see these.

With another 5''+ on the market, that could inspire other tire makers to join in.
    (The Chao Yang 5.5'' obviously never showed up for sale despite being shown at Taipei and Interbike in 2016).

Will be good to see the true volume (ie. bead-bead width)

Hopefully they use a thin and pliable casing. Listed weight is 1700g, but those block style knobs probably weigh quite a bit, which could indicate a light casing. (I know it says Light on the tire).
    I would like to see a casing like the Schwalbe Liteskin or Surly Light, or preferably even thinner, like the Juggernaut Pro or my proto 2XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Any places taking pre orders?

mtbr member
    I heard from a local dealer that they are coming in October... no preorder was offered from them though... I was quoted $140 without studs, $260 with which is probably the MSRP.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Great news, and I heard the rumors for a while, so happy to see these.

With another 5''+ on the market, that could inspire other tire makers to join in.
    (The Chao Yang 5.5'' obviously never showed up for sale despite being shown at Taipei and Interbike in 2016).

Will be good to see the true volume (ie. bead-bead width)

Hopefully they use a thin and pliable casing. Listed weight is 1700g, but those block style knobs probably weigh quite a bit, which could indicate a light casing. (I know it says Light on the tire).
    I would like to see a casing like the Schwalbe Liteskin or Surly Light, or preferably even thinner, like the Juggernaut Pro or my proto 2XL.
    If only Vee would get their heads out of their asses and realize that we aren't taking our fatbikes to RedBull Rampage any time soon and prefer a lighter excessively supple tire for snow flotation that cannot be duplicated with a 28 ply tire. Yup, I'm not even remotely keen on Vee products these days.

Hopefully the J5's will fill the need for the massively supple tires for the string bean riders cause not many of us are 400#'s or more! XD
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Even those of us husky riders don't need crazy sidewall for a true winter tire. If these a bud Lou size/supple with stud pockets they will be 95% perfect for me. If they are bud/Lou supple and vee 2xl size with stud pockets.... exactly what I want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I need a side by side comparison photo of this tire next to a 2XL before Iíd commit to ordering anything. It looks promising and I hope it is lighter and more supple than the 2XL but Iím unwilling to give up any width as I need as much float as possible.

Rippin da fAt
    Frankly, a measurement of width and height is something I can relate to. Height being the edge of the rim.bead to the highest point of the crown of the tire.
    Width should be perfectly clear. Both width measurements taken while mounted on an 80 and then a 100mm rim at real world pressures, eg 6 psi, 4 psi etc.
    Then we get to sidewall heft (Reference, Vee Flubber) suppleness. A 120 tpi and a 150 tpi offering would be awesome. Where I ride snow, the ground under the snow is feet below the surface, so what is there to puncture a tire?

The measurement of a 5" tire at 20 or 30 psi is absurd.
    Doctor recommended...

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The measurement of a 5" tire at 20 or 30 psi is absurd.
    No it's not. I have pumped my tires to that pressure every single winter at least a few times and every time I have ridden the Iditarod I have also gotten to those pressures at least a few times. Trails inevitably get compacted and/or icy and in those conditions hard tires roll better. That's just physics, nothing absurd about it. I need to know what a tire's size is when fully inflated, because I will inevitably fully inflate it.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iíd like to see the two tires side by side both inflated to 10psi as thatís as high as Iíve ever really run and thatís generally just for a long pavement section. But, Iím not particular what pressure theyíd compare them at as long as they are both the same. The Johnny 5 looks to offer many great attributes that Iíd love to have. I donít like that I canít run studs in my PSC 2XLís.

Rippin da fAt
    No it's not. I have pumped my tires to that pressure every single winter at least a few times and every time I have ridden the Iditarod I have also gotten to those pressures at least a few times. Trails inevitably get compacted and/or icy and in those conditions hard tires roll better. That's just physics, nothing absurd about it. I need to know what a tire's size is when fully inflated, because I will inevitably fully inflate it.
    Tungsten tires...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    For me it is Bud/Lou on 90mm.
    I was chatting with a rep of the distributor in Quebec and she was saying Bud/Lou is old generation. Well they work.
    In my opinion their tires are too light.
    They sell 3 season tires with a patch.
    Putting studs on a tire does not make it a snow tire.
    We simply screw studs in our winter tires designed for snow and we feel secure at minus 40 that we will not hit a tree riding solo.
    First a winter tire that floats and climbs and avoids wash out then ice capabilities added. A light tire is not a winter tire it is that simple where i live. I want to ride daily not just when the conditions are nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Bud/Lou are dandy for snow riding. Note, snow as opposed to a skating rink. Their draw back is the lack of a tubeless bead.
    Tire weight is not the only factor in a "winter" tire. For those who have never seen a snowmobile track, google can find images of them. They have lugs designed to propel and have sufficient surface area for the proper flotation of the machine and load.

While a fatbike is fairly light the rider weight comes into play. With a stiff wall tire, less efficient floatation will be available. Are light/thin wall tires for everyone? Not likely. Some of us are very light, some moderate and some are heavy, not to mention riding style. What makes a tire "winter viable" for one does nothing for the next person. What is needed is choices for us to work with, now there is genuine simplicity.

My winter fat snow rides occur at 10,000'+ elevation where there is well preserved snow sans ice capades. Thus, flotation and traction are required with tires soft and supple to gain the floatation necessary to go forward. At 165 #'s, I think choice is required.

On topic, I think the Terrene looks interesting, indeed. There are stud pockets for the folks that live and ride where ice is prevalent. This gives us one choice.
    The ultimate question is will there be a super supple version available to the beanpole population? A heavy duty version for the folks that need a more durable tire in the region they live and ride? Perhaps the bloke behind Terrene can pop in and say a word...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    As much as I like the idea of a supple, thin, single-ply casing, I just don't think it'll work for my application. I ride through enough deep, fresh snow, but often in areas where twigs and sticks and other tire-hazards lurk beneath. I just can't afford to be replacing $200 (CAD) tires due to a torn sidewall from an invisible pointy stick. Also, I'm currently crushing it at a ponderous 190lbs, which seems to be enough to flex the sidewalls on my 2XL's!

So... Yay for more options! But I'll probably stick with what I got... For now. ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Fat-Bikes CA is now taking pre-orders for the Johnny 5. They're reporting that it's a 120 tpi tire and made out of 62A compound with an aramid bead:

https://fatbikes.ca/product/terrene-johnny-5-tire/

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    Fat-Bikes CA is now taking pre-orders for the Johnny 5. They're reporting that it's a 120 tpi tire and made out of 62A compound with an aramid bead:

https://fatbikes.ca/product/terrene-johnny-5-tire/
    Do they certify that it fits your frame and fork?
    Where is the list of rims + bikes that will take them? Studded??
    Will they pay for the shipping for returned orders???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Geez, if someone wants to pre-order them, that's up to them.

One can see them mounted on the Fatback Corvus above. A little research into the Corvus's geometry and fork specs could give someone a reasonable idea. Guarantee? No.

Want to live on the bleeding edge and be the first to order, then risking return shipping is the price of admission.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have no idea. I'm just a rider like the rest of us passing on some information that I've seen. Some have shown an interest in knowing more about the specs on the Johnny 5, and this is the first time I can recall seeing the tpi and rubber compound mentioned. I'd still like to see the bead-to-bead measurement...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just had a look on Borealis Canada's site (which I think is the same as fatbikes.ca) and they show "available". Does this means that they are ready to ship...?

https://borealisbikes.ca/collections...10226807046188

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Want to live on the bleeding edge and be the first to order....
    been there, done that... :P

I'd still like to see the bead-to-bead measurement...
    agreed. in the below pic it looks to be the same width (height in the pic) as their 4.5 tire. I would think it would be wider, no?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

agreed. in the below pic it looks to be the same width (height in the pic) as their 4.5 tire. I would think it would be wider, no?

Well in Canada(where i live) they have the same retail price that my Bud/Lou had last year. Their weight is unknowned just like their performance so i will not even think about them for a while.
    If they fit my fatboy studded on my 90mm they are not 5.0 it is that plain simple.
    Most bikes are filled with 4.8.
    My guess is the front will not turn that well when it is winter up here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...in the below pic it looks to be the same width (height in the pic) as their 4.5 tire. I would think it would be wider, no?

I had the same sense. The early pics make it appear to be a "small" 5.0 tire. If so, it may not be much larger than Bud/Lou.

mtbr member
    May 2005

I dove in with the CakeEater, and had lackluster results. I will let someone else take the hit on the Johnny 5, and if it gets a good review, maybe I will try them myself.
    Sorry man but there is no way WTB is big enough to have their own tire factory. Perhaps Terrene has some help from an ex WTB guy or something, but your statement is wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    where the heck did you get a 27.5 x 4.5 cake eater? they dont even list them on the website. are they new?

This place needs an enema
    in the below pic it looks to be the same width (height in the pic) as their 4.5 tire. I would think it would be wider, no?

Difference in perspective matters -- the one on the right is closer to the camera, making it appear larger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Mike, I really want to give you the penumbral image receptor effect.... but the distances don't appear to be that great.

These are likely bud/Lou with stud pockets size, fatback tops out there in tire clearence as does the average fatbike. My guess is some derivative of tire dimension that does not alienate all but a select few frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfisherman View Post
    Mike, I really want to give you the penumbral image receptor effect.... but the distances don't appear to be that great.

Nope, not great, but IMO enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Difference in perspective matters -- the one on the right is closer to the camera, making it appear larger.
    To illustrate this I put a measure on it. (Note, scale was set to show relative difference). Either perspective matters or quality control sucks with the tire being 12.5% smaller a few inches away.

Terrene Johnny 5-tires.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Sorry man but there is no way WTB is big enough to have their own tire factory. Perhaps Terrene has some help from an ex WTB guy or something, but your statement is wrong.
    So, my statement is wrong based on your guess? Sounds logical, this is the internet after all...

Local Terrene rep told me WTB makes the tires. He had tire cutaways of WTB and Terrene tires. So, I will take more stock in his comments as factual vs internet guesses.

Anchorage, AK
    So, my statement is wrong based on your guess? Sounds logical, this is the internet after all...

Local Terrene rep told me WTB makes the tires. He had tire cutaways of WTB and Terrene tires. So, I will take more stock in his comments as factual vs internet guesses.
    The contractual relationships of manufacturers can be pretty complicated. Sometimes it's almost impossible to determine who really makes something.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Thanks for posting the photo. Iím completely disappointed in the width and am sick and tired of tire manufacturers exaggerating their sizes. This tire definitely has potential but it looks like Iíll have to wait for their 6Ē version to be released as maybe then itíll be the same size as a 2XL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for posting the photo. Iím completely disappointed in the width and am sick and tired of tire manufacturers exaggerating their sizes. This tire definitely has potential but it looks like Iíll have to wait for their 6Ē version to be released as maybe then itíll be the same size as a 2XL.
    Did you not believe the earlier posts that showed how misleading the perspective on this photo is? In addition to what has already been mentioned, look at the center tread blocks on each tire, not the mold seam or the zip ties, they are higher on the J5 which would imply it is the wider tire.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I hope you are right but the angle doesnít appear to be that great. We are talking 1/2Ē difference between marked sizes and shouldnít have to play photo analyst to see the wider tire.

mtbr member
    Perspective, sometimes an inch makes all the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-perspective1.jpg  

Terrene Johnny 5-perspective2.jpg  

'18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The idea it is a BIG tire is plain ridiculous.
    Most frames and most forks would not take it.
    LIES.
    Accept the facts.

mtbr member
    The idea it is a BIG tire is plain ridiculous.
    Most frames and most forks would not take it.
    LIES.
    Accept the facts.
    Have you seen the tire in person? Measured it? Have we seen it installed and compared side by side to another tire to see relative size? From what I have read above the answer is no. As such your claims are conjecture, not "facts".

When the tire becomes readily available I am sure people will post actual measurements on various rim widths and then people can discern for themselves if it will fit their bike.
    Last edited by BlueCheesehead; 09-02-2018 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Dillinger 5 is the hard pack standard, but the bigger class tires helps my size float, and every little bit of height helps my waffle stompers with heel and toe strikes.

Snow avalanche 4.8s were actually 4.3s, and possibly the most anti climactic tire purchase of my fatbike experience. Narrow, heavy and an odd compound combo.

The snowshoe xls I had were hard, slow and heavy. Didn't bother me till I rode other tires, then down the line they went.

If these are anywhere near a bud and Lou in supple and size, but with stud pockets I'll be one happy pre ordered camper.

Generally it's probably best to use "LIES" in all caps for companies that delay shipping dates for years on end, or political promises.....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    We are talking 1/2Ē difference between marked sizes and shouldnít have to play photo analyst to see the wider tire.

Squ-eti
    It's a tire, for a fat bike. If it's not what your after don't buy it. The world will go on lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    It's a tire, for a fat bike. If it's not what your after don't buy it. The world will go on lol.
    Please go and order a pair site unseen and then let us know if they are truly 5Ē wide as labeled.

Iím completely disappointed in the width and am sick and tired of tire manufacturers exaggerating their sizes.

Grab a clue, dude. They're free and dispensed pretty much everywhere around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If CEOs where ladies they would pretend to be thinner

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For anyone who might want to pull the trigger on some big tires now, Vee is running a 35% off sale, with free shipping, on "everything" until Sept 9. Defeats the purpose of doing a thorough comparison with the Johnny 5, but you can't beat the price...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like the 26x5.0 has almost exactly the same bead-to-bead and tread width measurements as the 27.5x4.5

Terrene Johnny 5-5b2cdea2-c00a-4ee7-8f4f-3eedbc1db701.jpeg

mtbr member
    Looks like the 26x5.0 has almost exactly the same bead-to-bead and tread width measurements as the 27.5x4.5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B2CDEA2-C00A-4EE7-8F4F-3EEDBC1DB701.jpeg 
Views:	330 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	1215642
    Sure, except the inner edge of the outer lug on the Johnny 5 looks to be at the outer edge of the outer lug on the Cake Eater. It also looks like the lower bead on the J5 is closer to the edge of the picture than the Cake Eater while the top beads are similar distances...although as demonstrated pictures are deceiving. I reserve judgement until we see some actual measurements.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I realize the average customer doesn't likely frequent a forum, but it does seem odd no measurements are given. If the October date of delivery is to be right, these have to be finalised versions nearly done with q.c. seems like a bead to bead measurement unstretched could placate the lot of us.

It might not be worth it to them but could drum up some excitement pre launch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For anyone who might want to pull the trigger on some big tires now, Vee is running a 35% off sale, with free shipping, on "everything" until Sept 9. Defeats the purpose of doing a thorough comparison with the Johnny 5, but you can't beat the price...
    Except that you then have to ride a Vee tire. The XL's at least are the slowest tire I've ever ridden, have only marginal lateral traction and have inconsistant stud pockets that swallow some studs while leaving others at the perfect height.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Except that you then have to ride a Vee tire. The XL's at least are the slowest tire I've ever ridden, have only marginal lateral traction and have inconsistant stud pockets that swallow some studs while leaving others at the perfect height.
    One thing is certain.
    If it is light it will run into trees.
    If it is heavy it will not accelerate.
    Do you order the light version?
    Do you order the heavy version?
    Do you order the 1 that fits your frame and fork?
    Do you order the other 1?
    Who will start a poll thread?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are you referring to a "Silica/Black" Vee Snoeshoe XL, or a "PSC/White" one? I ask because, having read a ton of posts on the 2XL tire, I'm pretty sure that the "too heavy, too stiff, too sluggish" comments definitely have been directed at the Silica/Black tire. I'm not as clear if the "PSC/White" version has been found to be equally unattractive in these areas, and I can't recall reading a review written by someone who's ridden both tires and can compare them directly.

According to Vee's website, the "Silica/Black" 2XL version is 230 grams heavier per tire than the "PSC/White" version; it's also made out of 62 durometer rubber versus the PSC's softer 51 durometer rubber. So, without further information, it seems possible that the PSC 2XL could perform better (or at least differently) than the Silica tire. Can anyone out there address this possibility?

I'll definitely grant you that Vee's quality control seems to have been called into question by a number of persons.
    Last edited by FitmanNJ; 09-09-2018 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the black Snowshoe XL's.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B2CDEA2-C00A-4EE7-8F4F-3EEDBC1DB701.jpeg 
Views:	330 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	1215642
    Thanks for posting this photo. To the flat earth believers who keep bring up the photo perspective I think you need to give your head a shake. How many photos is it going to take to demonstrate the 5.0 size is exaggerated? Typical BS marketing with 5.0 stamped on the side when it isnít even close.

Maybe it was really cold out when the picture was taken and the Johnny 5 had just stepped out of the pool and experienced ďshrinkageĒ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Are you referring to a "Silica/Black" Vee Snoeshoe XL, or a "PSC/White" one? I ask because, having read a ton of posts on the 2XL tire, I'm pretty sure that the "too heavy, too stiff, too sluggish" comments definitely have been directed at the Silica/Black tire. I'm not as clear if the "PSC/White" version has been found to be equally unattractive in these areas, and I can't recall reading a review written by someone who's ridden both tires and can compare them directly.

According to Vee's website, the "Silica/Black" 2XL version is 230 grams heavier per tire than the "PSC/White" version; it's also made out of 62 durometer rubber versus the PSC's softer 51 durometer rubber. So, without further information, it seems possible that the PSC 2XL could perform better (or at least differently) than the Silica tire. Can anyone out there address this possibility?

I'll definitely grant you that Vee's quality control seems to have been called into question by a number of persons.
    Iíve got both models and rode both types of tires over two separate winters and the PSC versions are way better. The are much softer than the black ones, snow doesnít stick to them, and they grip the ice better. Both versions of the 2XL provide excellent traction and flotation. The downsides are they are both very heavy, stiff, slow rolling, and take a lot more energy to ride than the bud/Lou combo. The knobs on the PSC tires are too soft to take grip studs (I tried). I have successfully studded the black versions. The black versions have a weird tendency to have snow stick to them like Velcro, itís very odd and slows you down even more.

Iíd seriously consider buying a set of J5ís if they were actually 5Ē wide. The 2XLs work but leave much to be desired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I remember seeing on youtube short 10 sec videos of huge tires in 2 feet of snow.
    The problem is it was downhill
    coming at fullspeed
    and slowing every second
    The 26x4.8 is spot on.
    Just select knobs according to where you ride.
    I like Bud/Lou but if i was elsewhere an other choice might be my first.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this photo. To the flat earth believers who keep bring up the photo perspective I think you need to give your head a shake. How many photos is it going to take to demonstrate the 5.0 size is exaggerated? Typical BS marketing with 5.0 stamped on the side when it isnít even close.

Maybe it was really cold out when the picture was taken and the Johnny 5 had just stepped out of the pool and experienced ďshrinkageĒ?

Name:  j52.jpg
Views: 3769
Size:  37.1 KB

For those that take the picture as Gospel:

Casing on J5 appears 5% wider than the Cake Eater 4.5 and tread appears about 10% wider. Given both tires are not available and widths cannot be confirmed, I am not sure much other than relative width, when laid flat, can be gleaned.

By the way, wouldn't the "flat earther" more appropriately be the one that insists in looking at things in 2D vs accepting the reality of the world in 3D perspective?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    After perusing this thread quickly it appears we have hit full roadie. Haha Hope you guys get out and enjoy riding your bikes today. :-)

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    For those that take the picture as Gospel:
    BUT BUT BUT what do they weigh? I am gonna go with 1550 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fatbike.com has 'em mounted up on HED 100's measured out to 4.85" @ 10 psi.
    Latitude 61

Ridden/stretched?

mtbr member
    BUT BUT BUT what do they weigh?...
    The same as a

DUCK

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So call it 4.9Ē stretched on 100mm rims - Sounds promising, even if it isnít quite the ďgiant studded tireĒ that so many riders want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ridden/stretched?
    Didn't sound like either, yet.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    With studs that will fit in 5% of bikes that are out there?
    Who has 100mm 5%?

mtbr member
    With studs that will fit in 5% of bikes that are out there?
    Who has 100mm 5%?
    How many bikes will it fit without studs? 5.5%?

Q:Who has 100mm rims?
    A:Those who's main concern is maximum tire size. Those folks may also be interested in this as a studded tire. It sure looks bigger than a D5 and is more aggressive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for this info. Just like the photos showed, it isnít a true 5Ē wide tire. Swing and a miss.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for this info. Just like the photos showed, it isnít a true 5Ē wide tire. Swing and a miss.
    Still considerably larger than the other high-quality (read: not vee) studded options out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Still considerably larger than the other high-quality (read: not vee) studded options out there
    You call that a quality thing? Is it because it weights 1.1 K or because it weights 1.9 K?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You call that a quality thing? Is it because it weights 1.1 K or because it weights 1.9 K?
    Not sure what you mean, the Johnny 5 has a claimed wieight of neither 1100 or 1900 grams. Veeís main quality issues seem to be rubber (thick, heavy, too stiff/not supple enough), non-round tires (hops when spinning) , durability (tread separates from casing), and widespread anecdotal reports of high rolling resistance. Low price, but you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not sure what you mean, the Johnny 5 has a claimed wieight of neither 1100 or 1900 grams. Veeís main quality issues seem to be rubber (thick, heavy, too stiff/not supple enough), non-round tires (hops when spinning) , durability (tread separates from casing), and widespread anecdotal reports of high rolling resistance. Low price, but you get what you pay for.
    Well if you do not know the weight you cannot say it is quality.
    If they can mesure it why is the weight a secret?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    4.85 unstretched at 10psi sounds fairly promising.
    ''Industry standard'' is 20psi and they will grow somewhat with use/stretch.
    It can be argued that 5psi or even 3psi should be the industry standard for fat tires, but most companies rate them at 20psi.

My own measurements for the Dillinger 5 (somewhat stretched, but unridden tire on 100mm Surly Clown shoe):

4.35'' at 5psi
    4.45'' at 10psi
    4.55'' at 20psi

I'm much more interested in the bead-bead width as that tells us more about the volume and potential footprint at low to super low psi.
    I'm guessing 270-275mm bead-bead.
    (Bud/Lou is typically around 260mm, Jumbo Jim 4.8 is around 265mm and the 2XL is just under 300mm)
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-13-2018 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here in Quebec we consider the D5 as a 4.5 with no weakness but kind of average do it all. So if we run our 4.8 at 5 PSI this ((bigger one)) should use 4 PSI. The problem is the 230 pounder wich would benefit from that big advantage will have the tire get to wide and create a chain problem.
    Other problem you buy, it fits
    it stretches, it fits no more.
    The stach full suspension has that problem, a bike way too heavy for a light weight like me but good on paper for heavy riders, except the chain detail, do you use a chain?

mtbr member
    Whatever you do, don't go to a lumber yard. None of their stuff measures advertised sizes either.

Tire sizes should be taken as nominal. More often than not bike tires do not measure advertised size regardless of manufacturer, or bike segment (road, mountain or fat). Some measure closer than others.

BTW, the photo showed nothing of width other than it was wider than a purported 4.5" tire.

mtbr member
    This thread is amusing. The very first few posts start with the bike rumor article and show the tire inflated on a Fatback Corvus which has exactly 6Ē between the rear stays. The close up photo shows the space between the tire and the stay (stay width is 3/4Ē, gap is obviously less). The article calls it 5Ē and the photo shows it at fully 5Ē and calls out the weight of 1700 grams.

The only thing I can figure is that the fat bike community on mtbr just has too much cabin fever waiting for the snow to fly...

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm much more interested in the bead-bead width as that tells us more about the volume and potential footprint at low to super low psi.
    I'm guessing 270-275mm bead-bead.
    (Bud/Lou is typically around 260mm, Jumbo Jim 4.8 is around 265mm and the 2XL is just under 300mm)
    This is the most important take away from this thread. 4th quarter 2018, it has well been established what bead-bead width will yield what inflated widths. Several threads on here, elsewhere on the net, buy a couple similar tires and break out the tape measure- then inter/extrapolate, utilize the solidworks model which you already need for the tread mold CNC. There is absolutely no reason that a manufacturer should be significantly off in their claims, with no obvious way to backup the hot-stamp on the sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by flowby2wheels View Post
    The only thing I can figure is that the fat bike community on mtbr just has too much cabin fever waiting for the snow to fly...

You're more generous than I.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well, at 4.85 they will fit the vast majority of 150/190 bikes. Same me some money on a frame to fit them, I suppose that's a plus.

At my size, going from dillinger 5 to bud/Lou is not a huge chasm in float but it is still noticeable. Last year did some comparisons and in some of the crust conditions it was the difference between rideable and not. With the shoulder seasons we go from needing float to bare ice back to float all in the same ride. These should be better tan current options, hopefully the pre order arrives before the ice does.

Granted it's the warmest september I've ever seen in western Alaska, studs may be moot for a while. Fine by me, it was the coldest may/June in memory.

Edit: just read the fat-bike.com article.... 1800 grams.... must be the tread blocks adding the weight. Basically they are studable Lou, not 2xl competition. The snow avalanches I got last year were 1850, and they went 4.3 so these should be better than those.

Not as big as I'd hoped, but probably good marketing to err on the size they went with. Tremendous amount of frames will fit this tire, probably keep the dilly 5s for commuting, these might drag like the old snowshoe xls....
    Last edited by Comfisherman; 09-14-2018 at 01:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Whatever you do, don't go to a lumber yard. None of their stuff measures advertised sizes either.

Tire sizes should be taken as nominal. More often than not bike tires do not measure advertised size regardless of manufacturer, or bike segment (road, mountain or fat). Some measure closer than others.

BTW, the photo showed nothing of width other than it was wider than a purported 4.5" tire.
    Same reason that Chicks don't like to date guys that drive Corvettes.

Anchorage, AK
    https://fat-bike.com/2018/09/product...-26x5-0-tires/

Quoting:

Weight Ė 1820g, 1802g

Flat Bead to Bead Ė 266mm

Flat Tread to Tread Ė 147mm

Mounted to HED 100mm rims at 10psi

Casing Ė 123.43mm

Tread Ė 122.41mm

Overall Height Ė 30.1996 inches

Overall Front Wheel Weight Ė 2930g

Tread Depth

Outer Shoulder Knobs Ė 6.6mm

Middle Knobs Ė 6.25mm

Center Knobs Ė 5mm

The Johnny 5ís are 1.4mm wider and .1429 of an inch shorter than the Lou.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Comparing their weights to the 1563g/1508g Surly Bud/Lou the J5ís are quite a bit heavier. https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-we...for-fat-bikes/

What I found on the Veetire site and if Iím reading it correctly, the cream PSC tire is 1740g. If that is accurate than the J5ís are even more similar to a front end loader tire than the heavy, slow rolling 2XL. What is the point of the J5ís? The 2XL appears to be lighter and it is much certainly wider and taller and offers much better float.
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/f...-snowshoe-2xl/

