Surly ICT thread - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    Oh yes. Awesome bike. Will ride the ICT next few times out then switch back to that for a ride to feel like a hero!
    I feel like Lance on EPO when I switch back to my 20lb hardtail.

But keep riding the fatty on the group rides. It will take a bit to get used to the weight. I'd say I'm 10-15% slower on the fat bike, but I just take it as a good weight training workout. Suffer today, fly tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Once when I had my Mukluk I was riding some really technical downhill in North Vancouver with some guys on 29" FS. I was faster than them and they were saying afterwards that they couldn't have chosen my lines that I just rolled right over. With roots the fat tires are a real advantage.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mark_BC, what trails do you ride in NVan? I've been dreaming of a fat bike for quite some time but my Specialized Enduro hasn't let me down. I really like the ICT but I keep failing to justify one. Do you run a Bluto?

mtbr member
    ICT build is getting there. Tomorrow it will be ready for the first ride. Huge feeling to gather parts from here and there and finally see new bike on wheels!

Surly ICT thread-_smaller.jpg
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    ICT build is getting there. Tomorrow it will be ready for the first ride. Huge feeling to gather parts from here and there and finally see new bike on wheels!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_smaller.jpg 
Views:	2674 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	1013317
    I see your going Bud/Knard. Nice choice. I ran that same set up for the last couple months. Great traction and low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I probably missed this, but when I searched the thread nothing came up...

Anyone had any issues with the press fit bottom bracket? Was really ready to go with a Wednesday until I saw the ICT Ops (not sure how I missed it). Anyway my biggest concern is the press fit BB on it.

A friend at the bike shop mentioned Hope and a few other brands are making PF BB's that actually thread together to alleviate the creaking issues, but is there one out there that is wide enough for the ICT?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On my 2013 Specialized Enduro Comp I've got press fit. It uses a basic SRAM bb that is a very hard plastic that presses in with bearing inside. No creaking and they work great. I've had to replace at usual intervals (about once a year).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Peter, so when you do replace it is it due to bearings being shot? Or does it finally start to creak?

PF has been absolutely trouble free for me. Riding in snow, mud, rain, etc. I'd have no issues buying a (well made) bike with PF BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    They've worked the bugs out it seems - there were more tolerance issues between builders and component companies when they first started appearing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You guys are convincing me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Surly ICT thread

I replaced it after about 1.5 years or heavy riding. I live in North Vancouver and ride all year round, rain or shine. It needed replacing because it started to bind a bit and then developed slop.
    No creaking from mine.

mtbr member
    For PF BB I would say I had same stress and I still have it. All my previous bikes have been BSA threaded and trouble free. Hopefully there won't be any problems with first PF. I istalled Race Face BB myself and there is many videos and mixed advices how to do it correctly. New parts are cheap though and it's easy to replace so I need to do some learning to know better. At this time I wouldn't leave PF BB bike on the shop floor just because BB type.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I see your going Bud/Knard. Nice choice. I ran that same set up for the last couple months. Great traction and low rolling resistance.
    I used to have Bud/Lou on previous bike but now Lou was sold out and I wanted to see how Knard is working. I'm waiting to have better rolling with less grip. I presume I need to get Lou or something grippier soon when winter start's coming and weather gets bad.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    ICT is ready. Just a wonderful bike.

Specs:

ICT 16" frameset
    Drivetrain - Zee rear detailleur, Saint i-spec shifter, XT casette
    Crankarms - Race Face Turbine cinch, wolftooth 28t narrow wide and bashring
    Pedals - DMR V12 pedals
    Brakes - Shimano Zee 180mm
    Stem - Race Face Respond 45mm (will try 60mm also)
    Handlebar - Truvativ Blackbox 760mm (will try something with more sweep)
    Saddle and seatpost - Selle Italia Man, Race Face Ride post (later Specialized Command post)
    Wheelset - DT Swiss BR710 wheels / FunWorks hubs
    Tires - 4,8 Bud / Knard

Extra - Lupine Wilma light, Garmin GPSMAP 64 with RAM mount, Ortleab seatbag, Revelate / Surly framebag and 2x feedbag (will be here next week), Revelate Viscacha seatbag (when available).

Weight without extra's: 15,5kg (about 34,5lbs?)

Few detail pictures:

Name:  _smaller.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  121.6 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How are the salsa/formula hubs doing? Steel freehub body?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Surly ICT thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    How are the salsa/formula hubs doing? Steel freehub body?
    Could be better. I had my rear hub changed once already (lasted about 6 months). And now the new one is already making noise. NOT good quality. Perhaps a Hope hub would last longer?

Salsa freehub body is aluminium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdaam View Post
    Mark_BC, what trails do you ride in NVan? I've been dreaming of a fat bike for quite some time but my Specialized Enduro hasn't let me down. I really like the ICT but I keep failing to justify one. Do you run a Bluto?
    That was on Dreamweaver / Executioner on Fromme. I grew up on Hyannis Drive on Seymour so I used to ride all over Seymour. No Bluto, that was a rigid Mukluk which I sold. I now have my own frame I built in Brodie's frame building course. I might put a Bluto on it but I don't think it will clear the downtube although still usable. Maybe get one and swap it over to the Wednesday when that comes out, that is a nice bike, almost ideal for what I want. I also have an old FS Rocky Mountain Element at my mom's house on the Island I should bring over.

Too much stuff to buy, now I want a milling machine to make my own parts. Last week I got a 1937 Dunlap lathe for $250. And I still need to complete my brazing kit, and then maybe get a tig welder... it goes on and on. Add in a Wednesday and a Bluto, man it's like all this stuff costs money.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltsi View Post
    Could be better. I had my rear hub changed once already (lasted about 6 months). And now the new one is already making noise. NOT good quality. Perhaps a Hope hub would last longer?

Salsa freehub body is aluminium.
    Oi, that's not comforting!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    ICT is ready. Just a wonderful ...
    Hi,
    Can you tell me how tall you are? Maybe also your inseem.
    Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Very nice. Have any idea what the Q factor is compared to the Surly OD? thanks

Views: 1844
Size:  121.6 KB[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just listed my current bike for sale locally. We'll see what happens. It will definitely be getting replaced with an ICT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    Hi,
    Can you tell me how tall you are? Maybe also your inseem.
    Thx
    I'm 5'7" with about 29.5" inseam and longish hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Have any idea what the Q factor is compared to the Surly OD? thanks
    No idea about Surly OD. I have understood mine would be 222mm.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

turtles make me hot
    How's the Knard Bud combo workin' out? My Lou is pretty worn down and I wanted to try that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    surly od much less q-factor

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My Surly OD cranks sit tight up against the BB. But the arms may have more sweep to clear the CS. I may be wrong, but the Cinch arms appear to be straighter. Otherwise why would they need spacers. 100 mm bb external bearings may take up more width than 132 mm internal. Just a thought. Anyone know?

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    surly 212mm q-factor
    on ict crank from arm to rear end tubes - there is 6-8mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Thanks, so about 10mm wider w/ Cinch. It is either the Race face or a 58bcd 28 tooth steel narrow wide from surely combined w/ the Surely chain guard on a SurlyOD

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Surly OD is probably very good choise and that is something I thought also. For me it was expensive choise and difficult to find chainring for it. I allready had wolftooth parts so RF was easy choise and I had one on previous Felt also. But it is true that arms could have more curvy shape and spacers would be useless. I have no doubt OD is perfect fit. Good sides of cinch might be rigid 30mm axle and light weight. Might be but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    How's the Knard Bud combo workin' out? My Lou is pretty worn down and I wanted to try that.
    When I had motorcycles I always wanted to have more grip in front and Bud / Knard should be that. But still in fact I was a bit surpriced about grip that Knard gave. I'll test some more but this seems good. For winter Lou is probably better choise.

Here is few pics of a ride near my home this morning. It was raining like hell but tyres were really doing good work. Pressure was front 4PSI and rear 5PSI.

Views: 2300
Size:  211.0 KB

Views: 2213
Size:  154.2 KB

There was few nice "carwash" places on the trail. After rain those woods were full of water and I got really wet.

Views: 2205
Size:  136.7 KB

ICT is now christened!

Views: 2221
Size:  111.9 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Surly ICT thread-image.jpgJust joined the ICT owners club yesterday. Sweet local shop clearance deal at $1720 was too rad to pass up, sold my Long Haul Trucker and hour later, and off I rode into the sunset on my new ICT!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Just joined the ICT owners club yesterday. Sweet local shop clearance deal at $1720 was too rad to pass up, sold my Long Haul Trucker and hour later, and off I rode into the sunset on my new ICT!
    Wow, that's a deal. Would've been hard for me to resist. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey I'm going to run into the shop tomorrow and talk to them about ordering a bike, but I'm curious about the Surly sizing. (Sorry if this has been covered!)

My current bike has an 18" seat tube, 22.5" top tube, 23-23.5" effective top tube, and a 32.5" stand-over at the middle of the top tube.

I'm thinking that even though the seat tube on a Medium is 16.8" the longer top tube will make up the difference and give me a better fit than if I go with a Large?

FWIW my shop carries Pugsley's on the floor but would have to order in an ICT (though I will be able to ride it before I buy it).

Also, anyone running a Revelate bag on a Medium or Large ICT?

mtbr member
    Surly (Revelate) framebag size 1 on 16" ICT frame. Also two Revelate feedbags on handlebar.

Views: 2114
Size:  193.4 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like it fits well so I'll go that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Went for a Bluto a couple of weeks ago. Got the 2015 model for a nice price, it totally transforms the bike. Still have to figure out the correct pressure to sag ratio, as the recommended pressure gives way to little. im 210 lbs and ride around with 110 psi, in stead of the recommended 135+. The 110 psi give me an ~20% sag. Along with the dropper post, this thing is amazing at everything i throw at it. It inspires confidence, which, for a mtb newbie, is a very nice feeling. Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.

Keep in mind though, the Mucky Nutz fenders won't clear the bluto. A Beaver Guard should do the trick though. (which is not officialy available in europe).
    Pics:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    Went for a Bluto a couple of weeks ago. Got the 2015 model for a nice price, it totally transforms the bike. Still have to figure out the correct pressure to sag ratio, as the recommended pressure gives way to little. im 210 lbs and ride around with 110 psi, in stead of the recommended 135+. The 110 psi give me an ~20% sag. Along with the dropper post, this thing is amazing at everything i throw at it. It inspires confidence, which, for a mtb newbie, is a very nice feeling. Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.

Keep in mind though, the Mucky Nutz fenders won't clear the bluto. A Beaver Guard should do the trick though. (which is not officialy available in europe).
    Pics:

Nice ride. Beaver guard will work but the sides that attach to the stanchions get in the way of the fork rebound sometimes. Might be able to modify it. Or just make your own out of anything plastic and some zip ties.

mtbr member
    Yes, I went with the small. Perfect size for me. 5'8.5". I wouldn't want the TT any longer or closer to my crotch.

Ok. I found the answer to a question I had. Thanks. I'm 5'8.5" also. If I get an ICT, I will want to try the 2XL Snowshoes on it. I hear they raised the bike about 1" higher tt height.

mtbr member
    Geo chart comparison:
    Pugs
    Surly ICT thread-image.jpg

ICT:
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.
    Thats what I am thinking do do - still have to decide which frame size is the best for me.

What size is yours? M or L?
    I am 173 cm with 81,5 cm inseam (5'8" with 32" inseam)

Which Sram are going to use? (GX or X1 or XX1)
    Which crank?

I am also still thinking of buying a complete bike or a frame set - because of the 1x11 conversion.

The first image looks like taken on a place near my place?!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OocH, are you running an internal reverb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have a size Large. I'm 193cm with an 90ish cm (out of the top of my head) inseam.
    Planning on using a mixture of sram components: A shimano 11 speed casette (since 120€ is a lot for a salsa XD-driver body, gx deraileur (don't want to risk having to replace a 200€+ derailleur), Wolftooth chainring, and xx1 or x01 shifter. Haven't decided on a chain yet, since casette will be shimano, and deraileur Sram.
    Picture was taken right in front of the mountainbiker.at flagship store.

@Peterdaam:
    The reverb is external, since there is no place for internal routing.

Norđwegr
    Which size should I go for at 5'7? And will the fatbike spindle for the Race Face cinch canks fit?

There's a online store here that has one for $1610, retail in Norway is currently $2288 so it's not that bad of a deal. Only have til tomorrow to decide since that's the cutoff date for preordering a Cannondale Fat Caad ($2325 with preordering discount.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My ICT Ops...

Super generic but it's mine. Ended up springing for the large and like the fit. The bike feels super solid.

Nice stuff is nice, but I always get super anal. This is my first "name brand" bike and it's nice to finally have a nice bike. It took me a while to realize that the rear derailer had a clutch and that I didn't have the rear axle lined up in the chip (idiot!). Fork was also loose on my first ride with it (doh!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-20150915_194110.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dude that is a ripping steel machine right there. Nothing generic about it. Think classic. I like how 'solid' the ICT feels too. Point, pedal, roll over it. The ops spec is great. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful bike. I'm thinking of getting one for my son.

mtbr member
    i just put a bluto on the front of my ICT Opps. It has Avid BB7 and i had to purchase a adapter kitfor the 180 rotor. i can't get the spacing right. i feel like i have tried every combo in the instructions. Can anyone post a picture or their setup? thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello all,

Joined the club over the weekend and got an ICT ops. It is a blast to ride. It really slings the mud all over you. This was weekend was the first time riding my bike since I fractured my radial head and strained my wrist 6 weeks ago. It feels so good to be back on a bike. I spent too much time researching bikes during my time off the bike...

I spent almost all of yesterday making those wheels tubeless. It required way more tape than I wanted to use to build up the lips for the bead to seal and seat. May have to go back and rethink that in the future. I hope my wheels didnt turn out heavier than with a tube. :O

Future upgrades:
    I want to go sram x9, the mircorshifters are not doing it for me. Very awkward to use on descends. I need to figure out if I can run an x9 in the rear. I heard that the dropout is shimano only . Looks like I need to do some research.

Other simpler upgrades planned:
    Mud fenders
    Saddle
    Possible Breaks
    Bashgaurd

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jwal View Post

I spent almost all of yesterday making those wheels tubeless. It required way more tape than I wanted to use to build up the lips for the bead to seal and seat. May have to go back and rethink that in the future. I hope my wheels didnt turn out heavier than with a tube. :O
    I recently tried Something different and it worked like a charm. I set up all my fat tires split tubeless. In the past, I had to wrap a strap around the outside of the tire and shake it and do all sorts of goofy stuff and it finally would seal. If it's a new tire, not so bad. Used... That's a whole other story. You're lucky to get them sealed sometimes.
    Last week, I was mounting up a new rear Knard on a Clownshoe. I bought this roll of pink closed cell foam at Ace Hardware. It's about 3 3/4" wide and weighs NOTHING. I put one layer of it between the rim strip and the split tube. Seated the tire on the first try with a floor pump. Did't get a drop of Stan's on the floor or anything.
    I like turtles

Scant abuse
    I am think about putting a Bluto fork on my ICT.
    What do need to change?
    1. Brake adapter?
    2. Crown race? Or new headset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am think about putting a Bluto fork on my ICT.
    What do need to change?
    1. Brake adapter?
    2. Crown race? Or new headset?
    Brake adapter, and a crown race. No new headset needed. For anyone having trouble getting the brake positioned right, try clamping the brake down onto the rotor while all the bolts are still lose, then tightening the bolts down. That should get your brake in essentially the right place.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Brake adapter, and a crown race. No new headset needed. For anyone having trouble getting the brake positioned right, try clamping the brake down onto the rotor while all the bolts are still lose, then tightening the bolts down. That should get your brake in essentially the right place.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I recently tried Something different and it worked like a charm. I set up all my fat tires split tubeless. In the past, I had to wrap a strap around the outside of the tire and shake it and do all sorts of goofy stuff and it finally would seal. If it's a new tire, not so bad. Used... That's a whole other story. You're lucky to get them sealed sometimes.
    Last week, I was mounting up a new rear Knard on a Clownshoe. I bought this roll of pink closed cell foam at Ace Hardware. It's about 3 3/4" wide and weighs NOTHING. I put one layer of it between the rim strip and the split tube. Seated the tire on the first try with a floor pump. Did't get a drop of Stan's on the floor or anything.
    I thought about trying this method but i dislike how the tube has to be replaced every time I take a tire off. But I am keeping this in mind if the method I tried failed. Luckily my wheels seem to be holding well.

Tonight I put my bike back together. Took it apart to apply frame saver. During reinstall I adjusted the brakes. They are way more crisp then before. I also bed the pads in a tad. Stoping power isn't too bad. For those adjusting their brakes, I recommend loosing the pads the whole way. Loosen the bolts holding the caliper on. Then tight the knobs to bring the pads in; keep doing this until the brake lever is firm. Be sure to be equal in adjustment. Once the lever is firm, grasp down hard as said above, then tighten the bolts in an alternating fashion. You may have to back the pads off slightly so the pads dont rub. This method above has given me the best results with mechanical disc brakes.

On a different note, anyone running srams GX 11x on these? Seems like a better option over X9 for the price. That and it seems to be replacing x9.

Thank you

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Damn you people!

I was struggling between a cannondale habit and a spec camber.

Then, I got on this thread....maybe I am headed in the wrong direction. Frost blue looks soooooooo good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought a Moonlander a month before the ICT came out. I didn't ride my ML much after I rode the ICT at the bike shop, I really liked the ICT for my style. I am thinking I may sell my Moonie and buy an ICT. Just figuring out what to sell my Moonlander for...

mtbr member
    If I may ask a question, there's more things I don't know about bikes than what I do know. So I'm trying to learn. .
    The only thing I know about the ICT is it will fit 2XL Snowshoes. Which ttbomk is the largest fat bike tire. That is the part of the ICT that I am interested in. Well, that and it has brazeons for racks front and rear. Other than the different color, what is the purpose of the ICT Ops? And how do they differ from the Moonlander?
    As far as jumping on an ICT or a Blackborrow or a Moonlander and riding them. What would the differences be is one more suited for a certain type of riding than the other?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    If I may ask a question, there's more things I don't know about bikes than what I do know. So I'm trying to learn. .
    The only thing I know about the ICT is it will fit 2XL Snowshoes. Which ttbomk is the largest fat bike tire. That is the part of the ICT that I am interested in. Well, that and it has brazeons for racks front and rear. Other than the different color, what is the purpose of the ICT Ops? And how do they differ from the Moonlander?
    As far as jumping on an ICT or a Blackborrow or a Moonlander and riding them. What would the differences be is one more suited for a certain type of riding than the other?
    Thanks.
    To answer some of your questions:
    -Pug ops is black (why i bought it)
    -80mm Rim with 3.8" tires
    -Mechanical brakes
    -Lower quality sifters (microshifts)
    -I believe its lower quality derailleurs as well, but I dont feel like looking at surly's website right now.

The Ice Cream Truck
    -Its blue
    -Hydraulic brakes, Cant recall if they are guides or not
    -100mm Clown shoe rim
    -4.6" tires
    -Better shifters and derailleurs

The moonlander has 100mm rims, with more of a touring geometry. It also cannot accept a Bluto fork to my knowledge. The ICT geometry is more towards the side of single track usage.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jwal View Post
    -Pug ops is black (why i bought it)
    -80mm Rim with 3.8" tires
    -Mechanical brakes
    -Lower quality sifters (microshifts)
    -I believe its lower quality derailleurs as well, but I dont feel like looking at surly's website right now.

The Ice Cream Truck
    -Its blue
    -Hydraulic brakes, Cant recall if they are guides or not
    -100mm Clown shoe rim
    -4.6" tires
    -Better shifters and derailleurs

The moonlander has 100mm rims, with more of a touring geometry. It also cannot accept a Bluto fork to my knowledge. The ICT geometry is more towards the side of single track usage.
    The Moonlander uses an offset rear wheel assembly with a 135mm hub. The ICT uses a 190mm hub built straight up. This on top of what jwal said.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey guys!

Can someone say is size M suitable for me?
    I am 5′11.65″tall and inseam is 2′10.25″

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by maamu View Post
    Hey guys!

Can someone say is size M suitable for me?
    I am 5′11.65″tall and inseam is 2′10.25″
    I would get a large if I was you. I'm 5'10" and my inseam is 32"ish. The large fits perfect and is such a blast to ride. Good luck!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    I would get a large if I was you. I'm 5'10" and my inseam is 32"ish. The large fits perfect and is such a blast to ride. Good luck!
    I agree. I'd rather see you on a large.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to get to test drive both sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think it comes down to personal preference. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and after riding both I went with a medium. Look at the top tube measurements. I think even the top tube of the med is over 24" which is pretty long for a med. If you are a guy who runs longer stems like 70-90mm I would say med. If you are going short like 50mm stem I would say large.

I am running a 70mm stem and 760mm bars and it feels perfect

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    depends what you what to do with your bike
    more jumpy style M
    5' 8" i chоosed S and sometime still thinking xs will be more playful
    760 bar and 45mm stem

mtbr member
    Geeze, I must be an oddball. I am 5'5 and am on a Med. All my other bikes are smalls though. The med ICT just seemed more like my long distance touring rig, so I wanted less "flickable" and more "stable" and extended feeling comfy, not so upright. So I think it depends on the rider and feel. All those braze ons and squish just made me wanna go slightly bigger for the long miles of comfy saddle time without feeling like I was riding a cruiser and more like I was riding a tourer.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you guys, lot of good answers.
    My current bike is a Niner One 9 RDO size L and it always felt a bit big.

Norđwegr
    I found a ICT Ops frame for $605 and the DT Swiss BR2205 wheelset for $709, seems like a good deal right?

I'd just need a headset, cinch spindle and a ICT cinch spacer to get it up and running.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I found a ICT Ops frame for $605 and the DT Swiss BR2205 wheelset for $709, seems like a good deal right?

I'd just need a headset, cinch spindle and a ICT cinch spacer to get it up and running.

Not a bad a deal. My complete was 1800. What shifters and cassette are you planning on going with.

Where did you find those wheels? Local or online? I am considering a second set for some 4.8 tires.

Norđwegr
    It's local, includes a 25% tax so adjusted for US pricing it's a $985 total.

Probably just re-using stuff I already have, xt cassette with hope extender and a saint shifter. Cheap and reliable

The White Jeff W
    Wondering if anyone has found a quick release front thru axle that works with the ICT fork?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm on the way to order a ICT in S. But I have a question about the Seat Tube Length:
    On my other bike, the length from the crank to the top of the saddle is about 720 mm.
    The Seat Tube Length of the ICT in S is 376.4 mm - so I have to pull out the seat post about 340 mm. Is that possible? Because the seat post should be always as deep as the last frame connection is.
    (I don't know if this is clear)
    Greatings

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a size small as well. I'll have a look when and measure when I get home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great!

mtbr member
    I'm on the way to order a ICT in S. But I have a question about the Seat Tube Length:
    On my other bike, the length from the crank to the top of the saddle is about 720 mm.
    The Seat Tube Length of the ICT in S is 376.4 mm - so I have to pull out the seat post about 340 mm. Is that possible? Because the seat post should be always as deep as the last frame connection is.
    Greatings
    what part of the crank? in which position?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My post (Thomson) sticks out 240mm. Approx total length from the centre of the BB spindle to the top of the post is 650mm.
    The seat post is 360mm in length.

mtbr member
    what part of the crank? in which position?
    I think people usually measure from crank center, don't they? Or at least, I do. My saddle rails are always 25.5" away from my crank center(aka bottom bracket).
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    From the center to top, please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wArden View Post
    I have a size small as well. I'll have a look when and measure when I get home.
    May I ask again:
    What I am looking for is the X1 and the X2 measurements in the drawing.
    Surly ICT thread-geometrie-ict-s.jpg

The Seat Tube Length (Center-Top) ist 376/28.3.
    The seat post should be reaching from the top of seat tube + the length of X1 to the saddle hight (720/28.3). With the measurements of X1 I know how long the seat post must be. I have a inseam of about 815/32.

Thanks to the S people!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok. I'll get my measurements tonight.

mtbr member
    May I ask again:

Name:	Geometrie ICT S.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1026901

The seat post should be reaching from the top of seat tube + the length of X1 to the saddle hight (720/28.3). With the measurements of X1 I know how long the seat post must be. I have a inseam of about 815/32.

Thanks to the S people!
    this is the best I could do. The post is at it's max height. Right to the line.
    If you need the post that high to be comfortable. You may want to try the med.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_5508.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_5509.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_5512.jpg  

Ipso Facto
    Greatings
    To clarify, the measurement is made from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    To clarify, the measurement is made from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.
    Yes, center to top.

this is the best I could do. The post is at it's max height. Right to the line.
    If you need the post that high to be comfortable. You may want to try the med.
    Thanks a lot that helps. I need 720/28.3 for my right saddle hight. That's more or less what you measured. If I need a little more extra length, I can get a 400 mm seat post.

I tried the Medium, but always felt a little long for me. I didn't ride a small because there is no S in Austria.
    How heavy is the S?

mtbr member
    Yes, center to top.

Thanks a lot that helps. I need 720/28.3 for my right saddle hight. That's more or less what you measured. If I need a little more extra length, I can get a 400 mm seat post.

I tried the Medium, but always felt a little long for me. I didn't ride a small because there is no S in Austria.
    How heavy is the S?
    That's a little more difficult to get. As I don't have a scale. I'm guessing about 35 or so. She's a heffer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Heffer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finally got around to doing some of the stuff I wanted to originally do to my ICT Ops.

I took off the outer ring and replaced it with a Surly OD Bashguard
    Removed the front shifter and cable
    Removed the rear shifter and replaced it with an SLX rapid fire shifter (couldn't get used to the micro shift thumb shifters!)
    Finally got around to cutting off the extra three feet of steerer that Surly provides with their forks...

I love my bike, but sometimes do think about a Krampus...

Oh, and 'heffer' = heifer.

mtbr member
    36lbs for a medium. Pretty stock.

But considering a Mongoose full susser from Wally World is 35....not bad
    I weighed my son's friend's bike when he was here. Lead?! Dang, that stuff is H E A V Y for what you get!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member

Great day for riding. Crisp fall air, temp in the upper 30s.

Only my second ride on the ICT. Got several personal records. This bike is super fast on the loose gravel that dominates the local trails except on the rocky or rooty sections, then I could feel that it's still rigid. Braking bumps were a bit unpleaseant too. I'm still faster through those sections on my SB66, but I love riding the truck so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The thing is, I'm pretty much shure to get an ICT in S. My other bike is a doing it all Cyclocross bike with is about 9.5 kg/21lbs. So I don't know how important weight is for a fatbike. Most of the fatbikes are 14 kg in that price range. The ict is 16 kg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Weigh your bikes less, and ride more.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    May I ask again:

Name:	Geometrie ICT S.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1026901

Thanks to the S people!

What software/program are you using to measure your frame geometry there? I have been trying to find something that'll do that for ages.

Norđwegr
    If you want to get really geeky about the geo, this works alright
    GearInches.com » Bike Geometry Comparator

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Illustrator from Adobe

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the help. I pretty much stayed up all night playing with it. Now, Do any of you remember the HS you used when setting up with the Bluto? The head tube is IS44 top and bottom, but the fork has a taper to it. I am slightly confused here. :S

mtbr member
    Hey fellow ICT owners, do Surly Nice Racks fit on the rear of this bad boy? I have seen people put them on the pugs & Moonies(granted, the offset is an issue that requires spacers/mounting tweaks) but I am not sure they can fit the ICT.
    This is my expedition bike, so I am toying with racks and what options I have. Would like to stay silver colored, if possible(although, I might just powdercoat the dang thing hot pink to match my bike accents....so color might not be so much an issue!)
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Haven't posted a pic for a while.

Ah, that's better.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Haven't posted a pic for a while.
    Good point! Need to fix this immediately!

Views: 1412
Size:  128.0 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Fun ride today on the ICT. Love this bike. Just installed a Reverb, and was too impatient to shorten the hose.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednblackbike View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering about bikepacking capabilities. My Ice Cream truck performed awesome.

Attachment 938336
    Nice....! I have a bikepacking ICT Related question. I'm making a custom frame bag for a guy at the moment and was wondering what the widest possible width is at the bottom bracket for a frame bag. He thought possibly 110mm/4.3" would work without any foot interference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The BB measured from frame to frame end is 5.25"
    To make sure you clear the chain, chainring bolts, and crank arms, 4.5" wide is about the biggest you could go and not have interference if you overstuffed your soft sided frame bags. At least visually, that is my take when I measured it & spun the cranks. 4.3" should be fine.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

The BB measured from frame to frame end is 5.25"
    To make sure you clear the chain, chainring bolts, and crank arms, 4.5" wide is about the biggest you could go and not have interference if you overstuffed your soft sided frame bags. At least visually, that is my take when I measured it & spun the cranks. 4.3" should be fine.
    Thanks for the help. Have a great one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Surly ICT thread-img_1987.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    First post!

Been lurking here for a number of years. My cycle knowledge consist of changing tires and V brakes that's about it. I am not knowledgeable as most of you here and I have learned a lot in the pass few years. My current aging ride is a DB ascent EX year 1990 which I am the original owner. It is my only bike. It has served me very well.

I just realized the existence of FAT bikes 1 week ago when I was in LBS looking for new tires for the DB and knew I really need one. So, here I am with a store demo ICT! My 2nd bike.

Since my DB still has all factory parts on it (steel frame too) with the exception of updating to front shock I got 10 years back, I don't plan on doing much with ICT major component wise especially that I went way over my budget to get one. But there are some stuff I would like to consider and I have questions I hope you all can help:

1) The 36 front is too large for me and 22 too small for general putting around town, if I stay 2X, I would like to replace both 36/22 to like a 34/24 or 32/24... are those gearing advisable? where would I source compatible parts? I have read here that the surly rings may not be as durable as hoped and the OD crank has "unique" bolt pattern.

2) If I go with 1X, would the best chain line be achieved by replacing the inner ring or the outer? I assume I would need a NW ring... which brand would be compatible?

3) I am definitely going to try ghetto tubeless. I have asked LBS to order the proper QTubes. I would like to put reflective strips so they will show through the cut outs for bling and safety reasons, how wide do I need? is the order: rim -> reflective strip -> original rim strip -> QTube?

In general, I hope this bike will last me another 25 years like my DB has!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Congrats on your purchase of the ICT. You will have a LOT of fun on that bike. It is probably my favourite bike that I have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooslow View Post
    1) The 36 front is too large for me and 22 too small for general putting around town, if I stay 2X, I would like to replace both 36/22 to like a 34/24 or 32/24... are those gearing advisable? where would I source compatible parts? I have read here that the surly rings may not be as durable as hoped and the OD crank has "unique" bolt pattern.
    I felt the same about the 36 tooth ring and went with a Blackspire 34 tooth. I probably could have gone with a 32 and be a bit more usable.
    Blackspire - SuperPro 94/58 BCD Chainrings | Blackspire

I personally like the 22 tooth granny especially when riding in the snow. The tires are bigger and you are pushing more mass and have more traction/drag so it's nice to have the extra low gear. I find that I use more gear range across the cassette with the 22t.
    As a tip: keep the clutch on the rear derailleur. I found that I would get chainsuck in the granny if I didn't have it on.

Surly OD cranks run on a 94 BCD (bolt circle diameter).

Wolf Tooth makes a 94 BCD ring but only in narrow-wide for 1x systems.

Which brings me to your next question...

2) If I go with 1X, would the best chain line be achieved by replacing the inner ring or the outer? I assume I would need a NW ring... which brand would be compatible?
    Here is some info on the Surly website to answer converting over to 1x

OD crank and 1x11 drivetrains | Blog | Surly Bikes

3) I am definitely going to try ghetto tubeless. I have asked LBS to order the proper QTubes. I would like to put reflective strips so they will show through the cut outs for bling and safety reasons, how wide do I need? is the order: rim -> reflective strip -> original rim strip -> QTube?
    I haven't converted to tubeless yet. I was going to set up ghetto-style with some Gorilla tape (the widest you can buy). I'm sure if you do a search you will find some good info on that, or someone will chime in with better experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the welcome and all your answers. It was between ICT and Wednesday. But, LBS weren't going to get W in anytime soon unless I order. Given the cost, I wasn't keen on ordering unless I touch/feel . So ICT it is. I did also got to try out a fatboy... that was also a nicely kitted bike. Very lively and nimble. The rims to me were prettier and ground control were much quieter and rolls better than bud/lou. I really don't need the fancy setup on the ICT; I believe W or the fatboy would have done me well for another 2 decades just that the fatboy doesn't feel as planted... almost too much feedback if you can believe it.

I checked out the rings from Blackspires... wow they are not cheap. I was going to bite the bullet and just go with the NW 28 from surly, but your insight on using the 22 in the snow got me questioning going 1X now; also, I can't seem to find any online. I never ridden in snow (we don't get much here anyhow) but, since I have a bike now that could, it got me curious. If I stay with 2X, I will definitely change out the outer to a smaller ring. Does the every 4 tooth remove one link rule still apply?

I will wait on the tubeless install order or ask in a separate thread.

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you are new to the fatbike thing and not sure if you will ride snow or not if I were you I'd keep the setup you have. Get used to the way the bike rides in different conditions, on the road, off-road, in snow etc. You will find out what you will need to change.
    Keeping the 2x system will give you a lot of options and let you see what works.

I did 2 rides with the 36 tooth ring and found it was too high of a gear for me in the trails. On the road or flat gravel it was ok. But I found that I was always in the 3 lowest gears in the cassette, therefore, going to a smaller chainring will move me more into the middle cassette.

Changing tires to something more semi-slick (I have Big Fat Larry) for the summer. That makes a big difference.
    So does tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    To those using Chris King headsets on their ICTs, do you mind providing the specific model nu,ber of those headsets. Thanks. Paul

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    To those using Chris King headsets on their ICTs, do you mind providing the specific model nu,ber of those headsets. Thanks. Paul
    I'm running one. You need Inset 1. It's for 44mm headtube and 1.125" steerer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok, I will check Inset 1 in the fitting guide. I thought, based on the pics that I have seen so far, is that it would be Inset 3, which has the usual bulging Chris King bottom cup. Inset 1 has no cup in the bottom portion, so am I missing something. Could you please put in some pictures?

Ipso Facto
    Ok, I will check Inset 1 in the fitting guide. I thought, based on the pics that I have seen so far, is that it would be Inset 3, which has the usual bulging Chris King bottom cup. Inset 1 has no cup in the bottom portion, so am I missing something. Could you please put in some pictures?
    Inset3 is for a tapered steerer. The ICT fork has a straight steerer. Surly ICT thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Well golly gee! Thanks Will.

