mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tell me about Alex Blizzerk tubeless rims/wheels

I have an On-One Fatty and am looking to upgrade the wheels and/or rims with Alex Blizzerk rims.

Bikesmiths has smoking deal on said rims and on wheelsets made with those rims. However, the wheelset comes with Novatec hubs and I've less than positive thoughts on these hubs.

This leads to 2 questions:

1. How tubeless ready are the rims, really. In real world conditions.
    2. Are the Novatec hubs garbage or should I get just the rims or the full Bikesmiths wheel build.

Pix are welcome.

mtbr member
    I've set up one set of 90's tubeless, but on BHS hubs. The setup is pretty standard for any rim with cutouts. The bead was very tight with van helgas. Holds very low pressures, insofar as we've been able to test it. You'll likely need shop air or an air charge type pump to do initial setup. I've broken two novatec hubs(one fat; one skinny). Both were cracked ratchet rings IIRC. But I got pretty good mileage out of them before that happened. I've broken every fat rear hub I've used except DT(so far).

I made my own rim strips, but used the Fatty Stripper setup, otherwise. Again, standard stuff, and works well, but you'll need more than a floor pump.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i have two sets of blizzerk 90's. love them to death...
    one set has DT Swiss hubs, and one set is from Bikesmith. novatech hubs are "ok". i think the front is fine, but the rear is the "ok" one. At some point i will upgrade the rear for a DT Swiss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The SL 90’s came stock on my FATBACK. Came with their house brand Alaska Hubs. Tight getting the bead setup on the JJ 4.8s when going tubeless, but like other poster said “it gives the ability to run really low air pressure”. I’ve got a ton of single track use on them and weigh about 260, so they’ve been pretty sturdy.
    Last edited by BigBran; 1 Week Ago at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If only this had been discussed before... https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/an...s-1091135.html

I will dry mount one of my extra fattie tires onto my wheel and try to get a video of it for reference, but I'm confident it will be a pretty awesome interface with zero issues.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I set up a set of the Bliz90 rims for a friends....set up, as said above, was easy for a cut out rim.

As far as the Novatech hubs....it depends.
    How big of a guy are you? ( big guys are tough on hubs...so the Nova may not be your best choice)
    I have a set with a lot of miles....and still going strong. But I pulled the freehub before using and cleaned out the heavy grease and put a good cold weather lube in there. I do this to all hubs.

mtbr member
    I have the Novatec D102SB 170mm rear hub 10mm axle and a Formula 150mm hub with Blizzerk 80s from Bikesimths. It has been a good wheelset these past couple years, especially given the price I paid. The hub engagement is reasonable but not at the level of the DT Swiss hubs. It's not flashy, but it gets the job done. The only minor issue I had was an end cap came loose on the rear which I tightened and have not had the issue since. I did spend a little time tightening the spokes, but I do that with all new wheelsets after riding them a bit. I haven't had to touch them since. I have not set them up tubeless, but have not experienced issues when running low pressures either. Whether you want/need better hub engagement is up to you.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone have a line on the 100mm version in the states? At $200 each, clown shoes seem a bit pricy for an aluminum rim, while the Alex would be in a range where I could try out wide rims.

turtles make me hot
    I just took delivery of two 70mm rims and I thought they looked so good I ordered a pair of 90's for one of my bikes. Right now the 70's are loose rims. I'm waiting for the spokes. Should have em today or tomorrow. Once I build them I'm mounting up Surly Ednas. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Anyone have a line on the 100mm version in the states? At $200 each, clown shoes seem a bit pricy for an aluminum rim, while the Alex would be in a range where I could try out wide rims.
    I haven't seen the Blizzerk 100 listed on any Euro sites....do they exist?
    Clown shoes are at Universal for $99

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    100 exist on Alex's site...idk if they exist in reality. Thanks for the heads up at universal... Though I would prefer a true tubeless design.