Surly Big Fat Larry - no reviews on MTBR???- Mtbr.com

Surly Big Fat Larry - no reviews on MTBR???

So I'm doing my Moonlander build and I'm really flip-flopping between getting some BFL's used, as there are many local's who have them for a good price... or waiting and getting the Bud & Lou.

I was really surprised to find there are actually NO reviews on the BFL on MTBR. Come on fat bikers... support your favorite website!!!!

What's the verdict? Do they work just fine in snow/sand and are you happy with them? Do you think the Bud and Lou are going to be much much better, or will the BFL's be just fine for a budget-conscious person like me?

=========
    So I'm doing my Moonlander
    giggity

Read the larry reviews and increase the size of the type by about 20%.

g
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Got my Moonie this summer so I can't attest to any snow capabilities yet. IMHO I think the BFL's are a great all around tire. They might not be the best at any one thing, but they are really good at a lot of things. I've been riding primarily single track on them, It's been really dry around here all summer so everything is hard packed and sandy sections just grow bigger everyday. They are terrific for these conditions. They roll really well over everything and float well in the sand, plenty of traction, turning and grip is solid. Off road I run 9F - 10R psi. I've commuted a few times on them too. Very reasonable rolling on asphalt. I have no problem recommending them as a great 3 season tire.

OTOH - I was lucky enough to get a hold of a set of Bud and Lou's as well about a month ago. These are serious tires with crazy aggressive tread. The traction is amazing, they just stick to anything. Climb like crazy. They don't weigh much more than the BFL's , but the difference in rolling resistance is marked. Momentum killers on hard pack, but then again that's not really what they are built for. In sand the Lou's paddled through it a bit better than the BFL's. I prefer a faster rolling tire to aggressive tread on average, so I'm back on the BFL's for now. But I can't wait to the get the Moonie in some white stuff and really see how these tires perform.
    Last edited by rumblestrip; 10-09-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Good enough for me. Thanks. I'm in MN too, where did you manage to snag those tires early?

You should copy and paste that into a bfl review. The 2 on the Larry are really weak reviews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Good enough for me. Thanks. I'm in MN too, where did you manage to snag those tires early?
    I'm being investigated by the SEC for insider trading, so I can't say anything about that until the whole thing blows over.

Human Test Subject
    I've got a Bud and Lou on order but am gonna keep my BFLs for summer and hardpack use too. On loose stuff they tend to spin out if my weight isn't exactly right. The climb from the long meadow lake trail to American Blvd is particularly annoying.

aka bOb
    No doubt in my mind (which isn't saying much) the Bud and Lou are going to kill it in the winter. That being said I will still rock the BFL in the summer and NEVER ever going to run the Husker Du in the summer again!

mtbr member
    I rode my 9-0-7 with BFL's on Clownshoes today for the first time on a slightly technical trail. The bike handled very well but the rear tire did slip a lot when going around a tight up hill corner with some leaves down. Also noticed on some roots I was getting a little slip.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/my-...ld-813801.html

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wishing my fatbike (2012 135mm offset 9:zero:7) was fat enough to evaluate the Bud + Lou combination, as my suspicions lead me to believe it’s a better combo than the 26"x3.8" Nates front and rear. Tread is even deeper by 1mm—although it doesn’t sound like much, I am sure it will be noticeable.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    That being said I will still rock the BFL in the summer and NEVER ever going to run the Husker Du in the summer again!
    What's wrong with HD? You posted recently: "Very excited for the Bud and Lou in the snow, for single track and summer riding I will stick with the HD's" So what went wrong with HD?

=========
    I got to ride Bud and Lou at the Dirt Demo at interbike for a few miles. I think it takes more than just a few miles to properly review a tire. I like to ride a tire under a variety of conditions and substrates before I recommend them. I see that some of you are reviewing tires that you've never ridden. If you cats can review tires that you've never ridden, can you review tires that have never been brought to market yet? Like the tires of 2015? I would really like to hear about how the tires of the future ride.

You guys are amazing!

Post #3 pretty much nailed it for the OP

Frt Range, CO
    One thing I've noticed about Moonies and BFLs is that many folks run the rear "backward". I switched mine at the beginning of summer and it's much better on technical climbs, I don't think I'll ever change it back to "forward".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    One thing I've noticed about Moonies and BFLs is that many folks run the rear "backward". I switched mine at the beginning of summer and it's much better on technical climbs, I don't think I'll ever change it back to "forward".
    That's a great idea. I will do it when I get home from NC. I will also be trying to go tubeless again, ghetto method this time.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBiker1972 View Post
    What's wrong with HD? You posted recently: "Very excited for the Bud and Lou in the snow, for single track and summer riding I will stick with the HD's" So what went wrong with HD?
    Sorry for the confusion, do to a hip problem I fell out of love with my fat bike. The rolling resistance was killing me and I hated the thing. If I rode it I was done for a week with riding. Then I sold a wheelset and put my BFL's on to get ready for winter and bam I could ride the thing again. Don't get me wrong I really like the HD's but the rolling resistance was just a little more than I can handle and truly the BFL's do a ok job on summer single track at least as hard as I can ride right now. Sorry again it's a personal problem not the tires.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    I got to ride Bud and Lou at the Dirt Demo at interbike for a few miles. I think it takes more than just a few miles to properly review a tire. I like to ride a tire under a variety of conditions and substrates before I recommend them. I see that some of you are reviewing tires that you've never ridden. If you cats can review tires that you've never ridden, can you review tires that have never been brought to market yet? Like the tires of 2015? I would really like to hear about how the tires of the future ride.

You guys are amazing!

