Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    What were your last winter tires before installing that pair?
    So they are great off trails?
    also off camber?
    the front allways tracks?
    What are the negatives?
    Thanks.
    I have Dillinger 5's and Minion 4.8, both studded. For riding soft snow the J5's have superior float, track and grip.

Every tire is a compromise in some form depending on what your objective. I don't ride XC or off trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    200lbs - every gauge is different, I could be riding 4.

mtbr member
    Gotcha!

To be honest I rarely use a gauge anymore. Itís pretty much the old ďhand pushing down on the tireĒ Gauge. In soft snow, the pressure needs to be low enough that I can push the tire down and hold it against the rim bottomed out without much effort. The pressure only goes up from there depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    6psi? How much do you weight - that seems really high for a tire that size. My operating range is in the 2-4 range with smaller tires, but Iím only 145 pounds. 6psi would be unridable for a tire like that in soft snow (for me).
    Depends on the tire. I was running 6 in my barbergazis and a guy gave it the queeze test and he was like bull shit, this has like 2-3. He was running bud and lou. He had 6 in his and it felt like 12 in my tires.

Same with a friend and his wife, his 45nrths felt way squishier than his wifes minnions at the same psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mounted my J5 this morning. Inflated and seated the bead with just a floor pump on a Dirt Compnents Thumpers wheel. Iíll be running this on the front only due to lack of clearance on my frame. My winter tire combo will be J5 front (studded) with Wazia 4.6 (studded rear). I just need to wait for snow again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fernieoldgoat View Post
    I have Dillinger 5's and Minion 4.8, both studded. For riding soft snow the J5's have superior float, track and grip.

Every tire is a compromise in some form depending on what your objective. I don't ride XC or off trails.
    You don't ride XC or off trail?
    Then what do you ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So....I finally mounted mine up on 100mm rims and let em sit over night at a pressure I'd never ride them at.
    On my Borealis Echo and Farley Ex...which fit a Lou or Vee XL no problem....they are snug. Less than 5mm to chain stays and chain lightly rubs tire on big cog.They will probably suck in a little when I lower the pressure to real world use...but they might grow a little after lots of riding.
    No sweat for me because I have a RSD....where they look tiny after having a Vee 2XL on there.
    But if your bike is tight with a Lou....you may be SOL....

This place needs an enema
    Real world ride comparisons to 2XL here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/te...o-1093684.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My J5 came in and I threw it on the front (Cake eater 4.6" in back) for a ride in fresh, long-awaited powder. Realized as I left the house that I had put the tire on backwards. Oh well.

I have to say that it certainly has more float and grip in loose snow than a D5 and is less likely to wash out, even mounted backwards. However, the rolling resistance was pretty high with the tread "scooping" forwards as the wheel rolls. I'll be switching it to the normal direction ASAP! I'd doubt that there is even a reason to run a J5 backwards on the rear because the knobs are so massive as to give tons of grip in the normal (i.e. lower rolling resistance) orientation.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way.
    After a quick few pm's here on 11/29, I forwarded email i sent from earlier this year with specifics of the issues i had with the tires and *POOF*, gone.

mtbr member
    Lots of people out at the Fat Pursuit yesterday and I saw a few Johnny 5s. Mine are studded and on a Corvus with HED BADs.

Started out with a little higher pressure than I needed. Aired down at the aid station. Tires seemed really good at grabbing the edge of ruts and pulling up and out without sliding or tearing the snow. Overall I had very few issues with tire grip. Float was good for me (170lbs+~15gear).

Based on comparisons with other riders including one on Bud/Lou who has a lot of these races under his belt they seemed every bit as good on the snow we had. I also spent some time at speed (20mph) and they rip pretty good and are controllable.

Finished 5th overall fwiw. Maybe if they were Johnny 1s...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Where are people buying them from and how much are they? I only see one spot online and $260 studded is a little tough to justify for how much I ride. And maybe I missed it, but what studs are people running? I could always buy unstudded and run a 45 nrth or something to bring the cost down. Or I could just go Wazia. I'm looking to run it in the rear only right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cere8 View Post
    Where are people buying them from and how much are they? I only see one spot online and $260 studded is a little tough to justify for how much I ride. And maybe I missed it, but what studs are people running? I could always buy unstudded and run a 45 nrth or something to bring the cost down. Or I could just go Wazia. I'm looking to run it in the rear only right now.
    If on a budget you can buy Bud/Lou and put screws in 7/16 some people are satisfied

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They are $140 unstudded so just add in studs from bikestud.com and you're still below $200. You can probably find the tires 10-15% off online as well.

I've not run bud/lou, but I can say that the J5 is hands-down a better front tire for deep and loose snow than the Snowshoe 2XL, Dillinger 5, and 4.6" Cake eater. The big lugs really keep the front tire from washing out.

Also, the 320 stud pockets make for a great evening of hand strength exercises, though the studs do go in quite easily compared to the 2XL.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, the bikestuds work well. Similar profile to the terrene studs (in terms of height and diameter) so they penetrate well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cere8 View Post
    I know Mikesee has a bunch of studded tires on sale....I don't know if these are among them....maybe ping him here or via his lacemine29.com site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    After a quick few pm's here on 11/29, I forwarded email i sent from earlier this year with specifics of the issues i had with the tires and *POOF*, gone.

Brutal customer service. I had a 45nrth dunder sidewal fail and it was relaced by my LBS 2 days after I returned the tire. Currently riding 4.5 gnars snd I know my lbs would replace them if I had issues too. Stories like this make me glad I got gnars over the terrenes. When spending $500cdn on tires/studs you expect some customer service/warranty. I've even had maxxis send me a replacement ardent race no questions asked when I had 1 show up with a crooked bead/sidewall that wouldn't hold sealant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live in Quebec and here Terrene service has a terrible reputation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Circling back around...
    After some miles....it's 123mm on a 100mm rim at 4.5 psi...measured with a $400 Longacre gauge.
    Which gives me 2mm chainstay clearance on a Borealis Echo....too tight...especially if it stretches more. So it's a little bigger than a well stretched Lou

Riding yesterday....it was a great tire on a frozen base with 1/2 inch of new snow on top.
    A dillinger 5 studded was faster....but the J5 studs hooked up better.
    Hoping to get some snow here to try it in different and deeper conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The D 5 studs are not the best. A guy here has 150 gripstuds/tire for 6 years and are better than his wife D 5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The D 5 studs are not the best. A guy here has 150 gripstuds/tire for 6 years and are better than his wife D 5.
    Grips studs have their place.....just not on a regular basis.
    Unless you want a heavy slow tire...that is really good on pure ice and really bad everywhere...and i do mean everywhere...else

mtbr member
    Why? Since you can put Gripstuds in any tire, why would they be heavier and why would they be a pure ice tire only?

A friend Gripstudded his FBF/FBR and they work well, nothing like my Wrathchilds, but very well overall.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    D5 studs are the best.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Why? Since you can put Gripstuds in any tire, why would they be heavier and why would they be a pure ice tire only?

A friend Gripstudded his FBF/FBR and they work well, nothing like my Wrathchilds, but very well overall.
    Grip studs are larger and heavier than the studs used in factory studded tires. The stud tips on the Grip Studs are also taller and a little bit thicker than the factory type, push in studs. I think one would be hard pressed to find a non studded tire that featured enough knobs of adequate size to take a grip stud so as to be on the same level of ice traction as a factory studded tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    People around here are real happy with 100-150 gripstud/tire no need for over 220 and D 5 are swimmers. For soft, real 4.8 are floaters. D5 should not even be mentioned here everyone agrees that they are allaround this thread is about big floating tires will they fit the frame? will they deliver traction on snow? on ice? Sofar in many months there are lots of maybe.
    Last edited by 33red; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:12 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was just ribbing you, D5 studs are ok, definitely not super, but it makes a great all around tire, and used on a 90-100mm rim, balloons out nicely. J5 studs are on the next level, due to concentration and contact IME.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I donít think 4 3/8Ē for a D5 is ballooning on a 100mm wheel. The only way to get decent float is to air them way down and you are left with a miserable, power hopping and robbing bike that is slow and more difficult to pedal than necessary. Iíd rather run a set of grip studded bud/Louís at a higher pressure with their wider footprint since they are more efficient and faster than D5ís. If a guy mostly rides just hard pack or icy conditions the. D5ís are great. Get them in a situation where float and traction become issues than they leave much to be desired, particularly for their ridiculously high price.

mtbr member
    That depends on rider weight. I had a hard time with the D5ís and my 210# frame so I upgraded to the Wrathchilds, which despite being on the same carcass, are light years beyond the D5. My wife, who is 140#, positively excels on the D5ís and doesnít need to air them down nearly as much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    That depends on rider weight. I had a hard time with the D5ís and my 210# frame so I upgraded to the Wrathchilds, which despite being on the same carcass, are light years beyond the D5. My wife, who is 140#, positively excels on the D5ís and doesnít need to air them down nearly as much.
    Ditto. The traction provided by the Wrathchilds far exceeded that of the D5 in loose snow, deep snow, nasty surfaces, and especially ice. Did I roll slower? Maybe in a straight line on groomed snow, but the gains in straightline traction and cornering grip more than made up for it (on my local trails anyways)

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    D5 studs are the best.

I haven't spent a ton of time on them yet this winter, but the Terrene crown studs have been super impressive relative to anything else, and especially compared to the 45N concave stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I haven't spent a ton of time on them yet this winter, but the Terrene crown studs have been super impressive relative to anything else, and especially compared to the 45N concave stuff.
    Err, see my later comment, what you quoted was in jest. I really like the smaller diameter Terrence/bikestud studs, they seem to penetrate very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Can someone compare the J5 to a Jumbo Jim 4.8? The JJ will fit in my frame but just barely. Trying to determine if the J5 will. I have the D5 on 100mm rims and those fit but as others have said they are much smaller that labeled.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Can someone compare the J5 to a Jumbo Jim 4.8? The JJ will fit in my frame but just barely. Trying to determine if the J5 will. I have the D5 on 100mm rims and those fit but as others have said they are much smaller that labeled.

Thanks in advance.
    The Schwalbe is much smaller than the J5
    The 4.8 easily fit my frame....the J5 fits with 2mm to spare....but will probably bloom a bit more.
    Wasn't a fan of the schwalbe in most winter conditions that I ride in.( might be different for where you are)
    Last edited by the mayor; 1 Week Ago at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe you can mesure your JJ 4.8. What size are your rims?
    My Bud/Lou on 90 mm 1.5 year installed are just a bit less than 4.8 so on 100mm they are real 4.8. My Fatboy 2017 came with 4.6 GroundControl. If real 4.8 are too much you might like the 4.6 Specialized GroundContol. They can be found on the cheap as take off or with a few miles. If you like traction and they fit Bud/Lou will please you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234