Surly Pugs dropout question- Mtbr.com
    bcv
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Surly Pugs dropout question

I'm will be jumping into the Fatbike arena in near future and have narrowed my frame choices down to 9zero7 and Pugs. I have wheels being built at local lbs now. All else being equal to me, the main reservation I have on Pugs is the horizontal dropouts.
    I have no interest in going single speed and will be using 9speed gears with der. Main question is does anybody riding Pugs have any issues(wheels sliding/slipping) at all with running gears in horizontal drops? I realize the complete Pugs from Surly comes with gears and must not be too much of issue. But just wanted to hear from some Pugs owners if this is even an issue or not.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Never had an issue with the wheel sliding forward in the dropouts. Just use a good quick release and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    No problems here with a pugsley and the dropped top tube models (with brace) since last year have the rear brake mount moved so you dont have to remove the caliper to get the rear wheel off like the older purple and grey frames (without modifying your caliper with a dremmel )
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The curry colored frame with the brace still has the problem with the disc caliper blocking removal of the wheel. Get the 2011 version.

bcv
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ok. Thanks, I'm convinced. That will make 2 Pugs in the household. The other being my dog of course.

It aint gonna ride itself
    I bought a 907 in large part to avoid the track forks on the Pugs, since I have no desire to use a fatbike single or fixed. Having ridden a couple of Pugsleys since, I have no regrets. Both great bikes.

Also, just to add a data point, it is possible to have problems with the Pugsley track forks. Mainly just like it's possible to have problems with anything else.

bcv
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Interesting...I may need to re-evaluate. Thanks for info.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    I ride a Fatback - but three others in town have Pugsleys, one of the old purple ones, and 2 2011's bought complete. The purple Pugs has no problems with wheel slippage, the two new completes have had problems. I'd hazard a guess that the problem is a cheap skewer in the completes, but it is something to keep in mind with track ends

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd just get the 907.

aka bOb
    I had a problem with my 2011 Pugs with XT skewers moving but I was pounding it pretty hard and it might have been user error as well. That being said I really like my 907.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2010 Pugsley with Alfine and have had the rear wheel slip twice. Since I started to retighten it once a month I haven't had any problems.

For ordinary (not IGH) gears I'd get the 907. I'm sure it is at least as nice as the Pugsley.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use a hope skewer on my pugs and have never had wheel slip in the rear drop outs

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My wife and I have 2011 Pugs. The skewers are not great. My wife has had no problems. The rear on mine has been fine, but I have had problems with the front.. I put another skewer in.

I love my Pugs..