Surly Pugsley 2.0 Freewheel for Front Hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Surly Pugsley 2.0 Freewheel for Front Hub?

Hello all! I have a Surly Pugsley 2.0, and I want to get a single speed freewheel for the front hub. However, it has an 11-speed drive train, which means the chain is 1/2"x11/128", and it seems NO ONE makes a freewheel that will fit this size chain! Some manufacturers state directly they are not compatible, and others do not specify on their websites, but when I write to them, they say they cannot recommend I use their freehweel for my application! Box Components was one of these (which sucks, because that's the one I wanted - they have 9 pawls!).

Has anyone experimented with this and found a single speed freewheel that fits/works with an 11-speed chain?

mtbr member
    White Industries might work? They have that Dos Eno, I've known people that have used that with 10speed chains.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    White Industries might work? They have that Dos Eno, I've known people that have used that with 10speed chains.
    Thanks for the reply, Redlands; actually, White Industries is one of the manufacturers who expressly states on their website: "Not compatible with 11/128" chains."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Concept was great but in practice Iíve only seen regular cassette type rear hubs with a bunch of spacers around the rear cog.

turtles make me hot
    I've seen people use the Surly cogs with 11 speed chains.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey bme107 & NYrr496, it sounds like you have it backwards. The Pugsley's cassette is an 11-speed cassette on the rear; I have no desire to turn it into a single speed bike. That's not what I'm talking about. The front hub has treading for a single speed freewheel, so that in a pinch, if your regular cassette were to fail, you could swap your wheels front to back, shorten your chain, and ride it as a single speed to get out of the wilderness to home or a shop; i.e., so you would not be stranded.
    The issue is that single speed freewheels are not designed to be compatible with 11-speed chains, which have a narrower inside diameter between the side plates. This issue is only a problem with the new Pugsley 2.0, because the first Pugsley was a 10-speed, and 10-speed chains are compatible with single speed freewheel tooth width.

turtles make me hot
    I totally get it. I saw a guy do exactly that with a Surly cog and an 11 speed chain. Was it ideal? Probably not. Did it beat walking? Probably.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Huh... I guess I'm just confused, because Surly only makes a single speed cog, which requires splines, yet the front hub has no splines, as it is designed for a single speed freewheel to be threaded on. I'm wondering what he did to make that work.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yep, I know, and the front hub on the Pugsley is not designed to install that. It is designed to install one of these: https://www.boxcomponents.com/buzz-f...1&custcol5=100

...and the issue I am running into, is that these are not designed to accept an 11-speed chain.
    Last edited by MKCBrown93; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:58 AM. Reason: added information

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Oh! I feel like an idiot! I just noticed your link is to the threaded one, NYrr496. Sorry about the confusion.

turtles make me hot
    NP. Just tryin' to help.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MKCBrown93 View Post
    The issue is that single speed freewheels are not designed to be compatible with 11-speed chains, which have a narrower inside diameter between the side plates. This issue is only a problem with the new Pugsley 2.0, because the first Pugsley was a 10-speed, and 10-speed chains are compatible with single speed freewheel tooth width.
    I think the first Pugs predated 10 speed. Mine was a nine and that was a couple of years in.
    Latitude 61

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I think the first Pugs predated 10 speed. Mine was a nine and that was a couple of years in.
    Yep. They were nines.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    In the wild I've yet to see a single speed freewheel applied to the front as a back-up of a 11-speed der system. I've seen the threaded cog NYrr496 posted and I've seen people build front wheels with full rear hubs (free hubs) including a stack of spacers and a HG splined cog. And even for this they might have only been running 10, or less, speed to begin with.

Your's is a very unique problem that few if any are addressing. The idea of having a back-up came about when 8&9 speeds were in use and 10 just coming on to the scene. Pugsley sales trickled out as 10 -> 11 -> 12 speed drivetrains picked up.

Their specs today are:
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX RD-7000 GS 11 Speed
    Cog or cogset Sunrace 11 speed, 11-46
    Chain KMC X11-1 EPT Anti-Rust
    Front Hub Surly Ultra New, Freewheel, Bolt-on

They still provide for the ability. What freewheel product do they recommend?

turtles make me hot
    https://surlybikes.com/blog/pugsley_...e_on_a_classic

They mention swapping front and rear wheels twice in this but don't address chain-cog issues.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey bme107, yep, I called Surly today, and that is pretty much what they told me. When the swappable wheels came out on the Pugsley, they were running 9 and 10-speed setups, the chains of which were compatible with BMX single speed freewheels. Now that the Pugsley has moved to an 11-speed chain the compatibility simply is not there. The Surly rep. was saying, essentially, yea, your chain may be sticky over the fat cogs of the single speed freewheel, but it should be good enough to get you home in a bind. I translate this to "We didn't think of that when we went to 11-speed. Oops." So, in short, Surly had no recommendation.

I did get into contact with 2 manufacturers of single speed freewheels. Box components measured the width of their teeth and sent me a photo. The one he measured was 2.25mm. He also said he tried an 11-speed chain on it, and it "feels very tight", so he does not recommend using their freewheels for the Pugsley application.
    The second was the Clickster freewheel by Halo Wheels. Theirs measured 2.2mm, and the guy looking into it also laid an 11-speed chain over the freewheel; in fact, he tried 2 chains: a SRAM and a Shimano. He said both went over it fine, but that he could not guarantee his experiment would work every time, as he may have chosen a sample that had a cog on the thinner end of their tolerance window, being that their spec for tolerances are with a 1/8"x3/32" chain in mind, as opposed to the 1/8"x11/128" of the 11-speed chains.

I think I'll try a Clickster... perhaps I can have my local bike shop order a few, and I'll take the one with the narrowest cog teeth.

mtbr member
    If it's just for emergencies, couldn't one just grind the sides of the teeth a bit? Also, does this Pugs have same wheel offset front and back?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    One could, dudeist, grind the sides a bit, and yes, the front and rear wheels have the same offset.