Tangle Bag and Mukluk?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Tangle Bag and Mukluk?

I am curious what size Revelate Designs Tangle bag people are using with their Mukluks? I have a large frame and am wondering if I should go with a large or medium bag?

What size are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If I were you I would get the Salsa specific framebag instead. Relevate designs sells them too. That said I have ordered both the Salsa framebag and a size small Tangle bag for another bike. The mediums seemed very long.

Email Eric and he will assist

[email protected]

Cheers

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    A medium tangle will fit length wise. The front strap is not long enough to go around the head tube and gusset, but it should hold fairly securely with the top tube straps and the DT strap.

The large Tangle is huge. If you are looking at that you may as well get the frame bag. Both of these will likely make using the bottle cages nearly impossible.

Here's a pic of the medium tangle in a large Mukluk frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tangle Bag and Mukluk?-p1040731.jpg  

I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Mechainc
    i have been trying to decide to get the tangle or frame bag?
    Winter is always here, stay Fat!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've got both...and here are my thoughts:

On my Vaytanium, the Tangle makes more sense, 95% of the time. You can run 2 bottles, in cages, in the triangle and still run the tangle (with some interference) on my 55cm frame.

On the Muk, there's no way the tangle will fit with bottles in cages...and the frame bag tends to be more suited to the kind of activities that the Muk inspires engaging in.

So if you're getting it for the Muk, go with the frame bag. There's no reason not too--it's not like the tangle will save you room for other stuff in the triangle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was having the same questions, thanks for the advice lawfarm! Looks like the frame bag for me.

Harmonius Wrench
    Dissenting Opinion Alert!

I am going to use a Tangle bag and no water bottle cages for winter riding. Why? Because water bottle cages with water bottles in them are basically useless. (freezing water is hard to drink, ya know? )

I can easily put two insulated thermos bottles in a Tangle bag, or use a hydration pack and keep the Tangle bag for other gear.

Just a thought there for ya all.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Great point--but you can run bottles or a hydration pack in a frame bag too--and have leftover room for food, gear, or clothes. That's what I did on the mud ride I posted about last week...

Mechainc
    All good points but I was wondering could I fit the same stuff in the tangle? I take with me a stove, fuel bottle, food and a battery for my light. Most likely I would be getting the Med bags of any type and think the same stuff might fit in the medium tangle. I have a 2011 med muk and borrowed a med frame bag and didn't think it fit a ton of stuff. I am sure I would be happy with either or just in the long run get both.
    Winter is always here, stay Fat!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Great point--but you can run bottles or a hydration pack in a frame bag too--and have leftover room for food, gear, or clothes. That's what I did on the mud ride I posted about last week...
    Right. That's obvious, isn't it? The question was about Tangle bags though, as I read it. Just sayin.

I have run my medium Tangle bag with a hydration bladder in it, and had a tube, tools, and nutrition in there as well. (This was on my gravel grinder)

The bottom line is, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. It all comes down to what your budget is, needs are, and ultimately what sort of set up plays to your strengths and doesn't hinder you.

Experimentation will sort it out for each individual. That said, my thought is that the Tangle Bag will force me to whittle my set up down to a basic, light, efficient one. Having lots of room, (frame bag, big hydration pack), only means that I will be tempted into carrying more stuff that I ultimately won't need and is dead weight.

YMMV
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Caveman
    get the full size bag if you want to put stuff like a stove, pot, surly tube in there. The height on the medium tangle will limit you if you try to put a pot in it. Maybe a jetboil will fit but I have not tried, kinda doubt it. The medium Muk is a fairly small frame space so you might as well make the most of it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Gt,
    Yeah--I am admittedly an overpacker. If I could bring myself to go light, I'm sure you're right.

Op,
    As noted above, the frame bag is probably 40% larger than the tangle.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I like carrying extra stuff with me. A micro cook kit and other items like that can really be a plus to winter rides.

FYI, I've set up a Large Mukluk frame bag in my Medium Mukluk frame. The larger size fits well and allows for the sides of the bag to expand much more than the Medium. As I like to carry a bunch of stuff, this is a plus for me.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Dissenting Opinion Alert!

I am going to use a Tangle bag and no water bottle cages for winter riding. Why? Because water bottle cages with water bottles in them are basically useless. (freezing water is hard to drink, ya know? )

I can easily put two insulated thermos bottles in a Tangle bag, or use a hydration pack and keep the Tangle bag for other gear.

Just a thought there for ya all.
    GT Put an Outdoor Reasearch water bottle insulated cover over your water bottle cage and the water will stay thawed for at least a couple of hours at minus 10 F. I have not tried it at any colder than that yet. It takes putting two small holes in the cover to mount the cage through and some gymnastics with the allen wrench inside the cover but it is nice to have water that does not freeze.
    Latitude 61

I'm a Target Too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    GT Put an Outdoor Reasearch water bottle insulated cover over your water bottle cage and the water will stay thawed for at least a couple of hours at minus 10 F. I have not tried it at any colder than that yet. It takes putting two small holes in the cover to mount the cage through and some gymnastics with the allen wrench inside the cover but it is nice to have water that does not freeze.
    sryanak, I like this. Thought: instead of using a standard Allen key, maybe try an Allen bit socket on an 1/8-inch drive ratchet. Should make snugging up those cage bolts less of a chore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11 View Post
    FYI, I've set up a Large Mukluk frame bag in my Medium Mukluk frame. The larger size fits well and allows for the sides of the bag to expand much more than the Medium. As I like to carry a bunch of stuff, this is a plus for me.
    Boy is that a good idea. If I had it to do over again, I'd get XL Mukluk frame bag for my Large Mukluk frame.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Good Idea! I will likely do like I did back when I rode 26"ers and IRC Blizzard tires in winter- I used about a 20% red wine to 80% water mixture on cold winter rides. You know.......antifreeze.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I ended up getting a large Tangle bag for my 2011 large Mukluk - it fits really well.... maybe a touch big for the frame - but not bad at all.... and allows for some extra storage. I am using it more as a saddle bag of sorts for a pump, tube, etc..... i found that i could use 20oz bottles with a side opening bottle cage just fine with the large tangle bag.

I do also have the Salsa/Revalate bag. I plan on using it more for overnighters. I cant imagine needing to carry that much stuff for even an all day ride.

Teaniner - for your med, i would get a medium tangle.... and if you want to try my large salsa bag on yours give me a call and you can try mine if you dont have one in stock. FAT CLUB RULES!

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    So I ended up getting a large Tangle bag for my 2011 large Mukluk - it fits really well.... maybe a touch big for the frame - but not bad at all.... and allows for some extra storage. I am using it more as a saddle bag of sorts for a pump, tube, etc..... i found that i could use 20oz bottles with a side opening bottle cage just fine with the large tangle bag.

I do also have the Salsa/Revalate bag. I plan on using it more for overnighters. I cant imagine needing to carry that much stuff for even an all day ride.

Teaniner - for your med, i would get a medium tangle.... and if you want to try my large salsa bag on yours give me a call and you can try mine if you dont have one in stock. FAT CLUB RULES!
    Can you post a pic of how well it fits? I'll likely never need to take a huge amount of stuff with me on any particular ride. Maybe a pump, tubes, storage place for a light weight rain slicker and such. Good to hear that a side opening cage will work.

Weird Eh
    I emailed Eric and he said a small Tangle works best for a Medium Muk frame. That;s what I got and it fits great

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm Just got a Medium Tangle bag for my 18" pugsley.. also realized the bottle holders are too close to the tangle. I wonder if there exist an adjustable water bottle holder where you can slide the cage further down the frame tube?

Otherwise, anyone wanna buy/trade for a brand new Medium Tangle bag? lol

...big and slow
    Chromey