Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?
    Given the J5 is just now being received not many, if any, have had a chance to give them a spin in softer snow. The Bud is a very good front specific tire but that is not to say other blockier tread tires work fine in the front in soft snow. Nate and Vanhelga are a couple that come to mind. The J5 looks to take a spot next to the Wrathchild as a large, knobby, studded tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interesting note on the "optical illusion/lying eyeballs" speculation from earlier in this thread. Fat-bike dot com confirms that the 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eater does indeed have the same bead-to-bead measurement as the 26x"5.0" J5. In fact, the Cake Eater has a slightly wider bead to bead, 267mm for CE vs 266mm for J5 as measured by fat-bike.

So Terrene is selling two tires, with a labeled width difference of 0.5 inches, but the exact same actual unmounted width. The actual difference in width then comes from the rims that the tire is mounted to.

A Cake Eater 4.5 on a 27.5x100mm rim, if it existed, might be the TRUE king of studded knobbies.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Fat-bike dot com confirms that the 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eater does indeed have the same bead-to-bead measurement as the 26x"5.0" J5. In fact, the Cake Eater has a slightly wider bead to bead, 267mm for CE vs 266mm for J5 as measured by fat-bike.
    I think that might be a misprint of some sort.

I just measured 3 different CE's in 3 different places per tire. Flat bead to bead, the biggest I could get was 259mm. Which is still plenty big -- just not bigger than J5.

For reference, the previous biggest 27.5" fatty was the Gnarwhal. Just measured one at 240mm b2b.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    27.5x4.5" Cake Eater vs 26x5" J5 would be a very interesting comparison. I'd love more float up front and a larger diameter tire than my D5, one of these might be the ticket.

the 27.5" rim would be heavier, but the CE is lighter than the J5, so I think the overall weight would be the same. J5 probably has better loose snow and ice grip (more knobs and studs) at the expense of rolling resistance. CE will probably have less undamped "bounce" due to lower sidewall height, but maybe better roll-over on bumps due to slightly taller height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.
    My Lou on a 100mm wheel is 115mm at the side knobs and 119mm at the case at 8 psi. My 2XL is 126mm at the side knobs and 129mm at the case on 100mm wheel at 8psi. The 2XL is much larger than either a Bud or Lou. I just saw Bud/Louís listed for $80 each on line and studded J5ís for $240 each. It be quite a bit cheaper to buy 200 grip studs off eBay, stud the bud/Louís than get J5ís unless their price comes down.

2XL and Lou both at 8psi for comparison.
    Terrene Johnny 5-86cb7f5b-eb0f-4795-a3c7-5f0f18f6c558.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    My Lou on a 100mm wheel is 115mm at the side knobs and 119mm at the case at 8 psi. My 2XL is 126mm at the side knobs and 129mm at the case on 100mm wheel at 8psi. The 2XL is much larger than either a Bud or Lou. I just saw Bud/Louís listed for $80 each on line and studded J5ís for $240 each. It be quite a bit cheaper to buy 200 grip studs off eBay, stud the bud/Louís than get J5ís unless their price comes down.

2XL and Lou both at 8psi for comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86CB7F5B-EB0F-4795-A3C7-5F0F18F6C558.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	1224584
    Great, except the J5 has 320 studs per tire.

mtbr member
    Freshly mounted J5s on 80mm Mulfuts are showing 4.75Ē max width at the knob. 15 psi. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Freshly mounted J5s on 80mm Mulfuts are showing 4.75Ē max width at the knob. 15 psi. Works for me.
    It would be interesting to know your frame year and size and if the clearance is OK or minimal. Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just mounted, getting 120mm from knob to knob. Casing is harder, the caliper isn't long enough, so best guess by adjusting it on each side is 115mm.

90mm OD rims.

Terrene Johnny 5-img_5895.jpgTerrene Johnny 5-img_5893.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You guys are insane with your width obsession. Like others have said, "if" it was a true 5" tire would it fit in a lot of the frames out there? Yes, there is a lot of "false" advertising going on in the mtn/fat bike tire world and I am unclear as to why. But one thing is for sure, no one really has a good grasp on how to achieve the stated dimensions on tires, regardless of manufacturer.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You guys are insane with your width obsession. Like others have said, "if" it was a true 5" tire would it fit in a lot of the frames out there? Yes, there is a lot of "false" advertising going on in the mtn/fat bike tire world and I am unclear as to why. But one thing is for sure, no one really has a good grasp on how to achieve the stated dimensions on tires, regardless of manufacturer.
    Due to incompetence in the use of precision measuring tools by manufacturers...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You guys are insane with your width obsession.
    Agreed. Just crazy.

Also don't see anything revolutionary about the Terrene tires. Just another player in the world of fat bike tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Agreed. Just crazy.

Also don't see anything revolutionary about the Terrene tires. Just another player in the world of fat bike tires.
    If the J5 had actually been the size labeled it would have been closer to revolutionary. Now it's just noteworthy for being the biggest studded tire on the market, which is still an important distinction for lots of buyers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Even if the Cake Eater is only 259mm, that's still measuring like most tires labeled 4.8. I might actually be more intrigued by the Cake Eater than the J5, as it seems like you could get the CE's contact patch bigger than the J5; too bad there don't seem to be any 27.5 rims wider than 80mm internal (the Enve with its pants-on-head pricing doesn't count).

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I think that might be a misprint of some sort.

I just measured 3 different CE's in 3 different places per tire. Flat bead to bead, the biggest I could get was 259mm. Which is still plenty big -- just not bigger than J5.

For reference, the previous biggest 27.5" fatty was the Gnarwhal. Just measured one at 240mm b2b.

You guys are insane with your width obsession.

Who? Why?

Installed on the bike.

Still unridden. Still 125mm wide.

Still unlikely to be ridden for another ~month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-img_2613.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the J5 had actually been the size labeled it would have been closer to revolutionary. Now it's just noteworthy for being the biggest studded tire on the market, which is still an important distinction for lots of buyers.
    It's 2mm from being 5 inches. Would it really go from just noteworthy to almost revolutionary if it was 2mm wider?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    It's 2mm from being 5 inches. Would it really go from just noteworthy to almost revolutionary if it was 2mm wider?
    5" is magical. 4.92" has you sinking like a rock. 5.0"? It's a freakin magic carpet ride.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Installed on the bike.

Still unridden. Still 125mm wide.

Still unlikely to be ridden for another ~month.
    wow, that is a lot of bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    wow, that is a lot of bike...

Yep. Pretty much built for float first, and second, with all other considerations tertiary.

Odd-angle bar ends are used more for pogie retention and positioning than resting hands on. But because hands do get rested on/leaned into them at low temps, they are wrapped in neoprene.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Agreed. Just crazy.

No one has even ridden one in the snow yet, or ice, or anything. Judging a tire based on looks alone is just plain silly.

Who? Why?
    See the quoted post above yours. This type of thinking is beyond weird to me. I would almost want a taller tire then wider as not too many bikes can handle the width, but the overall diameter doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. If the compound is right, it doesn't self steer too bad at lower psi, and the stud grip ice...it gets my vote.

I NEED A 5" TIRE
    MUST BE 5" OR IT SUCKS
    NO ONE HAS RIDDEN ONE YET, BUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT 5" EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MUST BE SUB PAR
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

sidewalls?

So, now that folks have seen these tires, what are the sidewalls like? Thin like the surly tires and dillingers, or thicker?

I NEED A 5" TIRE
    MUST BE 5" OR IT SUCKS
    NO ONE HAS RIDDEN ONE YET, BUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT 5" EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MUST BE SUB PAR
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Got it. Yeah, there's at least one pro-level toolbox consistently trolling this thread. (S)he is on the 3rd or 4th username in 2 years now, keeps getting booted and then comes back. Like the only thing (s)he has to offer is a nancy negative attitude, with no life outside of that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iím one of the people who is disappointed at the size of the J5. I get that 4.9 inches (on a 105mm rim, which FWIW is rare) is not much less than 5.0. But I was hoping for a snowshoe 2XL-sized tire; a.k.a. the only 5.0 tire we had for reference prior to this. The J5 is the same size as bud & Lou, which we have had since what - 2013? If you think the size difference between the 2XL and bud/lou is insignificant, you should try them back to back. A studded, lighter 2XL sized tire would be a big deal. Better yet if it were even bigger.

My point is: There is demand for significantly larger studded tire options than whatís currently on the market. When this was announced as a ď5.zeroĒ tire it got my hopes up. Bud & lou are labeled 4.8 but the J5 is apparently the same size as they are, so thatís a bit of a let down.

Am I overthinking it? Maybe. Probably.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Am I overthinking it? Maybe. Probably.
    I would say you are very much over estimating the demand for ANY tire over 5", much less a studded tire over 5". The percentage of people who are even willing to spend this kind of money on bike tires is pretty slim, then factor in the need for studs, and THEN you have to realize not many bikes will accept tires over 5", and diminish any further demand. This tire is directed at a niche market to begin with, anything wider and you are catering to 10% of the fat bike market.

mtbr member
    Its funny because i was looking at the specs on the 27.5Ēx4.5Ē cake eater and its huge. 1/2Ē taller than a gnarwhal... my gnarwhal is tight on my 21.5Ē farley carbon frame. What they hell does this thing fit? Its apparently the same height as a XXL so it probably does fit the farley but hola, its big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

anything wider and you are catering to 10% of the fat bike market.

I think even that is hopelessly optimistic. Most people with fatbikes are riding them down the block to get coffee. On dry pavement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think even that is hopelessly optimistic. Most people with fatbikes are riding them down the block to get coffee. On dry pavement.
    Where they park next to the person who does the same thing with a tricked out 4WD pickup.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    mikesee

The J5s you mounted appear to be void of studs and rear tire appears to be mounted in same direction as front. I look forward to your review on the J5s. Hopefully you can compare and contrast to Bud & Lou as well.

OT - I too am interested in the 27.5 x 4.5 CEs as to how they compare to the studded Gnars. I love the Gnars in less than 5" fresh and especially on day old crusties.

BTW - Rode Bud and Lou on 5" of freshies Sunday and while it was bitter cold out, but the tires worked gur-r8!

Rippin da fAt
    Sacrilege, I say!

Is there not an agency that works to prevent fatbike abuse?
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Should be able to test on snow and mixed conditions tomorrow.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Should be able to test on snow and mixed conditions tomorrow.
    Lookin forward to a snow test of these tires.

Thankya, Jayem!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1) I care about width primarily so I can estimate if a tire will fit my current bike, and if it offers a practical size differential versus my current tires.
    2) I think the market for a Godzilla sized light weight prestudded tire would be very very very small.
    3) A prestudded, tubeless tire that handles a variety of conditions like Bud and Lou? And fits lots of existing frames? Now that could be a popular tire (insofar as fat bike tires are 'popular...').
    4) If the Johnny 5 works well I'll be very excited. It's exactly the kind of tire that I've been hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    mikesee

The J5s you mounted appear to be void of studs and rear tire appears to be mounted in same direction as front. I look forward to your review on the J5s. Hopefully you can compare and contrast to Bud & Lou as well.

OT - I too am interested in the 27.5 x 4.5 CEs as to how they compare to the studded Gnars. I love the Gnars in less than 5" fresh and especially on day old crusties.

BTW - Rode Bud and Lou on 5" of freshies Sunday and while it was bitter cold out, but the tires worked gur-r8!

Hey Cal-

I ordered both studded and non-studded variants to have in inventory. When/where we ride our snowbikes the snow is deep and drifted, and if you wanted to touch ice you'd have to dig down through 15' of snow to find it. No need for studs.

When next we head up to AK or MN or WI or MI in winter no doubt we'll use studs, and I'll install some on this set at that time.

The rotating direction on the rear tire was chosen to minimize rolling resistance. With those big blocks it'll dig in/keep from spinning in our brand of soft and wind affected snow regardless, so anything to make it roll a little easier helps.

I need to sell a narrower set of Nextie wheels in the next few days so that I can build something wider on which to install/ride the CE's. I suspect they're going to be at least as good as Gnar's, possibly better than Bud/Lou. In my dreams they'd supplant the 2XL, but I think that's wishful thinking. One way to find out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What rim will you use for your CE build?

Hey Cal-

I ordered both studded and non-studded variants to have in inventory. When/where we ride our snowbikes the snow is deep and drifted, and if you wanted to touch ice you'd have to dig down through 15' of snow to find it. No need for studs.

When next we head up to AK or MN or WI or MI in winter no doubt we'll use studs, and I'll install some on this set at that time.

The rotating direction on the rear tire was chosen to minimize rolling resistance. With those big blocks it'll dig in/keep from spinning in our brand of soft and wind affected snow regardless, so anything to make it roll a little easier helps.

I need to sell a narrower set of Nextie wheels in the next few days so that I can build something wider on which to install/ride the CE's. I suspect they're going to be at least as good as Gnar's, possibly better than Bud/Lou. In my dreams they'd supplant the 2XL, but I think that's wishful thinking. One way to find out...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Lookin forward to a snow test of these tires.

Thankya, Jayem!
    One of the trails up in the mountains above the city opens for fatbikes on the 15th, should be snow, overflow ice and everything. I studded the rear with triple cutters down the middle and bikestuds on the outside, the front i did the opposite, triple cutters on the outside. We should get some more snow this weekend too, so maybe some fresh.

Rippin da fAt
    One of the trails up in the mountains above the city opens for fatbikes on the 15th, should be snow, overflow ice and everything. I studded the rear with triple cutters down the middle and bikestuds on the outside, the front i did the opposite, triple cutters on the outside. We should get some more snow this weekend too, so maybe some fresh.
    The stud patterns sound interesting for front vs. rear.
    Guess I'll just hafta stay tuned.
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The stud patterns sound interesting for front vs. rear.
    Guess I'll just hafta stay tuned.
    I got them mounted up and ready to ride to work tomorrow, it's mostly bumpy ice on the way to work right now, so that'll help to assess the stud-traction. Stupidly I realized I had the front tire mounted backwards this evening, got that sorted out. I did have to move my wheel to the rear-dropout location, which surprised me, they don't "look" all that bigger than the D5s on the same rim, but they were pretty much touching the chainstay yoke. Knob to knob now showing 123.33mm and casing width 119.63mm. Been sitting for a couple days, although only at about 11-12psi. That's a lot for a tire this big.

Rippin da fAt
    I got them mounted up and ready to ride to work tomorrow, it's mostly bumpy ice on the way to work right now, so that'll help to assess the stud-traction. Stupidly I realized I had the front tire mounted backwards this evening, got that sorted out. I did have to move my wheel to the rear-dropout location, which surprised me, they don't "look" all that bigger than the D5s on the same rim, but they were pretty much touching the chainstay yoke. Knob to knob now showing 123.33mm and casing width 119.63mm. Been sitting for a couple days, although only at about 11-12psi. That's a lot for a tire this big.
    Hella stretch tires! Nice to know that they do fill out with a little time and moderate pressure.
    I am interested in how the stud patterns perform for ya.
    What pressures are you planning to use for your commute?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The D5 is considered a 4.5 wich is average so the appeal is for people who focus on pocketed studs. Around here(Canada) they are 350$ each and for 300$ we can have a Bud or a Lou screw in 100 quality studs for more floatability, more grip in snow and enough grip on ice. Just stud 1 tire and the other the next day it is real easy, plenty of info here and on you tube.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rode to work today on them, this is mostly level, but lots of rough ice. My impression was these things take a lot of watts to turn. Compared to the D5s, these seemed to take significantly more effort to turn, whether it's greater mass further from the hub (the larger diameter) or rolling resistance. The casing seemed stiffer too. I had pressure a bit high, but not rock hard by any means. Traction on ice seemed fine, but since it's mostly level no real test could be done.

Rode after work for 20+ miles, lots of climbing on glare-ice, pock-marked frozen ice, dirt, and a tiny bit of extremely compacted snow. Climbing traction on the ice seems slightly better than the D5, like maybe 10%, not huge, but noticeable. Turning traction on ice seems better, maybe more like 15-20%. In the very very limited times when there was something resembling snow, it *seemed* like they held an edge better, but that's real hard to tell based on this ride. With a few steep glare-ice spots, most of the ride up was on severely pock-marked ice and it was constant pounding. I think the extra volume of these tires helped significantly. No doubt I could have probably done it just fine on my D5s, but again I think the bigger carcass had a noticeable effect making these conditions more tolerable. I had let out a bit more pressure and was maybe somewhere around 6-7 or so. The watts issue seemed to also be masked more, but I'm pretty sure it was still there. A large amount of the DH was on dirt...crazy Chinook winds have been blowing and the mountain valleys are largely devoid of snow. It's sad that we can't get snow in Alaska right now. But the tires handled the dirt riding just fine, maybe just a hint of self-steer. Plenty able to deal with the frozen dry ground.

The bad was that I lost about 9 studs from the rear and 2 from the front. If anything, I set the rear studs better than the front when I did it. The thing about these conditions though was that they were pretty extreme. Probably not the best for breaking in the tires and studs and some softer snow conditions might more likely help the studs seat better, rather than riding across the frozen pock-marked ice today. Luckily I have plenty extra, so I can deal with this, but hopefully it stops once I ride more on softer conditions.

I think the casing might still be a little less supple than the D5, but the bigger volume might help to mask that a bit and you should be able to get away with less pressure with these. I notice the watts to power these things, whether it's from the mass or rolling resistance. They seem to turn well and grip the ice a bit better. Riding in soft conditions will really be the key with these tires I think, but our snow that was predicted for tomorrow night looks like it's going to be rain again and who knows when it'll snow again in central Alaska...

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Jayem: Thanks for the detailed first impression
    Run the studs in by doing some easy rides on pavement (no hard braking/acceleration or cornering). This not only make them settle into the stud pockets, but there is a vulcanization process taking place as well.
    If they still shed studs, use Loctite 480. It is superglue mixed with rubber and is targeted for applications that require a little flexibility. Nokian used this for the Freddiez tires back in the day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    use Loctite 480. It is superglue mixed with rubber and is targeted for applications that require a little flexibility.
    Interesting! Thanks for the info about Loctite!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The tubeless install was fine, uses my Blackburn charger. Not overly tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Or on a groomed trail where anything from 3.8 to 4.8 works just fine without any studs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rode to work today on them, this is mostly level, but lots of rough ice. My impression was these things take a lot of watts to turn.

I think the casing might still be a little less supple than the D5, but the bigger volume ..
    So after all that typing, the bullet points to take away are:
    1.Big tires take more effort than smaller tires.
    2. Some of the studs you put in fell out

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So after all that typing, the bullet points to take away are:
    1.Big tires take more effort than smaller tires.
    2. Some of the studs you put in fell out
    You forgot f*ck global warming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You forgot f*ck global warming.
    Have you been in a coma?
    It's called Climate Change now.
    Is this Terrene's fault also?
    Damn you Johnny 5! You undersized, climate changing turd!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    correct. Terrene's Climate change bead retention is not as good as 45nrth's... :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    correct. Terrene's Climate change bead retention is not as good as 45nrth's... :P
    That's it!
    I'm jumping on the naysayer bandwagon!
    This tire that I have never seen sucks bungholes!
    And it is ruining out planet! Think of the children!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    In Montreal i just had my first ride of the season.
    Out of the garage the noise of the studs on cement.
    Then silence on 2-3 in of fresh snow.
    Bud/Lou = real fat, designed to roll often.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    it is ruining out planet! Think of the children!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    In Montreal i just had my first ride of the season.
    Out of the garage the noise of the studs on cement.
    Then silence on 2-3 in of fresh snow.
    Bud/Lou = real fat, designed to roll often.
    Cool story, bro.
    But what do your little, undersized tires have to do with the ginormous
    Johnny 5?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Johnny 5 vs Minion 4.8 studded

I ride in Fernie BC where the snow is deep and the terrain is steep. I'm currently riding Minion 4.8's studded.

The Johnny 5 looks faster, lighter and superior float.

How does it compare with the Johnny 5?

Which has superior grip?

Thanks for your beta!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fernieoldgoat View Post
    I ride in Fernie BC where the snow is deep and the terrain is steep. I'm currently riding Minion 4.8's studded.

The Johnny 5 looks faster, lighter and superior float.

How does it compare with the Johnny 5?

Which has superior grip?

Thanks for your beta!
    Well....Minions aren't great in most kinds of snow to start with.
    Not many have ridden the J5 in snow seeing it was just released.....and will it even fit on your bike?

mtbr member
    Have you been in a coma?
    Wrong, it changed to 'Climate Disruption', didn't you get the memo?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Mail service disrupted due to house under water, get floating tires rush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Wrong, it changed to 'Climate Disruption', didn't you get the memo?
    Really?
    JFC!
    FML!
    All these changes while I was out riding tires that are bigger than Johnny 5....although there's a pair of them waiting for me. So many tires now....

mtbr member
    May 2007

Minions

Well....Minions aren't great in most kinds of snow to start with.
    Not many have ridden the J5 in snow seeing it was just released.....and will it even fit on your bike?
    I differ in opinion. Studded Minions offer great snow and ice traction. They are the best winter tires that I have used. Minions also rule in summer.

If your an XC rider minions would be slower that other tires however when traction is the goal, they deliver.

The J5 will fit on my 2019 Blizzard and the price is decent, I will probably try them.

Terrene Johnny 5-minion.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I differ in opinion. ]
    If your opinion is the tire is that good.....why are you changing?
    For me....and I've tried a lot of tires over the years.....the Minions are low on the long list. But...if it works for you...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I've been riding the proverbial **** out of them, lots of drops, jumps, hard riding. We built a bunch of new DH trails this summer and although they are encased in ice and extreme hardpack (but mostly ice), I'm still having tons of fun hitting them. You hit a berm right at speed and it just locks you in if it's built right, and our rooty-drop trail has some pretty awesome traction on the off-camber roots with the big studded tires.

They are holding air great, haven't added anything since I initially filled them and I've been running them pretty soft for the conditions, just enough that I won't have a rim-strike when I case a double or tabletop. They did use quite a bit of sealant due to the size, so that's something to consider, I still think turning and ice traction is significantly better than a D5, almost "next level", not a dramatic different to say that you could go 2x as fast or lean 2x as hard, but enough to start a new benchmark. No idea about soft conditions, it just keeps raining in Alaska...and then it freezes.

Stud loss has seemed to stabilize with more riding, don't seem to be losing anymore, although during the first couple rides I did. Would have been best to probably use adhesive with each stud, but that would have been a major PITA logistically. For the ones I've replaced I used loctite.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks for the reports, Jayem!

While it does take some time for studs to seat as well as soap/lube used for insertion to dry so they stay put. It sounds like a few got away and otherwise have been reliable.
    I think these tires are superior to D5 in terms of tread pattern and depth.
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Really good today on ice. Definitely more solid on this than D5s, although my D5s are pretty old. The J5 packs a ton more studs in the center though, where you need them. Did some practice stops and tripod turns, all in all, damn good and significantly better.

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099873.jpg

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099924.jpg

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099945.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    How were the trails out at mirror lake? Iíve yet to make it out there at all. Maybe this weekend if itís not too snotty outside...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    How were the trails out at mirror lake? Iíve yet to make it out there at all. Maybe this weekend if itís not too snotty outside...
    The main stuff is ok, generally more traction than Hillside STA, but lumpier due to much more frost-heaving. Blue, green and red loops good. Purple loop still poor, do not recommend. They got more snow than we did, but it looks to have been drier snow and it's compacted down to almost nothing and the frost-heaves are the main thing. I posted a video in the "did you ride today" thread in Passion and there's a short part with some of the singletrack. It's not bad, just a diversion from Anchorage with some frozen lake thrown in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Who can compare with Buds/Lous?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Really good today on ice. Definitely more solid on this than D5s, although my D5s are pretty old. The J5 packs a ton more studs in the center though, where you need them. Did some practice stops and tripod turns, all in all, damn good and significantly better.

Name:	G0099873.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	1225903

Name:	G0099924.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	1225904

Name:	G0099945.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	1225905
    What rolls faster, the D5ís or the J5ís?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenyasun View Post
    Who can compare with Buds/Lous?
    Around here 1 guy just installed them today to replace Bud/Lou. But it might be 2 weeks to put in a few rides and report. I will let you know his appreciation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Around here 1 guy just installed them today to replace Bud/Lou. But it might be 2 weeks to put in a few rides and report. I will let you know his appreciation.
    Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    What rolls faster, the D5ís or the J5ís?
    No question, D5s. J5s donít feel horribly slow though and Iíve run tires before that I couldnít stand because of how slow they rolled. The harder the conditions the less it matters. Casing still seems a bit less supple, not bad by any means though.

Massive traction on ice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Basicaly if Bud/Lou fit your frame and fork J5 will.
    1807 gr
    more report after some rides...

just ride
    why is it relevant? Because i jumped on the tires when they first came out. the bead retention was sh!t. anything under 13psi would constantly burp from the sidewalls. tried on 3 different sets of rims. installed hodags, fbf, fbr, & gnarwhals on same rims, tires good to less than 2 psi. after multiple attempts, lackluster response from the company. emailed the president, he didn't care either. after getting frustrated, i sent the tires packing. i am done with the company, UNLESS someone else tries a new product and raves about it. then maybe, i will plunk down my $. /rant

fyi: local terrene rep told me WTB makes the tires.
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way.

Oh, and WTB does not make our tires. We use a factory that also produces some WTB product, but also tires for 10 other major brand names as well.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

just ride
    Can you let us know who this local rep is? We need to have a chat..... WTB does not make our tires, and if someone is saying that, we need to correct it.

just ride
    Precisely the reason we spend very little time here now. Would love to spend more time here helping customers and answering questions, but sorting through the drivel is like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-serious.jpg  

just ride
    Have you been in a coma?
    Damn you Johnny 5! You undersized, climate changing turd!
    We accept fault for all climate change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Thank you for accepting the fault.
    Although I have a set of J5s waiting to be picked up....I hate the unseen tires.
    That is until I get them...then I will go on and on about them.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way.
    Good to hear, pm sent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So the question is, with fresh powder in the anchorage bowl do they have traction when the ground shakes.....

Hope the Alaska guys in the thread all made it out unscathed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The good news is the new snow has done great things for fat bike traction. But after 200 aftershocks, they are starting to get really annoying.
    Latitude 61

Rippin da fAt
    That's great but what about this new snow that is imported from China?

Will there be a more supple version of the J5 in the future?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    The good news is the new snow has done great things for fat bike traction. But after 200 aftershocks, they are starting to get really annoying.
    I hear ya, only two woke me last night then there was the little shimmy a few minutes ago.

Worst part, the fat bike is in pieces. Weather has been garbage enough it was time for a tear down and repair. Yesterday was supposed to be the rebuild day, instead it was clean up broken glass and fix the generator day.

Hope to be testing j5s mid week next week, granted the snow level is doable with current tires.

What rim will you use for your CE build?

I have a set of the new ENVE's en route.

My wife and I both have custom Meriwether fatbikes, running 2XL's on 105's for the past few seasons. Max float.

I pulled her 2XL's off a few weeks ago and mounted up a set of J5's.

I also have a set of 27.5 x 4.5" Cake Eater's I'm going to mount to a set of the new ENVE B Fat wheels.

That way we can do side by side/back to back tests in our particular brand of light/dry snow the next few weeks.

I won't be able to produce numbers of graphs to prove anything to anyone's satisfaction. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if there are differences in float and efficiency when switching back and forth amongst them.

Stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My wife and I both have custom Meriwether fatbikes, running 2XL's on 105's for the past few seasons. Max float.

I pulled her 2XL's off a few weeks ago and mounted up a set of J5's.

I also have a set of 27.5 x 4.5" Cake Eater's I'm going to mount to a set of the new ENVE B Fat wheels.

That way we can do side by side/back to back tests in our particular brand of light/dry snow the next few weeks.

I won't be able to produce numbers of graphs to prove anything to anyone's satisfaction. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if there are differences in float and efficiency when switching back and forth amongst them.

Stay tuned...
    This will be interesting to read,,, especially if you do a blind test.
    I am sure you will include weight of rider.

This will be interesting to read,,, especially if you do a blind test.
    I am sure you will include weight of rider.

Good idea. What brand of blindfolds do you recommend? Something over 5" ideally?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good idea. What brand of blindfolds do you recommend? Something over 5" ideally?
    Five point zero ought to do it for the blindfold. Looking forward to the write up! Iím considering the J5 and CE4.5 versus my current setup of grip studs in bud and Lou. Bud and Lou just have such a great tread pattern when the going gets soft... bud in particular, steers so good. And the casing in bud and Lou is really nice when you nail the air pressure.

EFIT: needing sealant to run B+L tubeless is annoying but Iíve had good luck with them tubeless on multiple rims. With that said, I consider the tubeless-readiness a point in favor of the Terrene options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, I did my best to read this thread and try to find the word "Bluto" in it somewhere and couldn't...So my question is, does this tire clear the Bluto arch on an 80-85mm wide rim? Asking for a friend. Anyone, Bueller? Bueller?

mtbr member
    I do not have them but do have a Bud, which people say is the same or slightly larger. It clears my Bluto below 20psi on 100mm rim, but not above that pressure. You should be fine on only an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Currently running the Bud on an 85mm, yes it clears (barely) but it don't leave a lot of room either. For the kind of coin we're talking about here, I'd feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about ordering a set of these if I knew for certain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Currently running the Bud on an 85mm, yes it clears (barely) but it don't leave a lot of room either. For the kind of coin we're talking about here, I'd feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about ordering a set of these if I knew for certain...
    I have J5s mounted on 80mm Mulfuts. Just stuck it in a Bluto I have sitting around. Itís tight but fits, Iíd have no problem running it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I have J5s mounted on 80mm Mulfuts. Just stuck it in a Bluto I have sitting around. Itís tight but fits, Iíd have no problem running it.

BAM!!!!!!! Love this place. Thank you.

Had a chance to try these tires (I'm referring to the studded version, which is what I wish to buy) in their intended terrain yet by chance??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Best post on the interwebz today!
    In other news....I finally picked up my J5s.
    My initial professional analysis is that they are big black tires with studs that came in a bigger tan cardboard box. Seeing all the snow and ice melted here just north of Boston...it will be a while before I ride them. But when I do...from past experience with other tires, I bet they will work like tires do.

Best post on the interwebz today!
    In other news....I finally picked up my J5s.
    My initial professional analysis is that they are big black tires with studs that came in a bigger tan cardboard box. Seeing all the snow and ice melted here just north of Boston...it will be a while before I ride them. But when I do...from past experience with other tires, I bet they will work like tires do.

You can't prove any of this. Idolator!

mtbr member
    Iím north west of Boston too, and got my J5s before the snow came (and went).
    I got to ride them in the 5-8Ē inches of mushy snow and thought they worked quite well. I have studded Dilenger 5s and in soft conditions, as expected the J5s are much better.
    Also got out on one of the cold mornings when things set up a bit and they did great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You can't prove any of this. Idolator!
    Guy...you have to take off that blindfold. Or put on the blind fold...then take it off. Or...
    I'm so confused.
    Imma going downstairs and analyze the J5s and the box they came in.

Guy...you have to take off that blindfold. Or put on the blind fold...then take it off. Or...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Damn it! I didn't even click on the link....but that song is gonna be stuck in my head on today's ride....which won't be on the over analyzed J5s

mtbr member
    May 2007

Terrene Johnny 5's test

I've been ridding my studded Johnny 5's for several days and i'm convinced they are the ultimate fat bike soft snow tire. In Fernie we ride steep Black Diamond trails in loose snow and the Johnny 5's offer the best traction of any tire I've tried, up and down!

I've tried the tires with air pressure ranging from 4 to 8lbs and have settled on 6lbs as my preferred pressure.

They are mounted on a Industry 9 Big Rig 90mm rim and are measuring 4.85 inches. My 19' Rocky has no issue with the size.

The Johnny 5's tread pattern and volume are very effective in maintaining float and tracking in loose snow conditions.

I haven't experienced a melt freeze cycle to date so no ice however I'm certain the 320 studs/tire will be effective.

I've been fat biking for close to a decade and have tried many tires. Terrene's Johnny 5 climbing steeps and descends faster than any other tires I've tried.

The gang at Terrene Tires clearly understands fat biking and tire design. I highly recommend giving their product a try!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've been ridding my studded Johnny 5's for several days and i'm convinced they are the ultimate fat bike soft snow tire. In Fernie we ride steep Black Diamond trails in loose snow and the Johnny 5's offer the best traction of any tire I've tried, up and down!

I've tried the tires with air pressure ranging from 4 to 8lbs and have settled on 6lbs as my preferred pressure.

They are mounted on a Industry 9 Big Rig 90mm rim and are measuring 4.85 inches. My 19' Rocky has no issue with the size.

The Johnny 5's tread pattern and volume are very effective in maintaining float and tracking in loose snow conditions.

I haven't experienced a melt freeze cycle to date so no ice however I'm certain the 320 studs/tire will be effective.

I've been fat biking for close to a decade and have tried many tires. Terrene's Johnny 5 climbing steeps and descends faster than any other tires I've tried.

The gang at Terrene Tires clearly understands fat biking and tire design. I highly recommend giving their product a try!
    What were your last winter tires before installing that pair?
    So they are great off trails?
    also off camber?
    the front allways tracks?
    What are the negatives?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    6psi? How much do you weight - that seems really high for a tire that size. My operating range is in the 2-4 range with smaller tires, but Iím only 145 pounds. 6psi would be unridable for a tire like that in soft snow (for me).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast