Casing Ė 123.43mm

Tread Ė 122.41mm

Overall Height Ė 30.1996 inches

Overall Front Wheel Weight Ė 2930g

Tread Depth

Outer Shoulder Knobs Ė 6.6mm

Middle Knobs Ė 6.25mm

Center Knobs Ė 5mm

The Johnny 5ís are 1.4mm wider and .1429 of an inch shorter than the Lou.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Comparing their weights to the 1563g/1508g Surly Bud/Lou the J5ís are quite a bit heavier. https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-we...for-fat-bikes/

What I found on the Veetire site and if Iím reading it correctly, the cream PSC tire is 1740g. If that is accurate than the J5ís are even more similar to a front end loader tire than the heavy, slow rolling 2XL. What is the point of the J5ís? The 2XL appears to be lighter and it is much certainly wider and taller and offers much better float.
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/f...-snowshoe-2xl/

Itís such a shame that developing and manufacturing rubber tires is so difficult like rocket science or brain surgery. Just think, maybe sometime like 50 years into the future we could have some company in Asia just build a bigger version of a Surly Lou or Jumbo Jim. A tire with large volume and a thin case that doesnít use heavy equipment tire technology like the 2XL and the J5ís. But alas, one can only dream. Rubber tire technology is just too much like alchemy and unless the proper number of goats are sacrificed on the 3rd full moon, coinciding with the highest red tide during the year of the chicken, fat bike float progression is stalled out for the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It might be simple.
    Drop the font rubber.
    Just attach a 7 in wide ski at the fork.
    A heavy rider would float.
    A light rider like me would use it to open some trails after a snow fall.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Comparing their weights to the 1563g/1508g Surly Bud/Lou the J5ís are quite a bit heavier. https://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-we...for-fat-bikes/

What I found on the Veetire site and if Iím reading it correctly, the cream PSC tire is 1740g. If that is accurate than the J5ís are even more similar to a front end loader tire than the heavy, slow rolling 2XL. What is the point of the J5ís? The 2XL appears to be lighter and it is much certainly wider and taller and offers much better float.
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/f...-snowshoe-2xl/
    I ordered a pair of 2XLs during Vee's recent sale and they both measure an identical 1906g. So, there's obviously quite a bit of variability in the weight of these big tires, and the website's listing is on the low side. Being substantially bigger than the competition (and with the noted 2-ply casing and large lugs) the higher actual weight isn't too surprising...

rth009
    May 2010
    Thus, after all these new tires over the last few years, Bud and Lou still reign supreme for soft snow. Add some grip studs and you have great performance in deep snow and glare ice.

All hail Bud and Lou!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Thus, after all these new tires over the last few years, Bud and Lou still reign supreme for soft snow. Add some grip studs and you have great performance in deep snow and glare ice.

All hail Bud and Lou!
    For sure.
    It is funny we read that this or that tire is great in winter.
    The reason riders like them a lot is because they tried riding in the snow with summer tires.
    I only have 2 years of fat/mountainbiking but i climb where others are limited by their tires.
    A rider i know sold his fat that had Bud/Lou, he just had to buy another pair after trying a different brand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, after all these years, I'm somewhat surprised Bud & Lou have not been dethroned as the best all around soft/unpacked snow tire.

Will once again be swapping out the Jumbo Jim 4.8 tires for Bud & Lou this winter. I run them tubeless on Mulefut rims. Even though they lack stud pockets, I feel no motivation whatsoever to replace them with the (reportedly) heavy Johnny 5s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    For sure.
    It is funny we read that this or that tire is great in winter.
    The reason riders like them a lot is because they tried riding in the snow with summer tires.
    I only have 2 years of fat/mountainbiking but i climb where others are limited by their tires.
    A rider i know sold his fat that had Bud/Lou, he just had to buy another pair after trying a different brand.
    Bud and Lou still are fantastic! The only tire I feel comes close in terms of traction(apart from possibly VEE 2XL which I have never tried) is the Bontrager Gnarwhal 27.5 x 4.5. Better on ice because of studs but just(and I mean just) slightly inferior in deeper snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I just like to ride often, the 4.8 on 90 mm floats, the grippy Bud/Lou loves snow, with screw in studs i ride alone in confidence at minus 35. It might look expensive but hitting a tree is not on my top list. They last for seasons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Terrene Johnny 5-13350493-4149-4ad5-896a-a334608af556.jpg
    Terrene Johnny 5-747165e3-4126-4e15-9f5c-64619ca65318.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me so I weighed one of my 2XLís on a scale we use at work. I zeroíd the scale out before weighing and was surprised to see how much heavier my tire was than their stated weight, 4.5 lbs or 2040 grams. No wonder they are so fricking slow.