That is indeed an Inset 1 headset you have there. What is strange is that I have seen pictures here in MTBR of a Surly ICT with an orange Chris King Headset but with the bottom bracket cup clearly shown in the bottom and the top just like what you have there. Strange. How can that be? Hmmm....

mtbr member
    You're sure it was an ICT & not a Moonie or a Pugs? Some people repaint their rides and it must have been a non tapered headset.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a smoother pavement or general purpose tire that would fit CS? Due to schedule/life, I rarely see dirt. I would rather save the knobbies for those special times. Also, while I do understand fat bike is about going as fat as possible, I would like to have a 2nd wheelset that are narrower like ~65-70mm range for general use. Other than margie lites and $$ carbons any other recommendations and where I can get some? I checked a couple of LBS and they don't stock anything FAT related and have to special order (full retail).

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You're sure it was an ICT & not a Moonie or a Pugs? Some people repaint their rides and it must have been a non tapered headset.
    You could be right. But it certainly looked like an ICT. It's a thread here somewhere in MTBR where the guy posted pics of his ICT with orange hubs, cables, rims strips and that orange Chris King headset I was talking about. In fact, he eventually sold it and I saw more pics somewhere else....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 11Sport View Post
    Form the looks of the last several posts, I need to go 5"...Attachment 952274Attachment 952275
    Here are those pics with the orange Chris King Headset. Notice the bottom cups of the Chris King is showing here. The frame certainly looks like an ICT to me...

The plot thickens. :>)
    Last edited by paxfobiscum; 12-17-2015 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Who was the member? Can't you just ask him? It certainly looks like an ICT from all angles and the MDS rear chipset ends, so not a repaint or fake stickers job. But the headset looks like an old style non taper, weird indeed!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The member is "11Sport" as indicated in the quote. I sent him a PM already and asked him on the thread. Never got a response. So the question remains: Why the different Chris King Headset versions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is the ICT fork steel tube tapered? If not then he could have installed a 1.5" compatible lower cup and have an adapter race on the fork. That way he could more easily swap to a Bluto which have a tapered steer tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    From the Surly site. Bottom EC which is external cup

Headset/Steertube44mm ID. Recommend EC44 lower cups. Zero Stack on top is o.k.

Pedaling

Ipso Facto
    Well golly gee! Thanks Will.

That is indeed an Inset 1 headset you have there. What is strange is that I have seen pictures here in MTBR of a Surly ICT with an orange Chris King Headset but with the bottom bracket cup clearly shown in the bottom and the top just like what you have there. Strange. How can that be? Hmmm....
    I've seen those too. The is a bottom race that allows for the external bottom bearing and reduces to the 1.125" steerer. People run these if they also run a Bluto so that you are already setup with the headset. I don't plan on going squish on the front so I chose this route.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Had some time off so I decided to converted to tubeless with Qtubes method; not that I know what it does for me but I did it anyways. Went well except mine never "popped" even with a compressor.

Went for a 5 mile ride paved and very mild single track and no leaks. Will see tomorrow if they still keep pressure overnight.

My pump doesn't register pressure at all at this level but tires have some give if you squeeze it.

Really nice ride and the clutch did well with no chain slap even though I was not smooth at all.

Any one can recommend more of a road tire for general use? For tubless, changing tires, do I need to redo the Q tubes or can I reuse?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is the ICT fork steel tube tapered? If not then he could have installed a 1.5" compatible lower cup and have an adapter race on the fork. That way he could more easily swap to a Bluto which have a tapered steer tube.
    No it is not. Running the 1.5" lower with the adapter race is a good solution for future Bluto compatibility.

Same applies to the Wednesday BTW.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

turtles make me hot
    Had some time off so I decided to converted to tubeless with Qtubes method; not that I know what it does for me but I did it anyways. Went well except mine never "popped" even with a compressor.

Went for a 5 mile ride paved and very mild single track and no leaks. Will see tomorrow if they still keep pressure overnight.

My pump doesn't register pressure at all at this level but tires have some give if you squeeze it.

Really nice ride and the clutch did well with no chain slap even though I was not smooth at all.

Any one can recommend more of a road tire for general use? For tubless, changing tires, do I need to redo the Q tubes or can I reuse?

thanks
    I trim the excess tube right to the rim so I don't try to save it. I just replace the split tube. Better to ultimately have two sets of wheels.
    I rode Bud and Lou for almost two years. I started doing a 12 mile paved path near my house to build stamina after a broken ankle. I wore poor Lou down to the nub. I replaced it with a 4.8 Knard on the rear. Kept Bud up front. LOVE the combo. Bike rolls way better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I trim the excess tube right to the rim so I don't try to save it. I just replace the split tube. Better to ultimately have two sets of wheels.
    I rode Bud and Lou for almost two years. I started doing a 12 mile paved path near my house to build stamina after a broken ankle. I wore poor Lou down to the nub. I replaced it with a 4.8 Knard on the rear. Kept Bud up front. LOVE the combo. Bike rolls way better.
    Hey thanks for the advice. I been trying to find a low cost set of rims to make swap easier. The Marge lite set built is costly $700 ish I think. I was thinking with them + fat b nimbles for general use and save cs for snow days. Although we don't much snow at all so they would see little use. $20 tubes $8 sealant per swap plus time can get annoying I imagine and I would rather save the money for a bike stand

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

ICT Ops - First Day of Riding

Today was my first day of riding my new ICT Ops. My first fat bike too. Anyway, I rode it on one of the local trails. I don't know what psi I had, since my floor pump didn't seem to register it. I can tell that I should get a gauge that can measure lower pressures. I was pleased how it did over the rocks and roots. The only non-stock item is that I have SLX shifters, not the micro shifters.

I was going to get a Wednesday, but went for the ICT Ops after Surly dropped the price of the ICT. The bike reminds me of my old Karate Monkey, just bigger. But, like the KM, I am thinking of getting a suspension fork.

Surly ICT thread-trail-open-2.jpg
    Last edited by DoNotPay; 12-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Surly ICT thread

Nice! It was between Wednesday and ict for me too. Dealer had an ict but need to order Wednesday and ops version so I ended up with big blue. Nice looking stealth black. I am building fenders for mine now

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I realize the ICT is the anti-weight weenie bike but I'm curious if anyone has tried put one on a serious diet?

I've had one since last fall and love it but it's a little heavy for racing. I'd love to get it under 30lbs but not sure if it's worth my time/money. Anyone else try something like this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by caad4rep View Post
    I realize the ICT is the anti-weight weenie bike but I'm curious if anyone has tried put one on a serious diet?

I've had one since last fall and love it but it's a little heavy for racing. I'd love to get it under 30lbs but not sure if it's worth my time/money. Anyone else try something like this?
    - New wheelset with carbon rims and light hubs?
    - No front derailleur
    - RaceFace Turbine Cinch crankset
    - Carbon stem, bar and post (yikes!)
    - Carbon saddle

That's pretty much all the stuff that you can change. With that said,HOWEVER, this frames is heavy and changing those items won't make a big dent. It would still probably be more than 30 lbs. You're better off getting one of those really cheap Chinese carbon frame / fork assemblies and put all those items above into that plastic frame.

Your call...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If I were to change out chain ring, do I have to take the crank off he bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes

mtbr member
    If I were to change out chain ring, do I have to take the crank off he bike?

Thanks
    You do not need to remove the cranks. Watch this video if you want some details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What are all of you using for a 1X conversion with the OD crank? What's the smallest NW ring available that is compatible with that crank?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Surly makes a 28t stainless steel NW ring with a 58mm BCD (mount it on the inner ring holes).
    Drivetrain | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

Wolf Tooth makes a 28t aluminum NW with a 94mm BCD (mount on the outer ring holes).
    94 mm BCD for 5-bolt Cranks – wolftoothcomponents.com

I would personally go with the Surly since it mounts on the inner ring of the crank and will give you a better chainline. Also, it leaves space to run a bash guard as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by caad4rep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JaMMu76 View Post
    Just under 30lbs
    Attachment 976628
    I got mine just under 30lbs, it was a huge difference with those wheels and tires comparing to clown shoe and Bud/Lou set.
    I really miss that bike

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Diet ICT; trail capable

- New wheelset with carbon rims and light hubs?
    - No front derailleur
    - RaceFace Turbine Cinch crankset
    - Carbon stem, bar and post (yikes!)
    - Carbon saddle

That's pretty much all the stuff that you can change. With that said,HOWEVER, this frames is heavy and changing those items won't make a big dent. It would still probably be more than 30 lbs. You're better off getting one of those really cheap Chinese carbon frame / fork assemblies and put all those items above into that plastic frame.

Your call...
    I guess that dude would be me... Finished the build 6 days ago. It's not all weenie as its for trail riding in New Zealand, but the spec is:

Large ICT frame, custom powder coated
    120mm Bluto
    Nextie Wild Dragon 90mm carbon rims
    Hope Fatsno hubs
    DT Aerolite spokes with alloy nipples
    45Nrth Dillinger 5 4.8" tyres (not studded), set up tubeless with a Stan's Flow rim strip
    Raceface 6C 800mm carbon bar
    Raceface 35mm x 35mm Atlas stem
    Specialized ergo grips
    XTR trail brakes
    Shimano IceTech rotors 203mm f, 180mm r
    XTR rear derailleur
    XTR shifter
    1x11 with XT 11-42 rear cassette
    Raceface Next SL crank and single ring, running 22 tooth just now as I like to be able to climb vertically
    KS LEV 150mm dropper post
    Tune Speedneedle Alcantara saddle
    XTR trail pedals
    Beaver Guard

It comes in at 14.4KG (31.5lb) with pedals, carbon bottle cage and Garmin mount.
    Last edited by Fen; 12-09-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Adding details I forgot

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like a real nice build! Post some pictures!!
    And how do you like the 120mm Bluto?

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sounds like a real nice build! Post some pictures!!
    And how do you like the 120mm Bluto?
    The Bluto took a bit of dialling in - the recommended air pressure was way high compared with where I have it now. I like it, but I'm still getting used to it. It's a different ride to the 29er XC dually I've been riding recently and it's also a lot different to the first-gen FatBoy Expert I used to have (rigid of course).

I went with 120mm as someone locally was selling it brand new in the box for way less than ordering one through the LBS would be, and it may be better dropping it to 100mm but I'll see how it goes. It's the slackest angled bike I've owned and I'll give it some time to see how I like it. Yesterday I took it down a couple of more advanced trails than I normally ride so I think it's going well.

I've had creaking BB issues that shortened a couple of rides so I bonded the cups in as per Raceface instructions last night and hopefully will get out tomorrow if the weather plays nice.

Pictures - here you go. The iPad didn't play nice with the upload so I'm on my Mac now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_2441.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2442.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2443.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2444.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2445.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2446.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2447.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2448.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2449.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2450.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_2451.jpg  

Last edited by Fen; 12-09-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added another photo

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    I guess that dude would be me... Finished the build 6 days ago. It's not all weenie as its for trail riding in New Zealand, but the spec is:

Large ICT frame, custom powder coated
    120mm Bluto
    Nextie Wild Dragon 90mm carbon rims
    Hope Fatsno hubs
    DT Aerolite spokes with alloy nipples
    45Nrth Dillinger 5 4.8" tyres (not studded), set up tubeless with a Stan's Flow rim strip
    Raceface 6C 800mm carbon bar
    Raceface 35mm x 35mm Atlas stem
    Specialized ergo grips
    XTR trail brakes
    Shimano IceTech rotors 203mm f, 180mm r
    XTR rear derailleur
    XTR shifter
    1x11 with XT 11-42 rear cassette
    Raceface Next SL crank and single ring, running 22 tooth just now as I like to be able to climb vertically
    KS LEV 150mm dropper post
    Tune Speedneedle Alcantara saddle
    XTR trail pedals

It comes in at 14.4KG (31.5lb) with pedals, carbon bottle cage and Garmin mount.
    Thinking about how light an ICT could go...

My partner has an ICT Ops in XS. It's stock apart from SLX hydro brakes and it has 3.8 Knards in place of the Nates. It weighs 13.6KG with pedals and no saddle (it's on her new road bike while she waits for a second one to arrive), so almost exactly the same as mine, probably a few grams / ounces lighter.

I'm guessing that I could easily drop mine around another 2.5-3kg with tyres like 4" Jumbo Jim (790g each I believe versus my 1490g Dillingers, so 1,400g right there), fitting the Surly rigid fork would save me about 300g, a Lauf Carbonara, which I'd like to try, would save 600g and a rigid carbon fork could probably save close to 1kg. A fixed carbon seat post would save another 350g maybe.

I could also weenie-out by replacing some of my components that are light but not the lightest available to save another few grams, and go with smaller rotors I guess.

I don't know what penalty the large frame has over the XS as I didn't weigh just my frame and my partner's came partially assembled so I couldn't weigh it bare even if I had wanted to (without stripping it anyway).

Setting the weight of different size frames apart in that case I think you could get large ICT down to about 11kg / 23lb if you really wanted to, and I could drop mine to 12kg pretty easily with tyres, the rigid fork and a new seat post. I could probably get that close to 11.5kg with a carbon fork.
    Last edited by Fen; 12-09-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Highlighting how much weight could be saved by each component change

Chris Bling
    Any of you guys experience any issues with the wider Q factor of the ICT? Or with the PFBB giving you any issues?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Any of you guys experience any issues with the wider Q factor of the ICT? Or with the PFBB giving you any issues?
    Yes on the PFBB - I used Loctite on mine around 24 hours ago as recommended by Raceface because it was creaking. Why might I have experienced creaks is that I had my frame powder coated and therefore the internal coating was removed when it was stripped, which could be enough to upset the tolerances. Raceface does use metal cups which should be better than plastic (which I assume is what the stock bike has), but if I've lost 0.5mm through the internal coating being removed then that's all it would take.

In terms of Q factor I don't expect any issues. I really noticed it for about 30 seconds when I started riding the ICT after a 29er XC bike, but that was it. It is wider than my Fatboy was, but not massively so and I found my Fatboy all-day comfortable - moreso than any of my other bikes, ECR included.
    Last edited by Fen; 12-09-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Goodness gracious Fen, my estimate of all those components add up to almost $3,500, not too mention a custom paint job that would add anothe $500.

Jeez... all to reduce the weight by 5 pounds. I hope you bought just the frame and built it up, because technically that is the only single thing left from an original spec Surly ICT.

You must really love this frameset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Goodness gracious, Fen...that bike gets me a lil' randy. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Seconded. Fen, that's a really nice build. Love the custom paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Jeez... all to reduce the weight by 5 pounds.
    Five pounds is a lot of weight. Especially in the wheels.

That paint job looks great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wArden View Post
    That paint job looks great!
    Looks like a 9zero7 (Sliding dropout - 135mm frame) Design

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Surly ICT thread

I hate to post after such a fancy build. I finally put in 32 ring from origin8. I had to do a lot of derailleur adjustment to get it to shift even now there some combination of cog that will cause shifting from 22 to 32 trouble especially going up hill.

Is there anything specific about mounting ring? The surly ring has a key hole that goes to crank but this after market one does not. Just want to make sure I am doing it right. I had to take to crank off due to some of the holes were blocked and I would hate to have to do it again

Thanks

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    Goodness gracious, Fen...that bike gets me a lil' randy. Very nice.
    Ha!

Thanks guys. The build got out of hand really.

I had a Fatboy Expert which I bought on a whim, started to use more and more and eventually loved so much it was the only bike I would ride, but I wanted front suspension so I could ride it more.

With the QR hubs and (what now looks like) non-standard spacing it was going to cost a fair bit to add a Bluto and I really would have wanted a new wheel so I could switch back to rigid rather than lace in a new hub. And it would still be QR rear.

Then the NZ Surly importer decided to close down and they offered their remaining stock for huge discount. I paid about half list for the frame set. They got cheaper still and yesterday you could have picked up a small Pugsley frame set for NZ$149 and a pair of Nates for NZ$20 each before it sold out.

I couldn't decide on a colour scheme that would work with the blue and be different as 2 friends already had, or were building, blue ICTs with Nextie wheels, one with blue and one with green rims. I went to a local powder coater and chose the green, and then I painted the white sections over it myself and used a Surly decal set.

I figured I'd build it slowly over time, but then I saw the Bluto going for a good price and snapped that up which got me enthusiastic and I ordered the rims and then it snowballed. I guess that the components are possibly a bit much for a steel frame, but saying that the frame isn't massively heavy and it is the only stock ICT component in the build.

I'm going to ride it for a while, and keep my eye on the market while I do, and make a call if I want to go dual suspension. I already like the look of the Maxx Huraxdax frame and I could move all but my seat post across to one of those. Or if someone brings a dual suspension carbon frame with 197 x 12 rear thru axle I'd be keen on that. But I'm not sure if I need rear suspension. If I do buy a new frame I'll build the ICT rigid with lower end components (XT most likely) and share wheels between the two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't see anything wrong with having XTR on an ICT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Really nice looking build!
    Did you use the RF's ICT spesific spacer set to setup correctly that crankset? I tought that only Turbine would fit on ICT..

turtles make me hot
    I met FIVE guys on the trail yesterday that all have ICTs coming.
    I like turtles

LCW
    mtbr member
    The Bluto took a bit of dialling in - the recommended air pressure was way high compared with where I have it now. I like it, but I'm still getting used to it. It's a different ride to the 29er XC dually I've been riding recently and it's also a lot different to the first-gen FatBoy Expert I used to have (rigid of course).

I went with 120mm as someone locally was selling it brand new in the box for way less than ordering one through the LBS would be, and it may be better dropping it to 100mm but I'll see how it goes. It's the slackest angled bike I've owned and I'll give it some time to see how I like it. Yesterday I took it down a couple of more advanced trails than I normally ride so I think it's going well.

I've had creaking BB issues that shortened a couple of rides so I bonded the cups in as per Raceface instructions last night and hopefully will get out tomorrow if the weather plays nice.

Pictures - here you go. The iPad didn't play nice with the upload so I'm on my Mac now.

