Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/wednesday

Not sure I'm digging this. I'm holding out for the ICT's in December. Partially because I have no choice - sold out everywhere - but also because I really, really don't want a pink bike. This color is pretty awful too. Just my 2¢. Kinda risky I would think - I'm not on the fence about the bike, but if I were these colors would likely sway me... What say you?

Human Test Subject
    Its purple.

Also yeah don't get a pink bike. People might think you're a lady.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It looks great in person. I like it. Then again I like purple and the Wednesday is still my favorite fatbike.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    looks cool to me. I'd still go for blue though. I like the ICT just for the color. I'd rock it just to be different.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'd totally rock that Purple.

Don't call me 'Lady' bro.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That purple is awesome. I liked the blue of the older frames as well, but I am partial as my CrossCheck is robin's egg. By the time time I got to the Wednesday it was black or grey so Sweatpants I chose. The green ICT frame was sweet too. The new pink is coolish, punk rock pink I say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I like the Purple, pops a little bit.

I have the "pink" ICT after breaking my black OPS. It looks different depending on lighting, shading, sun, and if you wear sunglasses.

They all look good new, they all eventually look beat to hell if you ride them 12 months a year in anything and everything.

Snow Dog
    yep...I woul ride that, with black and blue components and call it The Bruiser
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I dig it. I always prefer anything other than white, black, or red (i.e., "standard" colors). Funny thing is, I currently own white, black, and red bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I mean, I know I see guys spend north of 2K on components for their bikes. But for me, $2k is a lot of scratch (ICT) for a bike and to have it be, well, pink or grape or some pastel gaudiness...I dunno, I'd take almost anything else - though I hesitate to say that having not seen what their new color would be but I can't imagine it being any worse...

I just think if you're going to go radical, you should offer it in a safer color too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The lavender would clash with the candied grape rims on my other FB.

Confused. They are offering it in a “safe” navy blue and white/cream/grey color.

Wanna ride bikes?
    This thread needs pictures. This is way better than my Grey Sweat Pants.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-screen-shot-2020-09-17-7.30.12-pm.jpg  

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-screen-shot-2020-09-17-7.29.55-pm.jpg  

SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    As the proud owner of a OG purple Pug, and the very damn close to same shade, Krampus from a year or three ago, this isn't my favorite shade of purple, but any purple is fun for a bike.

But then, I lusted after this when it came out BITD, so plainly, I'm secure in my manhood, and just love vibrant colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    In the photos it really seems to pop in low light. I think it looks great. Then again, I like brightly colored bikes. As long as it’s not metallic blah, or charcoal, or baby poop colored, I’m good.

turtles make me hot
    I like the purple. The Bruised Ego on the Krampus was better though.

I bought a pink Ice Cream Truck and had it powder coated orange. Looks killer.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Moonlit Swamp was an awesome color. The Moonie had a good finish too. Purple is doable but some of the colors Surly has offered were an immediate arrangement with Spectrum for a real finish.

NYrr's orange ICT is awesome looking...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post

NYrr's orange ICT is awesome looking...
    Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-img_3402.jpg
    Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-img_3352.jpg

Thanks, Bansh.
    I like turtles

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I like the purple. The Bruised Ego on the Krampus was better though.
    Same here, on both accounts.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch View Post
    What say you?
    I say to winge more about the SX groupset than the awesome color.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah SX eagle is a bummer. Two years ago it was NX 11 speed. I would say that is better but who cares what I say. The REAL bummer is the Tektro mechanicals.

The more I see that purple the more I want a new frame. I'll apologize to my sweatpants in a bit.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I kinda like the purple. I am still rocking the OG robins egg blue on my Wednesday.

If my rear der hanger keeps getting tweaked too easy, i may consider the new color and swap out the frame.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Confused. They are offering it in a “safe” navy blue and white/cream/grey color.

I thought that was stock on hand, not production? There was very few blues left and no grey sweatpants that I found when I was looking a month or so ago…

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    But then, I lusted after this when it came out BITD, so plainly, I'm secure in my manhood, and just love vibrant colors.

Not wanting a bright pink or purple bike has nothing to do w my manhood security. I’m jut not digging the colors.

fwiw a few of their colors present and past I dig, but on a whole they’re gaudy. I really want an ICT, so I’ll likely get whatever their new offering is regardless when it comes out, but I’m not too hopeful it’ll be something that doesn’t resemble an easter egg…

That orange is a good example - I do dig the color! Just not sure I’d want a bike that color and I’m not a black or nothing guy. My current ride is an army greenish, granted it was the only color offered, but I dig it and blue before that. I liked their wine red, wet clay - darker muted etc. Anyhow, guess its just my prefs…to each his own

Human Test Subject
    Purple is the fastest color.Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-20200918_090859.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I bought a Wednesday frameset in January. The only option for me was blue. Didn't like that color of blue so before I built it up I had it powder-coated.... purple. The purple is most certainly faster.

It was so easy I'm not sure why more people don't do it. Custom colors are way more fun! Right, NYrr?

turtles make me hot
    Absolutely.

My favorite is when people who are sorta Surly Savvy ask if that's the new color.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Curious - whats that cost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I paid less than $100. $89 or something crazy like that as I was expecting it to be considerably more.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemusher View Post
    I paid less than $100. $89 or something crazy like that as I was expecting it to be considerably more.
    Srsly? Wow! I would've thought it would be at least $400-500. That could be an option. What about you NYrr496? Where did you have it done - I'm a fellow lawn-guylandah

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Did you disassemble the bike yourself?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhextall View Post
    Did you disassemble the bike yourself?
    No, I ordered the frameset through the bike shop. When it arrived, the bike shop dropped it off at the powdercoater and he delivered it back upon completion. Smallish town Montana's customer service at it's finest! Shop then built it up.

I find Surly's specs never meet my needs. Ultimately, much cheaper to buy the frameset and build my bikes up. Then I cry once and have EXACTLY what I want/need.
    Last edited by Bikemusher; 09-19-2020 at 05:16 AM.

turtles make me hot
    136 dollars for the frame and fork. I bring in ONLY the frame and fork.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Wow...

turtles make me hot
    Wow...
    Im talking about the powder coat.
    I like turtles

Wanna ride bikes?
    I bought a Wednesday frameset in January. The only option for me was blue. Didn't like that color of blue so before I built it up I had it powder-coated.... purple. The purple is most certainly faster.

It was so easy I'm not sure why more people don't do it. Custom colors are way more fun!
    Is this the new custom Surly color thread?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-img_5820.jpg  

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-img_5864.jpg  

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-img_5879-1-.jpg  

SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Im talking about the powder coat.
    Meaning thats not soup to nuts? Other costs involved? Stripping the old paint etc...

Rippin da fAt
    I would opt for the soup!

After looking into a powder coat with prep, I was quoted 300-350 including a color sand and polish for a "piano finish". Zero orange peel etc. The other option was through Spectrum, they have discontinued powder in favor of "wet" finishes.
    Spectrum will reproduce OEM frame decals in paint as opposed to stickers, etc.
    The nice thing of the frame graphics in paint is that you can do a muted graphic that is matched to the primary color with a contrast to make it visible but discrete.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Is this the new custom Surly color thread?

Outstanding color! Tasty...
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Meaning thats not soup to nuts? Other costs involved? Stripping the old paint etc...
    Oh yeah. I dropped off a pink frameset and picked up an orange one. They stripped it and everything.

It had to be completely stripped. One shop wanted to put the orange over the pink for the same money. I didnt want that because the orange is a fairly translucent powder. The only reason I was a little against soaking the frame in stripper was now the EDC coat is gone and Im back to framesaver.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Mine came out gorgeous for 136. I did my own decals.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

This is about what I pay in Colorado for the same. Bring them frame/fork, and the sandblast/powdercoat is right around this range.

The different powdercoats (some are two stage, some have fancy effects, etc etc) are more expensive, or if you go for bigger/more pieces the cost goes up too. Earlier this year, I re-did a gen 1 Yuba Mundo Cargo bike, so that was frame/fork/cargo deck/lower deck runners/small parts for said cargo area, and I picked a 2stage color and it ran me $400ish. Looks amazing, but my wallet cried a bit.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I paid 200 total for 2 Marge Lite rims in a Two-stage powder. This is back in 2014 in MD. They ordered several sample color swatches then small quantity of the color I wanted.

I like they way the powder turned out but if there is a next time I may choose a different shop.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Not a fan of the purple Wednesday or the pink ICT. Really really wish I could get the ICT in the “Wet Clay” like Karate Monkey. Of course, custom paint is an option but then I’m starting to get into paying too much for a Surly.
    Gearing up to get down

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dot Trail View Post
    Not a fan of the purple Wednesday or the pink ICT. Really really wish I could get the ICT in the “Wet Clay” like Karate Monkey. Of course, custom paint is an option but then I’m starting to get into paying too much for a Surly.
    I think wet clay and possibly the old Wednesday wine red are my two favs of theirs. Frankly, I'll take any color if they'd just start making them again. I'm told maybe January now...ugh

turtles make me hot
    Meth Teeth and Drink More Water Yellow are two personal favorites.
    I like turtles

Wanna ride bikes?

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/surly-wednesday-new-color-thoughts-1152465.html#pos

Hmm, I'm calling Party Foul. Surly frames are possibly the best value in the MTB industry. If you don't like the color you can change it, cheaply if that's what you desire.

I've gone to great lengths and spent what some people would consider ridiculous amounts of money to get what I want out of my bikes, colors included.

I've owned 3 custom Surly's and I wouldn't trade them for anything currently available at a similar price point. I love the brand, I ride the shit out of the bikes, and I'm very happy they continue to make excellent products.

I've had multiple Surly frames stripped and powder coated to a color I want. It adds $100. No big deal if it puts a smile on your face every time you swing a leg over it, or every time you get a "sweet bike" comment in the parking lot at the local trail head.

I don't know where the mentality came from that Surly is a low quality product, it's not, but occasionally these comments pop up from time to time.

If you dig it and it suites your needs, throw some custom colors on it.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Maybe my morning caffeine hasn't kicked in yet, but this reads as a dig - whats up?

Rippin da fAt
    Maybe my morning caffeine hasn't kicked in yet, but this reads as a dig - whats up?
    Some refer to it as a jibe.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Grandpa’s jammies is one of mine.

Surly has gone a little soft with names recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Grandpa’s jammies is one of mine.

Surly has gone a little soft with names recently.

Sov left and the good things started to disappear from Surly's catalog. Guess nobody has the imagination to make good things appear in their lineup these days.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sov left and the good things started to disappear from Surly's catalog. Guess nobody has the imagination to make good things appear in their lineup these days.
    Definitely doesn’t have the same edge as when he was there.

Still love their bikes.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Definitely doesn’t have the same edge as when he was there.

Still love their bikes.

While I love the bikes and all, it sure has lost that funk of the Surly we once knew. That is the unfortunate part...
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    Those were legit Surly color names.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Go through the archives... There were many off names for everything Surly...
    They weren't into politically correct names for anything which is where humor came to the forefront. Sov was amazing for that business and had the imagination that made it a success.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I stand corrected. And must confess thats pretty funny...

Rippin da fAt
    I stand corrected. And must confess thats pretty funny...
    Surly has been known for their dry humor in naming colors and bikes. Addams family offtakes in particular.
    Cult following, damn straight!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Its purple.

Also yeah don't get a pink bike. People might think you're a lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The color did not seem to improve the crazy short head tube and stack height. Maybe teal would fix that?

Human Test Subject
    Did Sov leave or get laid off? QBP quietly got rid of 80ish people right before making record profits. I'm not sure how they determined who was out because they laid off Trevor from Surly who worked there for like 15 years.

Also QBP sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sov left a few years ago on his own, I think because he wanted out of Minneapolis. There's a blog post about it somewhere.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Seems like every Surly frame including Wednesdays are backordered. Has anyone heard when new ones will be available?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    That bike looks fantastic.
    2016 El Oso Grande 6x1 (3 sets of wheels)

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Never said Surly is “low quality”. Don’t strawman me. I own a Karate Monkey (27.5+) and LOVE IT. Super durable and fun bike. But, these aren’t custom hi-end steel frames like Independent Fab or something. They’re made overseas and come with workmen like low to mid range components. My point is.... if I’m gonna start re-painting (and disassembling) frames why not just order a custom frame from somebody with the exact color I want? Not to mention I don’t have the time for all that.

Anyways, I would buy the hell out of a “wet clay” ICT (or any neutral color, beside hot pink and neon green).
    Gearing up to get down

Rippin da fAt
    Never said Surly is “low quality”. Don’t strawman me. I own a Karate Monkey (27.5+) and LOVE IT. Super durable and fun bike. But, these aren’t custom hi-end steel frames like Independent Fab or something. They’re made overseas and come with workmen like low to mid range components. My point is.... if I’m gonna start re-painting (and disassembling) frames why not just order a custom frame from somebody with the exact color I want? Not to mention I don’t have the time for all that.

Anyways, I would buy the hell out of a “wet clay” ICT (or any neutral color, beside hot pink and neon green).
    I understand Surly is taking preorders on many bikes and frames.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I understand Surly is taking preorders on many bikes and frames.
    Where/how? Not directly. The best they cold tell me was December. My LBS says January. I also read they were sending to sporadic parts of the country but they wont confirm or tell me where - I'd gladly have one shipped...

All I can definitively say is they'll be back in abundant stock once the quarantine ends for me and I have no time to ride anymore...

Rippin da fAt
    Where/how? Not directly. The best they cold tell me was December. My LBS says January. I also read they were sending to sporadic parts of the country but they wont confirm or tell me where - I'd gladly have one shipped...

All I can definitively say is they'll be back in abundant stock once the quarantine ends for me and I have no time to ride anymore...
    https://fat-bike.com/2020/10/full-sp...state-capitol/

Scroll down to the purple bike pic... Everyday Cylcles is mentioned and pre-order is also mentioned as it will be limited production. Show that to the LBS and see what they might be able to do. With the scamdemic, Surly is permitting shipment from retailers as well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2010

I don’t know. Wednesday Frameset is $675. Powder coat locally here is around $100 (some quotes were $75). I have no idea what custom *frame* you can get for under $800. Much less a frameset.

mtbr member
    On that note, I recently wrote to Wyatt to inquire about a frame ...
    2016 El Oso Grande 6x1 (3 sets of wheels)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    https://fat-bike.com/2020/10/full-sp...state-capitol/

Scroll down to the purple bike pic... Everyday Cylcles is mentioned and pre-order is also mentioned as it will be limited production. Show that to the LBS and see what they might be able to do. With the scamdemic, Surly is permitting shipment from retailers as well.
    Thanks! I will follow up with them.

rth009
    May 2010
    agreed. They should add "bum piss yellow"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We have a full size run in stock. Built up and ready to go. Road trip to Fargo or have it shipped. Link in my signature.

Also, better sunshine pics of color: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFSbDc1h..._web_copy_link
    Jason

Bipolar roller
    What’s with all the spacers under the stem? Looks like four to five 10mm spacers there.

Weird how fat bike companies brag about short head tubes. (Not sure if surly does, but have seen that from others).

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-bc2c5676-4cf6-4ab8-858a-dcce8e5516e3.jpeg

Surly Wednesday new color - thoughts?-b877078f-5aaf-4fc7-ba83-a5553e480aa0.jpeg
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its more of a Surly thing. My Wednesday has about that many, and my Crosscheck has maybe 3 or 4 spacers as well. For fat bikes in general maybe its an effort to reduce stand over without changing too many of the frame angles?

Wanna ride bikes?
    If you order a frame only the steer tube comes full length, in which case you or the bike shop would cut it to the length you want. I don't recall how many headset spacers come on a stock bike?

It seems Surly headtubes/stack heights are pretty low as of late, having a little extra room to work is greatly appreciated by tall folks! That way I don't have to run a longer fork, riser stem, riser handlebar, or whatever.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... Then I cry once and have EXACTLY what I want/need.
    I'm going to have to remember that line when people ask about buying a POS bike. You can have what they said, or "Cry over and over and never have what you want/need."
    Crazy on this ship of fools...