Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012

This place needs an enema

Isn't that the guy/group that pretty much see Ontario as the center of the world, and racing as the only kind of riding that's done?

He was on this forum for awhile but his narrowmindedness WRT the way the rest of the world is meant he didn't last long.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Jeebus make a video. Fat bikes have no time for your fancy words.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It is kinda messy as far as reviews/tests go.

I can think of better groups to do the testing, but they got it mostly right.

They chose an EXT, WTF?

All fat, all the time.
    Rough crowd tonight lol.

We should be happy we have more choices than an SC32.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Isn't that the guy/group that pretty much see Ontario as the center of the world, and racing as the only kind of riding that's done?

He was on this forum for awhile but his narrowmindedness WRT the way the rest of the world is meant he didn't last long.
    Yes and runs a mickey mouse shop out of a commercial unit in an industrial park where the cheapest model is like $2500. Also tries to pour crappola on buyers who would dare make do without spending his prices, or were capable of thinking about bikes for themselves and might possibly know shit tons more than he does. He responded to some of my posts about the Costco Northrock on the Ontario Fat Bike Trader group on facebook with the similar sort of stupidity he was well known for here.

In the case of this test...the only fork models tested are ones he sells aftermarket. And the test rider pool are his small bunch of customerployees.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A very long winded way to state the glaringly obvious

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    A very long winded way to state the glaringly obvious
    CliffsNotes?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mastodon is best. I just skimmed to the end. Nice looking comparison.

Spiteful responses here flummox.

Music & Bikes
    Would have been curious to read about comparaison with Lauf/Lefty......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Would have been curious to read about comparaison with Lauf/Lefty......
    There are a lot of reviews out there for both.
    Lauf - light, expensive, no rebound or compression adjustment. Limited travel. no maintenance.
    Lefty - Pretty kick ass. People say they look weird so not a lot of folks willing to try one.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Rough crowd tonight lol.

We should be happy we have more choices than an SC32.

Don't think anyone would disagree with you there.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
    Spiteful responses here flummox.
    Guy has a history here. He's an idiot and an ass. Not much more to say beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Guy has a history here. He's an idiot and an ass. Not much more to say beyond that.
    I would share with the group what he posted in my first info blurb I put in a fb group about the Costco fat option in January but he started swearing up a storm and the admins deleted the whole thing. Essentially his arguments for why a made by giant bicycles fat bike sold at costco was bad amounted to "just because I said so".
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Human Test Subject
    tl;dr but holy cow that guy goes crazy on the bold lettering. It's like a 9 year old wrote it. It's on par with center alignment.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Welcome to the department of redundancy department.

And I thought I had a mild tendency towards the verbose.

I couldn't even finish, but that's okay, the dude stroked his words enough, he finished himself.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

strider
    Nov 2010

Another Recent Mastodon Vs Bluto Comparison

I didn't see this recent comparison posted here yet so I figured I'd add it to the mix:https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...astodon-51741/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Im not entirely sure how either of these reviews provide any beneficial information. A couple bloggers comparing forks after a few rides vs a bunch of consumers/prosumers with hundreds (thousands?) of hours riding, tweaking, abusing.

If you dont know the difference by now, youre spending too much time reading Outside magazine

Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    I didn't see this recent comparison posted here yet so I figured I'd add it to the mix:https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...astodon-51741/

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sort of off topic but does anyone have any experience with the full carbon suspension fork from angelcycles? it looks like a bluto copy but much lighter. i dont have big hits of any kind on my trails and this looks like a cool option. curious about functionality though

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Sort of off topic but does anyone have any experience with the full carbon suspension fork from angelcycles? it looks like a bluto copy but much lighter. i dont have big hits of any kind on my trails and this looks like a cool option. curious about functionality though
    The website says 6 pounds, well if this is the fork you speak of. https://lunacycle.com/luna-lander-fat-suspension-fork/

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just under 3#, who knows what the fork is made of ... what damper? Might be a noodle.

Buy one and let us know

Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post

I've got one of these coming soon, looks like thei copied the ABS damper from Manitou going from the dials (or are sourcing from the same part bins). Air spring, open 135mm dropout with post mount and appears to be alloy stanchions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Snow-...72.m2749.l2649

I am going to put it on my 2011 Mukluk come spring time and test it out. We're still snow here currently though so the Carver beast'carbon stays in place. I actually got it at the original listed price, $60USD as did someone else before the seller raised the price. Still, if it comes out anywhere close to RST Renegade weight it could be a useful option for folks stuck with straight steerer tubes because of their frames.

Oh that reminds me about that idiot at fatbikeca's fork test requirements... MOST places where fat biking has taken off, also groom trails, and thus there's no need for maximum size tires. And the majority of people buying fats aren't backwoods camping/bushwacking with them either...and again don't need the addiitional floatation of the largest tire widths. I'm 210 Ibs with pack and actual tire width of 4.2 inches does me just fine at all the spots I ride here in Canada's capital region (where we now have a couple hundred kms of well packed fat trail options).

Elitest thrill junkie
    A rigid fork is better than a sh*tty suspension fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The ebay fork arrived, 2,296 grams which given it cost me $60USD + $40USD for the EMS shipping which took 1 week from china... is damned reasonable of a weight. 8-position damper adjustment from full open to full lockout and the stanchions ARE alloy. Maximum tire clearance between the legs measures out at 120mm...so...NOT for a Snowshoe XL or 2XL on a 100mm rim, but my bulldozer on 82mm rim will work fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    To each their own, but I'm amazed by the number of people willing to put their teeth, eye sockets, and necks on the line with cheap forks/bars/stems shite from Ebay or Alibaba (especially carbon stuff). There are places to save money...and then there aren't. History often speaks for itself on the results of using this stuff. But it ain't my neck, so I say good luck and let us know how it is!

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerOne View Post
    To each their own, but I'm amazed by the number of people willing to put their teeth, eye sockets, and necks on the line with cheap forks/bars/stems shite from Ebay or Alibaba (especially carbon stuff). There are places to save money...and then there aren't. History often speaks for itself on the results of using this stuff. But it ain't my neck, so I say good luck and let us know how it is!
    Since the US companies source many products from the same factories you are rolling the dice with a lot of stuff we buy. (How many carbon fork recalls have we seen over the last 20 years).

US carbon is beyond my budget but you are right, my $20 Asiacom 160gram bars were made out of tissue paper and a bad idea even for a light duty XC bike.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    The ebay fork arrived, 2,296 grams which given it cost me $60USD + $40USD for the EMS shipping which took 1 week from china... is damned reasonable of a weight. 8-position damper adjustment from full open to full lockout and the stanchions ARE alloy. Maximum tire clearance between the legs measures out at 120mm...so...NOT for a Snowshoe XL or 2XL on a 100mm rim, but my bulldozer on 82mm rim will work fine.
    You have any miles on it? My buddy has a Renegade and likes it.

I have had a couple of Blutos to play around on and would not mind having suspension for summer riding. Skeptical about any fork without a TA but I rode Mag 21's and Manitou QR forks for 15 years. This would not require a new wheel at which point I would just buy a new bike with a Mastadon on it.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

No its still full winter here in Ottawa. We just got another six inches of snow today. I'm going to test it when its full mud spring time, since I don't need anything more than the carver beast carbon until then.