How wide is that D5 on your 90mm rim? Can you please measure it? thnx!!

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just ordered an ICT Ops with Deore shifters and Bud/Lou (get to keep the Nates as well) for $1500 out the door. Was thinking about getting a Framed Alaskan, but the sale on this was pretty killer. The slack geometry and ability to ride dirt made it seem like a better buy. Anyone think I'll have regrets?

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    Did you use the RF's ICT spesific spacer set to setup correctly that crankset? I tought that only Turbine would fit on ICT..
    To be honest I'm not sure. LBS fitted the bearing cups and sleeve, and gave me the crank set with the longer (190?) Cinch axle already in the non-drive crank arm, plus a bunch of spacers, so all I had to do was put the axle through and bolt on the drive side with chain ring when it arrived (it was on back order).

I just packed it evenly with spacers either side, torqued it to spec and used the adjuster ring on the non-drive arm to take the last hair of gap out.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
    Just ordered an ICT Ops with Deore shifters and Bud/Lou (get to keep the Nates as well) for $1500 out the door. Was thinking about getting a Framed Alaskan, but the sale on this was pretty killer. The slack geometry and ability to ride dirt made it seem like a better buy. Anyone think I'll have regrets?
    Wow. Shimano shifters, Bud/Lou AND Nates... good deal!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Fen
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    How wide is that D5 on your 90mm rim? Can you please measure it? thnx!!
    I don't have exactly the right tool for the job, but using a square and a metal ruler I make it 110mm (4.33"). They have been mounted tubeless for about 10 days so I imagine have stretched about as much as they will. That seems a bit disappointing, but it's in line with what these guys found in their review: 45NRTH Dillinger 5 Studded Fat Bike Tire Review | Fyxation

LCW
    mtbr member
    I don't have exactly the right tool for the job, but using a square and a metal ruler I make it 110mm (4.33"). They have been mounted tubeless for about 10 days so I imagine have stretched about as much as they will. That seems a bit disappointing, but it's in line with what these guys found in their review: 45NRTH Dillinger 5 Studded Fat Bike Tire Review | Fyxation
    Awesome!! Thanks much!!

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    The Next SL and Turbine are using the same Cinch system and both work on the ICT.

Chris Bling
    Inset3 is for a tapered steerer. The ICT fork has a straight steerer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	1032879
    This is not an Inset 3. Inset 3 has a 44 upper and 49 lower.
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

Chris Bling
    I've seen those too. The is a bottom race that allows for the external bottom bearing and reduces to the 1.125" steerer. People run these if they also run a Bluto so that you are already setup with the headset. I don't plan on going squish on the front so I chose this route.
    I believe what you want to run the ICT fork and Bluto is an Inset 4 with a 44mm external lower cup. This will work for the Bluto. For the ICT fork, order the Devolution 1.5--->1.125 baseplate p.n. PHS626
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Built this guy up last night.

Already have installed RaceFace AEffect pedals and Oury lock-ons. Needs a new seatpost and saddle, and I'll be ready to rip.

Carbon bars and maybe a Bluto in the future.

banned
    Nov 2008
    So I'm about to pull the trigger on a ICT ops since I found a pretty good deal. Just wondering about sizing I tested out a large Wednesday and it didn't really feel stretched out to me which is strange because I'm only 5'8 with a 30" inseam. So I'm thinking about going with a Medium ICT Ops?

Also rode a Salsa beargrease in Medium and that felt pretty spot on as well.

I see majority of people are running the Bluto 100mm, has anyone tried out the 80mm Bluto though?

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    This is not an Inset 3. Inset 3 has a 44 upper and 49 lower.
    Yes, this is not an inset3

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What kind of good deal did you find? Surly marked them down to $1200 a week ago, so make sure you're getting that price.

Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    So I'm about to pull the trigger on a ICT ops since I found a pretty good deal. Just wondering about sizing I tested out a large Wednesday and it didn't really feel stretched out to me which is strange because I'm only 5'8 with a 30" inseam. So I'm thinking about going with a Medium ICT Ops?

Also rode a Salsa beargrease in Medium and that felt pretty spot on as well.

I see majority of people are running the Bluto 100mm, has anyone tried out the 80mm Bluto though?

banned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillstinky View Post
    What kind of good deal did you find? Surly marked them down to $1200 a week ago, so make sure you're getting that price.
    Yeah that's exactly what I found, I'm just trying to figure out my size.

Flappity flappity flap
    Yeah that's exactly what I found, I'm just trying to figure out my size.
    Pretty sure they're out of larges so I hope a medium will fit you.

banned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Pretty sure they're out of larges so I hope a medium will fit you.
    I'm a tree stump (5'8) and have no business being on a large. Apparently the mediums are out of stock, so I might just grab a small. I just like a cramped cockpit, even though everyone my height is on a small.

I just got an and compared the small ICT specs to my small Cotic Bfe, it will work for sure.

Now if I could could just found a White Bluto in 100mm, apparently they only come in white on OE bikes.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Hey, can I ask any of the gracious folks in here to measure the standover on a medium ICT? The reported standover of 30.7"/779m seems extremely high for a medium frame. Also I am hearing of people with inseams well below 31" saying they have okay clearance on a medium ICT. I'm wondering if Surly's reported SO measurement might be somehow inflated.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    With a reported Standover of 30.7", you would be comfortable with a medium?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    Hey, can I ask any of the gracious folks in here to measure the standover on a medium ICT? The reported standover of 30.7"/779m seems extremely high for a medium frame. Also I am hearing of people with inseams well below 31" saying they have okay clearance on a medium ICT. I'm wondering if Surly's reported SO measurement might be somehow inflated.
    Well with my tires rediculously overinflated and me not on it, it is 30.7 in the center of the TT to the ground. But where I actually stand over the TT, more rearward towards the seat tube & crank is closer to 29.5. If I have one foot on the pedal and my tires properly deflated for riding(hubby rode it last, he is 200lbs...I am 120), you can probably subtract another inch from both measurements to the ground.
    Your real world measurements may vary
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just stood over my Medium Ice Cream truck and at the lowest point the standover is 30". The highest point is definitely in my crotch (without shoes on). I'm 5'11" and went with a medium and at this point I'm pretty happy with that. However most bike cockpits have always felt long for me, so maybe I have short arms or something. From the center of the steerer to the center of the saddle is the same length as my Large Kona Hei Hei Hei.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Thanks!

banned
    Nov 2008
    With a reported Standover of 30.7", you would be comfortable with a medium?
    I think a medium would fit be fine, need be if I'm a little stretched out I would just run a shorter stem. I believe the medium frame runs a 70mm stem.
    I tested out a large Wednesday and wasn't overly stretched out...but it was too big for me, check out the saddle height.That's why I figured I could go with a medium. I just hope the small isn't going to make me feel cramped.

mtbr member
    Um, yeah, that saddle is pretty low. Here is how mine ended up. Med is okay.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

banned
    Nov 2008
    Um, yeah, that saddle is pretty low. Here is how mine ended up. Med is okay.
    I tried out a Medium Salsa beargrease Carbon as well, and felt perfectly at home on that bike. What size is yours?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey, can I ask any of the gracious folks in here to measure the standover on a medium ICT?
    I'm 5'8" with shorter legs and my Medium ICT Ops with a stock setup fits great.

Here is what it looks like:

Front
    Surly ICT thread-tt_front.jpg
    Middle
    Surly ICT thread-tt_mid.jpg
    Back
    Surly ICT thread-tt_back.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i 5'8 too and 16" feels just avesome

banned
    Nov 2008
    Seems like a personal preference of liking a smaller frame or one a little bigger.

I'm diggin the purple.

What length stem are you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Seems like a personal preference of liking a smaller frame or one a little bigger.

I'm diggin the purple.

What length stem are you running?
    590ett is quet M size i think)
    45mm stem 760 handlebar

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

ICTOPS

Sunday Funday Ride

Still getting her dialed in, but she is awesome. Nailed a few lines that I have never been able to clean successfully on any other bike ever.

ICT OPS = Large Frame
    I = 6'

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DoNotPay View Post
    I'm 5'8" with shorter legs and my Medium ICT Ops with a stock setup fits great.

Here is what it looks like:

Front

Name:	tt_front.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	1036861
    Middle

Name:	tt_mid.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1036862
    Back

Name:	tt_back.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1036863
    Thank you VERY much! This clears up everything for me. In fact it looks like the ICT has a lower Standover than my RM Thunderbolt, which is completely in contradiction to the published geometry numbers. To Surly's credit, it looks like their numbers are spot on. Don't know what the guy at RMB was on when he measured the standover on the Medium Thunderbolt!

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Pug Ops for a couple years now, but when Surly put everything on sale I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade. Here's my new ICT Ops with a few upgrades. I replaced the BB7s with a set of Shimano SLX hydraulics and swapped out thumb shifters. I also swapped out the Nate 3.8" tires for 4.7" Bontrager Barbegazis setup tubeless. This thing is a blast.

Surly ICT thread-20151220_085654.jpg

mtbr member
    I tried out a Medium Salsa beargrease Carbon as well, and felt perfectly at home on that bike. What size is yours?
    my BG is a small but I wanted it that way, tighter, lighter, more nimble for racing. SO wasn't a factor really in my considerations, I spend more time RIDING the bike vs STANDING over my TT
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,i couldnt resist the sale prices,especially with a shop discount on top...

never even rode it stock...
    wolf tooth 28 tooth chainring
    xt 11 speed 11-40 cassette,shifter,and derailleur
    expedo spry pedals
    salsa bars off my krampus,soon to be replaced with race face atlas bars
    hope space doctor stack spacers
    vee tire bulldozers..

Surly ICT thread-dsc03487.jpg

banned
    Nov 2008
    You snooze you lose. I went to my LBS today to order a small and they are all gone. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by cka3o4nuk View Post
    590ett is quet M size i think)
    45mm stem 760 handlebar
    Yeah my small Cotic Bfe is 577mm top tube length and the medium is actually 590mm on the money. So I'm guessing the ICT small isn't so small which is good for me at least.

my BG is a small but I wanted it that way, tighter, lighter, more nimble for racing. SO wasn't a factor really in my considerations, I spend more time RIDING the bike vs STANDING over my TT
    Makes sense if you're racing it. Cool bike BTW.
    Last edited by goforbroke; 12-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I see many are running 1X. Has anyone seen / tried this:

http://www.sunrace.cz/dokumenty/sunrace2015.pdf

they seem to produce a 10 speed that is up to a 42 around the same $ as just a 42 tooth cog aftermarket. With this, no surgery required for the stock slx cassette as it is a swap and no need to buy XT to avoid surgery.

I am going to stick with 2X since I got my 32 ring on now. But this looks like an interesting option.

just wondering...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I see many are running 1X. Has anyone seen / tried this:

http://www.sunrace.cz/dokumenty/sunrace2015.pdf
    I've seen that some Cannondales are coming spec'ed with that Sunrace 10p cassette. They seem to shift pretty well and look like they are constructed well. Might a bit on the heavier side but that's not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New Frame bag

New frame bag for my ICT Ops.

Surly ICT thread-framebag.jpg

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoNotPay View Post
    New frame bag for my ICT Ops.

Name:	framebag.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	1038075
    Do you happen to know what frame bag # that is? (2,3,7 or 8?). Also what frame size is that?

I tried a #2 on my Med Wednesday and it was too small despite it being the size recommended on Surly's own charts. So I'm thinking a 3 or 8.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

LCW
    mtbr member

Surly ICT thread

I think a medium would fit be fine, need be if I'm a little stretched out I would just run a shorter stem. I believe the medium frame runs a 70mm stem.
    I tested out a large Wednesday and wasn't overly stretched out...but it was too big for me, check out the saddle height.That's why I figured I could go with a medium. I just hope the small isn't going to make me feel cramped.

I'm 5'6 with 29.5 inseam. I ride a Med Wednesday. Sizing feels perfect to me. I'd highly suggest you try out the small before pulling the trigger. While you may like a smaller fit than me (l like to be a bit stretched out) I'd think that it would be too small. The bars might hit your knees on tight turns type of thing.

My M Wednesday came with a 70mm stem stock (the surly specs say 80mm but it's either wrong or my bike got the wrong stem. Either way, the 70 feels just right)

EDIT: it seems Surly corrected the stem lengths in their size charts. XS & S get 60. M & L get 70. XL gets 80.

EDIT 2: it appears that indeed they did mid-production: https://surlybikes.com/blog/post/the...re_they_change
    Last edited by LCW; 12-28-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    For those of you running front suspension on your ict, what length travel are you running and what's your a2c length (I'm aware that the stock fork is 483).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Do you happen to know what frame bag # that is? (2,3,7 or 8?). Also what frame size is that?

I tried a #2 on my Med Wednesday and it was too small despite it being the size recommended on Surly's own charts. So I'm thinking a 3 or 8.
    Sure. The tag on the inside has a "7". My bike is a Medium frame. It's a good fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The wife surprised my with an ICT for Christmas. I have been talking about this bike for some time and we had gotten my 10 yr old a Specialized RipRock (Mid-Fat 24 inch) for Christmas, so she green lighted me a couple of days before. I had lucked into this bike, which was built up from the frame and decked out with a really nice parts kit. I really fought with the idea of picking up a new ICT Ops from the Surly sale but the gentleman I bought this from was very knowledgeable and great to work with, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on here. His love of Campagnolo and Steal bikes was considerable.

The boy and I have ridden everyday since Christmas and have really enjoyed it. We hit the local trail yesterday and both of us were grinning from ear to ear. His little setup floats great for his 65lbs and the Ice Cream Truck is everything I has hoped it would be.

Name:  DSC_0001.jpeg
Views: 1433
Size:  17.3 KBName:  DSC_0008.jpeg
Views: 1433
Size:  21.6 KB

Man, I miss K.C. singletrack! Nice video.... thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hoping for some sizing help/feedback. Looking to order an ICT Ops ASAP, but there are no Surly dealers near me and even within several hours no LBS have any Small or XS for me to try. I'm a XC type rider, and will be doing a lot of bikepacking on the new ride. Snow isn't a concern, as I live in FL (although sand riding will certainly occur, and I'm sure I'll take it up north now and then, but I don't want to build/buy based on snow riding).

I'm 5'4" with a 29.25" standover (think short legs longer torso). My last hardtail was a '93 Kona Kilauea with a 14" seat tube and 21" top tube (RIP, frame finally gave up the ghost after over 20 yrs on her). My road bike is a 49cm Bianchi with a BB to saddle rail measurement of 23.5" and effective top tube of 20.5".

My best guess is I could do either a Small or XS. Based on measurements alone, I would say XS. The only real advantage I see with a Small instead would be a slightly larger main triangle to allow for a bigger frame bag. The top tube measurements are almost the same.

Thanks in advance!

Coop

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^It sounds like you understand the what to look at, but you should keep in mind that this bike was designed to have a shorter stem than an old school mtb.
    XS = 22.6"
    SM = 23.2"
    and if you care alot about standover
    XS = 28.0"
    SM = 29.3"

Sounds like you are leaning towards the XS and worst case scenario there is you have alot of seatpost showing and a longer than stock stem with alot of steertube. If you go small and it is too big, then its hard to make it smaller. . .

On a seperate note. . . WE GOT SNOW!!!!1!!!!111!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the feedback...jealous of the snow! I grew up in the Appalachian mountains in western NC, and definitely miss riding in the white stuff.

Like a FirePlug
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycoop View Post
    Hoping for some sizing help/feedback. Looking to order an ICT Ops ASAP, but there are no Surly dealers near me and even within several hours no LBS have any Small or XS for me to try. I'm a XC type rider, and will be doing a lot of bikepacking on the new ride. Snow isn't a concern, as I live in FL (although sand riding will certainly occur, and I'm sure I'll take it up north now and then, but I don't want to build/buy based on snow riding).

I'm 5'4" with a 29.25" standover (think short legs longer torso). My last hardtail was a '93 Kona Kilauea with a 14" seat tube and 21" top tube (RIP, frame finally gave up the ghost after over 20 yrs on her). My road bike is a 49cm Bianchi with a BB to saddle rail measurement of 23.5" and effective top tube of 20.5".

My best guess is I could do either a Small or XS. Based on measurements alone, I would say XS. The only real advantage I see with a Small instead would be a slightly larger main triangle to allow for a bigger frame bag. The top tube measurements are almost the same.

Thanks in advance!

Coop
    I went through this same thing. I'm 5'5" 28.5" inseam. What helped is that I ride a small Karate Monkey. I compared the measurements between the two, knowing I've shortened up the stock stem on the KM and ride it more as a cyclocross, with big tires. I went for the XS. I'm glad I did. After building it up and getting a few miles in it feels just right, like a fun BMX cruiser. It's a blast on the single track near me - on the dirt and in the snow.

I wasn't looking for something to bike pack with, just something that would be a blast on the trails , and I found it.

Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks! Sounds like I'll be ordering the XS. Curious for those who ride rigid, do you miss the front shock or plan to swap? I'm just thinking that when I order it that would be the opportune time to have the shop swap everything needed if I'm going to end up going that route anyway. I haven't ridden full rigid since the early 90's!

Like a FirePlug
    [QUOTE=Happycoop;12390580]Thanks! Sounds like I'll be ordering the XS. Curious for those who ride rigid, do you miss the front shock or plan to swap?

I haven't noticed, the tires soak up a lot. There's a review on fat-bike.com and the author threw a Bluto on the ICT and said it was a big improvement. If I had the $ I'd love to try it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That would be great if the Medium Ice Cream Truck fits a #7 frame bag, because that's also the recommended size frame bag for my Medium Ogre. Okay now you've got me thinking...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast