Surly OD Crank- Mtbr.com

Thread: Surly OD Crank

turtles make me hot

Surly OD Crank

Anyone have this yet? O.D. Crank | Parts | Surly Bikes
    I'll be ready to buy shortly and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I want.
    I'm building a Fatback with Clownshoes and Bud and Lou.
    I guess I would use the Moonlander spec crank.

I was going to get the MWOD but I think this is better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't think it's out yet. Haven't seen any mention of when it might appear, though I have to think by the end of the year, if not sooner. I'm also eyeing it up, for a Krampus build.

turtles make me hot
    Darn... I need this bike together for winter.
    I like turtles

I just posted in the other thread. Surly told me directly that it won't be available until the end of November, possibly into December. Bummer, I know.

mtbr member
    Any info on price and weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I third fourth and fifth this, any info on them?

turtles make me hot
    I emailed Surly Yesterday.

No reply yet.
    I like turtles

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Anyone have this yet? O.D. Crank | Parts | Surly Bikes
    I'll be ready to buy shortly and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I want.
    I guess I would use the Moonlander spec crank.

If you go MWOD, get a direct mount derailleur w/ problem solver mount over the e-type style. Less headaches IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    If you go MWOD, get a direct mount derailleur w/ problem solver mount over the e-type style. Less headaches IMHO.

My Fatback frame has a direct mount welded to the seat tube already. Since I don't yet have a crankset, I can't tell yet if I'll be able to utilize it or file it off and bolt on the Problem Solvers one...

If I had to guess, I'd say Fatback did their homework when they built it.
    I like turtles

Wizard of the Trail
    My 907 has a etype mount too. Should be able to use a problem solver anyway. My friend does on his. Let me know how you make out when it's built. Play it by ear I guess.

aka bOb
    My LBS was talking to QBPthe other day and the salesman wasn't sure on the exact price but he had a ballpark figure which was WAY above all the other fatbike cranks. The price was very hard to swallow and I hope he didn't know what he was talking about!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    My LBS was talking to QBPthe other day and the salesman wasn't sure on the exact price but he had a ballpark figure which was WAY above all the other fatbike cranks. The price was very hard to swallow and I hope he didn't know what he was talking about!
    Oh crap. That doesn't sound good.
    I like turtles

You know, I love Surly, but at the same time I wish they weren't so damn cryptic with their new products. They do it every year. If your going to put stuff out there, give us a release date and price. Every other company does it. Some people like to plan for things, Surly.

mtbr member
    Been checking daily on QBP...when I see something I will post.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You know, I love Surly, but at the same time I wish they weren't so damn cryptic with their new products. They do it every year. If your going to put stuff out there, give us a release date and price. Every other company does it. Some people like to plan for things, Surly.
    Where is the fun in that? Lol

Nemophilist
    1) Very nice looking piece. Exactly what we need.

2) I don't quite understand why a generic >$100 ex-bearing crankset becomes $300+ just because you add a longer spindle? I know there is more to some of these than that, but....

3) I understand economies of scale and all, but I think the companies need to start taking a little softer line with their pricing. There is a fine line between covering costs, building profits margins, and growing your market. The Fatbike market is just shy of exploding right now, and a little gasoline on the fire by way of lower prices would simpy set the whole thing ablaze. In most cases, you make your real money on volume, not high profit per peice. Or... you stay boutique and hope you go Thompson or King... somehow... by some good fortune.

I know. Just sayin......
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    ...I don't quite understand why a generic >$100 ex-bearing crankset becomes $300+ just because you add a longer spindle? I know there is more to some of these than that, but....
    Everyone says they'd like a set of cranks at the Shimano SLX level, the 2013 SLX 10-speed flavor retails for $240 w/bb, 170mm and 175mm only. What set of cranks retails for <$100 that you'd put on your fatbike? (Not last year's on clearance, 2013 model, retail price.)

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Everyone says they'd like a set of cranks at the Shimano SLX level, the 2013 SLX 10-speed flavor retails for $240 w/bb, 170mm and 175mm only. What set of cranks retails for <$100 that you'd put on your fatbike? (Not last year's on clearance, 2013 model, retail price.)
    I guess I'm waiting for last year's news. The bar was set when I paid $89 for a set of Shimano LX Hollowtechs a couple of years ago. The market has changed some since then (tighter supply), but not my outlook, or my budget.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

turtles make me hot
    See that?? Now, I have a different idea of what too much money is for an OD crankset.
    If it comes in anywhere between 275 and 315, I'll be pretty happy.
    I'm afraid it's gonna hit 400.
    I like turtles

aka bOb
    See that?? Now, I have a different idea of what too much money is for an OD crankset.
    If it comes in anywhere between 275 and 315, I'll be pretty happy.
    I'm afraid it's gonna hit 400.
    I agree completely! Of coarse I probably wouldn't pay anymore for it than the Fatback crank at $260.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    November 15 no idea on price