Last winter I went to Anchorage for a few days and had switched out to my grip studded bud/Lou as I figured I wouldnít need much if any floation on their trails. They were way faster and easier to pedal than the heavy ass and stiff 2XLís. I run 4.8 JJís in the summer and they are a dream to pedal but I didnít like them in snow as I put them on early this past spring and they donít provide much traction in mashed potato conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My world just needs these to ship in time to have them prepped for the first snow...

mtbr member
    Both this thread and the 2XL thread often leave me wondering how people are using these big tires. I have two fatties, one normal and the other thatís made to handle these humongous heavy tires on 100MM wide rims. Yes the big bike is considerably slow, but Iíve put it to use in deep sand and deep snow that has not been touched. Keeps me riding in conditions a normal fat bike will not handle. One canít expect these to go fast, but being the guy that can actually groom a trail with little hike a bike activity is fantastic. The alternative is to use my normal bike and walk frequenty. Since the 2XL doesnít have stud pockets those riding like I do that need studs may find this new tire fantastic. For others using rims under 100MM looking for lightweight and speed Iím thinking most already have what they need. To me the bottom line on the 5.0+ tires is sacrificing speed for the sake of not having to get off and push. Thatís been my experience for two years now on these 2XL Ďs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Both this thread and the 2XL thread often leave me wondering how people are using these big tires. I have two fatties, one normal and the other thatís made to handle these humongous heavy tires on 100MM wide rims. Yes the big bike is considerably slow, but Iíve put it to use in deep sand and deep snow that has not been touched. Keeps me riding in conditions a normal fat bike will not handle. One canít expect these to go fast, but being the guy that can actually groom a trail with little hike a bike activity is fantastic. The alternative is to use my normal bike and walk frequenty. Since the 2XL doesnít have stud pockets those riding like I do that need studs may find this new tire fantastic. For others using rims under 100MM looking for lightweight and speed Iím thinking most already have what they need. To me the bottom line on the 5.0+ tires is sacrificing speed for the sake of not having to get off and push. Thatís been my experience for two years now on these 2XL Ďs.
    A rider who is allways on a fat, i mean year round wrote that the 27.5 are slow to accelerate compared to the 26. Like you mention different tires have different qualities and depending of our weight, where we ride, what we enjoy we try to select a pair that is a good match. Like you in a year or 2 if i have room for them i might have a huge fat to pedal instead of putting on my snowshoes. I will be retired and out there everyday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfisherman View Post
    My world just needs these to ship in time to have them prepped for the first snow...
    First snow? Already happened! But not enough to need 5" tires yet So I survived with the 4.0" Jumbo Jims I use for commuting and getting coffee Terrene Johnny 5-img_4832.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post
    First snow? Already happened! [/ATTACH]
    i am both excited, and sad at the same time... :P

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Hmm.. from
    https://fat-bike.com/2018/09/product...-26x5-0-tires/

''.....developing to give Ďthe Surlyí Bud & Lou a run for their money as far as holding the title as the biggest and most aggressive fat-bike tires available (in the WORLD!) This new tire would be nothing short of World Fat-Bike Tire Domination according to Tim.''

But... back in 2016 on the same website:
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/01/vee-tir...idterm-report/
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-17-2018 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Actually, I very much share your targeted use for these big tires. I've got a three-season carbon fatbike with Jumbo Jims on 65mm rims, and I just completed an RSD Mayor build with the express purpose of maximizing my winter fun on 100mm/2XLs. I also have a pair of grip studded Bud & Lou's ready if it gets icy, though. Walking is great fun, just not when I'm riding my bikes! I live in New Jersey now, but I'm originally from Michigan (your neck of the woods?) and will be driving out to visit family for the holidays, so I plan to bring the Mayor along with the hope of finding some white stuff to ride in.

mtbr member
    Yes, SE Michigan. Occasionally get up north once in a while too

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Hmm.. from
    https://fat-bike.com/2018/09/product...-26x5-0-tires/

''.....developing to give Ďthe Surlyí Bud & Lou a run for their money as far as holding the title as the biggest and most aggressive fat-bike tires available (in the WORLD!) This new tire would be nothing short of World Fat-Bike Tire Domination according to Tim.''

But... back in 2016 on the same website:
    https://fat-bike.com/2016/01/vee-tir...idterm-report/
    Thanks for the links, those photos show beyond any doubt that the J5 is a 4.8Ē size tire and not a viable replacement for the 2XL. Thatís unfortunate, hopefully something lighter in the 5+ size will come out at some point. Iím glad I didnít order them sight unseen as Iíd have been greatly disappointed.

This place needs an enema
    Thanks for the links, those photos show beyond any doubt that the J5 is a 4.8Ē size tire and not a viable replacement for the 2XL. Thatís unfortunate, hopefully something lighter in the 5+ size will come out at some point. Iím glad I didnít order them sight unseen as Iíd have been greatly disappointed.

It's almost, kinda, sorta like you're disappointed because your expectations were based on incorrect assumptions.

Which is definitely Terrene's fault -- and may they hang for it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It's almost, kinda, sorta like you're disappointed because your expectations were based on incorrect assumptions.

Which is definitely Terrene's fault -- and may they hang for it...
    It could have been 4.99999" and we still would have heard "but it's not 5..."

And how do we know how wide it is? Measurements, not a picture.

Terrene should change the name. How about "Johnny 5 (ish)"?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    It could have been 4.99999" and we still would have heard "but it's not 5..."

And how do we know how wide it is? Measurements, not a picture.

Terrene should change the name. How about "Johnny 5 (ish)"?

My point is that (s)he, like others in this thread, assumed that Terrene was bringing a 2XL competitor to market. I have yet to find where Terrene ever stated anything other than that they were targeting Bud/Lou.

And, that said, the measurements we have thus far appear to be from unridden and unstretched tires. We don't yet know that they're sub-5", yet many here have lost their minds and cashed in their chips even though the season hasn't yet begun. Cray cray.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How many photos does one need to view to see they arenít even close to being 5Ē wide?

Name:  6D42D0D2-22E1-4BCE-B37F-CADC0D5C1776.jpeg
Views: 1900
Size:  39.5 KB
    Pathetic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The article you got that picture from measured them at a fairly low pressure to be 4.86" wide. By most accounts that would be pretty close to 5" especially since, as has been pointed out several times, they will stretch with use. Although I suspect that tires this heavy might not stretch much, then again 3% would do it..
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They can be honest.
    They can write in HUGE LETTERS, do not order if your fork and frame cannot take a real 5 in tire on Xmm rim.
    Until then they have that non honest sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will this tire fit my bike....which has blue grips?

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Will this tire fit my bike....which has blue grips?

You're hosed. Plus only toolbags use blue grips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week.
    PS....blue grips are SOOOOOOOO enduro, bro.
    Don't you even enduro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    1800 without spikes? =(((

poser Administrator
    please bicker elsewhere.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Squ-eti
    So, the fat bike market is dwindling, but a company is still willing to invest the time and resources to create a new product(which doesn't have a single real world review yet), and all people wanna do is beat the product and company down for theoretically not delivering their magical, unicorn tire? SMDH. Ya'll a tough crowd.

It's not easy to make a true 6" tire that only weighs 1000 grams, fits every fat bike ever made, could run over a bed of nails and not flat, has the rolling resistance of a 700x23 at 120 psi, and will last 10-20 years of daily use.

"Malfunction. Need input!"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    So, the fat bike market is dwindling, but a company is still willing to invest the time and resources to create a new product(which doesn't have a single real world review yet), and all people wanna do is beat the product and company down for theoretically not delivering their magical, unicorn tire? SMDH. Ya'll a tough crowd.

It's not easy to make a true 6" tire that only weighs 1000 grams, fits every fat bike ever made, could run over a bed of nails and not flat, has the rolling resistance of a 700x23 at 120 psi, and will last 10-20 years of daily use.

Make it tubeless and $50 and SOLD!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post

Plus studs. And reflective sidewalls. And a pony.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Nice with added options in a tire market that has been sorta stagnant lately.
    Plus, these are the biggest fatbike tires ever, according to the fat-bike.com article/test, so that is cool.

Edit: Just noticed ''ultralight casing'' on the sidewall.
    That is great news, since even if the total weight of the tire is rather high, a lot of that weight is likely in the knobs, where the weight will do much less damage to rolling/grip/flotation performance (in soft to medium conditions) than if the same weight/amount of rubber has been applied to make a stiff and heavy casing instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Mike..... dont settle for the reflective sidewalls and a pony. Hold out for glow in the dark and a unicorn.

Espen, this is a serious question regarding tread block design. Why do bike tire manufacturers (especially it seems terrene) go for such large tread blocks so close together. I get that some blocks have stud pockets and others are siped. But it seems that for what the human body can produce in torque we have more rubber than is necessary.

Take the bud Lou combo, they have much thinner tread blocks but few people complain about blowing tread off of them. In other tire/track related hobbies tread depth and thickness are determined by power. These appear to be capable of absorbing Lance Armstrong power at the height of his doping, while on a hacked e scooter bike.

With all that said, still looking forward to them showing up in the mail some time in October. Going to need to buy more studs since these have a few more pockets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sure would have been helpful to have that in a sticky somewhere so I didn't make that mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    No. It's a startup company owned by 2 guys not associated with WTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    I can't imagine two guys in a garage making their own tire molds and compounds. There is some contract tire manufacturer doing the actual tire making and it's not the two guys who started the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Sorry man but there is no way WTB is big enough to have their own tire factory. Perhaps Terrene has some help from an ex WTB guy or something, but your statement is wrong.
    WTB's high-end TCS tires are made by Innova, so WTB isn't exactly making them, but perhaps they're sharing some development work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    J5 1900gr~4.8 VS 1500gr45nrth wratchild~4.4...hmm

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sadness View Post
    J5 1900gr~4.8 VS 1500gr45nrth wratchild~4.4...hmm
    so the sake of accuracy, the Wrathchild 4.6 is 1420 grams without studs, 1500 w/ standard (not XL) concave studs. They are in fact 4.461" wide, measured on a 80mm rim.

I still want to see the J5 in person. Terrene has some decent compounds, so we shall see what people's impressions are once they are out there.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Mike..... dont settle for the reflective sidewalls and a pony. Hold out for glow in the dark and a unicorn.

Espen, this is a serious question regarding tread block design. Why do bike tire manufacturers (especially it seems terrene) go for such large tread blocks so close together. I get that some blocks have stud pockets and others are siped. But it seems that for what the human body can produce in torque we have more rubber than is necessary.

Take the bud Lou combo, they have much thinner tread blocks but few people complain about blowing tread off of them.
    Studs require a solid foundation for them to work efficiently.
    The knob must be stiff enough to drive the stud into the ice at the correct angle, under drive/braking forces.
    A thin and tall knob will deflect and not let the stud do its job.
    My 2XL prototypes were studded, and the studs barely work, in addition to stud bases poking out throug the sides of many of the knobs, so I recommended that Vee went unstudded for production.

Terrene likely wanted a firm foundation for the knobs, in addition to a paddle like knob shape for drive and braking traction in powder. That means meaty and heavy knobs, but as mentioned, if the side walls are thin, the tire will likely be much better/faster in soft/medium condition snow than a similar weight tire with thick sidewalls.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Espen, blast you and your logical reasoning! Grrrraaaaarrrrgggh

/sarcasm
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What do you think? Jonny5 fit specialized fatboy carbon frame on 85mm Hed Big Deal? I think they would be~120mm at 85?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sadness View Post
    What do you think? Jonny5 fit specialized fatboy carbon frame on 85mm Hed Big Deal? I think they would be~120mm at 85?
    iirc, fatboys can fit bud/lou, so i don't see why the j5 won't fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Here we are clipping along days in October. Is terrene usually good about deadlines? And when they say "october" is it usually the 1st or 31st.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When bike companies say October, you don't ask which day you ask which year.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    My dealer was told they are targeting October 24th for release... how many are released and to whom, that is the question..

Elitest thrill junkie
    They haven't shipped their triple-cutter studs yet either...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Here we are clipping along days in October. Is terrene usually good about deadlines? And when they say "october" is it usually the 1st or 31st.

I preordered these a few weeks back. ETA given then was 10/24.

Got an email from them just now asking for payment. Today is 10/23. Terrene generally won't accept (or ask for) payment until they have tires in inventory, ready to ship.

Will update this when I get a tracking #.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They are live on the website people. I plan to order a pair, but waiting for that "same name discount".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bump - shipped 10/24 means delivered by now, yes? Who's got em?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My pair of J5 shipped to Moscow =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    This thread is freaking killing me!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Pre ordered a pair, no word from the outfit as of yet. Wife was sending pics of snow yesterday, so it's time for studs...
    T minus 2 days to make the October deadline. For as tight lipped as they have been the Hope was they would actually pull it off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a tracking number. Should be here Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentpushrod View Post
    I have a tracking number. Should be here Friday.
    I guess you know you should not roll at all untill the studs are in.
    Other wise small gravel in the holes might become problematic.
    Good luck with them meeting your expectations.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yup, shipping now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Pre ordered a pair, no word from the outfit as of yet. Wife was sending pics of snow yesterday, so it's time for studs...
    T minus 2 days to make the October deadline. For as tight lipped as they have been the Hope was they would actually pull it off.
    Yep. Have studs ready to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thinking of setting these up on a set of Fatboy 90 mm wheels I have. Iíll need to relace the front rim to a 150, as the Fatboy came with a 135 hub. They will go on my Big Fat Dummy. The BFD has The MOBD wheelset which is very nice, but only 80 mm. A much cheaper way than building up a new wheelset with 100 mm rims. Iíve run the Fatboy wheels with split tubes since Ď15 and they have worked great.

mtbr member
    My tracking number says Thursday... not much in the way of snow around here right now (not complaining) so no hurry.

I need to decide on a stud pattern, didnít think I would want a full set for the riding I do so I picked the DIY option...

mtbr member
    Quick update... my tires are 1700 and 1726 grams with a bead to bead width of 263mm.

The sidewall feels about like a Schwalbe snakeskin vs the much lighter ones on my Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x2.8. The cakes have the same ďultralight 120tpiĒ printed on the sidewall. Also the lugs are massive.

Not exactly sure when I will get them mounted up.

I got 2 big boxes of 'em today too, studded and not.

Still peak fall colors and hero dirt so not much need as yet. Might get a set mounted and stretching next week...

...or maybe i'll just keep enjoying the hero dirt for awhile...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iím guessing those are unstudded weights?

Quote Originally Posted by flowby2wheels View Post
    Quick update... my tires are 1700 and 1726 grams with a bead to bead width of 263mm.

The sidewall feels about like a Schwalbe snakeskin vs the much lighter ones on my Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x2.8. The cakes have the same ďultralight 120tpiĒ printed on the sidewall. Also the lugs are massive.

Not exactly sure when I will get them mounted up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Iím guessing those are unstudded weights?
    Yes. I wasnít sure I wanted a full set of studs so I wanted the option of picking my own pattern.

Seemed to be an extra $40 plus time in the worst case of fully studding with Terrene studs... and I will probably do less and/or mix in some or all of the 6.0mm bikestud.com ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just got one mounted, and bikestuds concave studs installed. Mounted on a Fatboy 90 mm rim. Took a quick photo left to right is a 27.5x3.8 Hodag mounted to an 80 mm rim. Next is a 26x4.3 Surly Edna on an 80 mm rim. On the right is the J5 on a 90 mm rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-2ab20210-befd-4ea8-b2f8-97f3c9b11e55.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentpushrod View Post
    Just got one mounted, and bikestuds concave studs installed. Mounted on a Fatboy 90 mm rim. Took a quick photo left to right is a 27.5x3.8 Hodag mounted to an 80 mm rim. Next is a 26x4.3 Surly Edna on an 80 mm rim. On the right is the J5 on a 90 mm rim.
    How high is it? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Heck with that. We need an answer to the question that burned up quite a bit of this thread. How wide is it?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Iíll get a height measurement tomorrow when I do the front. Battery is dead on my calipers, but it looks to be 4.75 inches wide by the ruler on the caliper. That is measured from outer lug to outer lug. Tubeless at 15 psi on 90 mm rims. I expect them to stretch a bit.

Have the back mounted in my Big Fat Dummy, tons of frame clearance, but I had to truncate the cassette due to chain line interference. Removed three smallest cogs, spaced the cassette out. Need longer b screw, and longer limit screws to make it all work. So now instead of it a 2x11 itís a 2x8. I may go 1x for the winter, run a 30 tooth outer ring, my be able to add one or two cogs back to the cassette.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thatís going to be perfect width for my setups.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flowby2wheels View Post

Thanks!
    263mm is right in there with the other true 4.8s.
    I usually measure Jumbo Jim 4.8 to 265mm
    Bud/Lou 260mm
    Snowshoe XL 260mm

The 2XL, though usually comes in at a hair under 300mm (298-299mm typically)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How do the J5ís compare in weight and flexibility to bud/Louís?

How do the J5ís compare in weight and flexibility to bud/Louís?

The holidays are approaching so they're trying to pre-lose the extra few pounds around their middle, largely by attending nightly hot yoga classes. Which is also helping with their flexibility.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    The holidays are approaching so they're trying to pre-lose the extra few pounds around their middle, largely by attending nightly hot yoga classes. Which is also helping with their flexibility.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My J5ís measure 30 3/8Ē high.

Just got around to unboxing my order.

Unstudded J5's were all between 1710 and 1724g.

Studded were all between 1825 and 1835g.

I have one set installed on a set of 105mm rims, tubeless, at ~16psi. Will let 'em stretch for several days and maybe even take them for a few rides before measuring casing dims.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Perspective, sometimes an inch makes all the difference.
    I'm here for the magic show. Fat-in-Fundy please one more.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    I'm here for the magic show. Fat-in-Fundy please one more.
    Well maybe after the next beer run, enough "magic" in this thread already though I think!
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Just got mine today, it weighed in at 1704 grams, haven't mounted it yet but this tire looks pretty solid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got mine today too, going to have to install the studs though, so might get them mounted by this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Snowed about 4Ē here with 30 mph winds, so some pretty good drifts. Dry, light snow, temps around 15 F tonight. Went for a ride, running 7 psi, as Iím 250 lbs, and the Big Fat Dummy is 60 lbs. Could have maybe dropped a few more psi, but they performed pretty well. They seemed to hold pretty well in corners, not washing out like my Ground Controls. Big lugs have lots of bite, great traction. One ride isnít enough for a final verdict by far, but my initial impressions are good. I think these tires are going to be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Got mine today too, going to have to install the studs though, so might get them mounted by this weekend.
    Do they come with the studs unmounted?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Do they come with the studs unmounted?
    No, you can order them studded or unstudded. I chose the former and bought studs from Bikestuds and Terrene, a mix.

I have the J5's mounted tubeless on 105mm singlewall rims. Unridden as yet. They've been mounted at ~15psi for a few days, stretching. 30.5" tall and 125mm wide at this point. Should grow a bit once ridden -- both in width and height.

For comparison, I have 2XL's mounted tubeless on the same 105mm singlewall rims. They've been ridden for 2 seasons now, thus they should be as stretched as possible. 31.1" tall and 128mm wide.

And finally, a well-stretched Bud on a 90mm rim at same pressure is 30.2" tall and 115mm wide.

10 day forecast is for sun, sun, and more sun, so no riding on any of these imminent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the J5's mounted tubeless on 105mm singlewall rims. Unridden as yet. They've been mounted at ~15psi for a few days, stretching. 30.5" tall and 125mm wide at this point. Should grow a bit once ridden -- both in width and height.
    That's only 4.92126 inches! What a rip off! How dare they call that a 5 incher!

In reality, I wonder how many bikes it will actually fit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just ordered a set online as local outfit just quoted another 3-5 weeks, so hopefully next week I'm filling stud pockets.

My guess is at winter pressures on average sized rims they will fit on most 197 rear bikes just like bud and Lou. My minions grew, but nothing like the colossus tires did. Guessing the lug type holds the tire in place a bit more. Folks with 80-90mm rims will likely do fine, guys who have 105s will already likely have a bike with extra clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just ordered a set online as local outfit just quoted another 3-5 weeks, so hopefully next week I'm filling stud pockets.

My guess is at winter pressures on average sized rims they will fit on most 197 rear bikes just like bud and Lou. My minions grew, but nothing like the colossus tires did. Guessing the lug type holds the tire in place a bit more. Folks with 80-90mm rims will likely do fine, guys who have 105s will already likely have a bike with extra clearance.
    Good luck. From my experience my studded Bud/Lou now 20 months on 90mm are filling my Fatboy so any wider would be touchy. Being heavier the Terrene might not fit my bike or real tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

For comparison, I have 2XL's mounted tubeless on the same 105mm singlewall rims. They've been ridden for 2 seasons now, thus they should be as stretched as possible. 31.1" tall and 128mm wide.

And finally, a well-stretched Bud on a 90mm rim at same pressure is 30.2" tall and 115mm wide.

10 day forecast is for sun, sun, and more sun, so no riding on any of these imminent.
    Helpful post, thanks. Do you know how Bud measures on those 105s?

Helpful post, thanks. Do you know how Bud measures on those 105s?

Nope, never had Bud on those rims.

mtbr member
    That's only 4.92126 inches! What a rip off! How dare they call that a 5 incher!

In reality, I wonder how many bikes it will actually fit?
    Funny, the gnashing of teeth from those SURE the pictures PROVED beyond a doubt the tires were falsely advertised. (hint for those: some ketchup may help the crow go down)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Funny, the gnashing of teeth from those SURE the pictures PROVED beyond a doubt the tires were falsely advertised. (hint for those: some ketchup may help the crow go down)
    If you can't trust pictures and anonymous people on the interwebz....then who can you trust?

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you can't trust pictures and anonymous people on the interwebz....then who can you trust?
    Well, anything posted by Abraham Lincoln for one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well, anything posted by Abraham Lincoln for one.
    I only trust if it was before that sex change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Johnny 5 in the wild. Loving this tire, 5 inches or not, itís all good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-f1b29ab5-4678-43c1-9c48-de28fe064b36.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Seriously! I heard about this train wreck of a thread, just had to stop by to take a look and wow, what a friggin nightmare.

May the snow fly sooner than the sensibilities present in this thread!!

You're more generous than I.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No, you can order them studded or unstudded. I chose the former and bought studs from Bikestuds and Terrene, a mix.
    Any reason you chose buying the studs separate? Are the Terrene studs not worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Being heavier the Terrene might not fit my bike or real tight.

?! Pretty sure you've got that flipped the wrong around way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Any reason you chose buying the studs separate? Are the Terrene studs not worthy?
    I like the Terrene studs and the best value to get them would be to order the tires with the studs. To buy Terrene studs alone they are about .50/ea. The scalloped tips really bit in. If buying after the fact, I cannot say they are worth the cost premium vs. a Bikestud concave stud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nope, never had Bud on those rims.
    Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.

Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.

I'm not sure I believe that published number for Bud.

But assuming it is correct, we are agreed that the width differences are small.

I think the height difference from Bud to 2XL is enormous. Over an inch of difference translates to a lot of volume.

Pic below is not doctored in any way. Both wheels are sitting on level ground, and both tires are on same width rims at same pressure in that shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-screen-shot-2018-11-09-12.18.21-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?
    Personaly i had 26x4.6 Groundcontrol(Specialized) on 90mm on my fatboy. Probably a good 4 season but i use my fat only for our 4 winter months. The front was missing a few curves so in March 2017 i switched to Bud/Lou adding 100 quality studs on each and i am realy happy, probably the best winter solution to ride as often as possible. A friend bought a pair of what i call compromised tires kind of light and fast but not grippy enough, so he added cheap studs and sold them at a loss. The pattern looks quite 4 season on the terene and between the heavier aspect and the maybe they will fit i am sure in Quebec they will not be popular. Also with Giant offering 2 fat models on 27.5 on 85 mm we will probably have many 27.5x4.5 options next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast