mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tell me about your first time...

Hi - new to the forum - I've just moved to Vermont from Australia. I hear they get snow up here and I see snowmobile trails everywhere so I've got big tires on the brain.

I'm curious to know how people got started with their fat bikes. New/complete, second hand, long term loan, franken-bike from your part bins...?

Craigslist and eBay haven't been very fruitful in the used bikes (20" Pugsley is what I've been looking for) department and a new/complete bike seems steep.

The Moonlander won't be touching down until after Christmas and a 50% deposit at the LBS for a special order will put an end to the used bike search.

My parts bin is limited to cross and road bits so I don't have a lot of on-hand inventory to cobble something together even if I found a suitable frame.

Take the plunge or cross my fingers and hope to luck out?

What did you do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    When I moved from the desert to Fargo last year I was in a similar situation. I'd have to deal with snow in order to commute, and I figured a fat bike would fit the bill. I also had a handful of bike parts and wanted to build one up. After a couple PM's with G-reg, he pointed me towards a shop with a Pugsley, and the rest is history. I bought a complete/custom build and never regretted it.

I would suggest diving in. Let your body get used to the wider cranks and really learn how to handle a fatbike before snow falls. You'll be in much better position for the winter.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes, take the plunge and cross your fingers hoping everything will work out

I bought my Pugs on ebay three years ago. I ended up upgraded everything except the headset and seat post. I probably could buy three new Pugs for what I have in mine, but it's a really sweet ride on and off road.

Come on in......the water's fine

Black Sheep rising
    I bought my Pugsley complete. I'll be selling it complete as soon as my Carver frame comes in. Oddly enough, it's a 20".
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Once you've had a fatbike for a while you realise that those objects hidden under months of dust in your shed are your other bikes.

Best to set them free...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

PUG U!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Once you've had a fatbike for a while you realise that those objects hidden under months of dust in your shed are your other bikes.

Best to set them free...

Cheesiest
    Just realized I needed one and went to flea bay to do a complete build. Do it!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Bought mine used from Ben Witt at Milltown Cycles. It was too big for me, but once I got the thing rolling I kept thinking What is this thing?, and Why haven't I returned inside to buy it?, and then Oh because it still too much fun to stop test riding.

The bad fit and component selection not being what I wanted eventually did wear on me - I used the bike as a stepping stone, sold it (piece of cake), and built up a fatty more suited to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I walked into LBS in Duluth MN and saw a Salsa Mukluk last year model. Took it for a spin around the block. Felt cooler than a popsicle, did some online research and became the first to order a Mukluk 2 in town. Now all is over except the waitin.......... Gives me smiles to stop in and chat with the mechanical boys who know I am all aglow with anticipation......

Originally it was going to be part of my commuting scene but with the price and the roads, i will either have to take more off beaten trails to work or find a beater to put studs on because it is harder to get excited about putting it through the daily work load and foul climes of a commuter. But maybe I obsess to much...definitely will be riding the snowmobile trails with it and maybe when the newness wears off I will treat it like what it is.... a bike.

Cwolfe

Rednose/Greenback
    Lusted after a Pugs for years. Hated not buying one in '09 given all the time I spent near a beach. Lurked on these boards for a while before finally joining this past summer. Read up on (and still do) the vast resources available on fat bikes in this forum. And then last month, I got lucky with an opportunity to test ride a Fatback. It was winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Now money is down on a green ALU 18" frame (+ Hadleys). Still on the fence about stem length, shifters and handlebar choices, not to mention the plethora of tire options suddenly available. But at least I'm in the build queue, with time to fine tune component selection a bit more. Hope to be riding it in the next month when the leaves turn.

In the meantime, I'll continue riding my 'bent & SS (while burning incense and chicken feathers to speed up UPS).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Built my Pugs up last winter in response to the record Northeast snow. The snow was melted by the time I was done. I found a leftover ('07 Ithink - It's grey) frame for around $300, and bought all new parts from eBay, Chainlove, and random web stores. I found a fair number of complete used bikes on eBay and Craigslist (used SearchTempest to search all Craigs locations). I found that they sold fast, and used bikes went for nearly as much as new ones.

I test rode it on dry trails and it was so much fun it became my regular ride. I have some pretty pricey bikes (rigid Merlin SS conversion, Maverick) gathering dust as a result.

Get one! If you don't like it, you can sell it pretty easily, especially once the snow starts to fall.

Cheers,
    Pat

mtbr member
    Where did you move to in Vermont?
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    ... learn how to handle a fatbike before snow falls...
    That's the other problem with the Moonlander; won't be able to see one until the new year. The 'smart' choice would be a Pugsley but I don't think I'll be able to help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    I bought my Pugsley complete. I'll be selling it complete as soon as my Carver frame comes in. Oddly enough, it's a 20".
    Keep me in mind when it shows up - hopefully soon enough for both of us.

...Best to set them free...
    Not sure I'm quite ready for that!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Seemed those that have them keep them.
    It's a good sign I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Where did you move to in Vermont?
    I'm in Reading, south of Woodstock.

I've been talking to 'Old Spokes Home' in Burlington - have you got an LBS that is fat friendly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hawss View Post
    Hi - new to the forum - I've just moved to Vermont from Australia. I hear they get snow up here and I see snowmobile trails everywhere so I've got big tires on the brain.

I'm curious to know how people got started with their fat bikes. New/complete, second hand, long term loan, franken-bike from your part bins...?

Craigslist and eBay haven't been very fruitful in the used bikes (20" Pugsley is what I've been looking for) department and a new/complete bike seems steep.

The Moonlander won't be touching down until after Christmas and a 50% deposit at the LBS for a special order will put an end to the used bike search.

My parts bin is limited to cross and road bits so I don't have a lot of on-hand inventory to cobble something together even if I found a suitable frame.

Take the plunge or cross my fingers and hope to luck out?

What did you do?
    Like everyone else is saying,just do it you won`t be sorry .Your living in a great place for snow in most years & they are good even without snow As far as complete bikes go I think the moonlander is more $ then a complete pugs or mukluk.I don`t think you can put one together for what a pugs or muk go formaybe used parts ,but wheelsets & tires eat up a lot of $ I`am not sure any LBS have or could get any leftovers,but I think there may be some mailorder shops that still have some good luck KP

Lighten up.

Best to set them free...
    Very true. If my wife hadn't bought me a sweet dedicated road machine, my Fatback would be my only bike, as I sold all my of fleet to finance it.

But, to the OP's original question: I started with a Pugsley frame/fork and built it up last winter. Then I got wind of the titanium Fatback from Speedway, lost my mind, sold everything (bikes, guns...) to fund and build the Fatback with two wheelsets: one fat and one 29er. Several months later, the 29er wheelset barely gets used. I stay on the fat meat...

EDIT: If I was doing it over again and didn't have the jack for a ti Fatback, I think I'd be looking hard at the Moonlander (instead of a Pugsley).

fading away
    Built mine up (paid about $1,000.00 than I had planned ) in my garage. Before that I had been running a semi-fat setup (Surly 1x1 running 26"x3" in front, 24"x3" in back, on 2.5" wide Surly Large Marge rims) which eventually had a fat front setup (same setup but with a non-offset Pugsley fork and an Endomorph) which was the serious stepping stone drug to going fully fat. But I believe it was my first fully-fat ride that sold me on the fully fat concept—taking the “wrong line” up a steep, rocky section on purpose just to see if I could manage—which I did, much to my surprise.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    I'd been hoping to try one as I live on the beach but hadn't seen one locally, when I walked to an LBS I'd been to many times before and they had one sitting on the floor. I came back that weekend and took it for a test ride and they mentioned they they had two more in other sizes, and I had them build up the small for another test - it was love at first ride and I went home with it that day even though I already had a custom 29er on order. (My wife rocks. )

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Best to set them free...
    This! I built mine from scratch, here in Florida there's a ton of sand and while riding with the other group they cuss me out more than any because they have to walk and I ride. Actually right now I'm in the process of getting all the parts need to covert my GF HIPRO 29er over to a full suspension phatty.