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtbyader View Post
    Good enough... Thanks.
    I like turtles

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtbyader View Post
    and this comes from where exactly??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shop looked it up. On qbp im assuming

I hope November 15. But I'm not sure if that shop has other inside info or what... I just had Erik's look it up and no "official" release date is listed yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Question about this. I will be building up a Krampus and am interested in running it 2x9. On their blog Surly suggests the best options are the OD or the MWOD. But is it possible to get an MWOD with a 73mm spindle? I can only find 100mm.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if they maybe meant the Mr. Whirly and not the MWOD? Take the big chainring off the Mr. Whirly and put a bash on? I don't see the MWOD in anything less than 100 either.

The OD says it does though... "Completes for 73mm BB shells will have 39/26t rings."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You're right - oversight on my part - they do mention the mr w.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    ...But is it possible to get an MWOD with a 73mm spindle? I can only find 100mm.
    No reason you can't build one up, here's the 68mm/73mm spindle:
    Universal Cycles -- Surly Mr Whirly Spindle

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    No reason you can't build one up, here's the 68mm/73mm spindle:
    Universal Cycles -- Surly Mr Whirly Spindle
    Thanks. Looks like you are right. Not terribly familiar with these cranks, and was getting confused between mr whirly and mwod; and for whatever reason I though it was a fixed spindle. So I'm thinking if I want to run a double the MWOD or OD would be my two (Surly) choices, the latter just having a little more standard rings. Maybe will come down to whichever is cheapest.

Yeah... I might not wait until the OD comes out... can't pass up this deal: MWOD for $215 and free shipping. It says on Surly's site that they have replaced the BB that comes with the MWOD with the enduro bearings too... just have to check if this one would have that: Surly Mr. Whirly Offset Double

turtles make me hot
    That is a sweet deal...
    I bet that's a pre Enduro bearing one, though.
    I like turtles

Frt Range, CO
    That is a sweet deal...
    I bet that's a pre Enduro bearing one, though.
    FWIW, my Moonlander's Mr W BB failed, I contacted Surly, they sent me a new upgraded set and some cool stickers. I rebuilt the old cups with an $11 kit from Universal cycle and set them aside as spares.

I'm not sure... I ordered something from them before and they basically ship right from QBP... they are a bike shop in Illinois that also sells online through QBP. They told me on my last order they don't stock anything... it's drop shipped.

I'm a Target Too.
    I'd like to do same, but no one I've spoken with at Speedway/Fatback or elsewhere has been able to try this or take real-world measurements. I did see the various dimensions on Surly's blog, but who knows how accurate those really are. Even if they are spot-on, I doubt it takes runout into account. I know all of the fat tires I've owned so far have had a fairly substantial amount of wobble, even when seated perfectly. I'd be satisfied with these tires on RD's if need be.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    I'd like to do same, but no one I've spoken with at Speedway/Fatback or elsewhere has been able to try this or take real-world measurements. I did see the various dimensions on Surly's blog, but who knows how accurate those really are. Even if they are spot-on, I doubt it takes runout into account. I know all of the fat tires I've owned so far have had a fairly substantial amount of wobble, even when seated perfectly. I'd be satisfied with these tires on RD's if need be.
    I've got a Fatback built up with USChopper 100's, and the frame&fork easily took BFL's - but bye-bye bottom 3 gears on a 9spd. Bud&Lou are bigger in the knobs - but should still fit the frame&fork. I'm still running BFL in that fork, but I've got a skinny larry on the back.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

turtles make me hot
    Nice. Maybe you scored big.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Just ordered one of those $215 Whirly cranks as well and was told same thing - they don't stock so it'll come from the distributor first then to me.

Figured it was a pretty nice deal for what i was looking for

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I wonder if the OD will work better than the MWOD. I still can't get the MWOD to shift to right... hours and hours of tweaking. Its almost as if the ring size jump is too great, not necessarily the derailleur.

If I tweak it just right I can shift to the outside gear, but not back.. and the crank rubs. The other way i can get it to drop down but not back up again.

I have read others have this same issues regardless of e-type, problem solver etc. I wonder if the OD is much different... I wouldn't waste my $ until verified.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am really inclined to see this as a set up issue. They guys at surly do a good deal of testing on their product before it is released to the general public. They are not known for ripping off someone's product and throwing their name on it. They build from the ground up for something that will be functional and take abuse. There are reasons why the stock pug's come with 65's for rims opposed to 80's. They were designed around a 65. Along came the 80 and 100 and the advent of the MWOD. I have a hunch that the OD will be cheaper as it is only a 2 piece crank. Set and for get on one bike. Where the whirly's you customize all day long with various bcd's and spindle lengths.

turtles make me hot
    gnomehole, Are you running a two or three speed derailleur and shifter??
    I'm pretty sure the MWOD uses three speed stuff with the derailleur limited to the outer positions.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    gnomehole, Are you running a two or three speed derailleur and shifter??
    I'm pretty sure the MWOD uses three speed stuff with the derailleur limited to the outer positions.
    Its an XT e-type that is set as a two speed, definitely the two outer positions. (if I flip the switch, it will shift one closer to the frame)

Right now its just set to use the smaller ring for snow (if we ever get any this year in Minnesota) and if I ever want to put it in the larger ring I have to do it by hand... its just the principal of the thing having a setup that doesn't work.

I've posted a few other places and on these forums and so far haven't found anyone with a solution and many with the same issue. I also wrote to fatbikes.com where I bought all the stuff and had no solution (and they are great at helping.)

I don't mean to derail the conversation, I just want to see these OD's work and on many setups before I'll dump more $ into the same idea. They sure look nice and if they work better maybe I'll try dump my current setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use an e-type with my MWOD. I think that a direct mount with the Problem Solvers clamp would probably work better, as there is more height adjustment. Mine works OK enough that I haven't tried it, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    any news on a date for these guys? i'm desperate for one for my krampus build and i cant' find any release date info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Last I heard (when I asked a couple of weeks ago), somebody had gotten an "April" response form Surly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm interested in this as well, I'll be building up my new pug in the coming month.

turtles make me hot
    They responded to an email from me last week and said April.
    I like turtles

They should just put that info on their website already. I asked them the other day as well!

mtbr member
    I looked it up at my local lbs and it says 4/1 on the qbp site

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone know how much they are asking for this?

Anyone with QBP access know if the OD crank is now available?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    one sold on the bag yesterday for 85 bucks with 180mm arms about right for the surly "quality" components

the crank uses and has all same stuff and has specs as mwod whirly
    I LOVE ORANGE keep them coming, if I wanted to change I would have done it 50-60 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
    one sold on the bag yesterday for 85 bucks with 180mm arms about right for the surly "quality" components

the crank uses and has all same stuff and has specs as mwod whirly
    $85 for the whole crankset? Just wondering what you mean by it uses all the same stuff. The spindle is embedded in the crankarm and no bash right? I thought the BB is supposed to be a better enduring bearing also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is that dealer pricing? I'm not an expert, but you may not want to post dealer prices on the interwebs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan View Post
    I looked it up at my local lbs and it says 4/1 on the qbp site
    well it's 4/1. Are the ODs here yet, or was it an april fool's day joke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    open this page gives you all the stuff...

Mr. Whirly Crank | Parts | Surly Bikes

Crankset Chainlines and Basic Dimensions

Not worth what they are charging, just wait for the bubble to burst and the prices will come down. They know the "bolt" to adjust bearing load is "off" and needs addressing already.
    I LOVE ORANGE keep them coming, if I wanted to change I would have done it 50-60 years ago....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    come on surly!

mtbr member
    probably, id much rather buy the x9 crankset than the O.D but will it fit a 5" fatty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anyone with any new info on the OD crank? It sure must be high-tech if it takes this long to test before releasing.

turtles make me hot
    Nope. Losing interest.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd lose total interest if there was something besides the E13 that will let me have full use of my drivetrain on my 12 Mukluk with a clownshoe and a Lou. Are there any other options? I have even looking to see if anyone has a WMOD in stock either with no success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Anyone with any new info on the OD crank? It sure must be high-tech if it takes this long to test before releasing.
    that or they are chasing gyspy tears to bless each of them with. I really hope someone else but surly release a mega wide crank arm set.

turtles make me hot
    that or they are chasing gyspy tears to bless each of them with. I really hope someone else but surly release a mega wide crank arm set.
    I'm with you on that one. I'll buy anything not to buy theirs at this point.
    I like turtles

Re: Surly OD Crank

Yeah... I'm getting really sick of this "release" a product info and put on website and then not make available until 10 months later crap. The thing has been on their friggin website since November!
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Anchorage, AK
    I'd lose total interest if there was something besides the E13 that will let me have full use of my drivetrain on my 12 Mukluk with a clownshoe and a Lou. Are there any other options? I have even looking to see if anyone has a WMOD in stock either with no success.
    You could probably make a Phil Wood 155 or 160 spindle work with that setup (although you'd need a fair bit of offset).
    --Peace

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hoping the following e-mail from Surly (received today 5-15-13) is accurate with respect to O.D. Availability:

"It does look like we should see those by the end of this month at least thats the best info that I have. These will be the first that weve had. Things get delayed because its a very complex process and many times were at the mercy of suppliers, supply lines, and our own handling thereof. Its also very hard to judge when well get something when its a brand new product. Lots of steps are involved to make sure things are correct and sometimes that causes delays. We should be pretty good on that end of the month date, but as with all things, its hard to promise 100%. Id be willing to go 92% though. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krampus View Post
    Hoping the following e-mail from Surly (received today 5-15-13) is accurate with respect to O.D. Availability:

"It does look like we should see those by the end of this month at least thats the best info that I have. These will be the first that weve had. Things get delayed because its a very complex process and many times were at the mercy of suppliers, supply lines, and our own handling thereof. Its also very hard to judge when well get something when its a brand new product. Lots of steps are involved to make sure things are correct and sometimes that causes delays. We should be pretty good on that end of the month date, but as with all things, its hard to promise 100%. Id be willing to go 92% though. "
    I hope you are right and then right after that wolftooth makes a 94bcd xx1 in a 30tooth 5 inch fatty with xx1 becomes a reality.

turtles make me hot
    The only thing that will make me get one of these now is if they're reasonably priced.
    Now, there's X9, X5, Raceface and I'm hoping Shimano brings something to the table because they're my favorite.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The only thing that will make me get one of these now is if they're reasonably priced.
    Now, there's X9, X5, Raceface and I'm hoping Shimano brings something to the table because they're my favorite.
    Seems like reasonably priced would be a little cheaper than the MWOD, since it is less parts, but we all know that won't be true.

But those other options (Sram and RF) aren't offset are they? Or are you talking about what yxan is wanting, and just putting a single ring where the outermost ring would be.

turtles make me hot
    Seems like reasonably priced would be a little cheaper than the MWOD, since it is less parts, but we all know that won't be true.

But those other options (Sram and RF) aren't offset are they? Or are you talking about what yxan is wanting, and just putting a single ring where the outermost ring would be.
    I'll make something work. I'm waiting on the 190mm 9 Zero 7... Not sure how much offset that frame will even need.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'll make something work. I'm waiting on the 190mm 9 Zero 7... Not sure how much offset that frame will even need.

well they are finally in stock!!! so after reading what some peeps in here have chimed in on? is anything wide enough q factor wise and offset wise even with a single chainring? I mean putting a ring on outside of a regular crank is nowhere near what an mwod middle position brings right? we are talking like 72mm vs 64-65mm at best for a non offset crank in outer position?

turtles make me hot
    I'm going to see one tomorrow. Going to bring an XT crank with me to see how much offset.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    so the question remains then as to how wide your chainstays will be on the 907 frame, because the OD offers the widest crank out as well, which can be crucial for fitting behemoth tires. Are you thinking you can finagle the offset with ring placement (assuming single ring setup)?

turtles make me hot
    With the 907, I'm under the impression I'll be able to run all ten speeds on the cassette with the 190mm hub and the OD crankset.
    The fat bike shop near me has a crankset in the store, so I'll be able to see it. I don't know yet if he has an X9 or X5 yet, so I do not know how offset they are.
    I'm only comparing to an XT crank to see how offset it is and then possibly see if some of the raceface cranks could match the offset by moving the ring to the outside of the arms, but then you have no granny ring.
    As pissed as I am at Surly for dragging this out like they did, It looks to be the right tool for the job. And I want 180mm crank arms. Sram isn't doing that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Does anyone know if the ODs that are being sold now online are for the Pugs or Moonlander? On the Surly website, they said they would be making both (like they did with the WMOD), but on all the websites, it makes no mention of which 100mm BB they are for. I assume I want the Moonlander, so I will have the most clearance possible. And it seems like the price is reasonable, as $250 and the ability for me to get 180mm arms seems fairly decent.

turtles make me hot
    I did not get a chance to go see them but I know there are two. The guy at the shop knows I want the Moonlander offset and says he has both.
    I like turtles

Dr Gadget is IN
    The OD is available for Pugs and Moonlander via QPB:

Special Order Catalog - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts

I note that they list
    "Surly OD Crank 36/22 175mm Black 100mm Bottom Bracket Included (CR8614)" and
    "Surly OD Crank 36/22 175mm Moonlander Black 100mm Bottom Bracket (CR8617)"

This implies that if it don't say Moonlander, it's for all the other 100mm BB's.

mtbr member
    got my cranks, cant say anything but they feel real cheap. IKEA comes to mind and I'm a huge IKEA fan on some of their stuff. these cranks feel downright shanty

got my cranks, cant say anything but they feel real cheap. IKEA comes to mind and I'm a huge IKEA fan on some of their stuff. these cranks feel downright shanty
    That's a bummer... I sure am not impressed with the price now that they are out. So basically you are saying they feel pretty low end but without a low end price tag. Have you had any rides on it yet?

turtles make me hot
    That is BAD news. Well... There's always X5 and X9.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    well after further inspection, it is really the chainrings that feel cheap and they wont be around hopefully

Dr Gadget is IN
    Got any pics?

mtbr member
    pics

Surly OD Crank-20130624_224453.jpg

Surly OD Crank-20130624_224526.jpg

Surly OD Crank-20130624_224503.jpg
    Last edited by yxan; 06-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a bummer... I sure am not impressed with the price now that they are out. So basically you are saying they feel pretty low end but without a low end price tag. Have you had any rides on it yet?
    No rides yet, frame is still on drawing board / being built, I am just acquiring parts before they are sold out for the whole season.

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, yxan.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Just ordered a set after checking out Yxan's. They are pretty nice although not amazing but who else makes a crank that is offset like the O.D.? When I ordered mine they were almost sold out. Unless more come in they may be hard to come by.
    The LPG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130624_224503.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	810840
    Does that say "No Ham Fisting"?

mtbr member
    yes sir

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    At least for now, the OD crankset is sold with bottom brackets. Wonder if the cranks/spindle will soon be sold separately so one can use other BB's such as Chris King or Enduro, for example.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    O.D. Crank | Parts | Surly Bikes

NYrr496 - Why do you think the OD Crank is better than the MWOD?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    NYrr496 - Why do you think the OD Crank is better than the MWOD?
    Simplicity. I just like the fact that it's got fewer parts and doesn't look so busy.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes, it does have fewer parts. They took away the 'bash guard'.
    As Mies van der Rohe said - "Less is more".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I installed a set of these on my 135 offset 9:zero:7 and they went together like a charm. W/ a marge lite rim and larrys I have over 1 cm of clearance in the lowest gear. With a rollying Darryl and a nate at 13psi, I have about 2 mm on clearance in the lowest gears.

Last edited by Mk3Rider; 06-28-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: pictures added

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I finally got mine installed, and it seems pretty nice. I put it on a 2012 Mukluk, that I have a Clownshoe and a Lou on back. Before with the E13 triple crankset, my lowest gear was 2x6. Now I can get 1x1 (actually 1x2 as I removed the 15T and moved the rest of the rings outward.

But does anyone have a problem with what seems to be too much stiction? Without the chain on, I try spinning the crankset, and it comes to a stop in one revolution or so. I can't really feel this when pedaling, and hopefully it will go away. I only rode it for a mile behind my house last night, so maybe it needs more miles. I made sure not to do the preload too much. I ended up putting it the tightest I could get it when I was using the small end of my hex wrench to tighten. But even when I loosen it up so there is no preload, it feels about the same.

Thanks for any info - BS

Wizard of the Trail

Surly OD Crank

I thought stiction was a suspension term. JK. I am not sure if that crank has external bearings or not. If it does, that will cause the cranks to slow in revolutions quicker. They may get better as they break in. I have a love hate relationship with external BBs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Something is wrong with your bottom bracket adjustment. It should not do that. If preload is not too tight then check for adequate grease in the bottom bracket cups. my
    Chris King bottom bracket spun forever when I first put it on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Reduce preload and possible face the bottom bracket.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I installed a new OD crank (non moonlander) on a fatback/rolling darryl/BFL. The crank installed easily and gave me loads of tire clearance - finally! After years of struggling with tire/chain clearance and shifting issues, Surly produces a crank with this geometry. Short review: I have a bike shop but had to pay retail for these cranks, but they are worth it to get the clearance. It is a good thing they give you so much clearance because they offer little else. For about the same price you could get a Shimano XT crankset which is much more nicely fabricated/sculpted/finished. The OD is sort of a blunt instrument by comparison. But I rode a day in wet beach sand giving my bike the usual torture test and I never had a missed shift or got chain suck all day. That has never happened in 8 years of surfbike riding (what I call it). The 36T ring is ramped and pinned, but not aggressively, which is good for sand riding. Overly aggressive pins can hold onto a sand covered chain too well and cause chainsuck, which ultimately destroyed my last frame.

WTG Surly!
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

turtles make me hot
    Great to hear. I'm currently undecided at what to use right now.
    I rode a friend's Muk with an X9 crankset and a Wolftooth 28 single and thinking I may go that way now.
    Only issue for me is Sram doesn't offer that crank in 180mm and Surly does.
    I like turtles

Compulsive Bike Builder
    If you go single you get the same clearance. I need 22T for the deep loose beach sand, which I am always struggling with, the OD is the solution for those of us who need the small ring.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Great to hear. I'm currently undecided at what to use right now.
    I rode a friend's Muk with an X9 crankset and a Wolftooth 28 single and thinking I may go that way now.
    Only issue for me is Sram doesn't offer that crank in 180mm and Surly does.
    Dude, did you ever get a fat bike built up? I'm pretty sure you and I were talking about this crank at this time last year!

Edit: yes, checked and you started this thread 9/28/2012. Get one built up already, jeesh.

turtles make me hot
    Dude, did you ever get a fat bike built up? I'm pretty sure you and I were talking about this crank at this time last year!

Edit: yes, checked and you started this thread 9/28/2012. Get one built up already, jeesh.
    I flipped my 170mm Fatback frame and am currently waiting for my 190mm 9Zero7.
    This past April, I became the wheelbuilder for a shop that sells ONLY fat bikes.
    The boss is hookin' me up with what will work best for my needs. Plus, he wants me out there on the fattest of the fat to hopefully sell more bikes.
    So... To answer your question, no. I never finished the first one.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    anyone using the OD cranks with a chris king bottom bracket?

I have heard the cups are compatible, but don't feel like getting one it only to find out it doesn't work...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hopecyclery View Post
    anyone using the OD cranks with a chris king bottom bracket?

I have heard the cups are compatible, but don't feel like getting one it only to find out it doesn't work...
    I have both on my Pugs and they work perfectly.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Crossposted from the Krampus thread, but here they are on a Krampus:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone know the weight difference between these and MWOD?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just know the weight of OD crank. The 22/36 is weight around 900g.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks. Is that with or without bb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clubby View Post
    Thanks. Is that with or without bb?
    Without

They see me rolling.
    Jan 2013
    Just want to make sure that this crank is Hollowtech II bottom bracket compatible? The spindle is a slight bit more snug in my bottom bracket (Shimano) than my other crankset (Shimano). A Chris King BB is mentioned above, so I assume I should be fine, just wanted to check.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Surly OD Crank-l1000139.jpg
    Surly OD Crank-l1000138.jpg

turtles make me hot
    WOW! That does work with the CK bottom bracket. I assembled a bike for a friend last week with the OD Crankset and was surprised at how freakin' huge the bottom bracket bearings are.
    I'll be doing mine in a couple of days and I'm not sure how the Chris King is gonna work out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Installed it on my Pugsley, with Rolling Darryl and Larrys, I have about 4mm of clearance in the lowest gears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly OD Crank-l1000142.jpg  

Last edited by cwcheung; 12-15-2013 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does anyone know a suitable 20T or 22T ring to go on the inside of an OD Crank?

I'm guessing something like this:

Race Face Chain Ring 5 Bolt MTB, 58 BCD x 20T (RR58X20) - 2ndCycle.com.au

Unsure if that one is single speed specific or is actually shiftable though..

mtbr member

Surly OD Crank

Why not use the Surly chainrings?

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member

Surly OD Crank

I use them on a 10 speed. No problems.

turtles make me hot
    I'm using mine on a ten speed chain. It shifts awesome.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'm not sure granny rings are specifically shifting or non-shifting ones anyways. The purpose of ramps and pins is to help get the chain down to a smaller ring or up to the ring in question. With a granny ring there's no smaller ring to shift to or from.

FSA makes a very light aluminum 22t ring with 58 mm BCD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Does anyone know a suitable 20T or 22T ring to go on the inside of an OD Crank?

I'm guessing something like this:

Race Face Chain Ring 5 Bolt MTB, 58 BCD x 20T (RR58X20) - 2ndCycle.com.au

Unsure if that one is single speed specific or is actually shiftable though..
    I use tune 32/22 chainrings on my OD crank.

tune Kettenblatt Triebtreter Aluminium Mountainbike gnstig online kaufen - bike-components
    tune Kettenblatt Triebtreter Titan Compact, 5-Arm, 58mm Lochkreis gnstig online kaufen - bike-components

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was under the impression that my bike was built with the mwod crank, but now am not so sure. It says Mr Whirly inside the crank arms, but is a 22/36 2 ring crankset. Is this some bastardized setup? Works great, just curious. I would like to convert the 22 and run a 28 single.
    Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly OD Crank-img_0215.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    I was under the impression that my bike was built with the mwod crank, but now am not so sure. It says Mr Whirly inside the crank arms, but is a 22/36 2 ring crankset. Is this some bastardized setup? Works great, just curious. I would like to convert the 22 and run a 28 single.
    Anyone?
    That is an MWOD. It's one of the many faces of Mr Whirly.
    I like turtles

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    Anyone?
    Ha! That is almost exactly the bastardized setup as it comes from Surly! You are missing the "bash guard" for the 36:

Running a 28 single is as easy as finding a 28t x 56mm/5 bolt BCD ring. Surly MWOD granny is available 20/21/22/24/26t. After that, you buy a Whirly spider - but I'm not sure about 28t in 94mm BCD either.

mtbr member
    I would avoid the Surly spider. It's expensive and adds points of failure:

The design flaw is obvious to anyone who knows why we don't use radial lacing in rear wheels or front wheels with disc or drum brakes.

I would settle with a 26t single front ring (I use one when running 1x9), look for a commercial 28t 58 BCD chainring (I swear I've seen one, possibly from Middleburn) or have one made. You could start with a direct mount ring and carefully drill five holes for bolts to attach it to a crank, or have it laser-cut from scratch at your local prototype workshop.

For example here's a couple of custom made stainless steel chainrings with 58 BCD and 33 teeth. They have four 104 BCD and five 110 BCD holes so I can mount a secondary chainring or bash guard to them if I like. The cost of these together was less than the Surly spider alone:

Dr Gadget is IN
    I think that Surly spider failures require the bolts to get loose, but that said - yeah, they need those bolts to be properly tight or they're gone.

Also, if you need a custom chainring here in the states try Tomicog

"ChainRings!
    Yep, I'm also making chainrings now. 'Stock' sizes are 32t & 34t, in both 102(XTR) and 104 4 bolt patterns. Pricing is $40 each + shipping (~$5).

Can also make custom rings, shoot me an email, we'll see what can be done."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Am I the only one who finds that the OD outer chainring is made of cheese? I've had my OD on my Moonlander for 4 months of winter riding. Installed with a fresh chain. Winter riding her in Saskatchewan is easy on drivetrains as it's always sub zero snow riding, my fat bike comes out of winter looking as clean as it went into it. After about 500km the big ring is noticeably worn in with one tooth that is bent 90 degrees inward.

Worst chainring I've ever used. For comparisons sake my Middleburn Duo rings on my hardtail are 9 years old and probably have 10,000km on them! Going to replace the Surly ring with a 34 Specialites TA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    anyone running a bashring on the OD cranks?
    94bcd with the 5th chainring bolt in the back of the crank arm?

mtbr member
    Does anyone knows a brand that sells a Narrow-Wide chainring for 58 or 94BCD yet?
    I want to convert Pug into a 1x10 setup.
    Thanks,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm running a bashring on my OD cranks and a Middleburn 34t ring. Seen a post on this forum on using a race face 34t Bashring. I used the extra long chainring bolts and retention threaded tubes from my Shimano SLX 660 cranksets, and 2.8mm chainring spacers. You need to cut part of the bashing off to get to fit, but its real easy.

I had lots of shifting issues with the standard Surly ring. Mostly chainsuck and the chain wrapping round the large chainring on downshifts.

With the pug ops, i still get chaindrops if I change into the lower front ring when I'm in the first two gears on the rear cassette, but this is due to the chain line needed for the 82mm rims. I change down when in 3rd at the rear now. Problem fixed.
    Last edited by Robopotomus; 11-24-2014 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Surly OD Crank

Surly OD Crank-imageuploadedbytapatalk1416859260.121628.jpg

I have o.d. cranks on my ict and i'm running them 1x10 setup. I have Surlys 26t steel chainring (non drop stop / narrow wide) with 58 bcd. The bigger 94 bcd ring place is empty.

Works great. I have shimano xt shadow+ rear derailleur and it keeps the chain firmly on.

So if you want to use 1x9/10 setup you don't have to have a narrow wide chainring. Shadow+ or type2 derailleur is enough to keep the chain on with "normal" chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly OD Crank

Quote Originally Posted by Robopotomus View Post
    I'm running a bashring on my OD cranks and a Middleburn 34t ring. Seen a post on this forum on using a race face 34t Bashring. I used the extra long chainring bolts and retention threaded tubes from my Shimano SLX 660 cranksets, and 2.8mm chainring spacers. You need to cut part of the bashing off to get to fit, but its real easy.

I had lots of shifting issues with the standard Surly ring. Mostly chainsuck and the chain wrapping round the large chainring on downshifts.

With the pug ops, i still get chaindrops if I change into the lower front ring when I'm in the first two gears on the rear cassette, but this is due to the chain line needed for the 82mm rims. I change down when in 3rd at the rear now. Problem fixed.
    I might be misreading you here. Are you speaking of using the big ring up front and 1-2 low rear? That's not a combination that should be regularly used. Big time cross chaining, which in turn pulls the chain off on the downshift.

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    I might be misreading you here. Are you speaking of using the big ring up front and 1-2 low rear? That's not a combination that should be regularly used. Big time cross chaining, which in turn pulls the chain off on the downshift.

Pedaling
    rjedoaks - I used the combination on my AM bike and trail bike, both of which are 2 x 9, and never had any issues in the past 2 years.

However, being a newbie to fat bikes and being oblivious to the inherent chainline issues that a fat bike brings, I never though anything about it. I am now more knowledgable and realise that this combination does not work on a fat bike.

Life is a continual learning process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, the OD crank rings are moved over, really to where the middle and outer rings are positioned on a triple. This is how Surly makes room for the big rubber. Eyeball the chain from the rear to see the extreme angle when using that combo.

mtbr member

Surly OD Crank

Quote Originally Posted by Peltsi View Post

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416859260.121628.jpg 
Views:	2373 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	941596

I have o.d. cranks on my ict and i'm running them 1x10 setup. I have Surlys 26t steel chainring (non drop stop / narrow wide) with 58 bcd. The bigger 94 bcd ring place is empty.

Works great. I have shimano xt shadow+ rear derailleur and it keeps the chain firmly on.

So if you want to use 1x9/10 setup you don't have to have a narrow wide chainring. Shadow+ or type2 derailleur is enough to keep the chain on with "normal" chainring.
    Thanks for that, will do the same on mine👍
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Am I the only one who finds that the OD outer chainring is made of cheese? I've had my OD on my Moonlander for 4 months of winter riding. Installed with a fresh chain. Winter riding her in Saskatchewan is easy on drivetrains as it's always sub zero snow riding, my fat bike comes out of winter looking as clean as it went into it. After about 500km the big ring is noticeably worn in with one tooth that is bent 90 degrees inward.

Worst chainring I've ever used. For comparisons sake my Middleburn Duo rings on my hardtail are 9 years old and probably have 10,000km on them! Going to replace the Surly ring with a 34 Specialites TA.
    Follow up. The last couple of rides I've dropped my chain off of my OD granny gear, strange I thought as it was working fine before. I took a look at it this morning and one tooth is very bent and thus drops the chain off each time it tries to engage. This is the stock steel Surly granny. I have never bent a tooth prior to bending and otherwise trashing the aluminum big ring on my OD, now the steel granny is bent as well.

I just say this to further my point, the chainrings on the Surly cranks are pure garbage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Running Mr. Whirly, 30-tooth 94 bcd stainless chainring with xt clutch rear derailleur on fat bike. So far, so good. No dropped chains.
    Last edited by jamescyco; 01-24-2016 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the wolf tooth drop stops seem to work pretty well...

Surly OD Crank-dsc03475.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    the wolf tooth drop stops seem to work pretty well...

Name:	DSC03475.JPG 
Views:	861 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	1037256
    What chainring tooth count and cassette range are you running? Wondering if I could go 1x with the stock 1136t.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    its an xt 11 speed 11-40,and i can assure you every single gear gets used at some point,but i could probably live without the 40 tooth gear...it does come in handy though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  CR4628_310.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  12.4 KB
    ^ I will have this as soon as they are available (februaryish) It is a 28t steel narrow wide chainring.

Name:  CR4631_310.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  12.6 KB
    ^ Ordered one of these.

I do a ton of logs and big rock ledges and riding with out a BG is going to leave me stranded.

For the first few months it is going to be a 22t 1x10 on my ICT. I would prefer a 32t, but there isn't an option to have that and a BG. So, for the first few months we will be hamster spinning on the way to the trail head. meh.

Hopefully the BG is going to hold up to some abuse. I'm not gentle with them. . . and the ICT just is not wary at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Did you get it fixed?

I finally got mine installed, and it seems pretty nice. I put it on a 2012 Mukluk, that I have a Clownshoe and a Lou on back. Before with the E13 triple crankset, my lowest gear was 2x6. Now I can get 1x1 (actually 1x2 as I removed the 15T and moved the rest of the rings outward.

But does anyone have a problem with what seems to be too much stiction? Without the chain on, I try spinning the crankset, and it comes to a stop in one revolution or so. I can't really feel this when pedaling, and hopefully it will go away. I only rode it for a mile behind my house last night, so maybe it needs more miles. I made sure not to do the preload too much. I ended up putting it the tightest I could get it when I was using the small end of my hex wrench to tighten. But even when I loosen it up so there is no preload, it feels about the same.

Thanks for any info - BS
    Did you end up getting this fixed? I have the same cranks on my 907 whiteout AL and they spin the same way that yours do. My bottom bracket was creaking and I think that the LBS over tightened it.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpupeza View Post
    Did you end up getting this fixed? I have the same cranks on my 907 whiteout AL and they spin the same way that yours do. My bottom bracket was creaking and I think that the LBS over tightened it.
    You need to loosen the two pinch bolts on the NDS arm and back off the preload adjuster slightly. Then tighten the pinch bolts. Hope the bearings aren't ruined.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You need to loosen the two pinch bolts on the NDS arm and back off the preload adjuster slightly. Then tighten the pinch bolts. Hope the bearings aren't ruined.
    Thanks for the info. I just got it back and it's much better. I haven't gotten to ride it yet but hopefully the creaking didn't come back.

Members who have read this thread: 7