mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Talk me out of a Walgoose Beast!

I'm just getting back into mountain biking, if you can say I was ever into it-I've never been to a real trail, and I haven't been out exploring in 8 years. Anyway, I wanna get into downhill riding, but my budget is pathetic. Like, sub-300 dollars pathetic.

Luckily, I grew up making trails out of sketchy hills on sub-100 dollar bikes, so I have absolutely no problem buying a heavy, single speed, coaster brake Mongoose Beast and dogging it until the stock components break... But therein lies the problem!

I trust Mongoose to build a frame that won't fall apart anytime soon, these are the guys who made the 1st BMX frame more or less. I already know everything else is gonna be cheap crap and break soon, but there have to be higher quality replacements... I hope. What replacement parts should I consider What should I be measuring? Is there a better no-budget, whole-bike solution? I'm open to starting from a bare frame, if it's worth it. I'm open to literally anything, I have no frame of reference for suffering here!

Also, this is my first post! Great forum, happy to be here. Can't wait to have some pics to post!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Update: Dynacraft makes a similar bike called the Krusher. Is the frame better than the Mongoose Beast? I'm basically just buying the bike for the frame at this price point, and upgrading components as I go. What offers the best start?

mtbr member
    Hi! I totally get where your coming from. Where are you located? What kind of trails are you riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I heard saw an interview with the CEO of one of the bigbox store bike mfrs. As you note, the frame isn't the weak spot, just the heavy one. It's the components that are cheap and make the bike rickety. Looking at it, I would wonder about the fork, the stem, and the bars. Those are the items probably likely to fail first and possibly catastrophically or unsafely. Next, the wheels.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Think used, you’ll do alot better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Hi! I totally get where your coming from. Where are you located? What kind of trails are you riding?
    Good to meet you! I'm from southeast Cleveland, right between the ghetto and the suburbs. Besides the typical metropolitan theives and such it's actually not a bad area so far as riding goes-lots of woody areas and hills. I basically ride whenever I'm not carrying a substantial amount or on a time limit - mostly street, light trails, I might goof around at a skate park if it's not crowded. I've been to Ray's and played around a bit, but there were serious riders in there and I kinda got stuck watching regulars on the jumps. I never formally 'rode a trail' that I know of(does Garfield Park count? It's just scenic, there's really no challenges I know of except the hill to the nature center), but that's gonna change soon!

I came from BMX but I got real big (6ft3 and 250+) before I got good. From there I had a series of terrible Wal-Mart Huffys that my uncle taught me how to change tires, true rims, adjust cheap Shimano derailleurs and pinch brakes on and me and my friends just used to dare each other to bomb hills until it got dark or somebody got hurt. Problem was the only formal 'scene' back then was chromey lowriders with stretch forks and banana seats, and I wanted action!

Then came high school, football, the streets, college, the streets again and work. That's the last 8yrs. Last year I had a beach cruiser I made a klunker of without knowing what a klunker was and caught the bug again, but then they stole my bike! I found the frame in somebody’s trash without wheels. I'm gonna rebuild that someday(and egg that house, too), but I want something ready to rock and winter is coming... So that's where I sit. Sorry for the life story.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the background info!

See if you can find a Dolomite or something similar. Then you will get disc brakes and gears. its worth the extra $$$.

I have done a couple beasts, and a couple Dolomites. They can be a lot if fun! In my opinion, your better off with the upgraded brakes, and multiple gears.

Then have fun upgrading it! Just remember, your not going to get your money back out if it, but the fun and exercise is worth it!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    All I will add, as I have nothing positive to say about your plan, other than good on you for getting out and riding again, and asking a few questions so you don't make an expensive mistake?

Don't be marketed to. You are falling into the trap they just love to have you fall into.

Huge companies buy name brands, literally, the name. In hopes of duping people into thinking, "whoa, that's a Schwinn for $89? My grampa had a Schwinn, those are nice bikes, so that's an insane deal".

Mongoose of old, is in no way involved in the Mongoose of Walmart. So expecting even the slightest degree of value parity with the original marquee, is a big mistake.

It's a turd, made from the poorest quality components and parts possible, all to hit a certain price point.

Best advice in here is from Sam, buy used.

Your $300 will go way further, buying a previously enjoyed $700 Jamis, KHS, Fuji, Raleigh, Norco, Rocky Mountain etc, than throwing good money against bad, by buying a bike that was literally designed to last for 10 hours of riding.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    All I will add, as I have nothing positive to say about your plan, other than good on you for getting out and riding again, and asking a few questions so you don't make an expensive mistake?

Don't be marketed to. You are falling into the trap they just love to have you fall into.

Huge companies buy name brands, literally, the name. In hopes of duping people into thinking, "whoa, that's a Schwinn for $89? My grampa had a Schwinn, those are nice bikes, so that's an insane deal".

Mongoose of old, is in no way involved in the Mongoose of Walmart. So expecting even the slightest degree of value parity with the original marquee, is a big mistake.

It's a turd, made from the poorest quality components and parts possible, all to hit a certain price point.

Your $300 will go way further, buying a previously enjoyed $700 Jamis, KHS, Fuji, Raleigh, Norco, Rocky Mountain etc, than throwing good money against bad, by buying a bike that was literally designed to last for 10 hours of riding.
    Agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    If you buy a Walmart bike, then it is only for style. It will be $300 wasted as far as performance/reliability goes. Look used, even if you need to save up a bit.

If you want to get some exercise and hit some trails, you may want to consider a used mountain bike. $300 will get you an older, quality hard tail that will be a far better, and more fun ride than the Walmart special, in my opinion.

Out spokin'

Wise words here.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Snow Dog

exactly what I was going to say...but better.

I grew up on a 1981 Mongoose Supergoose...and the current Walgeese's are a blemish on the rep of the original ones...or as mentioned above, not even part of the same bloodline...

please DON'T fall into the trap mentioned above. Take some time; research; and get a better use of your money. Even for "just banging around town" wasting money on junk is still not a good thing

now, as I always tell my step-kids when they leave the lights on in the house: if you have the extra cash to just piss away on the electric bill, or in this case: crap bikes, go ahead and send me a few hundred bucks as well!!! I will invest it in something good!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    As someone who has ridden one of those Mongoose bikes on a trail (Dolomite), don't. Trust us, it's not worth spending the money on.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Fuji Wendigo 2.3

turtles make me hot
    Just as everyone else, especially Mendon said, that'll be 300 dollars you won't get to spend toward a better bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Seriously, they got Mongoose?! Yikes. There came a time when the old gods DIED!

I'm disappointed in the world if there's honestly nothing new and serviceable under 300 bucks. Not even necessarily GOOD, just something you can trust to make it up a hill and back down, you know? I understand that premium materials and top-notch welding is nowhere near cheap, but at a certain point they're just gouging you for having a hobby and I'm pretty sure that point is 700 bucks.

Oh well, time to go check the classifieds. Thanks for the help, everyone, I'll let you know how it all turns out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    ... that'll be 300 dollars you won't get to spend toward a better bike.
    Agreed.

I get cash flow, but seriously, figure out how to double your budget if at all possible.

Used is best if you or a buddy are okay checking it over.

Consider reading these threads:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html

Northrock from Costco: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/new...o-1042920.html

Kent: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gmc...a-1065773.html

Gravity: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gra...er-920263.html
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Win View Post
    Seriously, they got Mongoose?!
    Mongoose, Schwinn, GT, Charge, Cannondale, Sugoi, Fabric, Guru, Caloi, Pacific, Iron Horse, etc.

All are owned by a mega corporation, Dorel.

So yeah, all those brands have been dumbed down, mined for their proprietary technologies, and turned into junk with previously marquee names, in hopes of duping unsuspecting, ill informed, poorly educated consumers.

Bikes Direct is using the exact same business model, just FYI, but you didn't hear that from me, you get in trouble around here for speaking truth about a site sponsor, even if their business practices, methods, and products are known to suck.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Mongoose, Schwinn, GT, Charge, Cannondale, Sugoi, Fabric, Guru, Caloi, Pacific, Iron Horse, etc.

All are owned by a mega corporation, Dorel.

So yeah, all those brands have been dumbed down, mined for their proprietary technologies, and turned into junk with previously marquee names, in hopes of duping unsuspecting, ill informed, poorly educated consumers.
    That's... Honestly, that's disgusting. I don't understand how you can build a business out of quality and community and then just sell it out like that-which is probably why I'm not a millionaire. I'm starting to think seriously about opening a bike shop right next to the nearest box store and calling it Anything But Those!

XXXXX XXXXXX is using the exact same business model, just FYI, but you didn't hear that from me, you get in trouble around here for speaking truth about a site sponsor, even if their business practices, methods, and products are known to suck.....
    Oh, don't worry about that. For the record I'm sure Bikes Direct is an amazing company making perfect bikes and I would recommend that everybody in the universe buy two of them at least because they're all such great deals(nudge, wink), but you take one look at that bottom-dollar GoDaddy horror show of a website they've got going on and you just KNOW nothing good comes from there! Still, it's good to have a hunch confirmed. I'd consider a Micargi before anything they sell... They may suck on their own merit, but at least they're not a watered-down subdivision of a conglomerate!

OFS old, fat, slow
    Dec 2004
    Actually, some of the bikesdirect bikes are excellent values. The Motobecane frames are strong and the components can be had at an excellent value. They aren't "state of the art", but solid, functional bikes. I have a Fantom 29 HT that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

AM.

mtbr member
    After having several nice commuter bikes stolen, I caved and bought an inexpensive Walmart Mongoose commuter called the Hotshot for $99. I figured I could just keep buying them as they were stolen or broke.

It was not a good bike. It was a bad bike. The seat was horrible. The seat bolt constantly came loose. The brake levers and housings were plastic, stripped instantly, and could not be tuned. It didn't matter, the brakes had no stopping power.

The wheels were so far from true that they rubbed the brakes even when the brakes were as loose as they could be.

The bottom bracket made a metal on metal crunching noise from the first day out of the box.

Surprisingly, after a couple of minor adjustments, the shifter stayed in tune. However the grips were only seated halfway on the bar. The screws on the shifter and brakes stripped immediately and I could never move them to push the grips fully onto the bar.

The rear dropout was typical box store garbage. No quick release wheels. All exposed metal rusted within the first week of commuting.

The bike was clearly designed to be ridden for 2-3 hours tops. And it was probably unsafe to ride.

At least one aspect worked - no one ever stole it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Win View Post
    at least they're not a watered-down subdivision of a conglomerate!
    They're basically Dorel in another company.

Most of their "brands" are the same idea. Former marquees, purchased for their wow factor.

Motobecane, for example, is a former French company that made phenomenal bikes for nearly a century, fell on hard times, and got gobbled.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Try to find a local riding group, then ask around and see if anyone has an old bike to sell. You can get a good running bike for pretty cheap. I have a really old nice mountain bike that I still ride all the time. I doubt I could even get 300 for it.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone