Terrene Johnny 5 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    I love my Surly Bud : perfect size for me(on front, mix of groomed/hardpack and soft/crust). But I want studs and tubeless.

Looks like the Johnny 5 answers that. To bad that itís even heavier, but itís also maybe a bit bigger, so thatís fine.
    What I worry about is the tread design: the long, lengthwise knobs, lined up to create ďrailsĒ work really well on the Bud for cornering. I worry that the intermittent, squarish knobs on the Johnny 5 wonít do as well in softer snow, when cornering.

What are your experiences with the Johnny 5 or other similar design tires in front in soft snow?
    Given the J5 is just now being received not many, if any, have had a chance to give them a spin in softer snow. The Bud is a very good front specific tire but that is not to say other blockier tread tires work fine in the front in soft snow. Nate and Vanhelga are a couple that come to mind. The J5 looks to take a spot next to the Wrathchild as a large, knobby, studded tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interesting note on the "optical illusion/lying eyeballs" speculation from earlier in this thread. Fat-bike dot com confirms that the 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eater does indeed have the same bead-to-bead measurement as the 26x"5.0" J5. In fact, the Cake Eater has a slightly wider bead to bead, 267mm for CE vs 266mm for J5 as measured by fat-bike.

So Terrene is selling two tires, with a labeled width difference of 0.5 inches, but the exact same actual unmounted width. The actual difference in width then comes from the rims that the tire is mounted to.

A Cake Eater 4.5 on a 27.5x100mm rim, if it existed, might be the TRUE king of studded knobbies.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Fat-bike dot com confirms that the 27.5 x 4.5 Cake Eater does indeed have the same bead-to-bead measurement as the 26x"5.0" J5. In fact, the Cake Eater has a slightly wider bead to bead, 267mm for CE vs 266mm for J5 as measured by fat-bike.
    I think that might be a misprint of some sort.

I just measured 3 different CE's in 3 different places per tire. Flat bead to bead, the biggest I could get was 259mm. Which is still plenty big -- just not bigger than J5.

For reference, the previous biggest 27.5" fatty was the Gnarwhal. Just measured one at 240mm b2b.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    27.5x4.5" Cake Eater vs 26x5" J5 would be a very interesting comparison. I'd love more float up front and a larger diameter tire than my D5, one of these might be the ticket.

the 27.5" rim would be heavier, but the CE is lighter than the J5, so I think the overall weight would be the same. J5 probably has better loose snow and ice grip (more knobs and studs) at the expense of rolling resistance. CE will probably have less undamped "bounce" due to lower sidewall height, but maybe better roll-over on bumps due to slightly taller height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Per Surly, bud is 123.5mm in 100mm rim. So using your numbers of 125mm for J5 on a 105, and 128mm for 2XL on a 105, there is surprisingly little difference in the knob width of these three tires. I would have expected the 2XL to measure larger compared to the other two.
    My Lou on a 100mm wheel is 115mm at the side knobs and 119mm at the case at 8 psi. My 2XL is 126mm at the side knobs and 129mm at the case on 100mm wheel at 8psi. The 2XL is much larger than either a Bud or Lou. I just saw Bud/Louís listed for $80 each on line and studded J5ís for $240 each. It be quite a bit cheaper to buy 200 grip studs off eBay, stud the bud/Louís than get J5ís unless their price comes down.

2XL and Lou both at 8psi for comparison.
    Terrene Johnny 5-86cb7f5b-eb0f-4795-a3c7-5f0f18f6c558.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    My Lou on a 100mm wheel is 115mm at the side knobs and 119mm at the case at 8 psi. My 2XL is 126mm at the side knobs and 129mm at the case on 100mm wheel at 8psi. The 2XL is much larger than either a Bud or Lou. I just saw Bud/Louís listed for $80 each on line and studded J5ís for $240 each. It be quite a bit cheaper to buy 200 grip studs off eBay, stud the bud/Louís than get J5ís unless their price comes down.

2XL and Lou both at 8psi for comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86CB7F5B-EB0F-4795-A3C7-5F0F18F6C558.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	1224584
    Great, except the J5 has 320 studs per tire.

mtbr member
    Freshly mounted J5s on 80mm Mulfuts are showing 4.75Ē max width at the knob. 15 psi. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Freshly mounted J5s on 80mm Mulfuts are showing 4.75Ē max width at the knob. 15 psi. Works for me.
    It would be interesting to know your frame year and size and if the clearance is OK or minimal. Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just mounted, getting 120mm from knob to knob. Casing is harder, the caliper isn't long enough, so best guess by adjusting it on each side is 115mm.

90mm OD rims.

Terrene Johnny 5-img_5895.jpgTerrene Johnny 5-img_5893.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You guys are insane with your width obsession. Like others have said, "if" it was a true 5" tire would it fit in a lot of the frames out there? Yes, there is a lot of "false" advertising going on in the mtn/fat bike tire world and I am unclear as to why. But one thing is for sure, no one really has a good grasp on how to achieve the stated dimensions on tires, regardless of manufacturer.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You guys are insane with your width obsession. Like others have said, "if" it was a true 5" tire would it fit in a lot of the frames out there? Yes, there is a lot of "false" advertising going on in the mtn/fat bike tire world and I am unclear as to why. But one thing is for sure, no one really has a good grasp on how to achieve the stated dimensions on tires, regardless of manufacturer.
    Due to incompetence in the use of precision measuring tools by manufacturers...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You guys are insane with your width obsession.
    Agreed. Just crazy.

Also don't see anything revolutionary about the Terrene tires. Just another player in the world of fat bike tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Agreed. Just crazy.

Also don't see anything revolutionary about the Terrene tires. Just another player in the world of fat bike tires.
    If the J5 had actually been the size labeled it would have been closer to revolutionary. Now it's just noteworthy for being the biggest studded tire on the market, which is still an important distinction for lots of buyers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Even if the Cake Eater is only 259mm, that's still measuring like most tires labeled 4.8. I might actually be more intrigued by the Cake Eater than the J5, as it seems like you could get the CE's contact patch bigger than the J5; too bad there don't seem to be any 27.5 rims wider than 80mm internal (the Enve with its pants-on-head pricing doesn't count).

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I think that might be a misprint of some sort.

I just measured 3 different CE's in 3 different places per tire. Flat bead to bead, the biggest I could get was 259mm. Which is still plenty big -- just not bigger than J5.

For reference, the previous biggest 27.5" fatty was the Gnarwhal. Just measured one at 240mm b2b.

You guys are insane with your width obsession.

Who? Why?

Installed on the bike.

Still unridden. Still 125mm wide.

Still unlikely to be ridden for another ~month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-img_2613.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the J5 had actually been the size labeled it would have been closer to revolutionary. Now it's just noteworthy for being the biggest studded tire on the market, which is still an important distinction for lots of buyers.
    It's 2mm from being 5 inches. Would it really go from just noteworthy to almost revolutionary if it was 2mm wider?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    It's 2mm from being 5 inches. Would it really go from just noteworthy to almost revolutionary if it was 2mm wider?
    5" is magical. 4.92" has you sinking like a rock. 5.0"? It's a freakin magic carpet ride.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Installed on the bike.

Still unridden. Still 125mm wide.

Still unlikely to be ridden for another ~month.
    wow, that is a lot of bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    wow, that is a lot of bike...

Yep. Pretty much built for float first, and second, with all other considerations tertiary.

Odd-angle bar ends are used more for pogie retention and positioning than resting hands on. But because hands do get rested on/leaned into them at low temps, they are wrapped in neoprene.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Agreed. Just crazy.

No one has even ridden one in the snow yet, or ice, or anything. Judging a tire based on looks alone is just plain silly.

Who? Why?
    See the quoted post above yours. This type of thinking is beyond weird to me. I would almost want a taller tire then wider as not too many bikes can handle the width, but the overall diameter doesn't seem to be as much of an issue. If the compound is right, it doesn't self steer too bad at lower psi, and the stud grip ice...it gets my vote.

I NEED A 5" TIRE
    MUST BE 5" OR IT SUCKS
    NO ONE HAS RIDDEN ONE YET, BUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT 5" EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MUST BE SUB PAR
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

sidewalls?

So, now that folks have seen these tires, what are the sidewalls like? Thin like the surly tires and dillingers, or thicker?

I NEED A 5" TIRE
    MUST BE 5" OR IT SUCKS
    NO ONE HAS RIDDEN ONE YET, BUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT 5" EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MUST BE SUB PAR
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Got it. Yeah, there's at least one pro-level toolbox consistently trolling this thread. (S)he is on the 3rd or 4th username in 2 years now, keeps getting booted and then comes back. Like the only thing (s)he has to offer is a nancy negative attitude, with no life outside of that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iím one of the people who is disappointed at the size of the J5. I get that 4.9 inches (on a 105mm rim, which FWIW is rare) is not much less than 5.0. But I was hoping for a snowshoe 2XL-sized tire; a.k.a. the only 5.0 tire we had for reference prior to this. The J5 is the same size as bud & Lou, which we have had since what - 2013? If you think the size difference between the 2XL and bud/lou is insignificant, you should try them back to back. A studded, lighter 2XL sized tire would be a big deal. Better yet if it were even bigger.

My point is: There is demand for significantly larger studded tire options than whatís currently on the market. When this was announced as a ď5.zeroĒ tire it got my hopes up. Bud & lou are labeled 4.8 but the J5 is apparently the same size as they are, so thatís a bit of a let down.

Am I overthinking it? Maybe. Probably.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Am I overthinking it? Maybe. Probably.
    I would say you are very much over estimating the demand for ANY tire over 5", much less a studded tire over 5". The percentage of people who are even willing to spend this kind of money on bike tires is pretty slim, then factor in the need for studs, and THEN you have to realize not many bikes will accept tires over 5", and diminish any further demand. This tire is directed at a niche market to begin with, anything wider and you are catering to 10% of the fat bike market.

mtbr member
    Its funny because i was looking at the specs on the 27.5Ēx4.5Ē cake eater and its huge. 1/2Ē taller than a gnarwhal... my gnarwhal is tight on my 21.5Ē farley carbon frame. What they hell does this thing fit? Its apparently the same height as a XXL so it probably does fit the farley but hola, its big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

anything wider and you are catering to 10% of the fat bike market.

I think even that is hopelessly optimistic. Most people with fatbikes are riding them down the block to get coffee. On dry pavement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think even that is hopelessly optimistic. Most people with fatbikes are riding them down the block to get coffee. On dry pavement.
    Where they park next to the person who does the same thing with a tricked out 4WD pickup.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    mikesee

The J5s you mounted appear to be void of studs and rear tire appears to be mounted in same direction as front. I look forward to your review on the J5s. Hopefully you can compare and contrast to Bud & Lou as well.

OT - I too am interested in the 27.5 x 4.5 CEs as to how they compare to the studded Gnars. I love the Gnars in less than 5" fresh and especially on day old crusties.

BTW - Rode Bud and Lou on 5" of freshies Sunday and while it was bitter cold out, but the tires worked gur-r8!

Rippin da fAt
    Sacrilege, I say!

Is there not an agency that works to prevent fatbike abuse?
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Should be able to test on snow and mixed conditions tomorrow.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Should be able to test on snow and mixed conditions tomorrow.
    Lookin forward to a snow test of these tires.

Thankya, Jayem!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1) I care about width primarily so I can estimate if a tire will fit my current bike, and if it offers a practical size differential versus my current tires.
    2) I think the market for a Godzilla sized light weight prestudded tire would be very very very small.
    3) A prestudded, tubeless tire that handles a variety of conditions like Bud and Lou? And fits lots of existing frames? Now that could be a popular tire (insofar as fat bike tires are 'popular...').
    4) If the Johnny 5 works well I'll be very excited. It's exactly the kind of tire that I've been hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    mikesee

The J5s you mounted appear to be void of studs and rear tire appears to be mounted in same direction as front. I look forward to your review on the J5s. Hopefully you can compare and contrast to Bud & Lou as well.

OT - I too am interested in the 27.5 x 4.5 CEs as to how they compare to the studded Gnars. I love the Gnars in less than 5" fresh and especially on day old crusties.

BTW - Rode Bud and Lou on 5" of freshies Sunday and while it was bitter cold out, but the tires worked gur-r8!

Hey Cal-

I ordered both studded and non-studded variants to have in inventory. When/where we ride our snowbikes the snow is deep and drifted, and if you wanted to touch ice you'd have to dig down through 15' of snow to find it. No need for studs.

When next we head up to AK or MN or WI or MI in winter no doubt we'll use studs, and I'll install some on this set at that time.

The rotating direction on the rear tire was chosen to minimize rolling resistance. With those big blocks it'll dig in/keep from spinning in our brand of soft and wind affected snow regardless, so anything to make it roll a little easier helps.

I need to sell a narrower set of Nextie wheels in the next few days so that I can build something wider on which to install/ride the CE's. I suspect they're going to be at least as good as Gnar's, possibly better than Bud/Lou. In my dreams they'd supplant the 2XL, but I think that's wishful thinking. One way to find out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What rim will you use for your CE build?

Hey Cal-

I ordered both studded and non-studded variants to have in inventory. When/where we ride our snowbikes the snow is deep and drifted, and if you wanted to touch ice you'd have to dig down through 15' of snow to find it. No need for studs.

When next we head up to AK or MN or WI or MI in winter no doubt we'll use studs, and I'll install some on this set at that time.

The rotating direction on the rear tire was chosen to minimize rolling resistance. With those big blocks it'll dig in/keep from spinning in our brand of soft and wind affected snow regardless, so anything to make it roll a little easier helps.

I need to sell a narrower set of Nextie wheels in the next few days so that I can build something wider on which to install/ride the CE's. I suspect they're going to be at least as good as Gnar's, possibly better than Bud/Lou. In my dreams they'd supplant the 2XL, but I think that's wishful thinking. One way to find out...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Lookin forward to a snow test of these tires.

Thankya, Jayem!
    One of the trails up in the mountains above the city opens for fatbikes on the 15th, should be snow, overflow ice and everything. I studded the rear with triple cutters down the middle and bikestuds on the outside, the front i did the opposite, triple cutters on the outside. We should get some more snow this weekend too, so maybe some fresh.

Rippin da fAt
    One of the trails up in the mountains above the city opens for fatbikes on the 15th, should be snow, overflow ice and everything. I studded the rear with triple cutters down the middle and bikestuds on the outside, the front i did the opposite, triple cutters on the outside. We should get some more snow this weekend too, so maybe some fresh.
    The stud patterns sound interesting for front vs. rear.
    Guess I'll just hafta stay tuned.
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The stud patterns sound interesting for front vs. rear.
    Guess I'll just hafta stay tuned.
    I got them mounted up and ready to ride to work tomorrow, it's mostly bumpy ice on the way to work right now, so that'll help to assess the stud-traction. Stupidly I realized I had the front tire mounted backwards this evening, got that sorted out. I did have to move my wheel to the rear-dropout location, which surprised me, they don't "look" all that bigger than the D5s on the same rim, but they were pretty much touching the chainstay yoke. Knob to knob now showing 123.33mm and casing width 119.63mm. Been sitting for a couple days, although only at about 11-12psi. That's a lot for a tire this big.

Rippin da fAt
    I got them mounted up and ready to ride to work tomorrow, it's mostly bumpy ice on the way to work right now, so that'll help to assess the stud-traction. Stupidly I realized I had the front tire mounted backwards this evening, got that sorted out. I did have to move my wheel to the rear-dropout location, which surprised me, they don't "look" all that bigger than the D5s on the same rim, but they were pretty much touching the chainstay yoke. Knob to knob now showing 123.33mm and casing width 119.63mm. Been sitting for a couple days, although only at about 11-12psi. That's a lot for a tire this big.
    Hella stretch tires! Nice to know that they do fill out with a little time and moderate pressure.
    I am interested in how the stud patterns perform for ya.
    What pressures are you planning to use for your commute?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The D5 is considered a 4.5 wich is average so the appeal is for people who focus on pocketed studs. Around here(Canada) they are 350$ each and for 300$ we can have a Bud or a Lou screw in 100 quality studs for more floatability, more grip in snow and enough grip on ice. Just stud 1 tire and the other the next day it is real easy, plenty of info here and on you tube.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Rode to work today on them, this is mostly level, but lots of rough ice. My impression was these things take a lot of watts to turn. Compared to the D5s, these seemed to take significantly more effort to turn, whether it's greater mass further from the hub (the larger diameter) or rolling resistance. The casing seemed stiffer too. I had pressure a bit high, but not rock hard by any means. Traction on ice seemed fine, but since it's mostly level no real test could be done.

Rode after work for 20+ miles, lots of climbing on glare-ice, pock-marked frozen ice, dirt, and a tiny bit of extremely compacted snow. Climbing traction on the ice seems slightly better than the D5, like maybe 10%, not huge, but noticeable. Turning traction on ice seems better, maybe more like 15-20%. In the very very limited times when there was something resembling snow, it *seemed* like they held an edge better, but that's real hard to tell based on this ride. With a few steep glare-ice spots, most of the ride up was on severely pock-marked ice and it was constant pounding. I think the extra volume of these tires helped significantly. No doubt I could have probably done it just fine on my D5s, but again I think the bigger carcass had a noticeable effect making these conditions more tolerable. I had let out a bit more pressure and was maybe somewhere around 6-7 or so. The watts issue seemed to also be masked more, but I'm pretty sure it was still there. A large amount of the DH was on dirt...crazy Chinook winds have been blowing and the mountain valleys are largely devoid of snow. It's sad that we can't get snow in Alaska right now. But the tires handled the dirt riding just fine, maybe just a hint of self-steer. Plenty able to deal with the frozen dry ground.

The bad was that I lost about 9 studs from the rear and 2 from the front. If anything, I set the rear studs better than the front when I did it. The thing about these conditions though was that they were pretty extreme. Probably not the best for breaking in the tires and studs and some softer snow conditions might more likely help the studs seat better, rather than riding across the frozen pock-marked ice today. Luckily I have plenty extra, so I can deal with this, but hopefully it stops once I ride more on softer conditions.

I think the casing might still be a little less supple than the D5, but the bigger volume might help to mask that a bit and you should be able to get away with less pressure with these. I notice the watts to power these things, whether it's from the mass or rolling resistance. They seem to turn well and grip the ice a bit better. Riding in soft conditions will really be the key with these tires I think, but our snow that was predicted for tomorrow night looks like it's going to be rain again and who knows when it'll snow again in central Alaska...

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Jayem: Thanks for the detailed first impression
    Run the studs in by doing some easy rides on pavement (no hard braking/acceleration or cornering). This not only make them settle into the stud pockets, but there is a vulcanization process taking place as well.
    If they still shed studs, use Loctite 480. It is superglue mixed with rubber and is targeted for applications that require a little flexibility. Nokian used this for the Freddiez tires back in the day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    use Loctite 480. It is superglue mixed with rubber and is targeted for applications that require a little flexibility.
    Interesting! Thanks for the info about Loctite!

Elitest thrill junkie
    The tubeless install was fine, uses my Blackburn charger. Not overly tight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Or on a groomed trail where anything from 3.8 to 4.8 works just fine without any studs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rode to work today on them, this is mostly level, but lots of rough ice. My impression was these things take a lot of watts to turn.

I think the casing might still be a little less supple than the D5, but the bigger volume ..
    So after all that typing, the bullet points to take away are:
    1.Big tires take more effort than smaller tires.
    2. Some of the studs you put in fell out

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So after all that typing, the bullet points to take away are:
    1.Big tires take more effort than smaller tires.
    2. Some of the studs you put in fell out
    You forgot f*ck global warming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You forgot f*ck global warming.
    Have you been in a coma?
    It's called Climate Change now.
    Is this Terrene's fault also?
    Damn you Johnny 5! You undersized, climate changing turd!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    correct. Terrene's Climate change bead retention is not as good as 45nrth's... :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    correct. Terrene's Climate change bead retention is not as good as 45nrth's... :P
    That's it!
    I'm jumping on the naysayer bandwagon!
    This tire that I have never seen sucks bungholes!
    And it is ruining out planet! Think of the children!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    In Montreal i just had my first ride of the season.
    Out of the garage the noise of the studs on cement.
    Then silence on 2-3 in of fresh snow.
    Bud/Lou = real fat, designed to roll often.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    it is ruining out planet! Think of the children!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    In Montreal i just had my first ride of the season.
    Out of the garage the noise of the studs on cement.
    Then silence on 2-3 in of fresh snow.
    Bud/Lou = real fat, designed to roll often.
    Cool story, bro.
    But what do your little, undersized tires have to do with the ginormous
    Johnny 5?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Johnny 5 vs Minion 4.8 studded

I ride in Fernie BC where the snow is deep and the terrain is steep. I'm currently riding Minion 4.8's studded.

The Johnny 5 looks faster, lighter and superior float.

How does it compare with the Johnny 5?

Which has superior grip?

Thanks for your beta!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fernieoldgoat View Post
    I ride in Fernie BC where the snow is deep and the terrain is steep. I'm currently riding Minion 4.8's studded.

The Johnny 5 looks faster, lighter and superior float.

How does it compare with the Johnny 5?

Which has superior grip?

Thanks for your beta!
    Well....Minions aren't great in most kinds of snow to start with.
    Not many have ridden the J5 in snow seeing it was just released.....and will it even fit on your bike?

mtbr member
    Have you been in a coma?
    Wrong, it changed to 'Climate Disruption', didn't you get the memo?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Mail service disrupted due to house under water, get floating tires rush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Wrong, it changed to 'Climate Disruption', didn't you get the memo?
    Really?
    JFC!
    FML!
    All these changes while I was out riding tires that are bigger than Johnny 5....although there's a pair of them waiting for me. So many tires now....

mtbr member
    May 2007

Minions

Well....Minions aren't great in most kinds of snow to start with.
    Not many have ridden the J5 in snow seeing it was just released.....and will it even fit on your bike?
    I differ in opinion. Studded Minions offer great snow and ice traction. They are the best winter tires that I have used. Minions also rule in summer.

If your an XC rider minions would be slower that other tires however when traction is the goal, they deliver.

The J5 will fit on my 2019 Blizzard and the price is decent, I will probably try them.

Terrene Johnny 5-minion.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I differ in opinion. ]
    If your opinion is the tire is that good.....why are you changing?
    For me....and I've tried a lot of tires over the years.....the Minions are low on the long list. But...if it works for you...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I've been riding the proverbial **** out of them, lots of drops, jumps, hard riding. We built a bunch of new DH trails this summer and although they are encased in ice and extreme hardpack (but mostly ice), I'm still having tons of fun hitting them. You hit a berm right at speed and it just locks you in if it's built right, and our rooty-drop trail has some pretty awesome traction on the off-camber roots with the big studded tires.

They are holding air great, haven't added anything since I initially filled them and I've been running them pretty soft for the conditions, just enough that I won't have a rim-strike when I case a double or tabletop. They did use quite a bit of sealant due to the size, so that's something to consider, I still think turning and ice traction is significantly better than a D5, almost "next level", not a dramatic different to say that you could go 2x as fast or lean 2x as hard, but enough to start a new benchmark. No idea about soft conditions, it just keeps raining in Alaska...and then it freezes.

Stud loss has seemed to stabilize with more riding, don't seem to be losing anymore, although during the first couple rides I did. Would have been best to probably use adhesive with each stud, but that would have been a major PITA logistically. For the ones I've replaced I used loctite.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks for the reports, Jayem!

While it does take some time for studs to seat as well as soap/lube used for insertion to dry so they stay put. It sounds like a few got away and otherwise have been reliable.
    I think these tires are superior to D5 in terms of tread pattern and depth.
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Really good today on ice. Definitely more solid on this than D5s, although my D5s are pretty old. The J5 packs a ton more studs in the center though, where you need them. Did some practice stops and tripod turns, all in all, damn good and significantly better.

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099873.jpg

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099924.jpg

Terrene Johnny 5-g0099945.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    How were the trails out at mirror lake? Iíve yet to make it out there at all. Maybe this weekend if itís not too snotty outside...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    How were the trails out at mirror lake? Iíve yet to make it out there at all. Maybe this weekend if itís not too snotty outside...
    The main stuff is ok, generally more traction than Hillside STA, but lumpier due to much more frost-heaving. Blue, green and red loops good. Purple loop still poor, do not recommend. They got more snow than we did, but it looks to have been drier snow and it's compacted down to almost nothing and the frost-heaves are the main thing. I posted a video in the "did you ride today" thread in Passion and there's a short part with some of the singletrack. It's not bad, just a diversion from Anchorage with some frozen lake thrown in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Who can compare with Buds/Lous?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Really good today on ice. Definitely more solid on this than D5s, although my D5s are pretty old. The J5 packs a ton more studs in the center though, where you need them. Did some practice stops and tripod turns, all in all, damn good and significantly better.

Name:	G0099873.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	1225903

Name:	G0099924.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	1225904

Name:	G0099945.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	1225905
    What rolls faster, the D5ís or the J5ís?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenyasun View Post
    Who can compare with Buds/Lous?
    Around here 1 guy just installed them today to replace Bud/Lou. But it might be 2 weeks to put in a few rides and report. I will let you know his appreciation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Around here 1 guy just installed them today to replace Bud/Lou. But it might be 2 weeks to put in a few rides and report. I will let you know his appreciation.
    Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    What rolls faster, the D5ís or the J5ís?
    No question, D5s. J5s donít feel horribly slow though and Iíve run tires before that I couldnít stand because of how slow they rolled. The harder the conditions the less it matters. Casing still seems a bit less supple, not bad by any means though.

Massive traction on ice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Basicaly if Bud/Lou fit your frame and fork J5 will.
    1807 gr
    more report after some rides...

just ride
    why is it relevant? Because i jumped on the tires when they first came out. the bead retention was sh!t. anything under 13psi would constantly burp from the sidewalls. tried on 3 different sets of rims. installed hodags, fbf, fbr, & gnarwhals on same rims, tires good to less than 2 psi. after multiple attempts, lackluster response from the company. emailed the president, he didn't care either. after getting frustrated, i sent the tires packing. i am done with the company, UNLESS someone else tries a new product and raves about it. then maybe, i will plunk down my $. /rant

fyi: local terrene rep told me WTB makes the tires.
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way.

Oh, and WTB does not make our tires. We use a factory that also produces some WTB product, but also tires for 10 other major brand names as well.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

just ride
    Can you let us know who this local rep is? We need to have a chat..... WTB does not make our tires, and if someone is saying that, we need to correct it.

just ride
    Precisely the reason we spend very little time here now. Would love to spend more time here helping customers and answering questions, but sorting through the drivel is like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-serious.jpg  

just ride
    Have you been in a coma?
    Damn you Johnny 5! You undersized, climate changing turd!
    We accept fault for all climate change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Thank you for accepting the fault.
    Although I have a set of J5s waiting to be picked up....I hate the unseen tires.
    That is until I get them...then I will go on and on about them.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way.
    Good to hear, pm sent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So the question is, with fresh powder in the anchorage bowl do they have traction when the ground shakes.....

Hope the Alaska guys in the thread all made it out unscathed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The good news is the new snow has done great things for fat bike traction. But after 200 aftershocks, they are starting to get really annoying.
    Latitude 61

Rippin da fAt
    That's great but what about this new snow that is imported from China?

Will there be a more supple version of the J5 in the future?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    The good news is the new snow has done great things for fat bike traction. But after 200 aftershocks, they are starting to get really annoying.
    I hear ya, only two woke me last night then there was the little shimmy a few minutes ago.

Worst part, the fat bike is in pieces. Weather has been garbage enough it was time for a tear down and repair. Yesterday was supposed to be the rebuild day, instead it was clean up broken glass and fix the generator day.

Hope to be testing j5s mid week next week, granted the snow level is doable with current tires.

What rim will you use for your CE build?

I have a set of the new ENVE's en route.

My wife and I both have custom Meriwether fatbikes, running 2XL's on 105's for the past few seasons. Max float.

I pulled her 2XL's off a few weeks ago and mounted up a set of J5's.

I also have a set of 27.5 x 4.5" Cake Eater's I'm going to mount to a set of the new ENVE B Fat wheels.

That way we can do side by side/back to back tests in our particular brand of light/dry snow the next few weeks.

I won't be able to produce numbers of graphs to prove anything to anyone's satisfaction. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if there are differences in float and efficiency when switching back and forth amongst them.

Stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My wife and I both have custom Meriwether fatbikes, running 2XL's on 105's for the past few seasons. Max float.

I pulled her 2XL's off a few weeks ago and mounted up a set of J5's.

I also have a set of 27.5 x 4.5" Cake Eater's I'm going to mount to a set of the new ENVE B Fat wheels.

That way we can do side by side/back to back tests in our particular brand of light/dry snow the next few weeks.

I won't be able to produce numbers of graphs to prove anything to anyone's satisfaction. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if there are differences in float and efficiency when switching back and forth amongst them.

Stay tuned...
    This will be interesting to read,,, especially if you do a blind test.
    I am sure you will include weight of rider.

This will be interesting to read,,, especially if you do a blind test.
    I am sure you will include weight of rider.

Good idea. What brand of blindfolds do you recommend? Something over 5" ideally?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good idea. What brand of blindfolds do you recommend? Something over 5" ideally?
    Five point zero ought to do it for the blindfold. Looking forward to the write up! Iím considering the J5 and CE4.5 versus my current setup of grip studs in bud and Lou. Bud and Lou just have such a great tread pattern when the going gets soft... bud in particular, steers so good. And the casing in bud and Lou is really nice when you nail the air pressure.

EFIT: needing sealant to run B+L tubeless is annoying but Iíve had good luck with them tubeless on multiple rims. With that said, I consider the tubeless-readiness a point in favor of the Terrene options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, I did my best to read this thread and try to find the word "Bluto" in it somewhere and couldn't...So my question is, does this tire clear the Bluto arch on an 80-85mm wide rim? Asking for a friend. Anyone, Bueller? Bueller?

mtbr member
    I do not have them but do have a Bud, which people say is the same or slightly larger. It clears my Bluto below 20psi on 100mm rim, but not above that pressure. You should be fine on only an 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Currently running the Bud on an 85mm, yes it clears (barely) but it don't leave a lot of room either. For the kind of coin we're talking about here, I'd feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about ordering a set of these if I knew for certain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Currently running the Bud on an 85mm, yes it clears (barely) but it don't leave a lot of room either. For the kind of coin we're talking about here, I'd feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about ordering a set of these if I knew for certain...
    I have J5s mounted on 80mm Mulfuts. Just stuck it in a Bluto I have sitting around. Itís tight but fits, Iíd have no problem running it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I have J5s mounted on 80mm Mulfuts. Just stuck it in a Bluto I have sitting around. Itís tight but fits, Iíd have no problem running it.

BAM!!!!!!! Love this place. Thank you.

Had a chance to try these tires (I'm referring to the studded version, which is what I wish to buy) in their intended terrain yet by chance??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Best post on the interwebz today!
    In other news....I finally picked up my J5s.
    My initial professional analysis is that they are big black tires with studs that came in a bigger tan cardboard box. Seeing all the snow and ice melted here just north of Boston...it will be a while before I ride them. But when I do...from past experience with other tires, I bet they will work like tires do.

Best post on the interwebz today!
    In other news....I finally picked up my J5s.
    My initial professional analysis is that they are big black tires with studs that came in a bigger tan cardboard box. Seeing all the snow and ice melted here just north of Boston...it will be a while before I ride them. But when I do...from past experience with other tires, I bet they will work like tires do.

You can't prove any of this. Idolator!

mtbr member
    Iím north west of Boston too, and got my J5s before the snow came (and went).
    I got to ride them in the 5-8Ē inches of mushy snow and thought they worked quite well. I have studded Dilenger 5s and in soft conditions, as expected the J5s are much better.
    Also got out on one of the cold mornings when things set up a bit and they did great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You can't prove any of this. Idolator!
    Guy...you have to take off that blindfold. Or put on the blind fold...then take it off. Or...
    I'm so confused.
    Imma going downstairs and analyze the J5s and the box they came in.

Guy...you have to take off that blindfold. Or put on the blind fold...then take it off. Or...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Damn it! I didn't even click on the link....but that song is gonna be stuck in my head on today's ride....which won't be on the over analyzed J5s

mtbr member
    May 2007

Terrene Johnny 5's test

I've been ridding my studded Johnny 5's for several days and i'm convinced they are the ultimate fat bike soft snow tire. In Fernie we ride steep Black Diamond trails in loose snow and the Johnny 5's offer the best traction of any tire I've tried, up and down!

I've tried the tires with air pressure ranging from 4 to 8lbs and have settled on 6lbs as my preferred pressure.

They are mounted on a Industry 9 Big Rig 90mm rim and are measuring 4.85 inches. My 19' Rocky has no issue with the size.

The Johnny 5's tread pattern and volume are very effective in maintaining float and tracking in loose snow conditions.

I haven't experienced a melt freeze cycle to date so no ice however I'm certain the 320 studs/tire will be effective.

I've been fat biking for close to a decade and have tried many tires. Terrene's Johnny 5 climbing steeps and descends faster than any other tires I've tried.

The gang at Terrene Tires clearly understands fat biking and tire design. I highly recommend giving their product a try!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've been ridding my studded Johnny 5's for several days and i'm convinced they are the ultimate fat bike soft snow tire. In Fernie we ride steep Black Diamond trails in loose snow and the Johnny 5's offer the best traction of any tire I've tried, up and down!

I've tried the tires with air pressure ranging from 4 to 8lbs and have settled on 6lbs as my preferred pressure.

They are mounted on a Industry 9 Big Rig 90mm rim and are measuring 4.85 inches. My 19' Rocky has no issue with the size.

The Johnny 5's tread pattern and volume are very effective in maintaining float and tracking in loose snow conditions.

I haven't experienced a melt freeze cycle to date so no ice however I'm certain the 320 studs/tire will be effective.

I've been fat biking for close to a decade and have tried many tires. Terrene's Johnny 5 climbing steeps and descends faster than any other tires I've tried.

The gang at Terrene Tires clearly understands fat biking and tire design. I highly recommend giving their product a try!
    What were your last winter tires before installing that pair?
    So they are great off trails?
    also off camber?
    the front allways tracks?
    What are the negatives?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    6psi? How much do you weight - that seems really high for a tire that size. My operating range is in the 2-4 range with smaller tires, but Iím only 145 pounds. 6psi would be unridable for a tire like that in soft snow (for me).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What were your last winter tires before installing that pair?
    So they are great off trails?
    also off camber?
    the front allways tracks?
    What are the negatives?
    Thanks.
    I have Dillinger 5's and Minion 4.8, both studded. For riding soft snow the J5's have superior float, track and grip.

Every tire is a compromise in some form depending on what your objective. I don't ride XC or off trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    200lbs - every gauge is different, I could be riding 4.

mtbr member
    Gotcha!

To be honest I rarely use a gauge anymore. Itís pretty much the old ďhand pushing down on the tireĒ Gauge. In soft snow, the pressure needs to be low enough that I can push the tire down and hold it against the rim bottomed out without much effort. The pressure only goes up from there depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    6psi? How much do you weight - that seems really high for a tire that size. My operating range is in the 2-4 range with smaller tires, but Iím only 145 pounds. 6psi would be unridable for a tire like that in soft snow (for me).
    Depends on the tire. I was running 6 in my barbergazis and a guy gave it the queeze test and he was like bull shit, this has like 2-3. He was running bud and lou. He had 6 in his and it felt like 12 in my tires.

Same with a friend and his wife, his 45nrths felt way squishier than his wifes minnions at the same psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mounted my J5 this morning. Inflated and seated the bead with just a floor pump on a Dirt Compnents Thumpers wheel. Iíll be running this on the front only due to lack of clearance on my frame. My winter tire combo will be J5 front (studded) with Wazia 4.6 (studded rear). I just need to wait for snow again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have Dillinger 5's and Minion 4.8, both studded. For riding soft snow the J5's have superior float, track and grip.

Every tire is a compromise in some form depending on what your objective. I don't ride XC or off trails.
    You don't ride XC or off trail?
    Then what do you ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So....I finally mounted mine up on 100mm rims and let em sit over night at a pressure I'd never ride them at.
    On my Borealis Echo and Farley Ex...which fit a Lou or Vee XL no problem....they are snug. Less than 5mm to chain stays and chain lightly rubs tire on big cog.They will probably suck in a little when I lower the pressure to real world use...but they might grow a little after lots of riding.
    No sweat for me because I have a RSD....where they look tiny after having a Vee 2XL on there.
    But if your bike is tight with a Lou....you may be SOL....

Real world ride comparisons to 2XL here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/te...o-1093684.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My J5 came in and I threw it on the front (Cake eater 4.6" in back) for a ride in fresh, long-awaited powder. Realized as I left the house that I had put the tire on backwards. Oh well.

I have to say that it certainly has more float and grip in loose snow than a D5 and is less likely to wash out, even mounted backwards. However, the rolling resistance was pretty high with the tread "scooping" forwards as the wheel rolls. I'll be switching it to the normal direction ASAP! I'd doubt that there is even a reason to run a J5 backwards on the rear because the knobs are so massive as to give tons of grip in the normal (i.e. lower rolling resistance) orientation.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    After a quick few pm's here on 11/29, I forwarded email i sent from earlier this year with specifics of the issues i had with the tires and *POOF*, gone.

mtbr member
    Lots of people out at the Fat Pursuit yesterday and I saw a few Johnny 5s. Mine are studded and on a Corvus with HED BADs.

Started out with a little higher pressure than I needed. Aired down at the aid station. Tires seemed really good at grabbing the edge of ruts and pulling up and out without sliding or tearing the snow. Overall I had very few issues with tire grip. Float was good for me (170lbs+~15gear).

Based on comparisons with other riders including one on Bud/Lou who has a lot of these races under his belt they seemed every bit as good on the snow we had. I also spent some time at speed (20mph) and they rip pretty good and are controllable.

Finished 5th overall fwiw. Maybe if they were Johnny 1s...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Where are people buying them from and how much are they? I only see one spot online and $260 studded is a little tough to justify for how much I ride. And maybe I missed it, but what studs are people running? I could always buy unstudded and run a 45 nrth or something to bring the cost down. Or I could just go Wazia. I'm looking to run it in the rear only right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cere8 View Post
    Where are people buying them from and how much are they? I only see one spot online and $260 studded is a little tough to justify for how much I ride. And maybe I missed it, but what studs are people running? I could always buy unstudded and run a 45 nrth or something to bring the cost down. Or I could just go Wazia. I'm looking to run it in the rear only right now.
    If on a budget you can buy Bud/Lou and put screws in 7/16 some people are satisfied

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    They are $140 unstudded so just add in studs from bikestud.com and you're still below $200. You can probably find the tires 10-15% off online as well.

I've not run bud/lou, but I can say that the J5 is hands-down a better front tire for deep and loose snow than the Snowshoe 2XL, Dillinger 5, and 4.6" Cake eater. The big lugs really keep the front tire from washing out.

Also, the 320 stud pockets make for a great evening of hand strength exercises, though the studs do go in quite easily compared to the 2XL.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, the bikestuds work well. Similar profile to the terrene studs (in terms of height and diameter) so they penetrate well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cere8 View Post
    I know Mikesee has a bunch of studded tires on sale....I don't know if these are among them....maybe ping him here or via his lacemine29.com site

mtbr member
    After a quick few pm's here on 11/29, I forwarded email i sent from earlier this year with specifics of the issues i had with the tires and *POOF*, gone.

Brutal customer service. I had a 45nrth dunder sidewal fail and it was relaced by my LBS 2 days after I returned the tire. Currently riding 4.5 gnars snd I know my lbs would replace them if I had issues too. Stories like this make me glad I got gnars over the terrenes. When spending $500cdn on tires/studs you expect some customer service/warranty. I've even had maxxis send me a replacement ardent race no questions asked when I had 1 show up with a crooked bead/sidewall that wouldn't hold sealant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live in Quebec and here Terrene service has a terrible reputation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Circling back around...
    After some miles....it's 123mm on a 100mm rim at 4.5 psi...measured with a $400 Longacre gauge.
    Which gives me 2mm chainstay clearance on a Borealis Echo....too tight...especially if it stretches more. So it's a little bigger than a well stretched Lou

Riding yesterday....it was a great tire on a frozen base with 1/2 inch of new snow on top.
    A dillinger 5 studded was faster....but the J5 studs hooked up better.
    Hoping to get some snow here to try it in different and deeper conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The D 5 studs are not the best. A guy here has 150 gripstuds/tire for 6 years and are better than his wife D 5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The D 5 studs are not the best. A guy here has 150 gripstuds/tire for 6 years and are better than his wife D 5.
    Grips studs have their place.....just not on a regular basis.
    Unless you want a heavy slow tire...that is really good on pure ice and really bad everywhere...and i do mean everywhere...else

mtbr member
    Why? Since you can put Gripstuds in any tire, why would they be heavier and why would they be a pure ice tire only?

A friend Gripstudded his FBF/FBR and they work well, nothing like my Wrathchilds, but very well overall.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elitest thrill junkie
    D5 studs are the best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Why? Since you can put Gripstuds in any tire, why would they be heavier and why would they be a pure ice tire only?

A friend Gripstudded his FBF/FBR and they work well, nothing like my Wrathchilds, but very well overall.
    Grip studs are larger and heavier than the studs used in factory studded tires. The stud tips on the Grip Studs are also taller and a little bit thicker than the factory type, push in studs. I think one would be hard pressed to find a non studded tire that featured enough knobs of adequate size to take a grip stud so as to be on the same level of ice traction as a factory studded tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    People around here are real happy with 100-150 gripstud/tire no need for over 220 and D 5 are swimmers. For soft, real 4.8 are floaters. D5 should not even be mentioned here everyone agrees that they are allaround this thread is about big floating tires will they fit the frame? will they deliver traction on snow? on ice? Sofar in many months there are lots of maybe.
    Last edited by 33red; 01-06-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I was just ribbing you, D5 studs are ok, definitely not super, but it makes a great all around tire, and used on a 90-100mm rim, balloons out nicely. J5 studs are on the next level, due to concentration and contact IME.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I donít think 4 3/8Ē for a D5 is ballooning on a 100mm wheel. The only way to get decent float is to air them way down and you are left with a miserable, power hopping and robbing bike that is slow and more difficult to pedal than necessary. Iíd rather run a set of grip studded bud/Louís at a higher pressure with their wider footprint since they are more efficient and faster than D5ís. If a guy mostly rides just hard pack or icy conditions the. D5ís are great. Get them in a situation where float and traction become issues than they leave much to be desired, particularly for their ridiculously high price.

mtbr member
    That depends on rider weight. I had a hard time with the D5ís and my 210# frame so I upgraded to the Wrathchilds, which despite being on the same carcass, are light years beyond the D5. My wife, who is 140#, positively excels on the D5ís and doesnít need to air them down nearly as much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That depends on rider weight. I had a hard time with the D5ís and my 210# frame so I upgraded to the Wrathchilds, which despite being on the same carcass, are light years beyond the D5. My wife, who is 140#, positively excels on the D5ís and doesnít need to air them down nearly as much.
    Ditto. The traction provided by the Wrathchilds far exceeded that of the D5 in loose snow, deep snow, nasty surfaces, and especially ice. Did I roll slower? Maybe in a straight line on groomed snow, but the gains in straightline traction and cornering grip more than made up for it (on my local trails anyways)

D5 studs are the best.

I haven't spent a ton of time on them yet this winter, but the Terrene crown studs have been super impressive relative to anything else, and especially compared to the 45N concave stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I haven't spent a ton of time on them yet this winter, but the Terrene crown studs have been super impressive relative to anything else, and especially compared to the 45N concave stuff.
    Err, see my later comment, what you quoted was in jest. I really like the smaller diameter Terrence/bikestud studs, they seem to penetrate very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Can someone compare the J5 to a Jumbo Jim 4.8? The JJ will fit in my frame but just barely. Trying to determine if the J5 will. I have the D5 on 100mm rims and those fit but as others have said they are much smaller that labeled.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Can someone compare the J5 to a Jumbo Jim 4.8? The JJ will fit in my frame but just barely. Trying to determine if the J5 will. I have the D5 on 100mm rims and those fit but as others have said they are much smaller that labeled.

Thanks in advance.
    The Schwalbe is much smaller than the J5
    The 4.8 easily fit my frame....the J5 fits with 2mm to spare....but will probably bloom a bit more.
    Wasn't a fan of the schwalbe in most winter conditions that I ride in.( might be different for where you are)
    Last edited by the mayor; 01-09-2019 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe you can mesure your JJ 4.8. What size are your rims?
    My Bud/Lou on 90 mm 1.5 year installed are just a bit less than 4.8 so on 100mm they are real 4.8. My Fatboy 2017 came with 4.6 GroundControl. If real 4.8 are too much you might like the 4.6 Specialized GroundContol. They can be found on the cheap as take off or with a few miles. If you like traction and they fit Bud/Lou will please you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got mine!! Bought them unstudded and installed my own... with 6.5mm ones from china.

Just mounted them last night so haven't put them next to 2XL's yet, but without a side-by-side, I can tell they're way less volume and tread probably not as deep. The bajillion studs are sexy AF, though!

And I'm happy (also, a little disappointed) to see that it fits in my stupid Farley5 fork. ;-)

Terrene Johnny 5-johnny.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Got mine!! Bought them unstudded and installed my own... with 6.5mm ones from china.

Just mounted them last night so haven't put them next to 2XL's yet, but without a side-by-side, I can tell they're way less volume and tread probably not as deep. The bajillion studs are sexy AF, though!

And I'm happy (also, a little disappointed) to see that it fits in my stupid Farley5 fork. ;-)

Name:	johnny.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	1234745
    We will be looking forward to read about their performance.
    Please include your weight, the last tires you used in snow.
    Are they suggesting to mount both in the same direction?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Those studs look deadly. Wheredju get them from if you dont mind me asking? Website...? Ebay....?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleBeast View Post
    Those studs look deadly. Wheredju get them from if you dont mind me asking? Website...? Ebay....?
    You think those look deadly. I was playing around with these too. 8mm overall length, like rolling on little hedgehogs!;-)

Both came from AliBaba...

Terrene Johnny 5-studs2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post

Name:	johnny.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	1234745
    Woahh those look like they would be hard extremely hard rolling, up their with gnars but probabaly even worse because of the weight and size of sharp lug. Can you or anyone else compare them to a 4.5 studded gnar?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskrider View Post
    Woahh those look like they would be hard extremely hard rolling, up their with gnars but probabaly even worse because of the weight and size of sharp lug. Can you or anyone else compare them to a 4.5 studded gnar?
    Don't really see the studs making a difference on soft surfaces and the only hard surface I ride on is ice, sooooo... ;-)

No Gnar's to put next to it, I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    I was refering to the lug being sharp not ramped to reduce rolling resistance. I'm a strong believer in studs and don't ride in winter without them! Me too no commuting just singletrack. Those should rip in the fresh, icy and technical

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was refering to the lug being sharp not ramped to reduce rolling resistance. I'm a strong believer in studs and don't ride in winter without them! Me too no commuting just singletrack. Those should rip in the fresh, icy and technical

Well my other winter tires are 2XL's, so these should feel pretty darn zippy!

sluice box
    Grip studs are larger and heavier than the studs used in factory studded tires. The stud tips on the Grip Studs are also taller and a little bit thicker than the factory type, push in studs. I think one would be hard pressed to find a non studded tire that featured enough knobs of adequate size to take a grip stud so as to be on the same level of ice traction as a factory studded tire.
    wrong having run D5, Escalator (d4), Cake Eater 4 and 5, Wazia 4 and 5, Snowshoe, and all with of these non-studded tires studded with 150 Grip Studs per tire; Nate Ground Control 4.6, Bud and Lou. The Nate and Bud and Lou with GS are some of the best ice tires out there. I'm not saying fast but pure traction on ice.
    ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    They have two sizes the ones that come on the Wazia and J5 and the fast rolling short stud on the cake eater. The Cake Eater studs are junk even in the crown style.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member

Thanks in advance.
    If the JJ 4.8 is tight, there is no way a J5 will fit. A friend is running the JJ4.8ís on his Big Jon and they measured 4.5Ē whereas the J5ís are a true 4.8 (mine are 4.85Ē on 100mm rims).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    That has been my experience with them. I rode last weekend on some sheet ice that you couldnít even walk up and they stuck like glue, I was even surprised when the front tire lifted since it never did that with the D5ís, even with the spacers under each stud. Iím sold on them and sold the D5ís already since we wouldnít be needing them anymore.

A friend was right behind me using my Wrathchilds and he was able to keep up no problem, but he didnít venture off-trail into the deeper snow like I did with the J5ís.

Terrene Johnny 5-c71f3fd5-019f-4e82-8fe2-780688dd1c8c.jpg
    Terrene Johnny 5-ee614d3a-814c-4447-ab4a-ce3f4c10ec03.jpg
    Terrene Johnny 5-5a28669d-9eba-478e-9d26-2464979a568d.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    After 3 months of reading about Terrene and the J5 facts are:
    - their service warranty is bad
    - their facts are highly questionable
    - some of their studs are terrible
    - the J5 is just a bit bigger than the Bud/Lou so does not fit many frames
    - their heavy weight is kind of a pain
    - the BS is spread heavily

Elitest thrill junkie
    Did you not realize you were buying a big tire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am no idiot.
    I never bought into that BS.
    640 studs is just non sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    They were as heavy as they said they would be
    They were just a bit bigger than bud/Lou just like the measurements said
    Used cup studs like jayem
    Bought them knowing terrene is a bike company and a flakey one at that, so bought from a retailer that is good with cs.

Didn't fit my bike, but they will sit in the loft waiting a new frame. (Somehow bent rear triangle, even bud lou wont fit now, rocking mid 4 inch tires until a new frame can be decided on.)

640 studs is awesome on our frozen rivers, got to test them on a borrowed bike.

That's a very different takeaway than the one that people whom own and have actually ridden them have come away with.

Do you ride bikes, or the internet?
    Last edited by mikesee; 01-24-2019 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Your facts are nothing but your opinion...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I am no idiot.
    I never bought into that BS.
    640 studs is just awesome.
    FTFY.

I have ridden them in conditions where I need studs and they are great, a big step above the studded D4/D5 tires I was using previously. These are taking it to the next level where it gets to be "fun" rather than the studs on the other tires just kind of for "survival". Some of that is very terrain dependent, but a few months ago when we got rain on top of old snow that froze and stayed around for a month, I was still out there riding our new flow and tech trails every night when they were abandoned, because the tires made it possible to ride like normal. Even still, riding in such conditions is a situation where you almost can't have "too many studs", just like in some conditions you almost can't have "too fat" of a tire. The tires obviously aren't for you, but I don't find them to be overhyped, I find them to work very well, and I'm highly satisfied with the purchase, just like when I stepped up to D5s and originally bypassed the D4s.

Terrene Johnny 5-img_5938.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice summary of internet "facts".

Perhaps spend more time riding and less reading then get back to us with an actual review based on personal experience...then again, don't bother.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Breaking news tonight at 5:30: Fat Tires are Fat.

This is so ridiculous, the tire was supposed to be a "step up" in size. You didn't buy it because you were looking for a 4.5" tire, you bought it because you were looking for a step up in float and studs. If you didn't know this...then...wow.

mtbr member
    FTFY.

I have ridden them in conditions where I need studs and they are great, a big step above the studded D4/D5 tires I was using previously. These are taking it to the next level where it gets to be "fun" rather than the studs on the other tires just kind of for "survival". Some of that is very terrain dependent, but a few months ago when we got rain on top of old snow that froze and stayed around for a month, I was still out there riding our new flow and tech trails every night when they were abandoned, because the tires made it possible to ride like normal. Even still, riding in such conditions is a situation where you almost can't have "too many studs", just like in some conditions you almost can't have "too fat" of a tire. The tires obviously aren't for you, but I don't find them to be overhyped, I find them to work very well, and I'm highly satisfied with the purchase, just like when I stepped up to D5s and originally bypassed the D4s.
    This is right on the money.

I rode with no studs for years and got tired of Russian Roulette on whether Iíd go down or not.

Then I bought Dillinger 5ís and ran them for a few years, and they were game changers.

But the traction just wasnít there. I had to put spacers under the studs to get them to grip better but their non-packed snow traction was still lacking. Still, they enabled me to get out when I wanted, in most conditions.

Then the Wrathchild came out and I was excited due to their different and more aggressive tread pattern, which when coupled with the XL studs, looked formidable. They were leaps and bounds above tithe Dillingers but their shortcoming was their same width. Still, they were very good and much improved, so I was happy.

Until the Johnny5 came out, and I was intrigued. I found a pair for sale, new, for a very nice price and pulled the trigger. They were unstudded so I decided to stud them up with the same XL studs I loved in the Wrathchilds.

Heaven.

I can go where I want due to their enormous width, which means no more breaking through on trails, and they are the largest that will possibly fit my frame, so there is no ďmoreĒ to be had. In addition to their width, the 320 studs gripped like glue when I hit the ice, which is often. I actually lifted the front tire on an icy hill that I honestly never thought Iíd make but wanted to try anyway to see where the tires failed. They did not. I now find myself standing while cranking up hills I never would have considered in the past with most other tires. The exception is the Wrathchild, which is a close second and whould be my first choice if these did not fit.

I do not find them heavy or slow, and they are aggressive without being overly so, and Iím happy. Time will tell because the snow conditions vary so much here in Maine from day to day, or even hour to hour. Just a few days ago it was -5įF in the morning and tonight itís 50įF. To say itís crazy is an understatement.

So forgive me if I do not subscribe to the list 33red posted, for the reasons listed above from my personal experiences so far.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Wow, impressive. You can see the confidence you have in them with the way you were riding. I havenít mounted mine yet as Iím out of commmision recovering from surgery. Hopefully Iíll get some time on them before the end of the season.

mtbr member
    On heavy and slow... back in December I managed to have the fastest time in the JP Fat Pursuit 60k from the aid station to the top of the hill...

Sure that is a worthless Strava metric that is totally not comparable to anything and barely relevant... but at least my internet opinion of Ďthey arenít slowí is backed up by one real world data point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If anyone has some J5's and wants to trade for some like new Wrathchilds, lmk!

My wife and I and some riding partners have been comparing the Johnny 5 to the Vee 2XL. I've been writing about it for a few weeks, here: https://lacemine29.blogspot.com/sear...ng%20one%20two

Because it's a blog it lists the results last first, and first last. So you have to read backwards, in a manner of speaking.

Most recent post has some test results from a direct, quantitative comparison. The results might surprise you -- they did us.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've finally gotten out a little more in the last few weeks on the mid-winter snow conditions, after being off the bike for a few months post-surgery. I can't do aggressive stuff, but I can at least ride some of the easy stuff. I still love the traction provided by the J5. I still find myself taking lines that I'd slip off of otherwise. Today was soft with some powder, but mostly soft-packed. Still get immense grip and I feel like I can really ride it aggressive, vs. lesser tires that wash out when you try to push them.

There is no doubt there's rolling resistance. I don't think it's bad on snow surfaces, but I definitely noticed it the day of the earthquake when I rode the latter half of the day around the city on the bike paths. I wouldn't choose this tire for a race unless soft conditions were guaranteed. Otherwise my D5 rolls much faster.

I've found the traction though to be great with the J5, in all conditions I've tried.

It's interesting to see my tracks when I ride back home...it is really wide

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Finally bought a set for my old ML. I was very pleased with the traction for bush whacking action - my favorite kind of riding.
    It reminded me of riding on my old Freddie Revenz tires when I first got them.
    Destination Exploration

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Hey Rodney - thats me, the owner of Terrene. What name did you email me under? I cant find anything under "Rodney", but I would like to make sure we have followed up with any issues you have. We do care, so I want to make sure dont feel this way. .

This morning, someone here asked me about what i thought of Terrene. I told them the whole story, and told them I would find the posts. So, here it is.

Been almost a year, still no contact. So, if you have a problem with a Terrene tire, they don't give a sh!t about you. I will continue to avoid Terrene tires until something changes.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    posted on 11/29/18
    Precisely the reason we spend very little time here now. Would love to spend more time here helping customers and answering questions, but sorting through the drivel is like
    Apparently, retail customers paying full pop that get tires that are junk, then post their experiences, and the lack of support from your company is "drivel"...

Still not happy, and frankly, I am aggrivated about this again. I will continue to steer anyone/everyone away from Terrene when i can.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Somebody needs a little chamois butter to help with the chapped azz.

I have some McFlys and am happy with the quality. I would not hesitate to buy other Terrene products.

As with most things, YMMV.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Somebody needs a little chamois butter to help with the chapped azz.
    you are right. i paid for something, it was sh1t, the owner said he would make it right after multiple attempts and nothing ever happened. i should fade away.

thanks. i needed that slap into reality. you want to start a tire company? we could sell garbage, then ignore customers! wow, what a business plan. i should start a kickstarter campaign...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Iíve not had the same issues and have found the tires to be very good, the best Iíve found for our winters actually.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    May 2019

best new england studded fat tire?

My wife and I and some riding partners have been comparing the Johnny 5 to the Vee 2XL. https://lacemine29.blogspot.com/sear...ng%20one%20two

Iíll soon be buying a pair of fat bike snow tires for my daughter's bike. I was planning on the 2XL until I heard of their ability to cake up with snow. That sounds miserable. We ride in New England and have nearly every possible snow condition at any given time throughout the winter. Any recommendations on what the best New England tire is?
    My wife and I both ride studded J5ís (from a shop in CO) and love them. I would like to keep the costs low if possible on these new tires and because of that I will be studding the new tires myself with the Bikestud's flat tip studs.
    Are the 2 XL a mistake for these conditions? Are the J5ís the best way to go? Other recommendations would be appreciated also. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1818 View Post
    Iíll soon be buying a pair of fat bike snow tires for my daughter's bike. I was planning on the 2XL until I heard of their ability to cake up with snow. That sounds miserable. We ride in New England and have nearly every possible snow condition at any given time throughout the winter. Any recommendations on what the best New England tire is?
    My wife and I both ride studded J5ís (from a shop in CO) and love them. I would like to keep the costs low if possible on these new tires and because of that I will be studding the new tires myself with the bike studded flat tip studs.
    Are the 2 XL a mistake for these conditions? Are the J5ís the best way to go? Other recommendations would be appreciated also. Thank you.
    I am a bit north(Quebec) for a ride everyday i am super pleased with Bud/Lou. They fit most frames, great floating + great traction. I buy them lightly used for like 99$US each. If you use screws just a bit out is plenty and safer than what many do.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I am a bit north(Quebec) for a ride everyday i am super pleased with Bud/Lou. They fit most frames, great floating + great traction. I buy them lightly used for like 99$US each. If you use screws just a bit out is plenty and safer than what many do.
    Thx for the reply...! worth considering and looking around for some good used options.

mtbr member
    My wife and I both ride studded J5ís (from a shop in CO) and love them. I would like to keep the costs low if possible on these new tires and because of that I will be studding the new tires myself with the Bikestud's flat tip studs.
    I am in Maine and ride the same conditions. I rode the Wrathchild and found them awesome, just not quite enough float for my 205# frame.

Bikeman.com has a deal on Wrathchilds, $129.95 with free shipping. Itís a GREAT deal on a tire I highly recommend. If my did not run a set and I didnít have the J5ís, Iíd be all over these. Theyíre my LBS and great people as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I am in Maine and ride the same conditions. I rode the Wrathchild and found them awesome, just not quite enough float for my 205# frame.

Bikeman.com has a deal on Wrathchilds, $129.95 with free shipping. Itís a GREAT deal on a tire I highly recommend. If my did not run a set and I didnít have the J5ís, Iíd be all over these. Theyíre my LBS and great people as well.
    ‚Äč

I had not considered those as they look like a bit of a beast, but after talking with the shop today they say the deeper lugs are pretty beneficial in soft or loose conditions. How low can you run the pressure in these, when the conditions get soft?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Got mine mounted today. They just barely fit on a 2017 KHS 4 SEASON 3000.

Terrene Johnny 5-johnny5_1.jpg

On the top ring.

Terrene Johnny 5-johnny5_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonoff View Post
    Got mine mounted today. They just barely fit on a 2017 KHS 4 SEASON 3000.

Name:	Johnny5_1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	1295105

On the top ring.

Name:	Johnny5_2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	1295107

If they're new and they barely fit you will likely have problems down the road, because tires stretch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    If they're new and they barely fit you will likely have problems down the road, because tires stretch.
    Should be fine. Have them at 24psi (25max) to seat the beads so they're expanded more than they will be at the 6-8psi I'll run them at

Elitest thrill junkie
    Another vote for should be fine. On my 2nd 170 fat bike I ran a D5 close to the chain and it was fine. There was only a couple mm of clearance there at most and it was never an issue, never wore anything, etc. Modern clutch derailleurs keep tension and you shouldn't have any issues if the chain is the closest point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    @10psi on a 100mm wheel I measure 4.86" at the outer tread blocks. The casing was slightly wider (4.91" I believe). Quite a bit wider at 24psi so maybe that's how they got sneaky with the 5" claim?

Another vote for should be fine. On my 2nd 170 fat bike I ran a D5 close to the chain and it was fine. There was only a couple mm of clearance there at most and it was never an issue, never wore anything, etc. Modern clutch derailleurs keep tension and you shouldn't have any issues if the chain is the closest point.
    Tons of room now at 10psi

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just be carefull with the front,if it goes bones might pay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone know if the J5 will fit a 2017 Norco Sasquatch with a bluto?
    If it helps any, I am currently running the stock Maxxis Colossus 4.8" tires on mulefoot 80s with decent clearance front and rear.

I found a poster above who said the J5 will just barely clear the bluto. Anyone else riding this combo currently?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just be carefull with the front,if it goes bones might pay.
    Not 100% sure what this means but there's tons of room in the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not 100% sure what this means but there's tons of room in the front.
    Some say since they do not offer a *front specific* it might go in some conditions.

mtbr member
    Some say since they do not offer a *front specific* it might go in some conditions.
    Real world experience with them or just speculation?
    My experience with them so far is that they "go" where they're pointed, plenty of traction with these tires.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Real world experience with them or just speculation?
    My experience with them so far is that they "go" where they're pointed, plenty of traction with these tires.
    I read that a while ago so it was probably off camber or soft snow i just do not remember the specific(real experience). Here in Quebec we are exposed to evrything. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    I read that a while ago so it was probably off camber or soft snow i just do not remember the specific(real experience). Here in Quebec we are exposed to evrything. Happy trails.
    I did a lot of reading before dropping $640 (canadian) on them, don't recall any bad reviews, just found your statement somewhat misleading given you haven't actually tried them out. All tires are going to struggle a bit in winter conditions, so far these have been impressive (coming from D5's and Wrathchild's), better float and great grip with big side lugs for cornering. Happy trails..
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You could have saved yourself some typing by just saying , "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian06 View Post
    If it helps any, I am currently running the stock Maxxis Colossus 4.8" tires on mulefoot 80s with decent clearance front and rear.

I found a poster above who said the J5 will just barely clear the bluto. Anyone else riding this combo currently?
    Mounted on a OBD rim (80mm), gives about 5-6mm arch clearance and 4-5mm on the sides, may stretch a bit as tire is relatively new.
    Sorry for the sideways pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-j5-bluto.jpg  

'18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mounted on a OBD rim (80mm), gives about 5-6mm arch clearance and 4-5mm on the sides, may stretch a bit as tire is relatively new.
    Mounted on a 100mm rim....mine fit a Bluto when new. After a few rides, even at around 4 psi...the studs left marks on the fork arch just riding around the yard.
    It does fit in a Mastodon with room to spare.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian06 View Post

Go for it! I run the Mulefoot 80's & studded J5's on a Bluto with no trouble at all...never even gave it a second thought.

Can't help at all though with the Norco Sasquatch rear clearances.

Rippin da fAt

Fundy's winter wall ride pix! Gotta love that style...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mounted on a 100mm rim....mine fit a Bluto when new. After a few rides, even at around 4 psi...the studs left marks on the fork arch just riding around the yard.
    It does fit in a Mastodon with room to spare.
    Thanks, good to know. I've been riding it on the Ithaqua with a rigid fork, just moved it over to the Bucksaw to see if it would fit. Have to try it out again later when it has a few more miles on it, snow has just recently arrived here on the East coast so hopefully I'll get some more ride time in on it now!
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good to know, I might hold off and use my Colossus for one more winter.

mtbr member
    Iíve used the J5 as a front tire last year for a bit, but from my experience the bud has more cornering grip and is more predictable. I certainly wouldnít say the J5 was bad, but he bud went back on after a few rides. Bud front and J5 rear is a killer combo for the conditions I ride. J5 front and rear is nice too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I really don't have anything useful to add to this thread, but I am flabbergasted at the sheer size of johnny 5s on 105 rims. Amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live in New England and have a couple seasons worth of experience on the white "pure silica" 2XLs and have never had issues with snow caking up on them. They're amazing tires. The 2XLs are not studable, however.

Unfortunately, the best tires for New England are a collection of tires. 2XL for deep powder and mushy snow, Wrathchilds with XL studs for refrozen conditions, etc. I'm curious to try the Johnny 5 tires, they may be able to bridge some of the conditions we see.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I live in New England and have a couple seasons worth of experience on the white "pure silica" 2XLs and have never had issues with snow caking up on them. They're amazing tires. The 2XLs are not studable, however.

Unfortunately, the best tires for New England are a collection of tires. 2XL for deep powder and mushy snow, Wrathchilds with XL studs for refrozen conditions, etc. I'm curious to try the Johnny 5 tires, they may be able to bridge some of the conditions we see.
    Though my winter riding experience is limited, the Johnny 5 might just be that 'collection of tires' all by it self.

The studded Wrathchilds were on my short list but it doesn't match the volume of the J5. The 2XL's are def bigger but lots of high-grip studs, at least in my mind, are a necessity for the constantly changing New England conditions.
    Last edited by ch1818; 1 Week Ago at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If anyone wants to sell their J5 or work out a trade for wrathchilds lmk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    First ride today on a full day of freeing rain + a couple dustings of snow.

Coming from Snowshoe XL with pointed studs. The J5s with triple traction studs are a night and day difference. The upgrade is already worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Coming from Snowshoe XL with pointed studs. The J5s with triple traction studs are a night and day difference. The upgrade is already worth it.
    When you try a studded Bud you will praise the power steering, Halleluya !
    Our season/pre-season = 18 rides in 18 days, no tree armed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

When you try a studded Bud you will praise the power steering, Halleluya !
    Our season/pre-season = 18 rides in 18 days, no tree harmed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    got a few rides in on my studded J5's. They are amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrene Johnny 5-mtbr.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast