mtbr member

Talk me off the ledge.

I only have one bike, my Mukluk. I love it dearly, almost too much or so my wife thinks. I haven't been riding long and haven't experienced any other type of bike. I use my Muk for every type of riding all year round. I want to add another bike to the stable and for a while I thought I wanted another fatty set up with some type of suspension. I was at my LBS the other day when these beautiful full suspension bikes caught my eye. I haven't been able to stop thinking about them.

What can I expect if I were to buy a full suspension bike coming from a fat bike? The trails around here are really rocky and full of roots(the muk loves them). I'd still keep my Muk, I just think on some of the trails I ride a full suspension bike would be cool as well. Those that have both, do you find yourself riding both? Should I just stop drinking and buy another fatty? I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks

P.S Bluepoint's Sour Cherry Stout is horrible.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

Perpetual n00b

Re: Talk me off the ledge.

Tire volume is no replacement for good suspension. Coming from a Mukluk, then a HT 29er, I've settled on FS 26er as my only ride. I won't compromise on maneuverability.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Jump

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been ridding fatties for about 4 years and I still prefer the fully in the summer for fast techy stuff. If I'm out riding with the slow group or venturing out where there is no trail I'll bust the fatty out in the summer otherwise fully all the way. I have often thought about a front suspension fatty but their not quit there with the frames and components yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk me off the ledge.-1374859_733531380005717_937991456_n.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Go for the fully and then see if Knards on Rabbit Holes will fit on your fatty. If they do, build up a second set of wheels and now you've got bikes for all sorts of riding.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    +1 Knards on Rabbit Holes on the Mukluk frame. Hold out for the Fat Bike suspension forks that are coming...

mtbr member
    I don't have two of any type of bike. I have a fat bike, FS mountain bike, road bike, triathlon bike, single speed bike, and half of a Santana road tandem. They are all great and I ride all of them. I will say the fat bike is my favorite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    and half of a Santana road tandem.
    Isn't half a tandem just a normal single seat bike then?
    2018 Pole Machine
    2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel

mtbr member
    I have 6 bikes, and I ride them all. Just in the last two days I've ridden three different bikes just commuting. My just purchased Mukluk will be my seventh bike once I get everything onto the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Isn't half a tandem just a normal single seat bike then?
    Yeah, I never looked at it that way.

mtbr member
    Love my 150mm FS bike! So I say go for it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DITCHMAN View Post
    I've been ridding fatties for about 4 years and I still prefer the fully in the summer for fast techy stuff. If I'm out riding with the slow group or venturing out where there is no trail I'll bust the fatty out in the summer otherwise fully all the way. I have often thought about a front suspension fatty but their not quit there with the frames and components yet.
    You and bdundee have the same bike and same fence?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bicycles are AWESOME! Don't discriminate against any of them... ride every type you can get your hands on.

If I had to cut down to one though, it would be a fat bike with Ft. suspension (and a rigid fork option) and multiple wheel-sets (i.e. fat; fatter; 29; 29+)

mtbr member
    It's always n+1 for bikes. Try out some bikes and see what calls to you. I get nauseated on a FS so I don't own one but my husband loved it. If you're coming home with a bike for Christmas, you better get something just as nice for your wife to make up for it..and it better not be an appliance. Diamonds work nicely if you need to ease your conscious and don't want to get dumped into the doghouse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You and bdundee have the same bike and same fence?
    Yeah some d bag created a sock puppet and was harassing me about my injury so I left. Now I can't log into my account so I am now Ditchman. I think he thought since I couldn't ride now that I have never even ridden a fat bike little did he know I'm on my 5th. His screen name was wickedfoes.

bOb
    Last edited by DITCHMAN; 12-21-2013 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Put another way... If something came up and I could only keep two bikes my first choice would be my Lefty Fatback without question. The second would be my Cannondale Supersix. The hardtail, and the FS carbon mtb's would be gone. As it is, the (2) mtb's combined have 1/4 of the mileage of the road bike for this year. The fat bike is at the top of the list whenever I go for a ride. For the record, I follow Bethany's advice, whenever I get a new bike I get my wife one as nice or nicer. Happy wife, happy life...