Post #3 pretty much nailed it for the OP
    Funny I didn't see any reviews on this thread from people who haven't rode these tires yet. I will stick to my statement that in my opinion that these tires are going to be good in the snow and I have ridden enough different snow conditions to know that these tires are going to be as good or better than the current offerings for my needs at least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry for the confusion, do to a hip problem I fell out of love with my fat bike. The rolling resistance was killing me and I hated the thing. If I rode it I was done for a week with riding. Then I sold a wheelset and put my BFL's on to get ready for winter and bam I could ride the thing again. Don't get me wrong I really like the HD's but the rolling resistance was just a little more than I can handle and truly the BFL's do a ok job on summer single track at least as hard as I can ride right now. Sorry again it's a personal problem not the tires.
    This is very interesting information and also important for me, since I'm choosing a summer fat tire for the rear. Endo is a bit short of traction, and Nates lack of rolling ease. I thought both HD and ultralight Larry (in reverse) would have enough traction on the rear for my needs. My understanding form the forum reading was like that: HD has better traction and not much (if any) higher rolling resistance, than Larry. Seems like opinions differ... Could you please tell in which direction your BFL runs on the rear wheel? Also on which rim (width)? Was the width on a rim for HD the same or different? Thanks
    P.S. Was it 120tpi HD?
    Last edited by IceBiker1972; 10-11-2012 at 07:37 AM.

aka bOb

Bonking ... not feelin' well

This is very interesting information and also important for me, since I'm choosing a summer fat tire for the rear. Endo is a bit short of traction, and Nates lack of rolling ease. I thought both HD and ultralight Larry (in reverse) would have enough traction on the rear for my needs. My understanding form the forum reading was like that: HD has better traction and not much (if any) higher rolling resistance, than Larry. Seems like opinions differ... Could you please tell in which direction your BFL runs on the rear wheel? Also on which rim (width)? Was the width on a rim for HD the same or different? Thanks
    P.S. Was it 120tpi HD?
    Yeah it's tough when we need to go off of other people's opinions and even reviews. My Hd's are the first model which I think are 120 tpi but not the ultra light, I think they both came in around 1325-1350g. I will double check the tpi when I get home but they where the first and only ones available at the time. The Hd's where mounted on home drilled Rd's and the BFL's are mounted on Uma 90's tubeless with the rear mounted reversed. Wish I could be of more help but I do know what my hip was telling me and it said the Larry was faster and carried the speed better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Hd's where mounted on home drilled Rd's and the BFL's are mounted on Uma 90's tubeless with the rear mounted reversed. Wish I could be of more help but I do know what my hip was telling me and it said the Larry was faster and carried the speed better.
    Thank you!
    A part of the success of BFL could be the tubeless mounting, possibly.
    In any case now I regard Larry as a variant. Another one might be Knard 3.8"

aka bOb
    Thank you!
    A part of the success of BFL could be the tubeless mounting, possibly.
    In any case now I regard Larry as a variant. Another one might be Knard 3.8"
    I did do a few XC races on regular Larry's with tubes last summer and if my memory is correct they seemed faster as well.

=========
    Funny I didn't see any reviews on this thread from people who haven't rode these tires yet. I will stick to my statement that in my opinion that these tires are going to be good in the snow and I have ridden enough different snow conditions to know that these tires are going to be as good or better than the current offerings for my needs at least.
    Then I take it back - you are not amazing - you just "know that these tires are going to be as good or better than the current offerings" even though you've never ridden them.

I agree that they look great and they seemed great when I rode them in dirt, but beyond that.....I think I'll wait for REAL ride data collected on dirt-snow-ice-slush, etc.and continue to poke fun at posters that present opinions about tires based on looking at pictures.

I probably used the wrong term by saying 'review' in my previous post. I should have said 'comment'. Either way, you still are probably amazing in other ways.

aka bOb
    Then I take it back - you are not amazing - you just "know that these tires are going to be as good or better than the current offerings" even though you've never ridden them.

I agree that they look great and they seemed great when I rode them in dirt, but beyond that.....I think I'll wait for REAL ride data collected on dirt-snow-ice-slush, etc.and continue to poke fun at posters that present opinions about tires based on looking at pictures.

I probably used the wrong term by saying 'review' in my previous post. I should have said 'comment'. Either way, you still are probably amazing in other ways.
    Any tire review is just as subjective. Besides these are the only other really fat option other than the BFL and yes I can tell you that where I ride these will hook up better than a BFL.

nvphatty

i'm amazing in numerous ways i just can't seem to find them yet...hmmm

Human Test Subject
    Bdundee's hips don't lie.

Sup
    My review of the BFL
    It is a big steaming pile of poop
    It was trying to kill me
    it washes out without warning on snow
    Once you lose grip you end up on your hip
    Nate 3.8 for the win
    Chose life

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Something slipped on SNOW?

Sup
    Something slipped on SNOW?
    I might know a thing or two about that

Sj
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    I am slow therefore I am

The only time falling off a bike is actually fun!

nvphatty
    The only time falling off a bike is actually fun!
    looks to be the case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bought the 120 tpi BFL's for my Mukluk to get more traction in deep snow than the stock Larrys. I rode them a couple times in snow, then went back to the skinny Larrys: the additional weight wasn't worth the extra floatation on snow not because it wasn't noticable or didn't work but because the weight made the bike less fun.

That said, I went down to the Outer Banks for a couple weeks to do some beach riding. On soft sand, the "skinny" Larrys wouldn't cut it; I swapped back in the BFL's and found I could enjoy riding miles of beach on dry/soft/wet sand (to the amazement of others on the beach).

The BFL's definitely have their place and get you through when other tires won't, but aren't my regular tire even in snow. The Larrys work fine for float on snow but do give up in the corners. I'll likely be putting something else on this winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What are the distance snow racers in Alaska using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    dogsleds

Members who have read this thread: 0