Surly Knard 3.8"s?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Surly Knard 3.8"s?

Anyone ride these yet? I'm looking to possibly get the Pug SS and saw they are spec'd with them and was curious as to what people thought about them. Also if people have ridden the Pug SS any thoughts on that too would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    seeing how these aren't new and came stock on the 2014 Farley...I would say there should be plenty of riders on them.

Search "Surly Knard 3.8 MTBR" in Google and you will get the results in various threads.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the 3.8" knards on my mukluk and love them. I don't see myself ever needing to switch tires. They are a great all around tire. I just got my wife a Pugs SS w/ knards (she did however opt to set it up 1x10), and it's awesome. The grape soda color is amazing. It's purple sparkle and in certain lighting it looks like it's got an almost green hue to it, as well as occasionally a gray hue. It's an awesome bike for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I picked up a gently used set of 127tpi Knards. Great tire in dry conditions, kind of like a Small Block 8's. Useless in snow or mud though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I disagree about the useless in snow and mud. I think you get into fine tuning psi in order to help alleviate those issues. They aren't perfect in mud particularly, but I've had zero issues in snow with them.

I know others who have had nothing but good things to say about them, even slogging through the mud with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the SS pug. Its a great bike for the $$ and the tires/wheels are a big reason. Those 127tpi Knards, while not a dedicated "snow" tire, are great for general MTB-ing and even usable on the street. Nice to see non wire bead tires spec'd as stock, esp when they are so expensive. If you want to use them for snow, you'll have to hit about 4-5 psi before they will really agree.

The 33/19 stock gearing is a little tall for anything but prime XC conditions. If you want to take it on some real rough stuff (what it begs you to do), you'll probably want to go easier. Everything else is solid.
    My other bike is a /7.

banned
    Mar 2015
    There are many types of snow to enjoy on a fatbike. the knards handle a large majority of snow types VERY well. Better than a slow knobby tire in many conditions.

Faster, smother, with less augering.