Itís such a shame that developing and manufacturing rubber tires is so difficult like rocket science or brain surgery. Just think, maybe sometime like 50 years into the future we could have some company in Asia just build a bigger version of a Surly Lou or Jumbo Jim. A tire with large volume and a thin case that doesnít use heavy equipment tire technology like the 2XL and the J5ís. But alas, one can only dream. Rubber tire technology is just too much like alchemy and unless the proper number of goats are sacrificed on the 3rd full moon, coinciding with the highest red tide during the year of the chicken, fat bike float progression is stalled out for the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It might be simple.
    Drop the font rubber.
    Just attach a 7 in wide ski at the fork.
    A heavy rider would float.
    A light rider like me would use it to open some trails after a snow fall.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Comparing their weights to the 1563g/1508g Surly Bud/Lou the J5ís are quite a bit heavier. https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-we...for-fat-bikes/

What I found on the Veetire site and if Iím reading it correctly, the cream PSC tire is 1740g. If that is accurate than the J5ís are even more similar to a front end loader tire than the heavy, slow rolling 2XL. What is the point of the J5ís? The 2XL appears to be lighter and it is much certainly wider and taller and offers much better float.
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/f...-snowshoe-2xl/
    I ordered a pair of 2XLs during Vee's recent sale and they both measure an identical 1906g. So, there's obviously quite a bit of variability in the weight of these big tires, and the website's listing is on the low side. Being substantially bigger than the competition (and with the noted 2-ply casing and large lugs) the higher actual weight isn't too surprising...

rth009
    May 2010
    Thus, after all these new tires over the last few years, Bud and Lou still reign supreme for soft snow. Add some grip studs and you have great performance in deep snow and glare ice.

All hail Bud and Lou!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Thus, after all these new tires over the last few years, Bud and Lou still reign supreme for soft snow. Add some grip studs and you have great performance in deep snow and glare ice.

All hail Bud and Lou!
    For sure.
    It is funny we read that this or that tire is great in winter.
    The reason riders like them a lot is because they tried riding in the snow with summer tires.
    I only have 2 years of fat/mountainbiking but i climb where others are limited by their tires.
    A rider i know sold his fat that had Bud/Lou, he just had to buy another pair after trying a different brand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, after all these years, I'm somewhat surprised Bud & Lou have not been dethroned as the best all around soft/unpacked snow tire.

Will once again be swapping out the Jumbo Jim 4.8 tires for Bud & Lou this winter. I run them tubeless on Mulefut rims. Even though they lack stud pockets, I feel no motivation whatsoever to replace them with the (reportedly) heavy Johnny 5s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For sure.
    It is funny we read that this or that tire is great in winter.
    The reason riders like them a lot is because they tried riding in the snow with summer tires.
    I only have 2 years of fat/mountainbiking but i climb where others are limited by their tires.
    A rider i know sold his fat that had Bud/Lou, he just had to buy another pair after trying a different brand.
    Bud and Lou still are fantastic! The only tire I feel comes close in terms of traction(apart from possibly VEE 2XL which I have never tried) is the Bontrager Gnarwhal 27.5 x 4.5. Better on ice because of studs but just(and I mean just) slightly inferior in deeper snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I just like to ride often, the 4.8 on 90 mm floats, the grippy Bud/Lou loves snow, with screw in studs i ride alone in confidence at minus 35. It might look expensive but hitting a tree is not on my top list. They last for seasons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Terrene Johnny 5-13350493-4149-4ad5-896a-a334608af556.jpg
    Terrene Johnny 5-747165e3-4126-4e15-9f5c-64619ca65318.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me so I weighed one of my 2XLís on a scale we use at work. I zeroíd the scale out before weighing and was surprised to see how much heavier my tire was than their stated weight, 4.5 lbs or 2040 grams. No wonder they are so fricking slow.

Last winter I went to Anchorage for a few days and had switched out to my grip studded bud/Lou as I figured I wouldnít need much if any floation on their trails. They were way faster and easier to pedal than the heavy ass and stiff 2XLís. I run 4.8 JJís in the summer and they are a dream to pedal but I didnít like them in snow as I put them on early this past spring and they donít provide much traction in mashed potato conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My world just needs these to ship in time to have them prepped for the first snow...

mtbr member
    Both this thread and the 2XL thread often leave me wondering how people are using these big tires. I have two fatties, one normal and the other thatís made to handle these humongous heavy tires on 100MM wide rims. Yes the big bike is considerably slow, but Iíve put it to use in deep sand and deep snow that has not been touched. Keeps me riding in conditions a normal fat bike will not handle. One canít expect these to go fast, but being the guy that can actually groom a trail with little hike a bike activity is fantastic. The alternative is to use my normal bike and walk frequenty. Since the 2XL doesnít have stud pockets those riding like I do that need studs may find this new tire fantastic. For others using rims under 100MM looking for lightweight and speed Iím thinking most already have what they need. To me the bottom line on the 5.0+ tires is sacrificing speed for the sake of not having to get off and push. Thatís been my experience for two years now on these 2XL Ďs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Both this thread and the 2XL thread often leave me wondering how people are using these big tires. I have two fatties, one normal and the other thatís made to handle these humongous heavy tires on 100MM wide rims. Yes the big bike is considerably slow, but Iíve put it to use in deep sand and deep snow that has not been touched. Keeps me riding in conditions a normal fat bike will not handle. One canít expect these to go fast, but being the guy that can actually groom a trail with little hike a bike activity is fantastic. The alternative is to use my normal bike and walk frequenty. Since the 2XL doesnít have stud pockets those riding like I do that need studs may find this new tire fantastic. For others using rims under 100MM looking for lightweight and speed Iím thinking most already have what they need. To me the bottom line on the 5.0+ tires is sacrificing speed for the sake of not having to get off and push. Thatís been my experience for two years now on these 2XL Ďs.
    A rider who is allways on a fat, i mean year round wrote that the 27.5 are slow to accelerate compared to the 26. Like you mention different tires have different qualities and depending of our weight, where we ride, what we enjoy we try to select a pair that is a good match. Like you in a year or 2 if i have room for them i might have a huge fat to pedal instead of putting on my snowshoes. I will be retired and out there everyday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My world just needs these to ship in time to have them prepped for the first snow...
    First snow? Already happened! But not enough to need 5" tires yet So I survived with the 4.0" Jumbo Jims I use for commuting and getting coffee Terrene Johnny 5-img_4832.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post
    First snow? Already happened! [/ATTACH]
    i am both excited, and sad at the same time... :P

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Hmm.. from

''.....developing to give Ďthe Surlyí Bud & Lou a run for their money as far as holding the title as the biggest and most aggressive fat-bike tires available (in the WORLD!) This new tire would be nothing short of World Fat-Bike Tire Domination according to Tim.''

But... back in 2016 on the same website:
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/01/vee-tir...idterm-report/
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-17-2018 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Actually, I very much share your targeted use for these big tires. I've got a three-season carbon fatbike with Jumbo Jims on 65mm rims, and I just completed an RSD Mayor build with the express purpose of maximizing my winter fun on 100mm/2XLs. I also have a pair of grip studded Bud & Lou's ready if it gets icy, though. Walking is great fun, just not when I'm riding my bikes! I live in New Jersey now, but I'm originally from Michigan (your neck of the woods?) and will be driving out to visit family for the holidays, so I plan to bring the Mayor along with the hope of finding some white stuff to ride in.

mtbr member
    Yes, SE Michigan. Occasionally get up north once in a while too

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hmm.. from

''.....developing to give Ďthe Surlyí Bud & Lou a run for their money as far as holding the title as the biggest and most aggressive fat-bike tires available (in the WORLD!) This new tire would be nothing short of World Fat-Bike Tire Domination according to Tim.''

But... back in 2016 on the same website:
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/01/vee-tir...idterm-report/
    Thanks for the links, those photos show beyond any doubt that the J5 is a 4.8Ē size tire and not a viable replacement for the 2XL. Thatís unfortunate, hopefully something lighter in the 5+ size will come out at some point. Iím glad I didnít order them sight unseen as Iíd have been greatly disappointed.

Thanks for the links, those photos show beyond any doubt that the J5 is a 4.8Ē size tire and not a viable replacement for the 2XL. Thatís unfortunate, hopefully something lighter in the 5+ size will come out at some point. Iím glad I didnít order them sight unseen as Iíd have been greatly disappointed.

It's almost, kinda, sorta like you're disappointed because your expectations were based on incorrect assumptions.

Which is definitely Terrene's fault -- and may they hang for it...

mtbr member
    It's almost, kinda, sorta like you're disappointed because your expectations were based on incorrect assumptions.

Which is definitely Terrene's fault -- and may they hang for it...
    It could have been 4.99999" and we still would have heard "but it's not 5..."

And how do we know how wide it is? Measurements, not a picture.

Terrene should change the name. How about "Johnny 5 (ish)"?

It could have been 4.99999" and we still would have heard "but it's not 5..."

And how do we know how wide it is? Measurements, not a picture.

Terrene should change the name. How about "Johnny 5 (ish)"?

My point is that (s)he, like others in this thread, assumed that Terrene was bringing a 2XL competitor to market. I have yet to find where Terrene ever stated anything other than that they were targeting Bud/Lou.

And, that said, the measurements we have thus far appear to be from unridden and unstretched tires. We don't yet know that they're sub-5", yet many here have lost their minds and cashed in their chips even though the season hasn't yet begun. Cray cray.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How many photos does one need to view to see they arenít even close to being 5Ē wide?

Name:  6D42D0D2-22E1-4BCE-B37F-CADC0D5C1776.jpeg
Views: 2869
Size:  39.5 KB
    Pathetic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The article you got that picture from measured them at a fairly low pressure to be 4.86" wide. By most accounts that would be pretty close to 5" especially since, as has been pointed out several times, they will stretch with use. Although I suspect that tires this heavy might not stretch much, then again 3% would do it..
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They can be honest.
    They can write in HUGE LETTERS, do not order if your fork and frame cannot take a real 5 in tire on Xmm rim.
    Until then they have that non honest sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will this tire fit my bike....which has blue grips?

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Will this tire fit my bike....which has blue grips?

You're hosed. Plus only toolbags use blue grips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week.
    PS....blue grips are SOOOOOOOO enduro, bro.
    Don't you even enduro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    1800 without spikes? =(((

poser Administrator
    please bicker elsewhere.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Squ-eti
    So, the fat bike market is dwindling, but a company is still willing to invest the time and resources to create a new product(which doesn't have a single real world review yet), and all people wanna do is beat the product and company down for theoretically not delivering their magical, unicorn tire? SMDH. Ya'll a tough crowd.

It's not easy to make a true 6" tire that only weighs 1000 grams, fits every fat bike ever made, could run over a bed of nails and not flat, has the rolling resistance of a 700x23 at 120 psi, and will last 10-20 years of daily use.

"Malfunction. Need input!"

Elitest thrill junkie
    So, the fat bike market is dwindling, but a company is still willing to invest the time and resources to create a new product(which doesn't have a single real world review yet), and all people wanna do is beat the product and company down for theoretically not delivering their magical, unicorn tire? SMDH. Ya'll a tough crowd.

It's not easy to make a true 6" tire that only weighs 1000 grams, fits every fat bike ever made, could run over a bed of nails and not flat, has the rolling resistance of a 700x23 at 120 psi, and will last 10-20 years of daily use.

Make it tubeless and $50 and SOLD!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Plus studs. And reflective sidewalls. And a pony.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Nice with added options in a tire market that has been sorta stagnant lately.
    Plus, these are the biggest fatbike tires ever, according to the fat-bike.com article/test, so that is cool.

Edit: Just noticed ''ultralight casing'' on the sidewall.
    That is great news, since even if the total weight of the tire is rather high, a lot of that weight is likely in the knobs, where the weight will do much less damage to rolling/grip/flotation performance (in soft to medium conditions) than if the same weight/amount of rubber has been applied to make a stiff and heavy casing instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Mike..... dont settle for the reflective sidewalls and a pony. Hold out for glow in the dark and a unicorn.

Espen, this is a serious question regarding tread block design. Why do bike tire manufacturers (especially it seems terrene) go for such large tread blocks so close together. I get that some blocks have stud pockets and others are siped. But it seems that for what the human body can produce in torque we have more rubber than is necessary.

Take the bud Lou combo, they have much thinner tread blocks but few people complain about blowing tread off of them. In other tire/track related hobbies tread depth and thickness are determined by power. These appear to be capable of absorbing Lance Armstrong power at the height of his doping, while on a hacked e scooter bike.

With all that said, still looking forward to them showing up in the mail some time in October. Going to need to buy more studs since these have a few more pockets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sure would have been helpful to have that in a sticky somewhere so I didn't make that mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I can't imagine two guys in a garage making their own tire molds and compounds. There is some contract tire manufacturer doing the actual tire making and it's not the two guys who started the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    WTB's high-end TCS tires are made by Innova, so WTB isn't exactly making them, but perhaps they're sharing some development work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    J5 1900gr~4.8 VS 1500gr45nrth wratchild~4.4...hmm

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sadness View Post
    J5 1900gr~4.8 VS 1500gr45nrth wratchild~4.4...hmm
    so the sake of accuracy, the Wrathchild 4.6 is 1420 grams without studs, 1500 w/ standard (not XL) concave studs. They are in fact 4.461" wide, measured on a 80mm rim.

I still want to see the J5 in person. Terrene has some decent compounds, so we shall see what people's impressions are once they are out there.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Mike..... dont settle for the reflective sidewalls and a pony. Hold out for glow in the dark and a unicorn.

Espen, this is a serious question regarding tread block design. Why do bike tire manufacturers (especially it seems terrene) go for such large tread blocks so close together. I get that some blocks have stud pockets and others are siped. But it seems that for what the human body can produce in torque we have more rubber than is necessary.

Take the bud Lou combo, they have much thinner tread blocks but few people complain about blowing tread off of them.
    Studs require a solid foundation for them to work efficiently.
    The knob must be stiff enough to drive the stud into the ice at the correct angle, under drive/braking forces.
    A thin and tall knob will deflect and not let the stud do its job.
    My 2XL prototypes were studded, and the studs barely work, in addition to stud bases poking out throug the sides of many of the knobs, so I recommended that Vee went unstudded for production.

Terrene likely wanted a firm foundation for the knobs, in addition to a paddle like knob shape for drive and braking traction in powder. That means meaty and heavy knobs, but as mentioned, if the side walls are thin, the tire will likely be much better/faster in soft/medium condition snow than a similar weight tire with thick sidewalls.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Espen, blast you and your logical reasoning! Grrrraaaaarrrrgggh

/sarcasm
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What do you think? Jonny5 fit specialized fatboy carbon frame on 85mm Hed Big Deal? I think they would be~120mm at 85?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sadness View Post
    What do you think? Jonny5 fit specialized fatboy carbon frame on 85mm Hed Big Deal? I think they would be~120mm at 85?
    iirc, fatboys can fit bud/lou, so i don't see why the j5 won't fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Here we are clipping along days in October. Is terrene usually good about deadlines? And when they say "october" is it usually the 1st or 31st.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When bike companies say October, you don't ask which day you ask which year.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    My dealer was told they are targeting October 24th for release... how many are released and to whom, that is the question..

Elitest thrill junkie
    They haven't shipped their triple-cutter studs yet either...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Here we are clipping along days in October. Is terrene usually good about deadlines? And when they say "october" is it usually the 1st or 31st.

I preordered these a few weeks back. ETA given then was 10/24.

Got an email from them just now asking for payment. Today is 10/23. Terrene generally won't accept (or ask for) payment until they have tires in inventory, ready to ship.

Will update this when I get a tracking #.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They are live on the website people. I plan to order a pair, but waiting for that "same name discount".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bump - shipped 10/24 means delivered by now, yes? Who's got em?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My pair of J5 shipped to Moscow =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This thread is freaking killing me!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Pre ordered a pair, no word from the outfit as of yet. Wife was sending pics of snow yesterday, so it's time for studs...
    T minus 2 days to make the October deadline. For as tight lipped as they have been the Hope was they would actually pull it off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a tracking number. Should be here Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentpushrod View Post
    I have a tracking number. Should be here Friday.
    I guess you know you should not roll at all untill the studs are in.
    Other wise small gravel in the holes might become problematic.
    Good luck with them meeting your expectations.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yup, shipping now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Pre ordered a pair, no word from the outfit as of yet. Wife was sending pics of snow yesterday, so it's time for studs...
    T minus 2 days to make the October deadline. For as tight lipped as they have been the Hope was they would actually pull it off.
    Yep. Have studs ready to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thinking of setting these up on a set of Fatboy 90 mm wheels I have. Iíll need to relace the front rim to a 150, as the Fatboy came with a 135 hub. They will go on my Big Fat Dummy. The BFD has The MOBD wheelset which is very nice, but only 80 mm. A much cheaper way than building up a new wheelset with 100 mm rims. Iíve run the Fatboy wheels with split tubes since Ď15 and they have worked great.

mtbr member
    My tracking number says Thursday... not much in the way of snow around here right now (not complaining) so no hurry.

I need to decide on a stud pattern, didnít think I would want a full set for the riding I do so I picked the DIY option...

mtbr member
    Quick update... my tires are 1700 and 1726 grams with a bead to bead width of 263mm.

The sidewall feels about like a Schwalbe snakeskin vs the much lighter ones on my Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x2.8. The cakes have the same ďultralight 120tpiĒ printed on the sidewall. Also the lugs are massive.

Not exactly sure when I will get them mounted up.

I got 2 big boxes of 'em today too, studded and not.

Still peak fall colors and hero dirt so not much need as yet. Might get a set mounted and stretching next week...

...or maybe i'll just keep enjoying the hero dirt for awhile...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iím guessing those are unstudded weights?

Quick update... my tires are 1700 and 1726 grams with a bead to bead width of 263mm.

The sidewall feels about like a Schwalbe snakeskin vs the much lighter ones on my Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x2.8. The cakes have the same ďultralight 120tpiĒ printed on the sidewall. Also the lugs are massive.

Not exactly sure when I will get them mounted up.

mtbr member
    Iím guessing those are unstudded weights?
    Yes. I wasnít sure I wanted a full set of studs so I wanted the option of picking my own pattern.

Seemed to be an extra $40 plus time in the worst case of fully studding with Terrene studs... and I will probably do less and/or mix in some or all of the 6.0mm bikestud.com ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just got one mounted, and bikestuds concave studs installed. Mounted on a Fatboy 90 mm rim. Took a quick photo left to right is a 27.5x3.8 Hodag mounted to an 80 mm rim. Next is a 26x4.3 Surly Edna on an 80 mm rim. On the right is the J5 on a 90 mm rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-2ab20210-befd-4ea8-b2f8-97f3c9b11e55.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentpushrod View Post
    Just got one mounted, and bikestuds concave studs installed. Mounted on a Fatboy 90 mm rim. Took a quick photo left to right is a 27.5x3.8 Hodag mounted to an 80 mm rim. Next is a 26x4.3 Surly Edna on an 80 mm rim. On the right is the J5 on a 90 mm rim.
    How high is it? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Heck with that. We need an answer to the question that burned up quite a bit of this thread. How wide is it?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Iíll get a height measurement tomorrow when I do the front. Battery is dead on my calipers, but it looks to be 4.75 inches wide by the ruler on the caliper. That is measured from outer lug to outer lug. Tubeless at 15 psi on 90 mm rims. I expect them to stretch a bit.

Have the back mounted in my Big Fat Dummy, tons of frame clearance, but I had to truncate the cassette due to chain line interference. Removed three smallest cogs, spaced the cassette out. Need longer b screw, and longer limit screws to make it all work. So now instead of it a 2x11 itís a 2x8. I may go 1x for the winter, run a 30 tooth outer ring, my be able to add one or two cogs back to the cassette.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thatís going to be perfect width for my setups.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012

Thanks!
    263mm is right in there with the other true 4.8s.
    I usually measure Jumbo Jim 4.8 to 265mm
    Bud/Lou 260mm
    Snowshoe XL 260mm

The 2XL, though usually comes in at a hair under 300mm (298-299mm typically)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How do the J5ís compare in weight and flexibility to bud/Louís?

How do the J5ís compare in weight and flexibility to bud/Louís?

The holidays are approaching so they're trying to pre-lose the extra few pounds around their middle, largely by attending nightly hot yoga classes. Which is also helping with their flexibility.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    The holidays are approaching so they're trying to pre-lose the extra few pounds around their middle, largely by attending nightly hot yoga classes. Which is also helping with their flexibility.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My J5ís measure 30 3/8Ē high.

Just got around to unboxing my order.

Unstudded J5's were all between 1710 and 1724g.

Studded were all between 1825 and 1835g.

I have one set installed on a set of 105mm rims, tubeless, at ~16psi. Will let 'em stretch for several days and maybe even take them for a few rides before measuring casing dims.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Perspective, sometimes an inch makes all the difference.
    I'm here for the magic show. Fat-in-Fundy please one more.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    I'm here for the magic show. Fat-in-Fundy please one more.
    Well maybe after the next beer run, enough "magic" in this thread already though I think!
    '18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

mtbr member
    Just got mine today, it weighed in at 1704 grams, haven't mounted it yet but this tire looks pretty solid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got mine today too, going to have to install the studs though, so might get them mounted by this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Snowed about 4Ē here with 30 mph winds, so some pretty good drifts. Dry, light snow, temps around 15 F tonight. Went for a ride, running 7 psi, as Iím 250 lbs, and the Big Fat Dummy is 60 lbs. Could have maybe dropped a few more psi, but they performed pretty well. They seemed to hold pretty well in corners, not washing out like my Ground Controls. Big lugs have lots of bite, great traction. One ride isnít enough for a final verdict by far, but my initial impressions are good. I think these tires are going to be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Got mine today too, going to have to install the studs though, so might get them mounted by this weekend.
    Do they come with the studs unmounted?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Do they come with the studs unmounted?
    No, you can order them studded or unstudded. I chose the former and bought studs from Bikestuds and Terrene, a mix.

I have the J5's mounted tubeless on 105mm singlewall rims. Unridden as yet. They've been mounted at ~15psi for a few days, stretching. 30.5" tall and 125mm wide at this point. Should grow a bit once ridden -- both in width and height.

For comparison, I have 2XL's mounted tubeless on the same 105mm singlewall rims. They've been ridden for 2 seasons now, thus they should be as stretched as possible. 31.1" tall and 128mm wide.

And finally, a well-stretched Bud on a 90mm rim at same pressure is 30.2" tall and 115mm wide.

10 day forecast is for sun, sun, and more sun, so no riding on any of these imminent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the J5's mounted tubeless on 105mm singlewall rims. Unridden as yet. They've been mounted at ~15psi for a few days, stretching. 30.5" tall and 125mm wide at this point. Should grow a bit once ridden -- both in width and height.
    That's only 4.92126 inches! What a rip off! How dare they call that a 5 incher!

In reality, I wonder how many bikes it will actually fit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just ordered a set online as local outfit just quoted another 3-5 weeks, so hopefully next week I'm filling stud pockets.

My guess is at winter pressures on average sized rims they will fit on most 197 rear bikes just like bud and Lou. My minions grew, but nothing like the colossus tires did. Guessing the lug type holds the tire in place a bit more. Folks with 80-90mm rims will likely do fine, guys who have 105s will already likely have a bike with extra clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just ordered a set online as local outfit just quoted another 3-5 weeks, so hopefully next week I'm filling stud pockets.

My guess is at winter pressures on average sized rims they will fit on most 197 rear bikes just like bud and Lou. My minions grew, but nothing like the colossus tires did. Guessing the lug type holds the tire in place a bit more. Folks with 80-90mm rims will likely do fine, guys who have 105s will already likely have a bike with extra clearance.
    Good luck. From my experience my studded Bud/Lou now 20 months on 90mm are filling my Fatboy so any wider would be touchy. Being heavier the Terrene might not fit my bike or real tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

For comparison, I have 2XL's mounted tubeless on the same 105mm singlewall rims. They've been ridden for 2 seasons now, thus they should be as stretched as possible. 31.1" tall and 128mm wide.

And finally, a well-stretched Bud on a 90mm rim at same pressure is 30.2" tall and 115mm wide.

10 day forecast is for sun, sun, and more sun, so no riding on any of these imminent.
    Helpful post, thanks. Do you know how Bud measures on those 105s?

Helpful post, thanks. Do you know how Bud measures on those 105s?

Nope, never had Bud on those rims.

mtbr member
    That's only 4.92126 inches! What a rip off! How dare they call that a 5 incher!

In reality, I wonder how many bikes it will actually fit?
    Funny, the gnashing of teeth from those SURE the pictures PROVED beyond a doubt the tires were falsely advertised. (hint for those: some ketchup may help the crow go down)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Funny, the gnashing of teeth from those SURE the pictures PROVED beyond a doubt the tires were falsely advertised. (hint for those: some ketchup may help the crow go down)
    If you can't trust pictures and anonymous people on the interwebz....then who can you trust?

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you can't trust pictures and anonymous people on the interwebz....then who can you trust?
    Well, anything posted by Abraham Lincoln for one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well, anything posted by Abraham Lincoln for one.
    I only trust if it was before that sex change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Johnny 5 in the wild. Loving this tire, 5 inches or not, itís all good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-f1b29ab5-4678-43c1-9c48-de28fe064b36.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Seriously! I heard about this train wreck of a thread, just had to stop by to take a look and wow, what a friggin nightmare.

May the snow fly sooner than the sensibilities present in this thread!!

You're more generous than I.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No, you can order them studded or unstudded. I chose the former and bought studs from Bikestuds and Terrene, a mix.
    Any reason you chose buying the studs separate? Are the Terrene studs not worthy?

Being heavier the Terrene might not fit my bike or real tight.

?! Pretty sure you've got that flipped the wrong around way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Any reason you chose buying the studs separate? Are the Terrene studs not worthy?
    I like the Terrene studs and the best value to get them would be to order the tires with the studs. To buy Terrene studs alone they are about .50/ea. The scalloped tips really bit in. If buying after the fact, I cannot say they are worth the cost premium vs. a Bikestud concave stud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nope, never had Bud on those rims.
    Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.

Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.

I'm not sure I believe that published number for Bud.

But assuming it is correct, we are agreed that the width differences are small.

I think the height difference from Bud to 2XL is enormous. Over an inch of difference translates to a lot of volume.

Pic below is not doctored in any way. Both wheels are sitting on level ground, and both tires are on same width rims at same pressure in that shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-screen-shot-2018-11-09-12.18.21-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?
    Personaly i had 26x4.6 Groundcontrol(Specialized) on 90mm on my fatboy. Probably a good 4 season but i use my fat only for our 4 winter months. The front was missing a few curves so in March 2017 i switched to Bud/Lou adding 100 quality studs on each and i am realy happy, probably the best winter solution to ride as often as possible. A friend bought a pair of what i call compromised tires kind of light and fast but not grippy enough, so he added cheap studs and sold them at a loss. The pattern looks quite 4 season on the terene and between the heavier aspect and the maybe they will fit i am sure in Quebec they will not be popular. Also with Giant offering 2 fat models on 27.5 on 85 mm we will probably have many 27.5x4.5 options next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast