Surly Wednesday VS Trek Farley 6?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Surly Wednesday VS Trek Farley 6?

I have a Trek Farley 6. I bought it brand new when they came out, and have loved riding it ever since.

Recently, I bought the new Surly Bridge Club. And I absolutely love this bike. I have become a big fan of Surly. And have been looking at their other bikes. I think I would like to buy one of their fat bikes.

I like their Ice Cream Truck, but not crazy about the color. So I have been reading about the Wednesday.

If Iím going to buy another bike, Iím going to sell my Farley 6. So, my question is, is the Surly an upgrade from what I have now? Is this something I will regret doing?
    What will the Wednesday offer that my Farley 6 canít? I know the Surly is a steel frame, which will be heavier. And it has the option to add larger tires, which the Farley 6 doesnít offer.

Iím open to some advice here!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine View Post
    I know the Surly has the option to add larger tires, which the Farley 6 doesnít offer.

Are you sure about that? I think the Farley can fit bigger tires.

mtbr member
    I think the Farley 6 (2015 model?) Came with 26 x 3.8 Hodags.
    ...maybe look into the new Farley 5, or take it up a notch to the 7
    (If you don't mind the added weight of a Manitou Mastodon)

Trek has made a lot of updates in the last 5 years.
    27.5 x 4.5 rubber among the biggest in the past few years.

Even going from my 2 y/o 18' to my new 20' F7
    Gained a Dropper, 108t rapid drive hub, 12 Spd SRAM Eagle 11-50t,
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

turtles make me hot
    I'm picking up my new Ice Cream Truck frameset on Saturday. Dropping it off at the powder coat shop before it ever goes home.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have a Trek Farley 6. I bought it brand new when they came out, and have loved riding it ever since.

Recently, I bought the new Surly Bridge Club. And I absolutely love this bike. I have become a big fan of Surly. And have been looking at their other bikes. I think I would like to buy one of their fat bikes.

I like their Ice Cream Truck, but not crazy about the color. So I have been reading about the Wednesday.

If Iím going to buy another bike, Iím going to sell my Farley 6. So, my question is, is the Surly an upgrade from what I have now? Is this something I will regret doing?
    What will the Wednesday offer that my Farley 6 canít? I know the Surly is a steel frame, which will be heavier. And it has the option to add larger tires, which the Farley 6 doesnít offer.

Iím open to some advice here!
    Had a farley 6 and yah 4Ē
    Is the widest you can fit in the rear.

Surly says you can fit a 4.6Ē tire on the wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can't find the geo of the older farley to compare but the current farleys and the Wednesday are pretty close. I can say the Wednesday is definitely a trail bike (versus touring fatty) at heart and with a Mastodon is pretty darn fun to ride as such. Newer Farleys look to be similar on the geo sheet.

If max flotation is your goal the Wednesday will likely fall short. I am in small snow country so I don't mind the tire limits but folks in the mountains or in lake effect land might want to push to 5 inches or max B-fat. I can say I can fit studded Dillinger 4's on my Wednesday with the axle slammed with no clearance issues whatsoever. I have not tried bigger, but again, no need in my world.

I guess if you are looking for more of a trail fatty and the older Farley is not that the switch might be worth it if max fat is not a need. The Wednesday is not light and needs a brake upgrade right out of the box (and more depending on prowess and $$$), but I love her dearly.

I have an irrational love of steel and a budget that keeps me in Surly-land. I did originally seek out an ICT, but they were sold out and I needed (wanted? whatever...) a new ride so Wednesday it was. Absolutely no regrets at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm picking up my new Ice Cream Truck frameset on Saturday. Dropping it off at the powder coat shop before it ever goes home.
    What Color are you painting it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ICT or Wednesday, not Trek

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    I can't find the geo of the older farley to compare but the current farleys and the Wednesday are pretty close. I can say the Wednesday is definitely a trail bike (versus touring fatty) at heart and with a Mastodon is pretty darn fun to ride as such. Newer Farleys look to be similar on the geo sheet.

If max flotation is your goal the Wednesday will likely fall short. I am in small snow country so I don't mind the tire limits but folks in the mountains or in lake effect land might want to push to 5 inches or max B-fat. I can say I can fit studded Dillinger 4's on my Wednesday with the axle slammed with no clearance issues whatsoever. I have not tried bigger, but again, no need in my world.

I guess if you are looking for more of a trail fatty and the older Farley is not that the switch might be worth it if max fat is not a need. The Wednesday is not light and needs a brake upgrade right out of the box (and more depending on prowess and $$$), but I love her dearly.

I have an irrational love of steel and a budget that keeps me in Surly-land. I did originally seek out an ICT, but they were sold out and I needed (wanted? whatever...) a new ride so Wednesday it was. Absolutely no regrets at all.
    I love my Surly Wednesday but he's right. The brakes are the first thing I would replace. They were kind of scary going down hill. I don't care for the press fit bottom bracket on the Trek. Neither bike is perfect but I'm partial to steel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Howís the brakes on the ICT?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    What Color are you painting it?
    Prismatic Powders Illusion Orange.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Howís the brakes on the ICT?
    They're awesome when you buy it as a frameset and build it up yourself.
    I like turtles

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I have a 2015 Farley 6 and the main reason I'd consider changing it for the wheels but I'm mostly happy with it and could probably get partially what I want with a new fork. Given I assume the Farley 6 is fairly worthless these days it would seem an expensive change when you don't seem to have any particular reason for changing?
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Had the same quandary a while back. Ended up building a Advocate Watchmen with 4.7 barbegazis and a spare 29+ wheel set. Looked very cool and I was one of the ďbroísĒ with a steel ride. Too much bike for what I rode. Donít need float where I live and it was just damn heavy and lumbering to ride to me. Went back to the Farley 6 and never looked back. I have 26x4 Nates for snow. 27.5x 3.8 hodags for trail. And 29x3 innova front ,29x2.6 xr2 rear for XC. That said, my backup bike is a Bucksaw if I need some suspension
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

mtbr member
    Is there a reason, or just Trek hate? It's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Neither one is inherently better. Now a specific model of one might suit a rider's needs better, but that has nothing to do if one has Surly or Trek painted on it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Had a farley 6 and yah 4Ē
    Is the widest you can fit in the rear.

Surly says you can fit a 4.6Ē tire on the wednesday.
    Yup, I have a 4.6 Dunderbeast on the back of my Wednesday.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Post it up when it's done!!

^ this

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Is there a reason, or just Trek hate? It's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Neither one is inherently better. Now a specific model of one might suit a rider's needs better, but that has nothing to do if one has Surly or Trek painted on it.
    Yup, sign me up for some of that Trek hater-ade. Trek- it's a four letter word.

Trek usually use some stupid proprietary standard that makes finding quality parts nearly impossible. Headset, BB, axles, whatever. Looks like on the Farley the only thing that will limit options, or potentially be problematic, is the PF121 BB. Compared to the threaded BB on the Surly's, obviously easier to work on and better all around.

Surly's are cool, and the geo is pretty spot on on the fatbikes, and most of their bikes really with a couple minor exceptions.

Did I mention Trek sucks?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So the Wednesday will fit actual 4.6" tires then? 4.8 Jumbo Jim on 80mm rims for example (4.58")? Or Surly Lous?

Edit: Apparently it's no problem
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/lo...y-1095994.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Prismatic Powders Illusion Orange.
    Sparkles?
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond